Page 960 of 965 FirstFirst ... 460860910950954955956957958959960961962963964965 LastLast
Results 9,591 to 9,600 of 9649

Thread: Latest score

More shots
    Last edited by windweaver77; 10-12-2023 at 12:35 AM.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Even more

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

About seven ounces of Venezuelan Bolivars for melt

About seven ounces of Venezuelan Bolivars for $20 per ounce or so.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Hey Josh,

I've looked at your pics so many times and I still can't really tell if it's a "D" or an "S" or just a piece of pushed metal. Sometimes it looks like an inverted mintmark, and sometimes it looks like it's just pushed metal from PMD.

Here are some diagnostics from PCGS and NGC that may help:

The 1916-D Mercury Dime is a rare coin that is often counterfeited. Here are some diagnostics to help identify genuine coins123:
    The strike is usually very sharp and 80% or more of the mint state survivors have fully struck crossbands.
    Luster is typically modest.
    Many examples have some degree of toning.
    Compare the position and shape of the mintmark to known genuine examples. Counterfeiters often use the wrong mintmark style.
    Look for unusually weak details.
    The inside of the "D" is triangular in shape, and the serifs are not pointed. The mintmark stands tall and is crisp and well-defined.
    Of the four reverse dies that were used, two show repunching on the mintmark, leaving a notched effect in the upper left serif. The non-repunched mintmarks do not display the notched effect.

Even from good photos sometimes it's very difficult to determine authenticity, especially when a coin is in a very low grade. I wish you lived closer so I could see it in hand! I'm hoping you ended up getting one; it just seems doubtful at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    Hey Josh,

I've looked at your pics so many times and I still can't really tell if it's a "D" or an "S" or just a piece of pushed metal. Sometimes it looks like an inverted mintmark, and sometimes it looks like it's just pushed metal from PMD.

Here are some diagnostics from PCGS and NGC that may help:

The 1916-D Mercury Dime is a rare coin that is often counterfeited. Here are some diagnostics to help identify genuine coins123:
    The strike is usually very sharp and 80% or more of the mint state survivors have fully struck crossbands.
    Luster is typically modest.
    Many examples have some degree of toning.
    Compare the position and shape of the mintmark to known genuine examples. Counterfeiters often use the wrong mintmark style.
    Look for unusually weak details.
    The inside of the "D" is triangular in shape, and the serifs are not pointed. The mintmark stands tall and is crisp and well-defined.
    Of the four reverse dies that were used, two show repunching on the mintmark, leaving a notched effect in the upper left serif. The non-repunched mintmarks do not display the notched effect.

Even from good photos sometimes it's very difficult to determine authenticity, especially when a coin is in a very low grade. I wish you lived closer so I could see it in hand! I'm hoping you ended up getting one; it just seems doubtful at this point.
    That would be a fun road trip Haha

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    That would be a fun road trip Haha
    Ha ha! Probably! The one road trip I'd like to make would be heading up to Tim Marschner's LCS up in Manchester, New Hampshire, getting to meet him and making some purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    Ha ha! Probably! The one road trip I'd like to make would be heading up to Tim Marschner's LCS up in Manchester, New Hampshire, getting to meet him and making some purchases!
    Let go before the snow flies!
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Sounds like a rendezvous to me. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Okay, okay! I just have to get rid of a few of my organs first, so I can bankroll this little adventure...

Oh, wait. Never mind, guys. I just realized that I spent all of my disposable fiat. See, what happened was: I met this guy at a gas station, and he said he just needed some gas to get home, and he sold me these magic beans (for cheap!). He had a bunch of 18k gold jewelry too. It was marked and everything, but I ran out of money, so I just went for the beans.
    Last edited by bronkster1967; 10-23-2023 at 07:32 AM.