Page 910 of 963 FirstFirst ... 410810860900904905906907908909910911912913914915916920960 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,100 of 9625

Thread: Latest score

Well, in NY State unless you purchase from a private seller, or you buy at a coin show, you have to pay tax at the LCS's unless you buy at least $1,000 in bullion at any one time. It does not count per item, only per transaction. So, for example, if you are looking to buy a bunch of silver rounds or ASE's at an LCS, they'll more than likely charge you tax unless it meets that $1,000 threshold. Whereas if you're at a coin show, you can buy just one coin and it does not have to meet that threshold. In other words, you will not have to pay NY State tax of 8% on the dollar.

That's why I often do much of my buying at the coin shows. An added benefit is that there's at least some competition and you can choose whom to buy from. The prices are almost always better than buying online, plus you can bring trade bait and use it instantly to upgrade into things you want more than what you have, if you so desire. Obviously at most LCS's, it's take it or leave it- you can only buy what they have there. The selection at coin shows is much better, especially if you're early or get there when it first opens.

That's why I often do much of my buying at the coin shows. An added benefit is that there's at least some competition and you can choose whom to buy from. The prices are almost always better than buying online, plus you can bring trade bait and use it instantly to upgrade into things you want more than what you have, if you so desire. Obviously at most LCS's, it's take it or leave it- you can only buy what they have there. The selection at coin shows is much better, especially if you're early or get there when it first opens.[/QUOTE]

all good advice.

Problem with coin shows in upstate NY during the winter is the chance of needing a 4x4 with chains to get home. Unlike with the military there's no hazzard pay for sleeping in a snow drift.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

My son and I traveled to a coin show in Phili and then another in NY a few months back. I could not believe how high the prices were. My son was in search for a decent flying eagle, ungraded 1857 VF selling for 100-300 and au $1400. We ending up picking a certified AU on ebay for $250. Cull morgans were tagged for $70-80!

Quote Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
    My son and I traveled to a coin show in Phili and then another in NY a few months back. I could not believe how high the prices were. My son was in search for a decent flying eagle, ungraded 1857 VF selling for 100-300 and au $1400. We ending up picking a certified AU on ebay for $250. Cull morgans were tagged for $70-80!
    Wrong shows. Prices near NYC and I'll guess near Philly are driven by demand and there's always someone willing to over pay. Go to the smaller regional shows in out of the big cities where dealer hunger drives prices towards more what you are willing to pay. But items to be found can be limited to coins on hand. In any case, as local demand goes up so does the price. Of course, shopping around online for deals works too as long as you can trust the seller. In the past, I bought a lot of bullion off eBay where online dealers would sometimes have better deals than on their own websites. Then eBay decided to start adding sales tax to all PM purchases even when the state I live in tax law said no tax should be collected.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Grabbed this for $26.65 shipped

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...1-duid-1514201

Composition:*Silver

Fineness:*0.9250

Weight:*35.7000g

ASW:*1.0617oz

Melt Value:*$25.20 (1/25/2022)

Diameter:*39mm

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18272.html

So is it worth more in its original container?
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Wrong shows. Prices near NYC and I'll guess near Philly are driven by demand and there's always someone willing to over pay. Go to the smaller regional shows in out of the big cities where dealer hunger drives prices towards more what you are willing to pay. But items to be found can be limited to coins on hand. In any case, as local demand goes up so does the price. Of course, shopping around online for deals works too as long as you can trust the seller. In the past, I bought a lot of bullion off eBay where online dealers would sometimes have better deals than on their own websites. Then eBay decided to start adding sales tax to all PM purchases even when the state I live in tax law said no tax should be collected.
    good advice again by an upstanding forum member here. i still buy regularly from ebay online dealers from the daily deals page when i see approximate quarter fractional foreign gold or nearly full ounce fractional foreign gold coins. just this month i bought 2 separate 100 korona's that way and no tax was levied to me. i have been charged tax on ebay bullion purchases a couple times in the past though, i seem to remember. they do not seem to be 100% consistent charging the tax here in swfl.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Grabbed this for $26.65 shipped

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...1-duid-1514201

Composition:*Silver

Fineness:*0.9250

Weight:*35.7000g

ASW:*1.0617oz

Melt Value:*$25.20 (1/25/2022)

Diameter:*39mm

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18272.html

So is it worth more in its original container?
    nice score. beautiful coin. although i do not think it is worth much more in the original container, it does show that it is not touched by human hands attesting to it being as high of a grade as possible i think. i would leave it in the package unless it is a problem stacking it for you. i suspect you have several other purchases that are still in the original packaging though.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    nice score. beautiful coin. although i do not think it is worth much more in the original container, it does show that it is not touched by human hands attesting to it being as high of a grade as possible i think. i would leave it in the package unless it is a problem stacking it for you. i suspect you have several other purchases that are still in the original packaging though.
    There is a special stack of stuff in original packaging, you are correct. Usually stuff packaged like this coin tends to be from the Franklin mint.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

@Maxwellsilverhammer: Thanks for the kind words, Max. It gives me a comfortable feeling knowing that I can help fellow stackers merely by pointing out a few possibly constructive/helpful tips- even to guys as knowledgeable and experienced as yourself. The free exchange of ideas in forums such as this is IMO, beneficial to everyone. I've learned and utilized much of the information gleaned from other members here- yourself included. So, thank you for that.

@jiggysmb: It's true. There's no cut-in-stone perfect place to find bullion or numismatic coins. Sometimes stalking, finding and capitalizing on online deals is the way to do it. It's difficult for anyone to compete against online shopping, if only for the fact that the "audience" of prospective buyers is so much larger, and you can sometimes set your own price. (The more impatient or unknowledgeable buyers might click that buy-it-now button just to get something) Yet sometimes a coin show is still best. It really does depend on what one is looking for at any given time as well as what's available. I'm the type of guy who likes to be able to see it, touch it, taste it and smell it. It doesn't matter if it's clothes, food, coins or whatever- that's just me. I want to be able to hold something in my hands and ascertain, in this instance, if a coin is what they say it is. If it's genuine; and if in the case of a coin such as a Flying Eagle Cent where grade definitely matters, if it's really the grade that the seller has assigned to it and/or if there are any other undisclosed issues. Clearly, it does help if such a coin is graded by one of the top 2 or 3 3rd party grading services because that will at least generally put you in a close ballpark.

IIRC, you and yours own a shop, so you understand the ins and outs of business. Knowing this, you also understand the costs involved in owning a brick-and-mortar store as well as having a traveling-type business where there are additional costs involved- set-up table fees, additional insurance, travel and fuel costs, etc., etc., that they may try to attempt to make up for, so like anything else, not all coin dealers are the same. Some are trustworthy, some are not. Some are greedy, some are not. Everyone's trying to make a profit, and I'm like you also- I want to be able to buy the best coin available for a reasonable price. I don't mind a dealer making some profit as long as I'm still getting a good deal.

@Windweaver77: I think you're spot on, dude. That nice, BU .925 SS coin probably was made by the Franklin Mint for that country. It's a 52-year-old foreign coin in nice shape, it's "better" than .900 silver (more purity) and it has the original holder. You're also right in that except in very few cases will that add any extra premium, if any. This is because the demand just isn't there for that particular coin. If you caught the right collector who just HAD to have it, then maybe, but probably not likely. Whereas if it were say, one of the GSA Carson City Morgan Silver Dollars from 1972 in the original holder (same general time period, but with much higher demand), with original papers and box, that'd be a whole 'nother story. Incidentally, after clicking on the link to the NGC website, I noticed that one of the designers was Gilroy Roberts- who was one of the more recent US Mint Chief Engravers (he died in 1992). So, some (reasonably) well-known engravers and designers have actually worked for firms such as the Franklin Mint. Just thought it was interesting.

@LongDonSilver: You brought up some great points. Just like not all coin dealers are the same, not all coin shows are the same, either. Large city coin shows, especially ones close to NYC or Philly or LA or the Fun Show in Florida will have such a variety of dealers and correspondingly, different dealer prices that it's crazy to not shop around- just like anywhere else for anything else. This is why it always pays off to establish good relationships with the same dealers who regularly attend the coin shows you go to- just like many of us here often talk about establishing good relationships with LCS dealers. To me, it's the same thing.
    Last edited by bronkster1967; 01-25-2022 at 02:09 PM.