Page 466 of 963 FirstFirst ... 366416456460461462463464465466467468469470471472476516566 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,660 of 9625

Thread: Latest score

Busy night at the coin collector's club...first off I won a door prize a 1974 Bicentennial First Day Cover John Adams coin.Then I won $30 cash in the sideboard raffle. Then I bought a 1982 Proof George Washington Silver Half Dollar in a nice display box, then I bought a Proof Canadian Flying Goose Silver Dollar in a nice case....then to top off the night I won a 1957 Proof Silver Quarter in another raffle. All coins are in perfect mint condition !!

Bought a 1964 Kennedy Half from the bank teller yesterday. I walked up to the window and spotted it in her tray right away. I put down 2 quarters on the desk and asked for a half dollar. She grabbed the first in line... I said can I have the one in the back of the line? Oh, that's a silver half!!! I think she had tears in her eyes as she handed it to me.

Not the greatest score, but the best .50 cents I spent in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dough Boy View Post
    Bought a 1964 Kennedy Half from the bank teller yesterday. I walked up to the window and spotted it in her tray right away. I put down 2 quarters on the desk and asked for a half dollar. She grabbed the first in line... I said can I have the one in the back of the line? Oh, that's a silver half!!! I think she had tears in her eyes as she handed it to me.

Not the greatest score, but the best .50 cents I spent in a long time.
    but it could be the start.

first of all you spent 0, zero!..you exchanged fiat, metal fiat for silver......we have our primary bank hold all 90% for us, and even the occasional foreign coinage.

YES IT COULD BE THE START.... though re-numerate the tellers and you will have a wonderful relationship in the fact they can pull the 90% seen and you can pay them for it, what you feel is right...

we have been set up with our local branch for a few years doing such...we obtain anywhere on average from $1.50-$7.00 a week face value in 90%, at times we have had scores of over hundreds of dollars face, of 90% through them, let alone many numis, a few valued in the hundreds of dollars there too...... it happens and we make certain they are happy, the bank mng okays it, and they will continue to go that extra mile for you as they do us.......at times that have had patrons try to deposit rolled pennies, and held those for us..
    ya can not go wrong trying.

best, good post for #1....welcome to the forum dough boy!!

try it and be honest with them...we give them grocery store gift cards we give them X4-X8 face depending.. we make it worth their while.....granted we are good friends with the branch manager and her manager above her, granted we order several hundred boxes of pennies a month for our sorters, granted that know we love coinage, granted we keep a fair sum of monies in their bank....just saying..ya have a good thing there..make it work, or someone else might.. paying face just will not cut it once they realize values......but it is a relationship that works and we foster...the tellers are all single moms for the most part.... if not re-numerated they certainly can keep it themselves or sell it, if wise, and they are wise...be fair, let management know.. i hope it works out for you.. i have promoted this "trade" for the several years i have been on this forum, the relationship is still strong, even with turnover of managers and employees...

to this day i am surprised more folks on our forum do not attempt this, at least an initiation of attempting... all parties can be happy!!

INCT

Picked up a 1 oz poured Phoenix Precious Metals bar at my lcs for $23. Looked it up on ebay and it is selling for $50.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMarsh View Post
    Picked up a 1 oz poured Phoenix Precious Metals bar at my lcs for $23. Looked it up on ebay and it is selling for $50.
    when out making rounds at the LCS's i will frequent in oh say a 10-25 -100 mile radius from my home base, to look through bins and possibly a silver piece they have held or saved for me that they let me know through a call or email...... i still often enough find several each run after hitting a dozen or so stores.....most are bought at spot plus, minimal plus, cause i bring goodies with me always to offer up in trade or gift even... many of the older bars and rounds will go straight to the bay for that premium if i know the bar will fetch realized prices well above spot.. otherwise it goes to a client with a small markup from my outlay.... good find Ryan.. the fun factor is the best imo, even over profits....they are out there and many local LCS's do not give a hoot about conductibility.. some still to this day send ,any wonderful old bars off to melt, even with the knowledge ebay can provide them.. it still happens though less frequently than it did just 4-5-6 short years ago..... a shame.... on the rare occasion i find the best sheet, a very rare piece that still that will fetch x2-x3 or more of spot.. it is a constant desire....

INCT

INCT

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    when out making rounds at the LCS's i will frequent in oh say a 10-25 -100 mile radius from my home base, to look through bins and possibly a silver piece they have held or saved for me that they let me know through a call or email...... i still often enough find several each run after hitting a dozen or so stores.....most are bought at spot plus, minimal plus, cause i bring goodies with me always to offer up in trade or gift even... many of the older bars and rounds will go straight to the bay for that premium if i know the bar will fetch realized prices well above spot.. otherwise it goes to a client with a small markup from my outlay.... good find Ryan.. the fun factor is the best imo, even over profits....they are out there and many local LCS's do not give a hoot about conductibility.. some still to this day send ,any wonderful old bars off to melt, even with the knowledge ebay can provide them.. it still happens though less frequently than it did just 4-5-6 short years ago..... a shame.... on the rare occasion i find the best sheet, a very rare piece that still that will fetch x2-x3 or more of spot.. it is a constant desire....

INCT

INCT
    Sound like a sweet set up you've got with those lcs captain. Appreciate the kind words! When I spotted the bar I told him he might want to check it out on eBay and see what it's going for there but he also said it wasn't worth his time. I'll happily put it up and try to make a couple bucks haha. Thre a guy at my coin shows info to that sells odd poured bars so I might have to pick a few up next month.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMarsh;2321164[B
    ]Sound like a sweet set up you've got with those lcs[/B] captain. Appreciate the kind words! When I spotted the bar I told him he might want to check it out on eBay and see what it's going for there but he also said it wasn't worth his time. I'll happily put it up and try to make a couple bucks haha. Thre a guy at my coin shows info to that sells odd poured bars so I might have to pick a few up next month.

ryan all can do it.. no monopolies here and we are all in many regions..

set up a run, establish yourself, and run it once a month, or keep in touch by phone and asking if they have anythng unusal...exactly some of thes old timers especially, can not be bothered to sell on the bay..but many do.........to them, to some, silver is silver either resold at the shop or to a rfiner depebing on their buy point.. let others work for you, an LCS owner can do that...just sayin sir.... make it happen..unless ya live in the middle of no where i do not see whay ya can not.. ya cant win if ya dont play!!

INCT

Last score for a long long long long long time ( crosses fingers) $12.57 for these two. $2.58 for the fish scale the rest on the Greek coin that books for much much more ( if I had a buyer which I do not haha but I still should not have bid on).

Country Canada
    Years 1858-1901
    Value 5 Cents (0.05 CAD)
    Metal Silver (.9250), Copper (.075)
    Weight 1.167 g
    Diameter 15.494 mm
    Engraver Leonard Charles Wyon
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces420.html

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/w...860-duid-62250 Country Greece
    Years 1893-1895
    Value 20 Lepta (0.20)
    Metal Copper-nickel
    Weight 3.9 g
    Diameter 21 mm
    Thickness 1.35 mm
    Engraver Alfred Borrel
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10206.html
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

counting on a soon to be latest score, been home most of the week on the computer doing necessary sheeeet, catch up, fires to put out, etc etc etc.....maybe a bit ahead of myself....time now to be off to an appointment i look forward to...

one aptt, that i hope adds some pm's to my stack and to others..later today to a trade of antiquities with a wonderful picker from MA, just back from 5 weeks west of the Mississippi, and south of 4 corners region of the US...

then to an expert on Persian carpets later this afternoon, i obtained a few good specimens at the site of the estste sale,rugs from the NW Persian region, rugs i believe that are important, and better yet in demand still..... worn well but from the late 1800's to early 1900's... late last week i was called in to appraise and give descriptions for several objects for an estate sale that starts tomorrow here in CT, down Greenwich Connecticut way, where the big boys commute into NYC from their sleepy quaint little, well staffed 16k sqft homes...lol!!!....

usually i take a fee of $200-$300 for that work, instead i talked the folks holding the estate sale out of the rugs on the floor, talked yes, but also paid $10k on speculation for 2 long runners and 3 large rugs, one a 27' x 21'..and one runner 32' by 30"...i believe i know my carpets well enough, today i will see.. i have not seen many recently of this age, and crafted from this geographical area, which was the NW region of what was Persia...the one long runner had camel hair and silk in its border, never have i seen such, all made with single loop knots, and dense..kinda like a good set of sheets?..many knots per sq inch.. and theses have just that.. ..that area was known for the best quality and craftsmanship, which is now of course Iran and one could say Afghanistan, though i feel these are from the Iran region?? obviously hand woven and with out labels, they have age! i can see several modern repairs...to me that is a good thing, meaning someone conserved them for a reason....

the folks who are running the estate sale were over joyed at my offer and took it without qualms for the rugs, which i made sure i left the property with last Thursday.... my check to them cleared so i own em!!!

INCT

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Old Sterling British Empire coins make up a fair percentage of me stack haha(demonstrative of how small my stack is). The Fish Scales make up a fair percentage of those... ( usually I do not pay $7.50 for one though)
    hehe...I got some grampy coins i looking at caus you got me thinking about that old good numi windweaver...I called to place an order but the guy was outta the office, so i got me some pretty smooth proofs instead.....I got my grampy list on my desk tho. I gonna get some old odd silver cause that stuff is fun and is always a good buy to me. You can be a bad influence on a guy weav..hehe...Its all good fun tho