Page 461 of 963 FirstFirst ... 361411451455456457458459460461462463464465466467471511561961 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 9625

Thread: Latest score

last night i closed a deal on a 50 plus year, mostly US coin collection, from a gentleman selling out...... numis mostly, with several bullion bars.. old bars though..... almost 200 ounces in .925/.999 bars, all from the 1970's or prior....

nice score.... obviously to be a break apart and sell score, that is wonderful...... we will stack a small % of the contents, maybe 30-40 of the numis to either upgrade or compliment our collections.... that alone is sweet...

we have been in contact for 2 plus years, when he first called me.... we met in 2009 at a local coin show in east haven CT..... i parted with $110k last night..... his asking price was $125k then when we first met to discuss the collection............... and was $125k last night...

not a gamble, not a jackpot...just a solid collection, many slabbed and graded .900 numis, all slabbed are AU58- MS65 (over 800 coins ngc/pcgs) ... appox 100 older slabbed coins from various grading companies of lesser quality grading and suspicion...).... 38 varied dansco like, filled albums...

several boxes of raw ungraded numis, ALL NUMIS.. i have not seen them all yet... ......... a small shoebox of error coins, all pre 1970 on the errors... hundreds of medals, hundreds of world coins, hundreds of tokens both love and civil war and early, world coins are all silver content from .500 upto .925.... 24 varied smaller gold coins, very early, all gold pre 1900...much paper currency, frns, some as stiff and smooth as the day they were printed... overall quite an eclectic mix.... the collection boxed in plastic crates weighs well over 150lbs i believe... one way to describe the volume

he started out collecting after he purchased a full IH penny collection at age 28 at a estate auction in copake NY..... all the IH's except 2 are UNC... quite a collection of CC coinage lies within also, he stated he and his wife paid $300 back in 1970 for the IH's in one small box, then collecting coins became a passion...... times have changed!!...

it is sweet all in all, biggest collection i was able to obtain this year, so far... quite a source of varied coinage and paper....felt privedged to be able to purchase from him...he is fairly well known in the coin world locally as far as coin shows and dealers, and the circuit of small coin shows in CT and MA region....

it has been a few good days of buys as far as bullion, and .900 and then this collection popped back into my world...i could not pass it up..

INCT

Sounds like a great score and experience captain.

20140812_085130 (640x360).jpgRepatriating US 90%

On a recent trip to Canada, I decided to stop into a coin shop to see whats what. I asked if they had any US junk silver. First they acted like they didn't know what I meant, then they went to the back and came back with a box of 90% silver. I asked how much - they said melt. So I ended up with $75.60 in mostly nice halves, for $1,100.00. Pretty happy, since many of the halves are in real good shape. If you are in the US and like US 90%, and you are anywhere the Canadian border, that's the place to buy!

20140812_085130 (640x360).jpg
    Last edited by NYLAWBIZ; 08-12-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Awesome score Captain. It would be exciting to have such an opportunity.
    Thanks for sharing.

Question...
    Why did he sell to you rather than a shop or other venues where he would have most likely gotten more money? My presumption is he wanted cash in a lump sum. And I know my LCS barely meets overhead. Which brings to mind another question... Perhaps a dumb one, but do coin shops work from a credit line or limited to on hand capital?
    I'm also curious how you derived your price. Did he have an itemized inventory? Or did you have to physically go through it and create your own? I'll probably never have such an opportunity, but, a little education just in case won't hurt.

Thanks.
    Last edited by CaptainW; 08-12-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Wow! Did I read that correctly? $110,000 for 200oz's...like $550/oz?

There must have been some unique pieces...care to share a few?

Another small but cool score got a 1717 2 reales for $8 can read the date but its worn down.
    Got a 2001 libertad for $23. Got a gold 1906 5 pesos for $160. That will hold the itch for a lil while!

Working down in Tucson today...."the old Pueblo", as they say, and stopped in a LCS appropriately named Old Pueblo Coin. Dug through their generic silver box and picked out a handful of items that interested me @ $22/oz. Most should be flipable.

First Ntl. Bank of Evergreen Park 25th anniversary .999 1 oz bar, swiss made
    1990 Sunshine mining round
    1984 Engelhard American Prospector round
    1982 Anamax mining company "Safety Award" round from the Twin Buttes Mine (local mine south of Tucson)

and... a 1991 Mexican 1 onza, plata pura.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Steven View Post
    Wow! Did I read that correctly? $110,000 for 200oz's...like $550/oz?

There must have been some unique pieces...care to share a few?
    from what i can see...you did not read the entire post.. it is all there.....the bullion was a small part of the contents, steve.. the bars are older 1 ounce art bars as many would classify them....that will garnish $28 to $50 each as an average, i will not stack any of them, to me they are common enough .999 bars, and i have all of them, many in replications of X10-X20 or more...i bought for the contents total and the many numis that are raw, but beautiful... they need to be slabbed, that is how nice a large % of them are.....quality coins, by grade and mintages overall..he had a knack of buying higher grade coinage when raw...

to answer captW.....i own no shoppe per say at all, but i have oulets to sell in brick and mortar, and online and many clients who i know what they prefer...

it was his price asked to start, he was offerd less by 2 LCS's i am assuming, assuming only, he did not say since i also know he knows one of the coin store owners here, and he mentioned trying to work with another in SW MA... i had viewed the collection on 2 ocassions, both times pawing through it and a "so called inventory" was included, which was not a complete one by any means,...i will visit both LCS's and see what they thought of the collection, some time this week.. imo, when i had the offer down to $110k, i was hopeful he would not walk..he did not walk, he accepted it....

INrainyCT, though it looks and sounds like it let up a bit since i awoke at 415am..

INCT

i simply bought cause i saw potential to profit as it is sold and broke down to sell piece by piece.. i saw that i needed to send another 200-300 coins to grade...which turned out to be 375 coins now that i am done sorting...he also sold to me i hope because i was fair and we had established a relationship over a few years..

after fully sorting now, i am very happy with the purchase.. yes cash was most likely the biggest reason for his selling to us, after much haggle and discussion i was able to get him down to the $110k, he is a man that holds his cards close to his chest, and chooses to live quite a bit off grid, especially in financial ways....they are fully retired now and looking to raise monies to move to AZ, downsizing as they prepare to go... simple economics on their part i suppose...

we kept $9-$11k worth of numis, at grey sheet values, and what we sell on the bay will net us, i hope and foresee at least another 10k to 15k profit, all in all,,
    simple economics is all i looked at, and the return on my investment of buying the collection.... so we obtained a few coins for our collection, and we will proit when selling, when all is sold, or close to it.....it will all sell, that i know..

best

INCT

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Steven View Post
    Just picked up 19oz of numis this week. These are a couple of them...

Won this one for $5.52 shipped. There wasn't mention of silver anywhere in the description/title. I believe the 1943 Fiji Florin and the 1932 honduras 50 centavos equal .50oz of silver. That would be $11/oz. If anyone sees anything else in that pic let me know. I don't have it in my hands yet and the pic is hard to read.

1827, 1830 and 1852 Mexican 2 Reales silver coins. Paid $8.27 shipped for all 3. Silver content is around .58oz, so about $14.25/oz

1884, 1890, 1910, 1916 and 1941 UK One Shilling. Paid, no joke $10.40 shipped. Silver content around .75oz ---13.87/oz

And what week wouldn't be complete without 1988 Canadian Olympic Silver Coins. These coins seem abundant here in Canada. I believe the taxation on sterling keeps these guys unpopular. I bought these for $34.84 or $17.42/oz

Not every purchase I made were this good. I did pay over spot for a few items, but these cheaper buys help me get premium coins I wouldn't normally buy.

Overall my 19oz's had a DCA of $21.30/oz
    Those were all great scores.. the mexican stuff is really really really nice.. The British stuff even more so haha. Way to go !!!
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

not silver but fun fun fun $3.25 shipped for 18th century bronze ...
    BTW listening to Lewis Black... he is talking about social security and FICA taxes over $100K I am pretty sure Lewis Black just lost a bunch of cool points with me..
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon