Page 454 of 965 FirstFirst ... 354404444448449450451452453454455456457458459460464504554954 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,540 of 9641

Thread: Latest score

Default foreign base metal coins overlooked OFTEN for numi value!!

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    That is some pretty cool stuff.

I paid $1.99 shipped for 30 grams of bronze... ( a .21 cent value)

Country Spain
    Year 1870
    Value 10 Centimos (0.1 ESP)
    Metal Bronze
    Weight 10 g
    Diameter 30 mm
    Thickness 1.6 mm
    Engraver L. Marchionni
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2735.html

would you have bought it?
    Also I have to stop buying stuff just to get mail

me personally no i would not have bought........no need.....but i was once as you are now..... but all good... though Josh, keep in mind when searching foreign coinage,,.. be it on the bay, or bins, or lots and collections, at fleas, coinshows, antique stores, any second hand venue, hell one time last fall, at Goodwill in a small town of Monroe Connecticut my wife brought home a bag of foreign coins, from Goodwill...it wass marked with a color code that translated to $5.. after sorting we posted them to one of our ebay sellers here in CT and that %dollar bag realized over $800 dollars in foreign nuims, and one silver coin with .XX silver weight, worth 3$... only one coin had .500 silver in it...that one caught lynns eye....

one lesson i learned over the last 30 plus years.... bae metal forign coins if found on the secondary market...especially estae and yard or tag and garage sales are worth invetigating.... even when you get zilch!!

while always looking for silver content in foreign coins... one should never forget the numismatic values of many made with base metals.. were all looking for that ASW in a coin...right?? as we should maybe.....

i regularly find "lots of foreign coins at several antique shopss i frequent in CT, MA and NYstat and NH/VT.. theses antique dealers are not numismatic minded..they may check a few and then offer them in baggies, or groups.. and they do profit... I can not tell you how often we find numismatic , numis of foreign countries in these lots.. so grossly mismarked as in 20coins for $5 dollars... or 5lbs for $25 ...whatever...
    well ya get the point..

you need to get out more....... and get to the coins...not let the coins get to you..... through ebay.... just saying.. it shows ya love foreign coinage.. in 15 years you should be the best in your field...and i do not mean RT!!lol!!

usually anything listed on the bay ?..the seller if they lack knowledge?? you can bet a ebay buyer will see the TRUE numismatic value in many FOREIGN BASE METAL coinage... just like the US numistaics in base metal, foreign numismatics are there......rare, limited mintages, place of mintage, commeration of whatever, many countries, many regions ya may not have eber heard of....all can be pressed with base metals that one may just pass the coin or coins off as "foreign junk", "oh, no silver content, next"...one can not be more wrong at times....
    as long as you are learning along the way, you will be fine... hey what is the deal with needing mail!?

foreign, base metal coinage, especially of antiquity, and some contemorary and modern coinage also of course lies waiting for the sharp eye and sharper mind... a lot easier then finding slamming deals on US numis, that is for sure...... many, foreign coins hold good values, but most are older and those numi values are seen in many publicatons that have been covered here on this forum, from krause to others...it is an under inspected genre of coins for many here in the US......

i have bought lots, of say 200 foreign coins, 100, 40lbs, 5 galln buckets, etc etc, especially from antique dealers that just do not have the education.....thier thinking is.." i bought them for $25...i will ask $50... boy at times have they missed what was right in front of their noses......after researching larger lots, ya might be amazed......

when we come across such, after purchasing, several are then listed on the bay or at fleas, BECAUSE they are rarer foreigns, and yes made with base metals often... remember there are not two sides to anything..but 3 sides at least...investigate each side...yeah, i know a cheesy metaphor... but there is $$$$ there in base metal foreigns if ya know your stuff.........much larger profits are realized often with these the finding coins with partial silver content, that are uniquly common......like anything, become interested and a quick study, it can do wonders for your collecting and profiyitng on flips, then to go purchase precious metals...

if you are learning as you go..all good...if you are passing off base metal coins as no-value...re-evaluate your thinking.. in general to anyone.. much money is there on the table.... condition as always plays an important role usually..usually but with many exceptions as the main rule...condition...then rarity.

enjoy josh..... one of thees days i will send out another batch of foreigns..but of course they will old ASW..one of these days..not today... ripping up asphalt in maggie valley and areas around here... life is good....

'best!!!!!!!!

INNC

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    [/SIZE][/B]

me personally no i would not have bought........no need.....but i was once as you are now..... but all good... though Josh, keep in mind when searching foreign coinage,,.. be it on the bay, or bins, or lots and collections, at fleas, coinshows, antique stores, any second hand venue, hell one time last fall, at Goodwill in a small town of Monroe Connecticut my wife brought home a bag of foreign coins, from Goodwill...it wass marked with a color code that translated to $5.. after sorting we posted them to one of our ebay sellers here in CT and that %dollar bag realized over $800 dollars in foreign nuims, and one silver coin with .XX silver weight, worth 3$... only one coin had .500 silver in it...that one caught lynns eye....

one lesson i learned over the last 30 plus years.... bae metal forign coins if found on the secondary market...especially estae and yard or tag and garage sales are worth invetigating.... even when you get zilch!!

while always looking for silver content in foreign coins... one should never forget the numismatic values of many made with base metals.. were all looking for that ASW in a coin...right?? as we should maybe.....

i regularly find "lots of foreign coins at several antique shopss i frequent in CT, MA and NYstat and NH/VT.. theses antique dealers are not numismatic minded..they may check a few and then offer them in baggies, or groups.. and they do profit... I can not tell you how often we find numismatic , numis of foreign countries in these lots.. so grossly mismarked as in 20coins for $5 dollars... or 5lbs for $25 ...whatever...
    well ya get the point..

you need to get out more....... and get to the coins...not let the coins get to you..... through ebay.... just saying.. it shows ya love foreign coinage.. in 15 years you should be the best in your field...and i do not mean RT!!lol!!

usually anything listed on the bay ?..the seller if they lack knowledge?? you can bet a ebay buyer will see the TRUE numismatic value in many FOREIGN BASE METAL coinage... just like the US numistaics in base metal, foreign numismatics are there......rare, limited mintages, place of mintage, commeration of whatever, many countries, many regions ya may not have eber heard of....all can be pressed with base metals that one may just pass the coin or coins off as "foreign junk", "oh, no silver content, next"...one can not be more wrong at times....
    as long as you are learning along the way, you will be fine... hey what is the deal with needing mail!?

foreign, base metal coinage, especially of antiquity, and some contemorary and modern coinage also of course lies waiting for the sharp eye and sharper mind... a lot easier then finding slamming deals on US numis, that is for sure...... many, foreign coins hold good values, but most are older and those numi values are seen in many publicatons that have been covered here on this forum, from krause to others...it is an under inspected genre of coins for many here in the US......

i have bought lots, of say 200 foreign coins, 100, 40lbs, 5 galln buckets, etc etc, especially from antique dealers that just do not have the education.....thier thinking is.." i bought them for $25...i will ask $50... boy at times have they missed what was right in front of their noses......after researching larger lots, ya might be amazed......

when we come across such, after purchasing, several are then listed on the bay or at fleas, BECAUSE they are rarer foreigns, and yes made with base metals often... remember there are not two sides to anything..but 3 sides at least...investigate each side...yeah, i know a cheesy metaphor... but there is $$$$ there in base metal foreigns if ya know your stuff.........much larger profits are realized often with these the finding coins with partial silver content, that are uniquly common......like anything, become interested and a quick study, it can do wonders for your collecting and profiyitng on flips, then to go purchase precious metals...

if you are learning as you go..all good...if you are passing off base metal coins as no-value...re-evaluate your thinking.. in general to anyone.. much money is there on the table.... condition as always plays an important role usually..usually but with many exceptions as the main rule...condition...then rarity.

enjoy josh..... one of thees days i will send out another batch of foreigns..but of course they will old ASW..one of these days..not today... ripping up asphalt in maggie valley and areas around here... life is good....

'best!!!!!!!!

INNC
    TY captain... and yes I need to get out more. I will when time is more available. Been mowing yards and doing house repairs with what little time I am not at work sleep or school. But you are correct about the base metal foreign coins. There are bargains to be had, and bargain a plenty. Just to demonstrate.

This coin series is base metal and virtually worthless unless you have a few key dates in a few key denominations in the right condition. the 1957 5,25,50 peseta. here are the price lists. coin is copper nickel.
    http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/w...id-8969-duid-0http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=11410

But yeah... there are many examples of base metal coins that can bring big bucks in auction. You just have to know it exists and you can work from there. I am very limited for now in my ability to search out these fine things. But the second year of school is supposed to be a lot easier than the first and I have a pretty good grasp of what is going on clinically when doing my rounds already. My preceptors leave me to do the work unsupervised except on the more difficult tasks that would probably require a helpful hand anyway. But there is always room for improvement so improve I shall

But those old nasty diez centimos sure will fit nice in my collection for less than the price of a sandwich , if nothing else they could make a fine gift for a nephew or some one walking down the street. Plus , I must admit there is nothing like getting some mail with a little jingle to it. I am sure many here know just what I mean . Basically for $1.99 I paid for the experience of Christmas, opening up my little present and finding something new... Even if I know what it is all I have seen is pictures so there is still that experience of it first hand... always something to that. You can know the dimensions you can see the photos .. but holding it in your hand is where ti is at. Whether it is a disappointment or a great surprise the other direction, it is a day making experience for some one who has little time to get out and enjoy themselves.

Perhaps it is a sad testament to my life of late, but I like to think of it as a healthy hobby that is not breaking the bank ... yet. SO far as more coins heading my way... I would be most grateful, as always, and rest assured the babies would have found a fine home. I have my collection coins and my bullion coins if you know what I mean... I am starting to separate the two in my mind. My plan going forward is to make two separate purchases per month once the powder is a bit more forthcoming. The first will be the usual $100 but it will go toward collector stuff... there are a few crown size coins I would like to have an example or two of and actually some are not crown size. I am having trouble finding a 1933 una peseta for example... well one withing a reasonable persons budget haha.

look at me blubbering on... and yes I realize catalog prices are rarely realized... but imagine , especially in this country, the old timer collections that slip through the cracks. There are opportunities out there as you say. I also have noticed a huge uptick in competition on the bay in my stuff of choice :P I suppose that is a good thing in the long run... should sell time ever come.

Thanks again for the tips and insight , as always best wishes El Capitan !!!

P.s. I have some of the 5 centimos from 1870 in really nice shape... but I love the lion design , being a Leo and saw these and had to make a .99 bid the dollar shipping did not seem unreasonable for three 30MM coins. But yeah... a steal it was not. But big old lion coins are pretty sweet at bargain bin prices ...

OK got things to do work and school school and work.. take care ( going to try to respond to some more posts)
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

At $2, I'd have bought them. They're pretty cool.

captainsilverton is right on the money: If you have time and resources, foreign coinage can be a moneymaker. I have bought small lots from other forums I frequent and tag sales I happen on. One of the last ones I bought for $25 NETTED me over $800 on eBay. I was so happy with the results, I sent the guy I bought it from another $100.

Bought this Phoenix Precious Metals bar for $130 at a show today. Looked it up on Ebay and saw that PNG sold one for $175.

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces33676.html
    Country Austria
    Years 1811-1816
    Value 20 Kreuzer (1/3)
    Metal Silver (.583)
    Weight 6.68 g
    Diameter 28.3 mm
    Shape Round
    Got this for $5.24 shipped. looks liek an 1815B to me will be able to tell better when I get it in me hand.
    Last edited by windweaver77; 07-26-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

$26/ounce? So long as you really like it and wanted it bad enough...well okay.
    paying $5+ over spot for a 5 ounce bar is something I would not do...
    in fact I recommend to friends, do not overpay for what is essentially, generic silver.

If your into overspending on silver, at least buy something with a potential Numismatic value.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMarsh View Post
    Bought this Phoenix Precious Metals bar for $130 at a show today. Looked it up on Ebay and saw that PNG sold one for $175.

When looking at completed EBay sales that seems to be a fair price for these bars.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=5+...=1&from=refine
    Last edited by RyanMarsh; 07-28-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMarsh View Post
    When looking at completed EBay sales that seems to be a fair price for these bars.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=5+...=1&from=refine
    It is a cool looking bar.
    Besides that, you’re the guy who decided he wants that particular bar and was going to purchase it with his own money / past efforts.
    Can’t say I’ve never paid a $5 premium but over the past several years no.
    Seems there are many here who are quick to mock anyone who spends more that 79 cents over for something other than a blah looking Round.
    Enjoy your score (that you spent your own money on, not anybody else’s).
    Also I’m in the school of if you don’t believe Silver will ever have its day over $26 again you shouldn’t be buying it…. Go make your Nickels and Dimes somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinnj View Post
    It is a cool looking bar.
    Besides that, you’re the guy who decided he wants that particular bar and was going to purchase it with his own money / past efforts.
    Can’t say I’ve never paid a $5 premium but over the past several years no.
    Seems there are many here who are quick to mock anyone who spends more that 79 cents over for something other than a blah looking Round.
    Enjoy your score (that you spent your own money on, not anybody else’s).
    Also I’m in the school of if you don’t believe Silver will ever have its day over $26 again you shouldn’t be buying it…. Go make your Nickels and Dimes somewhere else.
    That is true I bought this bar with my own money and i do really enjoy it. I dont take any offense to what freedom said though. I'm young and have at least a decade before I really plan on sellin my silver. Being young also means I can make mistakes even though I don't consider this particular buy a mistake. All in all I'm very happy with this buy. I went to a show and had a great time with my grandpa and left with a sweet lookin bar.
    Last edited by RyanMarsh; 07-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.