Thread: Milkspots

Default Milkspots

I've read a few threads on milkspots, they seem to happen predominately to maples. I was wondering if they are also known to occur to other types of coins such as ase, philharmonic, libertads, pamps, generics (coins/bars), etc. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenLotus View Post
    I've read a few threads on milkspots, they seem to happen predominately to maples. I was wondering if they are also known to occur to other types of coins such as ase, philharmonic, libertads, pamps, generics (coins/bars), etc. Thanks!
    many silver items will tarnish in different ways due to how stored and how old, and manufacturing process, etc...
    RCM has the issue from the process after minting i believe that causes mikspots...????

i do have other bullion with similar looking milk spots as the RCM products too, but not really the same as the Maples.... so yes all may tarnish, spot, a bit over time... call it what you may...

INCT

i think just about all silver can get milk spots, ive heard phils can get them and i have a few eagles and libertads with milk spots, but they are tiny spots. Maples are really the only one to worry about.

Also the wolfs are bad , I guess anything from RCM

Quote Originally Posted by jejones3329 View Post
    Also the wolfs are bad , I guess anything from RCM
    a wolf is just a maple leaf coin but from the wildlife series, all of the wildlife series has the same milkspot issues.

Milk spots are primarily rampant at the RCM because they don't clean their dies often enough. They are on the coins when they are created, but it's like invisible ink. It doesn't reveal itself until the coins enter a humid environment without being sealed or capsuled. The US is much more humid than Canada.

I have some philharmonics that are relatively milky as well, mostly around the rim, and even a couple pandas with tiny spots. I've seen a Perth koala and a series 2 tiger once each with one tiny milk spot, but have never seen milk spots on an ASE or Libertad.

Some of my cougars look like they've been blasted with a shotgun full of milk. Really ugly. I've heard dipping them in household ammonia cleaner should clear them up, but I haven't tested it. Some people use jewelry wipes but they can leave scuffs. Pencil erasers work too.
    Trading fiat currency for precious metals is not an investment. Rather, this amounts to disinvestment from currency mandated for tax purposes. Gold and silver are money. Currency is merely a medium of exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenLotus View Post
    Philharmonics are notorious for milk spots and I have seen them occasionally (maybe 1 out of every 300 ounces purchased) on silver eagles. Never saw one on the libertads, Britannias, Perth mint products etc.

It does have something to do with the cleaning process at RCM and I can pretty much guarantee Austria is doing very similar. Cant explain them on the eagles but I have seen it.
    Buy Low Sell High

Keeping it simple with the Eagles, Maples and Krugs....