Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If PMs and dollar down, what has value?

Quote Originally Posted by jbsilver View Post
    In my local area bank ( Elgin ,Illinois) rates are in 0.20%-0.55% range. See screen grab below... the first two banks are online offers from Pensylvania, you can contact Ally or Barclays only by phone or sendening a letter to P.O. Box in Pensylvania...

[IMG][/IMG]

POS needs to increase just 1%.... (currently it means price increase $0.30) to beat return those banks offer.
    Imo your chart reinforces my point. 1% or more is an exceptionally high abnormality, where as .5 is closer to the norm (or less).
    "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Knowledge talks, wisdom listens."
    - Jimi Hendrix

United we stand, Divided, we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorian View Post
    Fact: the silver dollarprice tripled since 2008.
    Fact: the purchasing power of the dollar didn't decrease 200% since 2008.
    And you see silver as negative?
    Is this a practical joke topic?
    My reaction?
    Hereby a big thankyou to all those that stacked silver since 2008 and had confidence and trust in their fellow stackers. We now represent already $20 of the silver price, and the manipulators just $9. They'd need to exit all their positions, in other words: totally leave the silver market and block all buying during the time they need, to bring $20. And then they would just have run out of means to manipulate lol, with stackers replacing them in the $20-30 price range and their stocks being dried up.
    Where did you get the $20 ("stacker") & $9 ("manipulators") stat? What about industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Killver View Post
    PMs are taking a strong downward push, yet dollars buy less and less (groceries, cars, motorcycles, antiques, all sorts of daily-life stuff is sky-high)...

Is there hope for PMs?
    yes.........

Here's my take on the OP question.

We live in an economy where inflation is expected. A good example of this is the FED creating 2% or 3% inflation a year. We can debate whether the actual inflation rate is higher, but to keep it simple the FED makes it clear that 3% or so inflation is needed to prevent deflation which they claim would be bad for the economy.

Everywhere you look there's inflation. Health insurance, oil, gas prices, food, etc. In essence everything you NEED. Companies increase the prices for these items, however, they're much less apt to decrease the prices when the underlying commodities fall in price because the thought is you NEED these items and inflation will kick in again sooner or later. It's easier to manage the prices of these items upwards versus up, down, up, down. Think of it as a monopoly of sorts.

No one in the U.S. NEEDs gold or silver to survive. Hence it's not an item that will just continue upwards in price. Unless of course the FED prints too much money, confidence in a nation's stability or currency is lowered or these commodities start to become scarce.

It’s my belief we're in the eye of the hurricane (in the U.S.). So the prices of silver and gold tend to fall lower during this quiet time and may possibly be pushed lower if you’re into conspiracies like myself. However, none of the problems that got us to where we are have been solved. Deficits, off-shoring, gap between rich and poor, deregulation of the financial industry, fraud, etc are all still alive and well. It’s only a matter of time before another crisis occurs that causes the price of silver and gold to increase. I like to think of gold and silver as insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by seascape195 View Post
    Banks at 1 or 2%, where are those banks? Imho thats pretty good if you can find that at any bank around me anyway...
    Right. My 'bank' (government-backed swindle) offers 1/10 of a percent 'interest' and has tried to CHARGE US for keeping money there. Wasn't able to do this -yet- but they will keep trying. Note how we are now FORCED to have bank accounts or apparently you can't receive Social Security- real checks stopping in 2012, I believe.

I get .5% out of my bank...but they offer 1% in MN and CO for some reason though. Also...Ally is the former GMAC I believe...not so sure I'd want to keep any sort of account in that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorian View Post
    Fact: the silver dollarprice tripled since 2008.
    Fact: the purchasing power of the dollar didn't decrease 200% since 2008.
    And you see silver as negative?
    Is this a practical joke topic?
    Silver price "tripled since 2008" because you conveniently selected the worst price drop in recent history, when silver hit $9. Is that representative of silver in 2008? Not really. Jan '08: $15. Mar: $21. July: $20. Sept: $14. Finally in Oct 'they' finally beat down Ag to $9. Clearly, someone didn't like the rising prices in March-July.

It's not just me. Check the URL below for the views of others. Note title, "Physical silver running out because spot price does not reflect true investment demand". Demand is so high that there is NO SUPPLY in Saudi Arabia, nor in UAE either, it seems. Is this the USA? Nope, but the rest of the world has relevance too. Thus, the article says people could not buy silver because of this very high demand. This is NOT 'free market' pricing in action! How can prices DROP when the demand is so high there is no stock? Answer: just look at 2008 right here in the good ole USA for the identical situation rearing its ugly head. Blatant price fixing in action.

http://www.arabianmoney.net/gold-sil...stment-demand/

"You cannot find silver in Saudi Arabia"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
    yes.........

One thing we do know: at least silver CAN rise- but the dollar CAN'T. So this means we can at least hope for silver prices to change upward (even though they're being chopped down again and again). The dollar index seems to be a positive sign but why don't we see cheaper imports then? The index itself is likely a crooked manipulated slurry of crocodile vomit.

Default inflation is going to hit

the key is DEBT. the govt has way to much. the banks have way to much. the only way out is to inflate the currency. there is no other way. a deflation cannot be allowed, no way to even pretend to pay then. so PMs won't really make you rich but they will keep you above water. I can't figure which is better so I have gold & silver. I don't know when but high inflation is coming. there is no other outcome with the HUGE DEBT everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by coindog View Post
    the key is DEBT. the govt has way to much. the banks have way to much. the only way out is to inflate the currency. there is no other way. a deflation cannot be allowed, no way to even pretend to pay then. so PMs won't really make you rich but they will keep you above water. I can't figure which is better so I have gold & silver. I don't know when but high inflation is coming. there is no other outcome with the HUGE DEBT everywhere.
    Agreed. As far as banks and interest rates are concerned, helthy banks can borrow from the Fed at 0-15 bps. Anything beyond this make me suspicious. I'd steer clear of any teaser options. Just my $.02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast