PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Penny Question

namwalker
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I have searched over 47 boxes of pennies and have found very few 2009's. My total take of 2009's amounts to less than 350 pennies over all four different types with the presidency coins being the least.

I was just wondering if other penny miners are finding similiar results. In fact the 1982 pennies, in contrast, numbered over 3,200. The current box that I am looking at only has 3 2009 coins in it and I'm halfway through the box.

So are findings indicative of what other miners may be seeing? I know that the 2009 mintage were low but this is very strange.

Boldbill67
11-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't see many, if any per box. Several months ago I got a brinks box that had 14 full rolls of only 1 type. maybe 20 total since then. Also never get them in change.

namwalker
11-14-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't see many, if any per box. Several months ago I got a brinks box that had 14 full rolls of only 1 type. maybe 20 total since then. Also never get them in change.

I wonder if other penny miners are finding the same thing. The box I just finished had only 5 2009's. 4 Formative years and 1 professional life.

I searched over $1,200 worth of pennies and have less to show than the 14 rolls that you have.

I also wonder if the mint has released all of the mintage for this year or if there are some still sitting on shelves along with the Presidential dollars. The only coins that I have that are fewer than the 2009's is the Canadian pennies. Which is also strange considering the number of Canadians who winter down here. I can't explain it. So hopefully another poster can. In the meantime I'm going to continue to pick these coins together with the 1982 & prior.

SecretArgentMan
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
and found two 2009 pennies. ...

... you want 'em?

coindog
11-15-2011, 06:02 AM
the mass marketers and TV pitchmen grabbed a lot of them up and created a "shortage" which caused the collecting world to try and do the same. the economy was way down so banks didn't need any new coinage for their stocks so they sat at Fed branch banks where the promoters grabbed them by the pallet load and sold them for a huge premium ($5) a roll for each type. now all those "collectors" who were going to sell them have no buyers and the price is way down. kinda the same pattern the state quarters followed.

maxwellsilverhammer
11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
so the question remains... should we keep them? i find more wheats than these.

coindog
11-18-2011, 12:21 AM
so the question remains... should we keep them? i find more wheats than these.

maybe keep a few as a 1 year type if bright BU coins. no real value going forward because as I posted there are thousands of BU mint rolls stashed away now in collectors hands. same thing happened to '55 dimes, as it became known how low the mintage was going to be everybody scrambled to sock away rolls and so even though it is a very low mintage they sell for melt now because there are more BU coins than collectors. it's all about how many survive going forward not just the total made.

agmoose
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
I keep only the bright shiny ones. That usually amounts to 3-5 p/box searched. I only started doing that recently though. Once I've got a couple rolls of each type, I'll stop. In fact, I think I'm ready to stop with the Cabins now.....

They are much harder to find that 2010 or 2011's, especially in good condition. Seems like all of the zincs from 2005 and up are really, really quick to deteriorate. I find more BU 90's than 2008's...., but don't bother saving them.

Gumby_5
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I have rolls and rolls of them from my 2009 penny boxes I went through. I kept all the Lincoln ones I came across in a separate box because I heard something about people paying more for them but in the end I started just tossing them back in the lot with the other rejects.

maxwellsilverhammer
12-02-2011, 09:41 PM
what about the shields? are they worth keeping?