PDA

View Full Version : guess what % of people own gold

ChainSawDave
11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
What % of average Americans own gold or silver ?

I personally have no idea, has anyone heard any figures on this ?

Is it 1 % ? % 5 ? 10 % ? 25 % ?

Right where you live, might several of your neighbors own gold or silver bullion or PM shares ? Or are owners of PMs a RARE breed ?

ChainSawDave
11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
the reason I ask if many or few invest in gold is to try to get an idea of just what might happen IF the USD really went down severely, would 100 million Americans be trying to buy gold eagles or silver bars ?

and IF 100 million people world wide started buying a little gold or silver, would that cause prices to sky rocket to new record prices

Silverix
11-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm in Europe now, after 4 years in California. The PM investors appear to be scarce in both places. I know of two people except me that have PMs. The first one is my brother (about 4 oz gold, and he has gotten the idea from me), and the second is the wife of my former boss in the US - he knew about my hoarding and mentioned that his wife (from France) had some 20 Fr Napoleons that she had inherited.

I voted 5% in the poll because I think that in addition to the PM bugs there must be some people that have inherited PMs, and others that own PM stocks inadvertently through their investment funds.

HARDTACKWON
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm a mgr in the restaurant business, and see 7,000 people weekly, I believe from my conversations that it is less than 1%; I also believe that a vast portion of Americans are probably incapable of providing for thier financial needs for a month without a paycheck. GOT GOLD?????

Commoner
11-10-2007, 09:17 PM
A lot more Americans have PM than you think – they don’t even know it! Have you ever looked into dental? The next time you need some dental work done you can be sure that the price of PM is going to be explained to you. Welcome to a place even safer than a safe deposit box – your mouth. And this my friends is about PALLADIUM!:D

Chinagoldman
11-11-2007, 02:56 AM
In China,absolutly less than 0.1% people own gold. at same time more 100 million people are now investing in stock market. now with chinese stock market declining sharply just as the rest of world and gold price creating all-time new highs one after another,i'm pretty sure there gonna be more and more chinese who are thinking about move some of their money to gold mark.and if so,gold price will soon be much higher than this point!

Chinagoldman
11-11-2007, 03:08 AM
A lot more Americans have PM than you think – they don’t even know it! Have you ever looked into dental? The next time you need some dental work done you can be sure that the price of PM is going to be explained to you. Welcome to a place even safer than a safe deposit box – your mouth. And this my friends is about PALLADIUM!:D

interesting,absolutely right! :D

Palmbchtom
11-11-2007, 06:32 AM
I think the % will never really be known.. since alot of people I talk with ... have some PM's... but don't talk about it.. ( I never stop talking about it.ha! ) And, are we talking any gold? such as jewelry? women have tons of gold jewelry.. most in america is 14kt... and most don't want to give that jewelry up. Now, from what I've always heard.. a good estate plan is to have between 10 to 20% of a person's assets in Pm's...in Asia.. those that can afford gold..like the 24kt kind, and some think it's better than a bank.! I agree.

Prospector
11-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Unguessable. A gold wedding band is considered common, but a great many people don't wear one. A great many people don't recognize any other form of gold. Lots of women have gold ear rings and think they are no different from the other trinkets they have. I have seen a 14K Cross pen lying around in a gas station. The pump jockey found it in the driveway and thought it was just another yellow pen. Some street people used to own gold chains, but only because it was fairly cheap to imitate Mr. T.

I think the average person might own some small bit of gold but doesn't know it unless it is a wedding band or a tooth.

7thDAY
11-12-2007, 10:09 AM
You got to put some sort of threshold level on this. Very few hold PM's as an investment, but if you include jewelery, the percentage goes way up.

NutFlush
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Well everyone I know owns gold . Be it a ring , necklace , bracelet , watch etc. Maybe not buillion but lots of people have gold

the flounder
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I have read many articles about the US government confiscating gold people's gold again like in the 1930's.

If less than 5% of the public own gold in other form jewerly, I do not think it would be worth the effort.

I also think that when the central banks start to fill their treasuries back up with gold and there is nothing left for the common person to buy, the price for the guy on the street will sky rocket upwards

silverbulletgoldcross
11-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I also think that when the central banks start to fill their treasuries back up with gold and there is nothing left for the common person to buy, the price for the guy on the street will sky rocket upwards

I'll sell the central banks my Au at 2700/oz and my Ag at 160/oz. :D

Palmbchtom
11-13-2007, 05:43 AM
you want to own gold? my offer i made when gold was 750 still goes.. 14kt new chain..@ $20/gram.

silverbulletgoldcross
11-13-2007, 05:56 AM
I think most people are invested in gold, but it's just a few grams. That's why pawnshop businesses were so popular many times throughout history.

PeterSunn
11-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I voted up to 5%. But the number is much higher if you include jewelry, as many non-PM'ers would consider that as an 'investment.'

Silverix
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I voted up to 5%. But the number is much higher if you include jewelry, as many non-PM'ers would consider that as an 'investment.'

I can imagine that jewelry bought as investments don't return to the PM markets so easily. People will probably be reluctant to sell when they are offered the real value, a few hundred USD:eek: , for their $4-5,000 diamond rings.