PDA

View Full Version : refining coins

Indianaman79
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
i have a question for people that have refined an item that wasn't 100% (or close to) of a single alloy.

say I have a 1964 dime - its 90% silver and 10% copper. If i sent this dime to the refinery - would i get 2 items out of that dime? silver and copper? or when you send something to a refinery - you specifiy what you want - either the 90% silver or the 10% copper?

Moonstruck
09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
You only get payed for the silver content. Melting coins in small amounts is not going to be a good idea. The costs are to high at this time. :eek:

Indianaman79
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
You only get payed for the silver content. Melting coins in small amounts is not going to be a good idea. The costs are to high at this time. :eek:

I know, its just a theoretical situation, but thanks for the reply.

FriedNietz
10-14-2011, 04:04 AM
I heard a guy on coast to coast the other nite. A survivalist sort who recommended saving nickels. Aside from the 2 or 3 percent immediate gain from the metal value, he says stored in ammo cans and stacked against the wall, they make a darn fine bullet stop. Should you ever need one.

maxwellsilverhammer
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I heard a guy on coast to coast the other nite. A survivalist sort who recommended saving nickels. Aside from the 2 or 3 percent immediate gain from the metal value, he says stored in ammo cans and stacked against the wall, they make a darn fine bullet stop. Should you ever need one.

now that is not a bad idea. let me get my tin hat on first. hahaha

Chump Change
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM

And when the shooting stops, pry open the cans and you are a .....

hundred-aire;)

namwalker
11-12-2011, 01:10 PM

What worries me the most is that someone actually knows this and maybe has tried this out. Why? And how did he find this out?

HighInBC
11-13-2011, 01:03 PM

When the shooting is over you might find some extra copper from the bullets.

Obediah
11-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I heard a guy on coast to coast the other nite. A survivalist sort who recommended saving nickels. Aside from the 2 or 3 percent immediate gain from the metal value, he says stored in ammo cans and stacked against the wall, they make a darn fine bullet stop. Should you ever need one.I live in a Brick home for this reason- around these parts people in Stick homes are dying from random bullets that pass thru Stick walls like they do air in the street(s) out front.

SecretArgentMan
11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
What worries me the most is that someone actually knows this and maybe has tried this out. Why? And how did he find this out?

Here ya go.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/06/home_security_inflation_hedge.html