PDA

View Full Version : Penny Miners - How many boxes of copper pennies do you have?

namwalker
09-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I have been mining pennies for 2 or 3 months and was wondering how many Brink's boxes of copper pennies have other miners stashed away.

Silvercoin
09-27-2011, 12:09 AM
how big is a box?

namwalker
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
how big is a box?

$25 Brinks box = 2,500 pennies

SilverSurfer25
09-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I voted 3-5

Even though I just sold 4 boxes last week and now have less I'm voting as if Ihad them still.

radioone
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Boxes?...... Hahahaha....... Pallets baby..... Pallets..... :)

SilverSurfer25
09-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Boxes?...... Hahahaha....... Pallets baby..... Pallets..... :)

So how bout you tell us how many pallets you have. I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to guesstimate knowing 100$ is about 70lbs.

radioone
09-27-2011, 08:56 PM
So how bout you tell us how many pallets you have. I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to guesstimate knowing 100$ is about 70lbs.

Working on my second now.... First one is stacked about 4 ft high with folgers coffee containers... Each holds a counted $50 face..... Its about $7200 face per pallet...... And yes the pallet sags baaaaad and i had to bridge the sides up on the stack.......About 2/3rds through the second....

Lol :)

maxwellsilverhammer
11-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Working on my second now.... First one is stacked about 4 ft high with folgers coffee containers... Each holds a counted $50 face..... Its about $7200 face per pallet...... And yes the pallet sags baaaaad and i had to bridge the sides up on the stack.......About 2/3rds through the second....

Lol :)

dang dude, you have it bad, i mean you are really eaten up with it. lol
i'm jealous

radioone
11-01-2011, 04:39 PM
dang dude, you have it bad, i mean you are really eaten up with it. lol
i'm jealous

LOL ;)

skip821
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
How do you sell these?

radioone
11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
How do you sell these?

Sell? What is this sell you talk of?......... Lol...... Seriously though, this is a longterm play...... I figure i'll start selling when they are at 4 or 5 times face...... I'm young and have plenty of time......... And have the resources free to speculate on this play :)

misteroman
11-02-2011, 01:24 PM
I thought we copper hoarders count our stock in tons? Working onmy 3rd one here but haven't sorted in months! The $25 boxes of unsorted are getting out of control quick though as I order $250 a week plus random pickups.

Greatwun
11-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I started about 2 months ago but I have about $150 face right now. My Plan is to get to $1000 and hold On to it until it reaches at least 4 times face.

MountainChris
11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
You guys are going to kill me probably, but about a year ago there was a guy on my local craigslist selling $500 in copper pennies for $500. He said that he was hoping they would release the melt ban, but needed money so he was either selling them, or returning them to the bank.

I really regret not picking them up.

BamaJoe
11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm mainly a half sorter, but over the years I've sorted pennies when I was out of halves and felt the urge to sort. Currently have 50 something boxes stacked behind the couch in the living room.

Gumby_5
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I thought we copper hoarders count our stock in tons? Working onmy 3rd one here but haven't sorted in months! The $25 boxes of unsorted are getting out of control quick though as I order $250 a week plus random pickups.

Its funny. I have the resources to get as much as I want but it does not matter what bank I go to and ask for a box they look at me like I am crazy or will ask what do you need so many pennies for or the cashier and the others behind the desk will look over at me with crocked eyes.
I almost want to just order $500 worth up front so I do not have to go through this as often but I have not done it yet.

namwalker
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Its funny. I have the resources to get as much as I want but it does not matter what bank I go to and ask for a box they look at me like I am crazy or will ask what do you need so many pennies for or the cashier and the others behind the desk will look over at me with crocked eyes.
I almost want to just order $500 worth up front so I do not have to go through this as often but I have not done it yet.

If you do order that amount the springs on your vehicle may scream for help. That's almost 300 pounds. I've tried to get $200 in pennies into the house one time and it wasn't easy.

Good luck to you

Gumby_5
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
If you do order that amount the springs on your vehicle may scream for help. That's almost 300 pounds. I've tried to get $200 in pennies into the house one time and it wasn't easy.

Good luck to you

LOL I doubt I will but 300 lbs is nothing for a 2500 HD.

SecretArgentMan
11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Not sure how many boxes I've sifted through, but I now have two coffee cans full of pre-82 pennies. Just in case I need copper for something. :)

Sure wish they were silver dimes... :rolleyes:

Shifty51
12-05-2011, 09:23 AM
FYI, for anoyone who is interested. I average about 430 coppers per box (Box contains 2500 cents) not including Wheats, Indians or Canadians. I'm sure the average is higher or lower depending on the area of the country you are in but in general you are going to have to sort through somewhere between 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 boxes to glean 1 box of copper cents...

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
U guys all have me dominated. How are you guys stacking so many copper pennies? I just sift through the ones I get as loose change. Stacking is taking forever.

Are you guys buying boxes of mixed zinc/copper pennies at your local banks and sifting out the copper ones?

Gumby_5
12-07-2011, 10:39 PM
U guys all have me dominated. How are you guys stacking so many copper pennies? I just sift through the ones I get as loose change. Stacking is taking forever.

Are you guys buying boxes of mixed zinc/copper pennies at your local banks and sifting out the copper ones?

Pretty much. If your just sorting pocket change then you might as well not bother.

MattFish68
01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
You sorters must be using a rysdale or some machine ?

Are people just stacking un-sorted boxes too ? At 25% copper ones in a box ( estimate ) at today's prices, you will have about $15.62 in copper pennies ( melt value / box ) and then $9.95 in zink/cu pennies ( melt value / box )

Is it just easier to stack the whole un-sorted boxes ???

agmoose
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I handsort - a box or two a week. I average just over 22% copper per box. I also search for certain errors and separate the wheats and roll those by decade.

I voted 6-8 boxes, which is accurate, kinda. I stopper rerolling and boxing them up and just throw them all in a sturdy tub now. It weighs over 100 lbs, and I have a couple of coffee cans with $50 face in each of them too.

I'll probably sell off the boxes at some point, I sold 2 at a time for $80 delivered a couple of times last fall ($50 face). Used the $$ to buy silver at the time.

Handsorting isn't tough, and honestly, I wish I had the time to do more. I could easily do 4-5 boxes a week if I ignored the yard, pool, garden, etc. :D

LeBoisslv
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I handsort - a box or two a week. I average just over 22% copper per box. :D

Kudos moose to handsorting. I also sort one to two boxes a week w/ your same percentage of coppers. I have noticed an increase in the number of wheaties per box this past month. Now getting 10 -15 wheats per box. Don't know what's changed, but I like it! Also store the coppers in buckets. About 75 pounds per used paint bucket. Stack 'em anywhere, and they look like just.......used paint buckets.

97guns
01-25-2012, 11:45 AM
i voted 6-8 too but i dont sort anymore, havn't even bought a box of nickels in a year. last count i had $2400 in nickels.

my success rate for coppers was only 15%, the best box i ever sorted was at 18% thats why i turned my attention to nickels, that and im lazy.