PDA

View Full Version : How low will copper go?

Copperhead
09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
$3.80 today down 3.41%. Doctor copper has diagnosed the world's economy as very sick.

Bag of Guns
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
love that Dr. Copper, I remember when she was hot! Very smart too

Copperhead
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
As I write this copper is down to $3.75 or 1.1%. For the moment doctor copper is the only metal Kitco live lists in the red. Even oil is up. So dose doctor copper know something the others don't or it too due for an increase?

chasingbeta
09-21-2011, 01:54 AM
it may be continue now.....................

ccjoe
09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
I hope my wife doesn't divorce me for buying cu instead of more ag:)

Copperhead
09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
$3.57 this morning. Hang in there CC, at least your copper is not leveraged. Think of the beating the paper buyers are taking.

ccjoe
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
$3.57 this morning. Hang in there CC, at least your copper is not leveraged. Think of the beating the paper buyers are taking.

Thanks CU and I think also that it is a hard asset that will never go to zero.

Hammerhead
09-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Did some research into copper about 6 months ago. Looked at several summaries and long term forecasts. The information was not very positive. China stockpiling it as they have, in addition to the general economic slowdown, showed prices projected to fall for the next 2-3 years, with it ending up under $2. Consensus was, there is a glut. Have not been able to locate any serious research disputing this. I'm sticking with gold and silver.

ccjoe
10-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I just saw the head lady for JP Morgan in China last night on Kudlow.
She said that China accounts for 40% of all cu purchased and is continuing it's buying frenzy.
Furthermore there is a SHORTAGE of cu with NO more mines in the immediate pipeline so cu is more manipulated than down due to supply/demand.

Copperhead
10-01-2011, 07:44 AM
IMHO, copper is currently down due to recession fears. Copper is well below it's one year low. So is platinum, by the way. Yes, if we go into a much deeper collapse so goes Dr. copper. But if copper is already down based on the deflation fear it has no where to go but up. Never count Dr Copper out of the race. It goes down quickly, but can reverse itself just as fast.

bandicou2010
10-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree with you guys here...

Even though I am out of base metals right now. I think copper is down because of the perception of what is happening right now, and not really due to supply / demand, which remains bullish (long run). Another problem is the strengtening of the US dollar, which I think is temporary... until Europe resolves the Greek issue...

I'm a little shocked that copper got under $3.25... I think I'll wait for $2.75 before I buy copper shares (FCX)... not really sure it will ever get that low though.

ccjoe
10-02-2011, 09:11 AM
I think this aberrant USD uptick is killing ALL commodities so it's just a question of keeping strong hands till the inevitable plunge of the dollar occurs.
There are too many fundamentals, as we all know, to keep this collapse from happening soon> read months NOT years.

real money 28282828
10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
$3.80 today down 3.41%. Doctor copper has diagnosed the world's economy as very sick.

lets face copper is being replaced, i am a plumber and every one is going to pex water pipe and abs or pve drain pipe....no more copper for plumbing

Copperhead
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
lets face copper is being replaced, i am a plumber and every one is going to pex water pipe and abs or pve drain pipe....no more copper for plumbing

I'm sure that is a major factor but not so much or anything so new to have crashed copper over the past few days.

ccjoe
10-05-2011, 04:44 AM

Thank God pex and whatever CANNOT replace copper for coinage and a store of wealth.

tcg1022
10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Im not 100% sure but I think that depends on where your located and what type of structure your working on. In cheap residential construction no doubt but anywhere that wants a quality product still specs alot of copper IMO.

I see tons of copper pipe still being used! All your cooling systems still utilizes copper plus refrigerant lines and you still have all your copper flashings, wire, and roof products fwiw. Copper is going to be used longer than what we will be around IMO!

Remember years ago copper was substituted with polybutylene and now 10-15 years later maybe 20 all that crap is being pulled out of the homes and being replaced due to it leaking/rupturing.

I have to wonder if we wont see a problem down the road with the new stuff you referenced. Perhaps even some type of health issue with the drinking lines.;)

theycallmemrporterhouse
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Sure copper is being replaced in some areas , Most copper is used for electrical work wire and cable , back in 70's they tried using aluminum wire and cable , didn't work so well , to much resistance causing fire hazards , especially at termination points, connections would get lose from to much contraction and expansion caused by changes in temperature . China must be using a lot of copper on power plants and high speed trains.

TheVision
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Most copper is used for electrical work wire and cable , back in 70's they tried using aluminum wire and cable , didn't work so well

Copper is only used in residential installs. The high voltage transmission lines -- all the way from the generation point to your house -- have been aluminum since the early 1900s.

Copperhead
10-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Copper the big gainer so far tonight. 2.8%. It only takes a few cents to change the percentage with copper.

Scorp
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Copper the big gainer so far tonight. 2.8%. It only takes a few cents to change the percentage with copper.

Doesn't look too good a day later. Found that article on CNBC :

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44931429

"With copper giving up some of last week’s gains, are the metal—and by proxy the market—headed for trouble? Strategic investor Dennis Gartman thinks if copper [HGCV1 3.358 http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/CNBC_Images/componentbacks/watchlist_down.gif -0.02 (-0.59%) http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/CNBC_Images/backgrounds/realtime_icon.gif] (http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/hgcv1) closes down sharply on Monday the market could be looking at trouble.

Gartman is watching the technicals and says copper is currently flirting with some key levels. “You start to break some very important short-term technical uptrend lines,” he said.
And as goes copper, so goes the market, he said."

zostar
10-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Copper got punched right in the nose on Thurs. the Oct 20,
down to $3.03/lb. down almost 7% in a day. Would hate to
see Copper go any lower then $3.

Today Friday is a different story ... Copper back up 5% in a few
hours to $3.20 up .13 in a few hours thats a big move.
;)

Please stay above $3.

Copperhead
10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Copper got punched right in the nose on Thurs. the Oct 20,
down to $3.03/lb. down almost 7% in a day. Would hate to
see Copper go any lower then $3.

Today Friday is a different story ... Copper back up 5% in a few
hours to $3.20 up .13 in a few hours thats a big move.
;)

Please stay above $3.

Yes, doctor copper must believe that his patient, the world's economy, isn't terminal yet. :)