PDA

View Full Version : What is behind the Palladium explosion?

Argiros
10-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here :shakes hands: I've been a PM enthusiast since 2003, but I've not seen a weekly gain in palladium like this week since the prices rivaled Platinum. Does anyone know the mechanics behind such a rise? This to me looks like a HUGE deal. Like some big players are stocking up before a real price jump. Could it be that auto makes - especialy in China - are gearing up to swith to Palladium and are stocking up before hand?

There must be a major thrust behind these gains. This looks like only the What are your valued opinions on this phenomenon.

Cheers,
Argiros

Commoner
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
One idea is...

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=8376

gold stacks
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
like I've said before..it takes very little to make the price move on this stuff... if every gold bug bought just one ounce of this stuff to deversify their porfolio this stuff would sky rocket... I think that in small part my opinion has been playing out this week... all just my opinion..

I recently got 2 ounces of this..what if everyone else who owns pms did the same thing..just think about it....

Hrysophilos
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
don't forget that the Russian cartel managed to get Palladium up to $1075/oz on February 5th and 6th, 2001, on the LME PM close, when Platinum was trading at barely above $600/oz...Palladium hasn't traded at that $1075 double top high since...seems like a bargain down here...I play Palladium through junior explorers...I like to live dangerously:cool:

...welcome to the forum Argiros...the Greek interpretation of your handle suggests that you're a Silverbug

Argiros
10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome Hrisofyle. Actualy I'm a gold bug as far as aesthetics goe, but a PGM bug for long-term returns. I simply used Argiros because I could not think of any other words in Greek that would be a good name that all members could relate to/understand :p

Eisai Ellinas synpatrioti mou; (no disrespect to forumers here - just asking if my mate here is Greek)

like I've said before..it takes very little to make the price move on this stuff
If I remember well, there is about a 15mio oz stock of Pd, twice as much as Pt. So to make a 10% rise in the same week as Pt has a 4% rise means that this would be a purchase of 750.000oz or so. Not just a few bars. This shows me that someone is playing the Pd hand aggressivly. All this especialy during a summer where Nissan say they will use half as much PGM starting in '08, Mazda saying they will use up to 90% less starting in '08, and Daihatsu announcing they no longer even need PGM's in thier hydrogen vehicles!!! Thats 100 grammes per vehicle no longer needed!

To have a bull run in the midst of this news, shows strenght beyond the weak dollar IMO. Big moves are going to be made for Pd Personaly I think that once Pd reservs go down a bit, the price could take off skyward. I'm thinking of buying some tomorrow, but I can't make up my mind...

Hrysophilos
10-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Palladium has many uses besides auto catalysts...I suspect the increase in demand may have something to do with substitution from Gold to Palladium for electronic circuit coatings...just a wild guess

Palladium Uses

http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/palladium_uses.php

g'night

Argiros
10-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Nice link Hrysofile

here is a good one that explains some of my initial question, and mentions some big purchases of the week: http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page35?oid=37928&sn=Detail

Xrysofile dike mou, molis teloiosa na sou grafo ena oraio munimataki, kai molis to postara, mou to esvise, gamo tin poutana mou!! :mad: Deuteri fora pou mou to kanei... sou symvainei kai 'sena katholou; Tora prepei na fullao kathe munima prin to postaro gia na min to xaso... Sixtiri!!

Cheers gents,
-Argiros

joe32
10-06-2007, 06:52 PM
interesting though rather bearish article. It looks like the analyst community has not seen the prospects of future demand for palladium outside the automobile industry. I take that as a good sign. Analysts were bearish on oil until it reached $60 a barrel. Even now, many are still bearish.

NutFlush
10-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here :shakes hands: I've been a PM enthusiast since 2003, but I've not seen a weekly gain in palladium like this week since the prices rivaled Platinum. Does anyone know the mechanics behind such a rise? This to me looks like a HUGE deal. Like some big players are stocking up before a real price jump. Could it be that auto makes - especialy in China - are gearing up to swith to Palladium and are stocking up before hand?

There must be a major thrust behind these gains. This looks like only the What are your valued opinions on this phenomenon.

Cheers,
Argiros

look at 1 year gold silver palladium and platinum charts they always travel in sync. Palladium just caught up this week .

Hrysophilos
10-09-2007, 01:51 PM
so, I don't wish to continue our coversation in Greek, (could be construed as rude and unbecoming behaviour) and I rarely read my private messages (no time)

thanks for understanding

Nibby boy
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Palladium is floundering.

looks like it may not break out as we all thought. its just sitting there. does it even trade?

looks like only a few thousand contracts trade a day. and they're half that of gold. on 1/50th the volume.

what a tiny market. feels so quaint and such.

Argiros
10-11-2007, 01:10 AM
look at 1 year gold silver palladium and platinum charts they always travel in sync. Palladium just caught up this week .

Well put. I also agree that investors have not seen beyond conventional uses of this PM. Good for us. Stock up, its a bargain.

Argiros
10-11-2007, 01:24 AM
so, I don't wish to continue our coversation in Greek, (could be construed as rude and unbecoming behaviour) and I rarely read my private messages (no time)

thanks for understanding

No worries mate, its not about secrets or sneakyness or anything of the sort, but as you know, there are not many of our lot around and I enjoy to converse with a fellow comrade whenever possible. My apologies to anyone that was offended/disturbed.

Personaly I see Palladium with the potential range of USD 600-700 and plat at 850-1150 in the next 4-7 years, assuming that the dollar gets under control (+-par w/euro). I don't see that Pt has that much more upside unless people invest in it for rarity. In that case, skys the limit for any PM. Silver is having alot more production coming online in the next 3-5 years, so upside is not what it could be for gold and Pd, IMVHO.

I'm putting my money on Uranium, gold, and Pd.

One round of Ouzo for all gents here, Opa!

Cheers,
-Argiros

joe32
10-11-2007, 01:49 AM
No worries mate, its not about secrets or sneakyness or anything of the sort, but as you know, there are not many of our lot around and I enjoy to converse with a fellow comrade whenever possible. My apologies to anyone that was offended/disturbed.

Personaly I see Palladium with the potential range of USD 600-700 and plat at 850-1150 in the next 4-7 years, assuming that the dollar gets under control (+-par w/euro). I don't see that Pt has that much more upside unless people invest in it for rarity. In that case, skys the limit for any PM. Silver is having alot more production coming online in the next 3-5 years, so upside is not what it could be for gold and Pd, IMVHO.

I'm putting my money on Uranium, gold, and Pd.

One round of Ouzo for all gents here, Opa!

Cheers,
-Argiros

where do you get your info on Silver? NewScientist says we are running out of Silver.

Argiros
10-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Mexico is really hitting high grade silver, up to 800+grammes/metre. And they have alot more. Same dirt yields 2-3g's AU. Too tired for links, but will try to at some point. Peru is also hitting fantasic grades. 2-4 metres for a kilo vs 5-15 metres for oz AU. Far more than the standard 50:1.

gold stacks
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
this stuff was what 320 a couple weeks ago? id say its moving up nicely...

Lets not forget this PM is starting to be used by jewelers more and more in white gold AND all by itself...

Hrysophilos
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
how do you play these metals?...ETF's, stocks, futures, physical?...well, you can't have physical Uranium...d'be interested to hear your strategy

...funny you mentioned Ouzo...just had a shot of genuine Macedonian Tsipouro from the old country with lunch...good stuff

cheers mate

Argiros
10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Gold in EFT's, Pd physical, and U has not been undertaken yet due to my lack of confidence in my skills to choose a good corp for stocks... Can anyone suggest a good U investment? (might need a new thread for this)

Here is a good article on the recent movement of Pd. It sais basicly that most of the rise has been from funds getting in on the action, which shows more and more people are getting familiar with it. Looks like the $400's will be the new $300's...

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=goldMktRpt&storyID=2007-10-11T195136Z_01_L11674783_RTRIDST_0_MARKETS-PRECIOUS-UPDATE-6.XML&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=InvArt-C1-ArticlePage3

Argiros
10-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes Tsipouro is the good stuff! For the best Ouzo get it only from Lesvos, and stay away from Raki - unless you're a masochist :D :p

Cheers!