PDA

View Full Version : Dividends - how to

madcow
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Ok so i am totally embarrassed to ask this as it shows my extreme n00bness but, dividends wtf?

I see people talking about getting paid out in dividends on stocks, i sorta comprehend what dividends are.

My question is, how does one get the dividends? Is it auto? Do you have to fill out some gay govt form or something? :confused:

bandicou2010
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok so i am totally embarrassed to ask this as it shows my extreme n00bness but, dividends wtf?

I see people talking about getting paid out in dividends on stocks, i sorta comprehend what dividends are.

My question is, how does one get the dividends? Is it auto? Do you have to fill out some gay govt form or something? :confused:

No, no gay forms... in fact not even straight forms... no forms at all.

The dividends are paid to you after the company declares (usually quarterly) a dividend. You get a cheque (if the shares are in your name), but usually the shares are held by your broker, so on the day that the company pays the dividend you'll usually get a credit in your account for it.

Not all stocks pay a dividend, and even worse if you buy a stock and it stops paying its dividend.

Simply put... a dividend is what the company decides to pay you for being an owner of the company...

Google "dividends wtf?" to find out more.

Silvercoin
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM

you gotta wear a hood, stand on a street corner. make sure nobody followed you.

wait till a black truck shows up and hands your dividend check through the window before speeding off.

madcow
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM

wait till a black truck shows up and hands your dividend check through the window before speeding off.

Im down with that:cool:

madcow
06-28-2011, 08:55 PM
The dividends are paid to you after the company declares (usually quarterly) a dividend. You get a cheque (if the shares are in your name), but usually the shares are held by your broker, so on the day that the company pays the dividend you'll usually get a credit in your account for it.

THanks for teh info. I know a few of my 401k bitches pay divi's but always wondered why i never got a check in the mail. That explains it tho if the broker holds it. Thanks for clearin that up for me :D

bandicou2010
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM

That only applies for dividend checks from "too big to fail" banks... And it's done to protect you... Because if your neighbours find out you own a part of those banks, you would be in grave danger.

cheesybread
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah the money usually just goes right into your brokerage account as cash.

acprice1
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I love dividends. I make $400 bucks a month in dividends (not counting retirement funds). I have been building it up for a couple years now, not putting all my money in due to fear. Looking back on it I could be ~$30k richer right now if I had.. But Im still to worried about the market. Lately I have been cashing the divs out and buying silver. :D

Dividends are great just remember you will pay taxes on them at the end of the year unless its your retirement account.

bandicou2010
06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I love dividends. I make $400 bucks a month in dividends (not counting retirement funds). I have been building it up for a couple years now, not putting all my money in due to fear. Looking back on it I could be ~$30k richer right now if I had.. But Im still to worried about the market. Lately I have been cashing the divs out and buying silver. :D

Dividends are great just remember you will pay taxes on them at the end of the year unless its your retirement account.

When they're in your retirement account your kids get to pay the taxes when they take out the money after you've died from all the bull**** life throws at you.

That's my cheery thought for today. :)

cheesybread
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
When they're in your retirement account your kids get to pay the taxes when they take out the money after you've died from all the bull**** life throws at you.

+1 lolololololol

coindog
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM

my plan is to burn thru all of mine before that happens. and I wan't to die with as much debt as I can muster up. I'm not going thru all this so others can have all the fun. not kidding.

savagegoose
07-03-2011, 04:28 PM
not that i recomend using google as my only financial soursse but asa good -lace to start
http://www.google.com/finance/stockscreener
they have a slidey bar for div yeild., ie a % on price you get back last div.
trhen you have to look over recent history to see if that is a regular paymernt or a 1 off of thing. if a comp has regular div payments its usually a low div %. but there are some gems out there.
if you gotta ask this id suggest a lot of research into stocks before buying.
debt to equity is a ratio of how much they owe to how much assets they have. always good in a crash as the company wont go broke owing all their money and assets. price to earnings, is what % of price they earn back ea year. all stocks now are insanely high in general.

finally u gotta look at what industry, like i see a REI real estate innvestment trust paying %19 div yeild! personally i wouldnt touch with my enemies money. and a gas explorer in argentina for a div yeild of %38.

now im not suggewsting either i aint looked into them other than div. but id trust nat gas to last longer as a surving company than realestate, all other things being equal.

Goldbrix
07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
...if you gotta ask this id suggest a lot of research into stocks before buying.....

+1(,000,000.00)

DYODD, There are good Canadian Oils, Gas, and Oil Sands that ARE established Cos. and pay good dividends some even monthly.
Some US based Nat.Gas Trusts pay monthly divs.

This Yankee keep his money in Canadian Oil/Tar/and Nat.Gas and at least one has exposure in the US Bakken Shale area.

BUT,
DYODD

Goldbrix
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I love dividends...... But Im still to worried about the market. Lately I have been cashing the divs out and buying silver. :D

As long as the silver is not paper, there's Nothing Wrong with that, you are still investing. ;)

HelloMeteor
07-12-2011, 01:31 AM
With some stocks I think you can set it up so dividends simply go into buying more of the same stock.

Goldbrix
07-20-2011, 03:50 PM
With some stocks I think you can set it up so dividends simply go into buying more of the same stock.

YES, They are called DRIPS
DIRECT
RE-INVESTMENT
PROGRAM
STOCKS.