PDA

View Full Version : Blank Penny

2ndAmendmentguy
06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Last night while sorting pennies I came across a copper penny that had not been stamped, nor had a rim. It looked like it was punched from a sheet and pushed right on through. I know it is copper because it weighs exactly 3.1 grams. I was wondering if anyone else had found one of these, and possible worth. Keep Sorting!

namwalker
06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Sounds to me like you found a slug that someone put in the roll that you were mining. It's only value would be as a base metal and have zero monetary value. Kids used the knock out of electrical boxes as a means for substituting quarters many years ago. To me this is nothing new or value except as a conversational piece.

Interesting find, but keep sorting. If it was made out of gold or platinum then you would have found a treasure.

hortstu
06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Sounds to me like you found a slug that someone put in the roll that you were mining. It's only value would be as a base metal and have zero monetary value. Kids used the knock out of electrical boxes as a means for substituting quarters many years ago. To me this is nothing new or value except as a conversational piece.

Interesting find, but keep sorting. If it was made out of gold or platinum then you would have found a treasure.

Don't be so sure. Bring it to an LCS you trust and ask. It could be an error.

Post a picture please.

Mercuryman
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Last night while sorting pennies I came across a copper penny that had not been stamped, nor had a rim. It looked like it was punched from a sheet and pushed right on through. I know it is copper because it weighs exactly 3.1 grams. I was wondering if anyone else had found one of these, and possible worth. Keep Sorting!

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/2417/30813/Detail/0061.jpg Something like this? You probably have a Penny planchet or a blank. Could be worth something. More than likely its a blank if it doesn't have a rim.

Ag gnostic
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/2417/30813/Detail/0061.jpg Something like this? You probably have a Penny planchet or a blank. Could be worth something. More than likely its a blank if it doesn't have a rim.

It looks like some on-line may have auctioned for $15-20.

http://minterrornews.com/fw_pricelist.pdf

The guy in the above link has it priced at $3 if it's a pre-'83 blank.

highroller4321
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM

You found a penny planchet. Its what pennies look like before they are stamped. They are fairly common and are worth about $1-3 each.

namwalker
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't be so sure. Bring it to an LCS you trust and ask. It could be an error.

Post a picture please.

Based upon what other posters said perhaps I did speak to soon. Sorry.

Like I said, the first thing that I thought of was what we did as kids. I was not thinking about the mint mistakenly releasing mistakes.

From what the opening posted said I had assumed that he was searching through a CWR he received from his bank.

If it was a CWR he did find an interesting piece. But seriously, at that point how could he know that it was a mint mistake and not a kids "slug"? What would be the tell-tale signs of such a good find.

Apologizes all around.

Mercuryman
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Based upon what other posters said perhaps I did speak to soon. Sorry.

Like I said, the first thing that I thought of was what we did as kids. I was not thinking about the mint mistakenly releasing mistakes.

From what the opening posted said I had assumed that he was searching through a CWR he received from his bank.

If it was a CWR he did find an interesting piece. But seriously, at that point how could he know that it was a mint mistake and not a kids "slug"? What would be the tell-tale signs of such a good find.

Apologizes all around.

Its pretty obvious to tell a coin planchet from a slug imho.

maxwellsilverhammer
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
i just found one myself in a box last week

Silvercoin
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
you're talking 6 figures at least for that coin.

hang onto it.

2ndAmendmentguy
07-06-2011, 09:10 AM
you're talking 6 figures at least for that coin.

hang onto it.

6 figures huh? How about I sell it to you for 5 figures. $50,000 sounds reasonable. PM me and we'll discuss payment arrangements. :D

GS_Stacker
07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I collect Lincoln Cents, wheatbacks, and Indians....usually buying BU unsearched BW Rolls..

Ive found a few of these....some In varying degrees, of being miss stamped, or unstamped

JudyG