PDA

View Full Version : What Containers do you use to store pennies?

dan8802
06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Just wondering what you use to store copper pennies. I need something light enough to lift, big enough so that I don't have a lot of containers, consistent (they all need to be the same, and hold the same amount) etc..

I was thinking about just using the cardboard boxes pennies come in from the bank, they hold about the same amount loose as they do wraped.

Any ideas please post!

radioone
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I use the plastic Folger's coffee containers... the 48oz size holds $50 face quite nicely and have a good grip for carrying if needed..... can actually get about $52-$53 face in them if you shake em down good while filling.... they stack nicely too..... I use the 11.3 oz size for nickels, they hold $45 face easily... plus, they work good when storing in a basement or other semi damp area....

Silvery
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm looking for ideas too. Right now I'm using a plastic gallon water jug.

GoldSilverbvg
06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I use glass canning jars (odl jars that once contained jellies and whatnot that people have given me).

SilverSurfer25
06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
1 pick up bank i buy at has brinks boxes that hold $25 in rolls.

The other pick up bank has paper rolls i search and reuse. Obviously the rolls then go in the boxes.

Im trying to stack 4 $25 boxes. On #3 now...

namwalker
06-25-2011, 06:18 PM
I ran across a box that is only 1/2" taller and maybe an inch longer than the Brinks penny box, and it will hold it will hold $38 of rolled pennies. I ran across it when my bank only had rolled coins with no box. I found this box solely out of frustration with my bank for having no penny box. I was looking just for something that would hold rolls until I turned any unrolled pennies for more. You may want to try the Brink's quarter box. I don't know how it will stack up against 4 penny boxes but 4 quarter boxes will hold $144 worth of pennies.

I might switch over to using them for myself to store the copper pennies in. The only thing that you have to do is to convince the tellers to set them aside for you.

If you decide on going this route, let me know what you think of it.

dan8802
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking i'll just put them back in their brinks $25 cardboard box... only problem would be that they could be more flimsy than plastic or glass.

namwalker
06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking i'll just put them back in their brinks $25 cardboard box... only problem would be that they could be more flimsy than plastic or glass.

Not if you seal up the box with tape, and don't spend a lot of time opening and reopening the box. Especially, if you are sealing up copper pennies you intend on holding onto for awhile.

dan8802
06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Not if you seal up the box with tape, and don't spend a lot of time opening and reopening the box. Especially, if you are sealing up copper pennies you intend on holding onto for awhile.

That's what I was thinking too..

And the bank boxes hold almost an exact $25 loose, which was one quality I was looking for in a container; something that holds a certain (even) amount or has a scale on it.

I was thinking use a 5 gallon jug and mark a scale on it, but it would be too heavy to lift.

cherrypopped
06-30-2011, 06:15 AM
That's what I was thinking too..

And the bank boxes hold almost an exact $25 loose, which was one quality I was looking for in a container; something that holds a certain (even) amount or has a scale on it.

I was thinking use a 5 gallon jug and mark a scale on it, but it would be too heavy to lift.

I use a 5 gallon bucket to take my dump into the bank (half dollars and pennys, but I never fill it up with pennys)

To store mine I am putting them into 1 gallon ziplock bags and then putting them into a storage tub(the size people move with or store clothes, christmas stuff etc in) I fill it 3/4full so it lays nice and flat. I have no idea how much it holds because I just dont care. Not going to be spending it anytime soon(I hope)

misteroman
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I used to put mine in 5 gal buckets but have started putting them into the little glass/ plastic jugs that places get for hot peppers, pickles,etc they hold 5000 or about 30 lbs. Easy to move and keep track of

namwalker
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I used to put mine in 5 gal buckets but have started putting them into the little glass/ plastic jugs that places get for hot peppers, pickles,etc they hold 5000 or about 30 lbs. Easy to move and keep track of

I've found that in some cases, the weight of the coins will cause the bottoms to fall out of the glass containers. I used to have an antique mason jar that was about two feet tall where the bottom came out while I was moving around. I figure it was my own fault, but I thought I should pass it along FWIW.

misteroman
06-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Why are all my posts disappearing?

Mercuryman
06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Anyone tried using milk jugs? just a thought

namwalker
07-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Although I have not used milk jugs, they are basically square on the bottom and should be compact for storage. However, I'm not really sold on the their strength. It might work alright provided you didn't cram a lot of pennies into them. It'd be worth a try

I've been stacking my copper pennies into rolls only against the prospect that I might need to used them in the future to pay bills or something. Anybody see any draw back in doin this other than probable cost if I have to end up buying the rolls and can't get them from a bank. I'm just trying to cover all bases

suss5434
08-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I use 5 gallon water jugs. The crystal water kind. They hold about ---- I forget how much they hold, maybe $250 face. They are too heavy to lift, but roll nicely.

Greatwun
08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Im using a large Hi-Ci jug. Still have yet to fill up my first jar.

Thx1138
08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I use glass vases of different sizes for my bulk of nickels/pennies and just leave them as decoration.

I once knew a fellow that saved all his spare change in a glass Sparklets water cooler bottle.

Too heavy to tote around, I remember him having about a third of it full mostly with dimes, nickels, quarters and some clad halfs.

Thx :)

Gumby_5
09-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I just toss them back in the box from the bank. I don't count them out though. an open one is always next to my desk and I toss in loose copper pennies from the day or when I go through boxes from the bank and when it is full I shake it until everything is compacted and put in some more then then close and tape it shut. Probably should have counted them and marked the box but didn't.

SecretArgentMan
09-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I keep the coppers in metal coffee cans. Wheat pennies get rolled separately. Zincs go back to the bank.

Mr Nobody
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I keep the coppers in metal coffee cans. Wheat pennies get rolled separately. Zincs go back to the bank.

same here, I always be lookin for the wheaties in the bank rolls. Not worth much but it is fun