PDA

View Full Version : Is Copper the New

SilverPutz
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Funny article .........

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ultimate-proof-that-silver-and-gold-mania-has-gone-insane-2011-5

:eek: :D :eek:

joethebummer
05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
sjure is..but dont play with it too much as it gets toned up really fast. keep it in the tubes

MoLocke
05-08-2011, 11:48 PM
would there even be potential for copper to raise up to some crazy price per oz? it's so commonly used for a lot of things. Anyone see the possibility of it being profitable in the future if bought now? and if yes or now how come?

joethebummer
05-08-2011, 11:55 PM
would there even be potential for copper to raise up to some crazy price per oz? it's so commonly used for a lot of things. Anyone see the possibility of it being profitable in the future if bought now? and if yes or now how come?

go for it..buy 20 rounds..it will cost you something like $20 on ebay.. $20? you still have to think about it

you can get a monster box of it for like $600. $600? what if it becomes the new silver..thats over $20k

its a cool metal. just keep it in the tubes, it dosnt like open air much

Ember
05-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Get it at face value. Keep those copper cents.

galtbob
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I just bought some of these, but at $1.57 each they are NOT an investment. That is over $24 a pound, copper would have to go up 600% just to break even. BUt they look like very pretty gifts.

derickonfire
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
New silver? I don't think so..

but I did use some of my profits from selling silver on eBay to buy 40 of these:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3854/kgrhqzjoe2iwczo8bnsmsm6.jpg

Gonna re-sell some of them singularly on eBay for a premium, and then gonna hold on to a few. They are pretty!

Conax
05-09-2011, 12:31 AM
but . . . they're not silver.

getemoutahere.........get em out!

Lousy plumber metal...

:D (kiddin)

wait!
I just had an epiphany-
I'll buy lots of copper tubing and sell it for making stills after the SHTF !
Everything goes better with a quart of shine..

yeah! Copper baby!

SilverSurfer25
05-09-2011, 12:34 AM
What about copper pennies does anyone buy bulk bags? How much over fv?

derickonfire
05-09-2011, 12:37 AM
What about copper pennies does anyone buy bulk bags? How much over fv?

I typically see them sell for 2x FV.. and no I don't buy them when I can get them for free.

I don't see copper as a big investment play, but am more just curious to see what the value of few pounds will be in 50 years when I stumble across them in my storage.

supernatural
05-09-2011, 12:58 AM
You know, China did mint their lowest denominated coins out of copper for thousands of years. If the dollar keeps being debased, it's not entirely a waste of money to invest a couple monster boxes. Of course, I'd start off with some 95% junk copper coins.

Thx1138
05-09-2011, 02:18 AM
40 is the new 30.

Copper is the new "gutter metal".

The 1 Yuan is made of aluminum.

I sort pennies and have a pretty good stash of nickels too.

Copper pennies (1982 is when they switched to copper plated zinc) have a feint ring when you flick them, zinc has no ring at all.

I send the zinc back through the credit union machine.

I figure, you never know... In a genuine SHFT they might remain low level currency.

Pennies are worth almost three cents now.

If I have to have currency I would rather have some in metals instead of just paper or electrons in a bank.

Thx :)

themadscientist
05-09-2011, 03:46 AM
If copper "bullion" weren't marked up worse than PAEs I would pick some up.

I like copper. It's pretty and I wouldn't mind having a stack just for ****s and giggles. Not at those prices though.

coindog
05-09-2011, 04:38 AM
I just bought some of these, but at $1.57 each they are NOT an investment. That is over $24 a pound, copper would have to go up 600% just to break even. BUt they look like very pretty gifts.

why not I would spend $10 for 5 or 6 just to have "extra large cents". kinda cool and I've wasted $10 many times on dumber stuff. investment na.

galtbob
05-09-2011, 08:27 AM
why not I would spend $10 for 5 or 6 just to have "extra large cents". kinda cool and I've wasted $10 many times on dumber stuff. investment na.

And these make a nice political statement...

theirrationalist
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
If copper "bullion" weren't marked up worse than PAEs I would pick some up.

I like copper. It's pretty and I wouldn't mind having a stack just for ****s and giggles. Not at those prices though.

You can buy scrap copper from a scrap yard for less then spot price. They sell big thick stripped wire for just under or at spot price (like the copper used in electrical lines) and that stuff is .999 pure.

If you want to make sure it is .999 pure, then ask to have them check it with a XRF analyzer. Every decently sized scrap yard has one.

ccjoe
05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
FYI--My copper wholesaler just e'd me that he's out of kilo bars.
He has hired more people at his mint, and has expanded his facility.
Amazing with a down market how the bars are selling.
I can't wait till next year when bars will triple or more and my wife stops busting my chops that I should have bought more silver:)

SilverPutz
05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I really like the look of those "novelty" copper coins ......... Anyone know where I may buy those copper coins in bulk?

I am interested in buying 100 or so to give out as gifts, etc.

Also, does anyone know of a wholesale place to buy those trillion dollar bank notes that they used in an African county during their hyperinflation?

I always wanted to be a trillionaire .........

Again, I think they may be great gifts too.

Thanks .........

Copperhead
05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Copper is so dam pretty. Just take a look at me. :p

Son of Isis
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM

http://www.copper.org/education/c-facts/c-home.html

As you can see most appliances we take for granted contain around or at least 5 pounds of copper. A good size air conditioner has well over 50 pounds. I think of the billion plus Chinese and the billion plus Indians who are now "middle class" and see them buying these types of consumer goods.