PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy copper

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
04-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Where do you guys buy? I have purchased off of ebay, tacoma's site & Jetco (no longer in business). Anyone have any other recommendations on where to pick up investment grade copper bullion at a reasonable price? Thanks!

tinhorn
04-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I just put some 20# lots on craigslist. .950 coins at below "melt" value. I believe you can find some in the Buy/Sell forums under "other".

I'm curious as to what kind of premium you pay for investment grade as opposed to .950.

Tommy C
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Why, the bank of course! Buy $140 worth of copper and nickle mix for just $100.00

Wooppie! Free money! From the Bank no less! Beats a toaster every time!

Thank you Uncle B.

chuckno
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
I just put some 20# lots on craigslist. .950 coins at below "melt" value. I believe you can find some in the Buy/Sell forums under "other".

I'm curious as to what kind of premium you pay for investment grade as opposed to .950.

I have not seen investment grade copper (assume .999 fine)
For less than 8 times spot and usually more.

tinhorn
04-19-2011, 07:14 PM

That reflects what I've seen, which is why I anticipate I should be able to sell .950 copper bullion coins in small lots for spot plus shipping. I just put some REALLY small lots--1/2, two, five, and ten-pound lots on the bay, and twenty-pound lots on craigslist. We'll see if folks are looking for copper or for pretty doo-dads.

I'll put some in the Kitco Buy/Sell forum, too. (Never did get a response when I PM'd a mod about the propriety of listing copper in the Other Precious Metals forum.) Edit: https://www.kitcomm.com/showpost.php?p=1314830&postcount=14

urban prospector
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah copper everywhere and buy a furnace ..

theirrationalist
04-23-2011, 12:36 AM

Copper busbar used in heavy electrical power distribution is .999 fine copper, and is easy to get for less then 4x spot price. The more you buy, the cheaper it is per unit mass, obviously.

Actually, i know for a fact that many of the copper bullion bars I see floating around on eBay is just busbar cut in 1 pound chunks with the numbers .999 stamped on them.

Canadabound
04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
As stated before , why would you not get boxes of pennies from the bank and sort them. It works out to a 1.66 a pound and best thing is it will never be worth less than that. The gov is going to be lifting the melting ban, it is just a matter of time . The gov will not want to see industry hurt by high copper prices so lifting the ban is an easy solution, allbeit a short lived one.

theirrationalist
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
As stated before , why would you not get boxes of pennies from the bank and sort them. It works out to a 1.66 a pound and best thing is it will never be worth less than that. The gov is going to be lifting the melting ban, it is just a matter of time . The gov will not want to see industry hurt by high copper prices so lifting the ban is an easy solution, allbeit a short lived one.

I agree! Although, if you want .999 fine copper, there is no way you are going to get that at the bank. In Canada you can find .999 nickel 5 pieces in circulation.

I think it is sort of ridiculous to buy copper with such a large premium when you can buy things like bare bright scrap wire for LESS THEN SPOT PRICE!

theirrationalist
04-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I agree! Although, if you want .999 fine copper, there is no way you are going to get that at the bank. In Canada you can find .999 nickel 5 pieces in circulation.

I think it is sort of ridiculous to buy copper with such a large premium when you can buy things like bare bright scrap wire for LESS THEN SPOT PRICE!

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks everybody. I've been searching around & finally found a price I am happy with. I found lbs. for $7.43 each online. Hand poured bars. Can't beat that. If you can, please let me know how.

And no, I don't want to sort through old pennies :) Too time consuming & well, time is money.

ccjoe
04-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Just make sure you get CDA 110 investment 99.999% grade bars like I have.
I hate to see you end up with tungsten type quality to "get the best deal."

tinhorn
04-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I anticipate I should be able to sell .950 copper bullion coins in small lots for spot plus shipping....We'll see if folks are looking for copper or for pretty doo-dads.

I found lbs. for $7.43 each online.

Well, I've found that some folks are willing to buy bullion coins for spot, and apparently some are willing to pay a 75% premium (or more) for doo-dads. Gonna have to find a big torch and advertise for scrap wire.

Metal Hoarder
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
That reflects what I've seen, which is why I anticipate I should be able to sell .950 copper bullion coins in small lots for spot plus shipping.

Good luck with that. Anybody can go to any US bank and buy .950 US pennies for 1 cent each, and they have 2.8 cents worth of copper in them. That's got to be the deal of the century.

I would not want to be competing with every bank in the US, who are all willing to sell at 64% under spot.

tinhorn
04-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Anybody can go to any US bank and buy .950 US pennies for 1 cent each...

And no, I don't want to sort through old pennies :) Too time consuming & well, time is money.

Notice the disconnect? This is why some people pay me current spot price for bullion coins, and others pay huge premiums for chunks of industrial copper. Hold my $4/lb. .950 bullion in one hand and a piece of $7.43/lb. .999 in the other. How long until my coins are worth their cost? Oh, yeah! They're ALREADY worth $4/lb. How long until the $7.43/lb. melted scrap ingot is worth $7.43? Anybody seeing $7.50 copper on the horizon?

How much will .950 copper coins be worth when copper hits $7.50?

Spanky
04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Anybody can go to any US bank and buy .950 US pennies for 1 cent each, and they have 2.8 cents worth of copper in them.

Our (US) Cents haven't been .950 Copper since 1982 - you may still find them in circulation but they are and have been disappearing fast. Ratio of pre-1982 Cents to current issues is about 10:1 for every 10 Cents sorted, you'll find one Copper.

Metal Hoarder
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
4.96 cents each, almost exactly 5 times what you paid for them.

I understand that people will pay to avoid having to sort pennies. I'm just skeptical that they will pay thousands of dollars to avoid perhaps 10 hours of work with a $50 coin sorter from feebay. But I've been wrong before. :rolleyes: If that really happens then perhaps I have found a way to pay myself $100s per hour while watching TV. :D

LeBoisslv
05-01-2011, 01:37 AM
I have to agree with Tommy C...., U.S. nickels are the way to go here. Buy them at any bank for FV in sealed $100 boxes. No sorting needed. 22# of base metal, and always worth at least what you paid for them.

If you really want to sort through them, maybe find some silver war nickels:)

Red Rock
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Just make sure you get CDA 110 investment 99.999% grade bars like I have.
I hate to see you end up with tungsten type quality to "get the best deal."
Yea man, cuz with five 9's there is potentially $8.50 more Cu per ton. Only costs about about $10,000 over spot to make sure you have the purest copper on the planet.

RalphKNS
05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I can't believe anyone would pay over melt value for copper, when silver is available under spot. :confused:

bandicou2010
05-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Yea man, cuz with five 9's there is potentially $8.50 more Cu per ton. Only costs about about $10,000 over spot to make sure you have the purest copper on the planet.

LOL :)

Those last 2 ounces of copper cost you roughly $5,000 each!! May you live long enough to prosper from that trade.

ccjoe
05-03-2011, 07:19 PM
LOL :)

Those last 2 ounces of copper cost you roughly $5,000 each!! May you live long enough to prosper from that trade.

Thanks as usual band for the support with my investment.
I come here for the comraderie that people support one another.
Thanks as always.

07Silverado
05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with Tommy C...., U.S. nickels are the way to go here. Buy them at any bank for FV in sealed $100 boxes. No sorting needed. 22# of base metal, and always worth at least what you paid for them.

I've been a nickel stacker for a couple of years now and I have to say that until the day comes when they lift the melting restrictions and you can actually trade nickels at multiples of their fiat value that nickels will probably never be worth what you paid for them because inflation is eroding their value by the day.

Just so nobody deludes themselves. :)

LeBoisslv
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
nickels will probably never be worth what you paid for them because inflation is eroding their value by the day.

I absolutely agree with you 07Silverado(nice truck BTW). Was thinking that right after I typed it. Should have said..."always be worth at least face value";... but maybe even that would be a little misleading since face value won't be WORTH what it was earlier. Ha! Ha!

We may not have to wait until melt restrictions are lifted to be able to sell at multiples of face(fiat) value. Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If copper and nickel prices increase dramatically and the U.S.mint changes the composition of the coin, more people will start hoarding the old ones. Could take awhile, but may follow just like the penny now selling on eBay.

hortstu
05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
One day they will change the composition of the nickels just like they did the composition of the old silver coins and then they will gradually become more and more scarce.

Then one day they'll decide pennies are too expensive to make and stop minting them. Then one day they'll vanish from circulation they'll become too rare for making change, and then everything will be in increments of nickels or dimes.

That's when people will be paying multiples of face value. Who knows when that would be but it is already starting. At the very least your grand kids could benefit from your foresight.

bandicou2010
05-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks as usual band for the support with my investment.
I come here for the comraderie that people support one another.
Thanks as always.

Why are you talking to me...

Why don't you reply to RalphKNS or Red Rock... After all it's Red Rock who replied to your post. I didn't realize that this forum wasn't for free discussion (re. Base Metals) but was supposed to be a support group. ???

The last time I spoke to you, (just before I began my vacation) I accused you of changing the subject... then you accused me of the same thing, and proceeded to tell me you play golf with what I surmise are mobsters... ??? Like that's gonna convince me that copper is going to hit $12 dollars by Xmas ???

So I decided I'd just avoid you. But everytime I write anything you respond to me... Why is it that you feel you have to respond to me? Especially when Red Rock replied to you??? You're an odd ball. Why should I have to agree with you. You have a right to believe that Cu will hit $80 by Xmas, just have I should have a right to believe that I would be happy with $5 by Xmas. For some reason you don't think I have that right.

P.S. I never considered you my comerade.

2ndAmendmentguy
05-04-2011, 08:03 AM

In my eyes, that is just foolish. You are getting something that is worth around 3 cents for 1 cent, yet it is too time consuming. Look. Go to a few local banks and see if you can get a standing order of between $50-$100 each. It does not take long on a Friday afternoon to go pick up $300-$400 worth of pennies. Then, after you buy your Ryedale machine, you can run through $400 worth of pennies in like 2 1/2 hours. You just unroll the pennies and throw them in the hopper. Done! The Ryedale initially costs you $500, but just wait. You sort $400 worth of pennies in 2 1/2 hours. Yielding 25% (on average), you will end up with $100 worth of copper pennies. The other $300 you can bring to a credit union in your area that has a free coin counter. $100 in pennies times 2.8 cents per gives you a value of $280. Minus your initial investment of $100. So you net $180 in what; 4 hours total? That amounts to $45 per hour you worked. That is a pretty good salary to rape the U.S. government. I love it personally.

By the time they stop making the penny and everyone rushes in to take advantage, it will already be too late. You know what? Don't collect copper pennies. That way, there are more for me. I have an area in my garage just for pennies. The boxes of coppers stack very nicely, and they look really small compared to a huge garage. You pay your premiums, I will "slave" over my pennies.:confused:

highroller4321
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks everybody. I've been searching around & finally found a price I am happy with. I found lbs. for $7.43 each online. Hand poured bars. Can't beat that. If you can, please let me know how.

You are happy paying a 75% PREMIUM for copper???????? WOW....

Instead you could go to www.portlandmint.com and buy almost 70% UNDER spot!

So you can either wait a long time for copper to double or you can buy today and have an instant value of 70% more. To me thats not even debateable.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Notice the disconnect? This is why some people pay me current spot price for bullion coins, and others pay huge premiums for chunks of industrial copper. Hold my $4/lb. .950 bullion in one hand and a piece of $7.43/lb. .999 in the other. How long until my coins are worth their cost? Oh, yeah! They're ALREADY worth $4/lb. How long until the $7.43/lb. melted scrap ingot is worth $7.43? Anybody seeing $7.50 copper on the horizon?

I see your point, but I expect the premiums to rise as the price of copper rises. It's like junk silver. YOu could buy & still can find junk silver for below spot. Most .999 silver on the other hand is at or above spot. The same will most likely be true with copper. Pay a premium up front you will get it back upon your sale.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
05-04-2011, 10:23 AM
You are happy paying a 75% PREMIUM for copper???????? WOW....

Instead you could go to www.portlandmint.com and buy almost 70% UNDER spot!

So you can either wait a long time for copper to double or you can buy today and have an instant value of 70% more. To me thats not even debateable.

Guys, let me just say I have spent many night accumulating pre 82 pennies. I agree that there will be incredible profits to be made by doing this & I am not tyring to discredit this method at all. In fact I agree with all you are saying.

However, if you get on the bay & see what copper is being bid up to it is obvious that .999 copper carries a hefty premium. This premium sticks to copper just like silver premiums stick. So although we all might think it's ludacris to buy 70%+ (which is conservative) over spot, in reality it isn't because if that premium is to move, we all know it will move UP.

So in 5 years you might regret not paying a 70% premium when you see premiums are now 100% / 150% etc.

bandicou2010
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Guys, let me just say I have spent many night accumulating pre 82 pennies. I agree that there will be incredible profits to be made by doing this & I am not tyring to discredit this method at all. In fact I agree with all you are saying.

However, if you get on the bay & see what copper is being bid up to it is obvious that .999 copper carries a hefty premium. This premium sticks to copper just like silver premiums stick. So although we all might think it's ludacris to buy 70%+ (which is conservative) over spot, in reality it isn't because if that premium is to move, we all know it will move UP.

So in 5 years you might regret not paying a 70% premium when you see premiums are now 100% / 150% etc.

Hey Ron_Paul, I say long live you.

I see your point on premiums, but there is no assurance that you will ever get a premium back. And, the more you buy the hardler it will be to sell if you're planing to get your premium back.

That's why I never bought an American Gold Eagle (too much premium). I always bought my Gold at as close to spot as possible. So assume I mow have $300,000 in Gold coins, it will take me a long time (IMO) to sell these on Ebay expecting to get my premium... but if all I expect is spot... I can trade the entire amount in a few transactions at KITCO.

Of course if you're buying a few Gold coins, and don't plan to sell in a panic (price collapse), you might get you're premium ir even more premium than you paid.

P.S. For me I don't have much premium, and I bought many years ago (also much of my stack was passed on to me by family)... SO when I sell, I'll accept spot, if my goal is to get out quick. BUt I agree with you're point too...

2ndAmendmentguy
05-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Let's take a hypothetical scenario. Let's say that copper plummets down to $5 per ton. How much are you going to be able to get for your what, 10 pound bar? If my math is correct, I think that is about 3 cents. I can still take my boxes of pennies back to the bank and get face value for them.

Point I am trying to make is this. I am getting copper pennies for 1 cent each. That is a discount of almost 66%. They will never be worth less than a cent (except for inflation, blah, blah, blah!), so there is no downside yet the sky is the limit for the upside.

If anyone here tells me that they would deny an opportunity to buy into a commodity at a 66% discount with no risk of loss of the original investment, you ought to get your head examined. Just my 2 Cu cents.

ccjoe
05-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Some people just can't see the basic truth in your posts.
Good luck to them.

highroller4321
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM

I see where you are coming from but I think your fundamentals are wrong because you are comparing an apple to and orange.

Silver has a premium on certain items because there is always a spread. Silver eagles and maples have a premium because the mint charges a premium. Bars and rounds often have a premium because the person who handles the bars and rounds for you to sell have to make money. Even than the premiums are reasonable...not 70%!!!!!

Copper bars have a premium for a few of the same reasons but also a major difference. If a person makes 1 oz rounds of copper they can't make them for 33 cents each (spot). They have to charge crazy premiums because the cost of the minting process and everything else. As copper goes up the minting costs will stay around the same and I believe we will see premiums go down.

ccjoe
05-06-2011, 03:04 AM
I see where you are coming from but I think your fundamentals are wrong because you are comparing an apple to and orange.

Silver has a premium on certain items because there is always a spread. Silver eagles and maples have a premium because the mint charges a premium. Bars and rounds often have a premium because the person who handles the bars and rounds for you to sell have to make money. Even than the premiums are reasonable...not 70%!!!!!

Copper bars have a premium for a few of the same reasons but also a major difference. If a person makes 1 oz rounds of copper they can't make them for 33 cents each (spot). They have to charge crazy premiums because the cost of the minting process and everything else. As copper goes up the minting costs will stay around the same and I believe we will see premiums go down.

Very good point.
I would like to add that the very stunningly low price of copper NOW will more than make up for the lower premium later.
If you bought in the 3's as some of us have, once it gets to double figures, the profit margins will be huge even with lower premiums.
If a scarcity develops as may happen, there will be even higher profits when the premiums don't come way down.

chuckno
05-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I see your point, but I expect the premiums to rise as the price of copper rises. It's like junk silver. YOu could buy & still can find junk silver for below spot. Most .999 silver on the other hand is at or above spot. The same will most likely be true with copper. Pay a premium up front you will get it back upon your sale.

I have been following copper .999 and .95 for awhile. The premiums on .999 have been going down. A year ago 1 ounce rounds were selling for $8 each, 1lb Bars for $30 each. Now you can get 1 ounce rounds for $3 each or less and $1lb bars for $16 or less. So I'm glad I went with .95 for my main supply.

theirrationalist
05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Why would anybody pay a premium for copper, when they could just buy .99 copper at any scrap yard for spot price?

352goldgeek
05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Indeed, copper has a pretty high premium over spot but like one the prior replies says, producers and sellers do have to consider minting costs. Considering the infancy of copper bullion and everyday investors, this isn't surprising at all.

It would be counter-productive and impractical to just go buy some scrap copper at a junk yard.

There are many dealers but if you're looking for a long-term investment in copper, it would be wise to consider 1-oz coins or 1-lb or 1-kilo bars.

Here's where I get mine:

http://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/copper.html

But eBay and other places have a selection too at the right price.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Let's take a hypothetical scenario. Let's say that copper plummets down to $5 per ton. How much are you going to be able to get for your what, 10 pound bar? If my math is correct, I think that is about 3 cents. I can still take my boxes of pennies back to the bank and get face value for them.

Your hypothetical scenario is not plausible in this environment. More money is being created everyday. The laws of fiat currency will force the price higher. Copper has only one (long term) move - UP.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
05-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I disagree & say we are comparing Gala apples to Granny smith apples. Both apples (commoditys-metal-money) but both different as well.

Explain to me how minting costs will go down? I am projecting increased costs throughout the mining / minting / delivery process. Think about it, do you think gas is going to go down? No, way. IT's going to move up. When it does it will cost more for mining operations, refinery, shipping, etc. The whole process will become more expensive to develop ALL commodity's. This will drive all premiums up as well as sellers will require a higher fee to make a profit with the devealued currency.

When investing you always have to remember that RIGHT NOW we are on the edge of a wave of inflation. This should be in the back of your mind at all times.

2ndAmendmentguy
05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Your hypothetical scenario is not plausible in this environment. More money is being created everyday. The laws of fiat currency will force the price higher. Copper has only one (long term) move - UP.

Well, that's why I stated "hypothetical" in the first place. Let's say you are correct, and copper prices are going up. My profit margin will be greater than yours just because of the fact that I am grabbing copper on sale, and you are paying premiums. It will end up mirroring junk silver and silver bullion. Yeah yours is more pure, but 95% copper will command just as much in price relative to purity.

To each their own, but I prefer to get as many ounces for my FRN's as humanly possible. I have been looking into buying one each of every round (for collectible purposes in the future), but even now the prices are like $4.00 per round. A troy ounce of copper is worth what right now? 36 cents? So if I paid $4.00, that is a premium of $3.64, or 1000%? Still waiting to pull the trigger on those, but silver is just a better ride for me right now. If you think you can recover the premiums in the future, I say to you, "Best of luck with that!". At least you recognize copper as being valuable.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, that's why I stated "hypothetical" in the first place. Let's say you are correct, and copper prices are going up. My profit margin will be greater than yours just because of the fact that I am grabbing copper on sale, and you are paying premiums. It will end up mirroring junk silver and silver bullion. Yeah yours is more pure, but 95% copper will command just as much in price relative to purity.

To each their own, but I prefer to get as many ounces for my FRN's as humanly possible. I have been looking into buying one each of every round (for collectible purposes in the future), but even now the prices are like $4.00 per round. A troy ounce of copper is worth what right now? 36 cents? So if I paid $4.00, that is a premium of $3.64, or 1000%? Still waiting to pull the trigger on those, but silver is just a better ride for me right now. If you think you can recover the premiums in the future, I say to you, "Best of luck with that!". At least you recognize copper as being valuable.

I can't deny that you also have some good points. I personally do both pennies & copper bullion - however the copper ounces are truly a rip-off (or are they :)) & I won't pay over a 70% premium. The main thing is people recognize that copper is an undervalued asset & it is important to hold in any form. Happy stacking!

ccjoe
05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I can't deny that you also have some good points. I personally do both pennies & copper bullion - however the copper ounces are truly a rip-off (or are they :)) & I won't pay over a 70% premium. The main thing is people recognize that copper is an undervalued asset & it is important to hold in any form. Happy stacking!
Just to live is why I HAVE to sell but that was the purpose in the first place.

theirrationalist
05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
It would be counter-productive and impractical to just go buy some scrap copper at a junk yard.

...would it?

Carpenter
05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Where do you guys buy? I have purchased off of ebay, tacoma's site & Jetco (no longer in business). Anyone have any other recommendations on where to pick up investment grade copper bullion at a reasonable price? Thanks!

At the bank, for 1/3 of spot.

Guaranteed never to drop below your buy in price.

bandicou2010
05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
At the bank, for 1/3 of spot.

Guaranteed never to drop below your buy in price.

:) You had me going... I was asking myself what kind of bank would sell copper tubing, or sheets. It seriously took me at least 5 minutes to figure what you were talking about. :) I'm such a moron!!