PDA

View Full Version : is copper a SCREAMING buy??

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
i mean its priced extremly cheap today when comparing to stacking silver

it seems copper today is where silver was at in 2001 (ie under $3 for an ounce of bullion)

seems it would be wise to take some profit from the silver stack and multiply it with copper bullion no?

ops sorry i meant to post this in the silver forum to get opinions from the silver stackers..seems im preaching to the choir in this forum

cheesybread
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
If you can find a good place to buy copper bullion that doesn't have a 100% markup, let me know. I've been wanting to get in but the only things I've found are 1kg bars for 20$, and 1oz rounds for 3$.

I've been picking out pre 82 pennies but that's about all the copper I have.

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
i mean its priced extremly cheap today when comparing to stacking silver

it seems copper today is where silver was at in 2001 (ie under $3 for an ounce of bullion)

seems it would be wise to take some profit from the silver stack and multiply it with copper bullion no?

I wouldn't.

Copper is not a PM and will not match the increase you will see on silver over the next few years.

sliver573
04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't.

Copper is not a PM and will not match the increase you will see on silver over the next few years.

It would be a good idea to have some copper to diversify. You can buy $100 boxes of nickels and you will be even more diversified with nickel and copper

Plus if we have deflation $100 can buy a lot of food.

And if we have deflation the government will later create a great deal of inflation, but you don't have to time the changes because nickels will retain value with both deflation and inflation

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
If you can find a good place to buy copper bullion that doesn't have a 100% markup, let me know. I've been wanting to get in but the only things I've found are 1kg bars for 20$, and 1oz rounds for 3$.

I've been picking out pre 82 pennies but that's about all the copper I have.

your concerned about markup when you are buying a $20 KILO bar? or a $3 round? silver was once $3/ounce .. and look at it now

seems like a safe bet. either way you can keep the metal for a long time . your downside is so little at this point

the industrial demand for copper is also far greater than silver

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
It would be a good idea to have some copper to diversify. You can buy $100 boxes of nickels and you will be even more diversified with nickel and copper

Diversifying is good. But the OP said "take some profit from the silver stack".

$100 boxes of nickles are good, but storage becomes an issue and melting them is illegal. That said I save ALL my nickles and pre 82 pennies.

Long_Live_Ron_Paul
04-07-2011, 03:33 PM
yes, Copper is an undervalued asset.

Don't listen to us though, do your own research. Don't follow the herd or you'll be slaughtered. The fact that most laugh at people who sort through copper pennies is a good sign you're onto something.

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
your concerned about markup when you are buying a $20 KILO bar? or a $3 round? silver was once $3/ounce .. and look at it now

seems like a safe bet. either way you can keep the metal for a long time . your downside is so little at this point

the industrial demand for copper is also far greater than silver

Your logic is flawed.

Also, comparing a PM to an industrial exclusive metal is like comparing apples to oranges.

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't.

copper has been a PM since even before silver/gold. its the true poor mans gold. and guess what there are a whole lot more poor people in this world than rich

lets face it. what is the next metal people can get into as silver rises. it HAS to be the next base metals down. if someone has to consider buying a $40 round or 1 $3 round, which one seeems like a safer bet

urban prospector
04-07-2011, 03:35 PM
try ya local op shop etc. .. if you look around youll find my posts on this .

AgGregator
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
From Apr. 2009:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/5165209/Will-copper-outshine-gold-and-silver.html

For Ratio's:
http://www.goldbullionprices.org/gold-copper-ratio.php

rhonda15
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree copper looks attractive but I wouldn't sell any silver to buy it.

sliver573
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Don't listen to us though, do your own research. Don't follow the herd or you'll be slaughtered. The fact that most laugh at people who sort through copper pennies is a good sign you're onto something.

lol it may even be a good idea to buy steel pipes according to the government movie in my signature

It is almost literally saying the government wants you to buy steel pipes now rather than later

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 03:47 PM
copper has been a PM since even before silver/gold. its the true poor mans gold. and guess what there are a whole lot more poor people in this world than rich

lets face it. what is the next metal people can get into as silver rises. it HAS to be the next base metals down. if someone has to consider buying a $40 round or 1 $3 round, which one seeems like a safer bet

Sorry thats not correct.....Copper is a base metal.

The $40 silver round is the safer bet. Do you even realize the mark up on a 1oz $3 copper round. Go do the math and then come back and make some sense. :rolleyes:

sliver573
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
From what I understand copper was used as money in ancient Rome (Back in Republican times before Caesar) because it was scarce back then. I think copper has been mostly for small change since then

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry thats not correct.....Copper is a base metal.

The $40 silver round is the safer bet. Do you even realize the mark up on a 1oz $3 copper round. Go do the math and then come back and make some sense. :rolleyes:

what does it matter what the markup is today. if copper doubles then i get $6 back.

silver doubling would go to $80. which one will happen first (or ever) who knows? but im only out $3 and not $40

thats how i look at my math..whatever premium i pay today i will surely get later and if not..heck its 1 less starbucks coffee i can sacrifice to pay for that premium

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
what does it matter what the markup is today. if copper doubles then i get $6 back.

silver doubling would go to $80. which one will happen first (or ever) who knows? but im only out $3 and not $40

thats how i look at my math..whatever premium i pay today i will surely get later and if not..heck its 1 less starbucks coffee i can sacrifice to pay for that premium

You are digging a hole now.

Like I said....go do the math then come back and make some sense.

Do you even know the value of 1oz of copper?

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 04:00 PM

ok genius..enlighten me. what is the 'value' of a 1oz copper

sliver573
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
The stories about people getting electrocuted stealing copper wire suggest that people will probably accept copper as barter if things get bad :p

but im only out $3 and not $40

If you took profits from silver (lets say you sell just one ounce at $40) and used it to buy copper you would have $40 in copper.

All that matters is the percentage change

bandicou2010
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

It's like taking candy from a baby. These guys have no common sense. It really is quite sad. No wonder so many mortgages are underwater... people just don't understand what they are getting into.

Copper IS a PM. :) Yeah sure, just that nobody knows this except the guys wanting to sell their copper to bigger fools. :) :) :)

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 04:06 PM
ok genius..enlighten me. what is the 'value' of a 1oz copper

Less than 30 cents buddy.

Starting to understand my reasoning yet?

Holdfast
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Joe, if you are keen to buy, why not just buy a few thousand dollars worth to see how it goes. I spoke to a guy back in the late 90's about copper stocks he had; he asked if he should sell, at that time, copper and scrap metal had very low prices and of course the rest is history.

China has an unquentiable thirst for copper and the electronics industry is only going to increase useage due to population increase and more consumer demand.

Personally, If you could buy copper and had the storage arrangements and you had a selling strategy before buying, I'd say buy some.

Having said that, for ease of getting out of copper quickly, I'd buy shares in Blue Chip Stocks. Australia has some good copper miners and as you know, the Australian dollar is out performing the dollar. Australian resource stocks have good exposure to the Chinese market, profits may plateau this year if the Australian Dollar continues to climb against the Green-back which it is forecast to do. The Oz, dollar, should fall mid 2012 back to about $0.90

Entering a position this year could see good capital gains for you in late 2012 and 13.

Best

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Joe, if you are keen to buy, why not just buy a few thousand dollars worth to see how it goes. I spoke to a guy back in the late 90's about copper stocks he had; he asked if he should sell, at that time, copper and scrap metal had very low prices and of course the rest is history.

China has an unquentiable thirst for copper and the electronics industry is only going to increase useage due to population increase and more consumer demand.

Personally, If you could buy copper and had the storage arrangements and you had a selling strategy before buying, I'd say buy some.

Having said that, for ease of getting out of copper quickly, I'd buy shares in Blue Chip Stocks. Australia has some good copper miners and as you know, the Australian dollar is out performing the dollar. Australian resource stocks have good exposure to the Chinese market, profits may plateau this year if the Australian Dollar continues to climb against the Green-back which it is forecast to do. The Oz, dollar, should fall mid 2012 back to about $0.90

Entering a position this year could see good capital gains for you in late 2012 and 13.

Best

great and sound advice. thank you

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Not so quick to address my last post....:D

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Less than 30 cents buddy.

Starting to understand my reasoning yet?

listen im all about being humble to learn new things so thank you for answering that

how exactly do you do the math for that based on current 'spot' of $4.41

also the cost of the oz round is more than 30c as it took a machine and time to make it into a round. in much the same way pointing at a sack of flour and yeast does not make bread cheaper..you still need to manufacture the finished product

36tothemoon
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
listen im all about being humble to learn new things so thank you for answering that

how exactly do you do the math for that based on current 'spot' of $4.41

also the cost of the oz round is more than 30c as it took a machine and time to make it into a round. in much the same way pointing at a sack of flour and yeast does not make bread cheaper..you still need to manufacture the finished product

Copper spot is based on a Pound of Copper....I can see where the confusion would come into play when you are in a silver spot price mentality.

Yes there is cost associated with making a copper coin, but it does not change the value of an Oz of copper.

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Copper spot is based on a Pound of Copper....I can see where the confusion would come into play when you are in a silver spot price mentality.

Yes there is cost associated with making a copper coin, but it does not change the value of an Oz of copper.

ok i appreciate the education. seems like for me i should get some cooper pennies and some of those bars and rounds just for keeps sake.

not sure about going more than $100 in right now until i see a better developed secondary market for the bullion products. although activity on ebay is quite healthy

cheesybread
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
If a 1oz copper round is 3$ and spot is 3.50$ a pound, that's a huge premium.

Id say definetely sort out pre 82 pennies. I've been doing for about a month.

bandicou2010
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
If a 1oz copper round is 3$ and spot is 3.50$ a pound, that's a huge premium.

Id say definetely sort out pre 82 pennies. I've been doing for about a month.

IF I had $3, I wouldn't buy a copper round. I'd get me's some cheesybread. Hummmm :)

joethebummer
04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
IF I had $3, I wouldn't buy a copper round. I'd get me's some cheesybread. Hummmm :)

wait you mean you cant eat copper either!?:mad: :confused:

cheesybread
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I wonder if there's an italian food ETF

John_in_NC
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
You guys must either have large houses or are looking for tiny gains. Physical copper rounds are you kidding me?

I agree Copper is a play but are you planning on storing thousands of pounds of copper? :confused:

Even silver gets rediculous after a 1000 oz or so.

Storing that much physical metals doesn't make sense to me. Rather have two pockets full of gold coins than a warehouse full of copper or a bathtub full of silver but that's just me.

ccjoe
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
You guys must either have large houses or are looking for tiny gains. Physical copper rounds are you kidding me?

I agree Copper is a play but are you planning on storing thousands of pounds of copper? :confused:

Storing that much physical metals doesn't make sense to me. Rather have two pockets full of gold coins than a warehouse full of copper or a bathtub full of silver but that's just me.

Hey we're all different.
I like to visit my site every week or so and look at the copper.
It makes me feel that some day, it will be worth a million.

bandicou2010
05-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't know if copper is a screaming buy, but it sure looks low right now. I really didn't expect to see it under $4 this year, and this morning it was $3.84. I think the selling in all base metals is overdone... :(

Chump Change
05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Copper rounds are interesting.
I bought 4 rolls...1 for resale on the bay...1 for introducing friends to bullion...and 2 for me for collecting.
It is better for me to show people a large "penny" and try to teach them about bullion than showing them an ASE.
I have the copper and a couple half dollars, one 90% one modern clad, with me at all times. I am going to add two pennies, one copper, one zinc...I need bigger pockets.:D
I bring one of them out and flip it. If asked, I can go into my dog and pony show and most will listen with interest.
I then have no need to talk about my personal stacking, I just keep the conversation on the metals themselves.
I suspect, most, will never take the education any further...
As far as the value from minting copper bullion into coins...
There is a value for production.
In the retail market, there is always a premium on any bullion for production purposes. It is normally in the secondary market where premiums may disappear.

ccjoe
05-15-2011, 06:15 PM
After the last 2 weeks I think we are ALL stunned.
I thought silver would be 100 by the Holidays and copper maybe 20 at least but last 2 weeks have changed most people's thinking.

fired
05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Looking at a $3.75 floor. If it falls below that, we may be looking at another 2008, although probably not as bad.

Mercuryman
05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Got this coin today, I don't have any other copper rounds. Just pennies, i like the numismatic value on this since this guy got arrested for minting these coins. Poor fellow, The silver liberty dollar is beautiful too, one has Ron Paul on it as well from 08

jeffersonian
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Great point. Silver stacker at 7 dollars an ounce, and copper and nickel have just recently come to my attention. Knew about gold at 350ish too, but too rich for my blood.

I agree, don't follow the herd, the herd is almost always positively wrong and completely brainwashed by mainstream 3 corporation indoctrination machine. Most get all their information from 3 companies owned by the elites and bankers. They are told how to think, and don't realize it because they are under the belief the information they are fed is fair and balanced. This is why they always lose, and those that can see past the brainwashing on tv, can profit from doing exact opposite as everyone else is.

jeffersonian
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Let's also face the fact that the possiblity of fiat collapsing soon, will drive people to metals. Copper and nickel will be more available than silver and gold. For day to day transactions, people will want copper and nickel coins for payment over paper or silver and gold. Silver and gold will be reserved for larger purchases, and smaller metals will be for buying food, clothes, ect.

That's how it was back 100 years ago, and will probably be so again.

bandicou2010
05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Not good news for all base metals if this happens:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43074584

If this happens China will be a screaming buy (after the fall). Jim Rogers stated earlier this year that he was waiting for China RE to collapse before buying...

GoldenRam
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM

And what do you do if we go to barter and all you want is a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk? Take the change in dollars which at that point will be losing half its value each day or let the cashier keep the change?

hortstu
05-18-2011, 11:54 PM

Good points... I have none of the above but I want to have as much as I can afford of the one that's delivering the best return when the time comes.

saigoned
05-19-2011, 01:29 AM

Your oz must be bigger than everyone elses. 2000oz silver coins fits in 2 small suitcases, similar to the max size you are allowed in an overhead locker of the plane. Can easily be pulled along!

I think Copper is a great buy, so much so for the last 2 months I have been looking at having my own "bullion" produced here in Vietnam, recently visited a factory that can smelt, cut to size, polish, stamp and package for me so am pretty excited about 'Copper' right now. Not for personal investment more for the fact that I can sell the bars on the bay and make a tidy premium off each.

Just thinking of a name now, ideas please:)

torpedoman
05-19-2011, 08:23 PM
just go to home depot and buy rolls of electric wiring strip off the insulation and have all the copper you want, I have no idea why you would want it it is not a PM and i don't see any" We buy your junk copper" shops springing up.

hortstu
05-20-2011, 01:03 AM
just go to home depot and buy rolls of electric wiring strip off the insulation and have all the copper you want, I have no idea why you would want it it is not a PM and i don't see any" We buy your junk copper" shops springing up.

Well first off there are plenty of scrap yards in my area and they want copper! With or without the insulation.

2nd you're going to pay way more than copper spot getting wire because it has been turned into a value added product. If you want to invest in copper wire or pipe fine but don't destroy all the value that has been added to it by hammering it into a useless shape!

3rd pennies are recognizable and known to be 95% pure copper before 1982 so there's no need to test for purity.

4th they're already selling on ebay for 1.7x face or more so give it 20 years and we can all kick ourselves. "If only I had bought some boxes in 1981 and put them in the garage." Kinda like the old timers that should have done that with silver quarters and halves in 1964. There's no need to melt them right now so don't tell me about the ban. I'd rather buy some recognizable silver coin/ bullion than a lump of metal of questionable purity. Consider this the ground floor. What do you think people thought of sorters in 1967 when silver was everywhere and at face value?

Finally, The fundamentals with copper are there just like they are with silver. They may be a little further out from a spike but they are there. You don't have to take my word for it though. I'm sure those that sort pennies would rather you leave them in circulation for them.

ccjoe
05-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Your oz must be bigger than everyone elses. 2000oz silver coins fits in 2 small suitcases, similar to the max size you are allowed in an overhead locker of the plane. Can easily be pulled along!

I think Copper is a great buy, so much so for the last 2 months I have been looking at having my own "bullion" produced here in Vietnam, recently visited a factory that can smelt, cut to size, polish, stamp and package for me so am pretty excited about 'Copper' right now. Not for personal investment more for the fact that I can sell the bars on the bay and make a tidy premium off each.

Just thinking of a name now, ideas please:)

VIETCOM COPPER!
You will make a fortune as people in Asia have a 9000 year history of copper as money AND can only afford copper as a "semi precious" soon to be mainstream precious metal.

zostar
07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
For the week of July 18th 2011 ...

Will copper surpass the $4.50/lb mark this week,

then onto $4.75/lb and beyond.

To me copper looks steady, strong, ready.

Copperhead
07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I have pre 83 brass pennies put away too. They are not pure copper,
but are already in the form that can circulate as currency.