PDA

View Full Version : ETFs Agricultural Commodities

nickndfl
03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
What impact of all the radiation on Japanese food products do you think will affect the movement of these ETFs?

DAG DBA DBC JJA MOO RJA RJI

cpr_metro
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
In my highly unprofessional opinion, Japan does not export alot of AG items. So as long as the cloud doesn't contaminate other countries, I think there will be no effect. If other countries get a good dose, I think alot depends upon what country the stuff lands in. Some countries dont have the technology to screen no less detect radiation in the AG food chain. So it is possible that a low tech country could export contaminated AG to another low tech country and no one would know anything about it. If it is detected in high levels that causes big AG consuming countries to ban imports from certain countries, then yes, you will see a price pop simply do to the fear factor, but I think it will only effect one season crop due to the half life of the fall out.

nickndfl
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
What about the necessity of increased importing by Japan because of the tragedy and the fact that excess radiation is being detected now in other Asian countries' food supply?

Long RJA, DAG, DBA

cpr_metro
03-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I have also been long DBA and RJA for over 1 year.
My patience has paid off. :D

For sure, if anything, the Jap event will be a positive.

galtbob
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Rice.

85% of the Japanese rice crop was wiped out by the tsunami.

Rice popped (sorry :p ) about 9% in three days.

nickndfl
03-22-2011, 08:06 PM
IMO, the information that the Japanese government is releasing about the radiation is not necessarily true. I am no conspiracy theorist, but you could not pay me enough to work at those destroyed nuclear plants nor would I be hungry enough to eat the local food even if the government said it was safe.

I would have left Dodge last week.