PDA

View Full Version : Carss's Crunchy Brokerage account discussion group

Carssman1
01-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I just wanted to start a thread regarding Stock brokerage accounts and topics surrounding each.

I myself deal with 2 companies at the Moment and I reside in Canada.

What I noticed, if anyone who trades within an RRSP account, usually uses TD Waterhouse.

Personally,,,, (Here we go) I think these guys are terrorists and should be hung out in the sun to wither and die. They charge a minimum of $29 per buy, and the sale of the stock can vary, all depending on how many shares you are selling. Upwards of $100 sometimes in my personal experience.

Now,,, here's the kicker,, TD will give you a break, but you have to do something like 40 trades in a quarter.... Perfect for day traders, but for regular joe's like myself, that is just un-realistic.

I decided enough was enough, how the hell is a guy going to make any money in this game if I am getting bent over every time I buy and sell.

I went out and expanded my horizons and came up with a few other online brokers. Being that I am in Canada... E-Trade was out of the question.

One of the other options I found was through Scotia bank and Questrade.

I went with the latter as they only charge $9.95 per trade and pennies on shares, over or under certain costs.

"This was great" I thought to myself, "I can literally start day trading without worrying if I should stay in a stock longer than I normally would have, due to the inflated brokerage fee's of buying and/or selling"

And there it was,,,,, the shining halo over my shiny new self directed RRSP account...through Questrade.

I was like a kid in a candy store, making stink bids all around,, multiple sell orders at once... It was a true gift from gods.

Since then, it has been crimson and capers, knowing that this is the best and the most cost effective way to go in and out of stocks... I did the unthinkable,,,, I transferred all my remaining assets and Dry powder from TD Waterhouse to my Questrade account.. I also wrote of the transfer form to close out the TD account entirely "Boy did that feel good"

One thing I especially like (other than the obvious cost reduction) with Questrade, is the platforms you can choose from... Simple guys like me don't need anything ridiculous or out to lunch. They let you choose the best platform that works best with your style of trading. I also like how it can track your money in real time on every percentage move in your stocks..

TD waterhouse just didn't make the cut, I overheard collectivist saying he had to force himself to do 40 trades per quarter, just to get the discount brokerage rate through Waterhouse and IMO, that just isnt right, remember, it's our money and we should be able to gamble it away without additional costs... You dont feel the need to pay the guy at the Roulette table $29 dollars just to sit down.....or maybe you do.. Not me though.

I said "screw you TD" Im a Questrade guy from now on.

The idea of this thread is to feel out more kitco-elites on this subject. We all have been filling up poor BoG's thread with these topics and discussions, and now we can shares our throughs and opinions of brokers,,, all consolidated into one Juicy thread.

Keep it coming guys,, and take care out there,, times are astray!!

Carssman

h00dat
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Excellent idea....

1st one in

And I'll add to the discussion, I am in the US and use Fidelity and am able to trade the TSX, TSX.V as well as other foreign exchanges The one-way commission is $19 CAD no share limit (at least up to 10k that I know of...haven't bought any tranches over 10k yet). Overall I am fairly happy with Fidelity, although they do have some nuances between the foreign side and the domestic side in your account balances, settlement amounts, portfolio, kicking me out of ATP, etc. I have been able to work around it by referring to my daily historical log I keep. I do like their Active Trader Platform as it gives me what I want...streaming quotes, news, etc.

I do want to explore other brokerages that may suit me better...Questrade sounds like it may be ideal.

BagOfGold
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Congratulations...on the starting of this great thread...so everyone will be able to trade directly on the TSX & TSX Ventures exchanges...without getting hosed!...Now...let the discussions begin!!!...:) :) :)

Bag Of Gold

mshen11
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
i wouldnt be so quick to write off tdameritrade. i was able to negotiate with them and get $7 any trade on the internet. sometimes they are nice enough to do broker assisted. i barely trade. i've been with these people a long time - datek, ameritrade, tdwaterhouse, etc... all of those companies. granted im stuck with pink sheet symbols but im told they have smart routing to TSE.

i was using IB before getting the negotiated price. IB is lacking because their price is a bit more expensive and if you sell more than 20K or 25K shares of penny stock, you can only place your order in during market hours (I always place stink bids so it doesnt quite work for me). HOWEVER these people are great about taking over the phone orders. ive been with these people since they opened shop and have preferred/grandfathered accounts - however i was not able to negotiate better terms.

schwab was too expensive for my taste. they were able to negotiate but the cost was too high for my taste. as was fidelity whom i also have been with many years.

Carssman1
01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, I thought I should add too, with my employer and the stock purchase plan they allow, I also have a slight position with Fidelity. Only US citizens are welcome to trade in and out of stocks through Fidelity, I myself can only conduct sales with the one stock (my Employers stock) and even then, I can only sell.

Prices seem to be good though, only $7.95 for the sell order (Could be a company deal though) from what I can remember.

I milk this purchase plan.. like you wouldn't believe.

My employer matches 15% of everything I put in but I cannot sell for 90 days after purchasing.

Company consolidates each paycheck, then purchases stock once a month, (on the 15th)

What I have done was, put in everything I possibly can into this plan,, minus RRSP contributions, and taxes.. ect (CPP, EI)

My employer then matches 15% of that..

Still following?

It all goes in,, I accumulate lots and lots of stock over the 3 month holding period.

And now,,,, I can cash out stock every month, as more and more comes mature to do so. Thus giving my self a little juicy raise and little risk to go with it, as there is multiple entries and I have the 15% buffer room before I risk my own cash.. Not to mention, i just started the withdrawels (as I waited the three months) and the stock is now up 9% overalle.

Good way to milk a great company benefit.

Thanks guys,,, I thought I would share that, After all, it is my Thread. :D

Also,, as I now redeem stock every month.. (this is a slow moving stock) I further reduce my risk, because I am now having multiple in's and out's.

So far, it only cost me about 13 bucks to sell and request the cash check.

Not a bad little play.

rothko
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
does anyone know if Etrade can convert OTC shares ie ( NWIFF ) to the NWI as traded on the Toronto Exchange as someone mentioned on BOG's penny stock thread ?

If so than converting "pink sheet" shares to the more liquid TSE traded shares may be as simple as transferring stock to an ETrade account.

axxell33
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
does anyone know if Etrade can convert OTC shares ie ( NWIFF ) to the NWI as traded on the Toronto Exchange as someone mentioned on BOG's penny stock thread ?

If so than converting "pink sheet" shares to the more liquid TSE traded shares may be as simple as transferring stock to an ETrade account.

Yes.. they can!

I just closed my Scottrade account and transferred it over to Etrade. I just spoke with a global account adviser (literally 5 mins ago) and as soon as the funds and current holdings are posted to my account, they are going to transfer the shares out of the OTC pink sheets and directly onto the TSX.

From then on, I will be able to convert currency and buy directly onto the TSX. So far, ETrade has been extremely helpful and their customer service has been top notch. I don't have anything negative to say about them. ;) :D

rothko
01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes.. they can!

I just closed my Scottrade account and transferred it over to Etrade. I just spoke with a global account adviser (literally 5 mins ago) and as soon as the funds and current holdings are posted to my account, they are going to transfer the shares out of the OTC pink sheets and directly onto the TSX.

From then on, I will be able to convert currency and buy directly onto the TSX. So far, ETrade has been extremely helpful and their customer service has been top notch. I don't have anything negative to say about them. ;) :D

that is excellent news! so for anyone holding the pinks in an account can simply transfer to Etrade and convert them to stocks tradeable on the foreign exchange.

I noticed today, when I was selling a few thousand of a penny stock, with a spread of one cent, I needed to come in approximately half a penny less than the current bid.

My current broker is TDAmeritrade, and for me at least, it would be a little ironic to move back to Etrade. I started my TDAmeritrade account because of the housing bust two years back. A citibank analyst gave ETrade about a 1/5 chance of going bankrupt iirc because of ETrade's exposure to the housing market.

ETrade's customer service is pretty good but beware of any computer glitches that harm your account. Their fine print that you sign on supposedly absolves them of typical computer glitches ! I know because a trade once cost me $35k because I traded the open, and they executed the order 15 minutes later ! By that time the price dropped 7 points and I couldnt sell the stock until it posted to my account 15 minutes later. :eek: On confronting ETrade on this loss, they pointed out their contract protected them from a lawsuit and I was offered 100 free trades. Needless to say I left them after that. Despite this I would consider moving some of my pink sheets to ETrade just because of their world trading platform, and because I believe that sort of problem could happen to any of the other brokers too with similar sad ending.:(

But they are still vulnerable to the housing market, which can still drop in price, and you might lose access to your account faster than you can say bank run. Supposedly the trading account is covered by the govt for $500k, but I wouldnt want to stake my well being on that if there is a wave of bank failures following a crashing housing market on its second leg down.

Goldpot
01-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Anyone know a broker who can do Austrailian exchange? (I am in US)

I am using TDAmeritrade, $5 commisions (used to be Freetrade)

Cloud Puncher
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes.. they can!

Sweet! Going to try this now... Thanks axxell. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical for a bit, don't know why really; but this afternoon I opened up a global trading account in hopes of figuring out how to do this :)

(can't stand to watch that spread so huge on the pinks)

axxell33
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Sweet! Going to try this now... Thanks axxell. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical for a bit, don't know why really; but this afternoon I opened up a global trading account in hopes of figuring out how to do this :)

(can't stand to watch that spread so huge on the pinks)

Just give them a call during trading hours and explain they you want to trade your pink-sheet OTC securities for shares on the TSX. They will transfer you to the global dept and then they will initiate an account transfer.

Mine is not yet fully complete. However, as of today, my transfer has been placed, but have not yet removed my shares from my US account. Right now I have shares in both accounts! Maybe it is an error and they will forget to close them out.. doubling my account value overnight. I couldn't be sooo lucky!!! lol

Good luck!

Cloud Puncher
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I just got off the phone with etrade :) what a seamless process... she told me that since all of my "pinks" were traded on the TSX that it was very simple. She put in the order, and explained that it would take five to seven business days :D How nice it will be...

Thanks for putting this thread together Car!

(website says call 24 hours, so I did :) )

dmanson
02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm another vote for E-Trade. Closing Scottrade to get out of the pinks. Thanks to this forum for the advice!

rothko
02-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Just give them a call during trading hours and explain they you want to trade your pink-sheet OTC securities for shares on the TSX. They will transfer you to the global dept and then they will initiate an account transfer.

Mine is not yet fully complete. However, as of today, my transfer has been placed, but have not yet removed my shares from my US account. Right now I have shares in both accounts! Maybe it is an error and they will forget to close them out.. doubling my account value overnight. I couldn't be sooo lucky!!! lol

Good luck!

the transfer process to Etrade takes quite a few days to complete and you must not trade the assets that you are transferring in that time frame- if your old account shows that your old positions are still there, you cannot "sell those positions" on the open market to close them out. ( I did this once while transferring from ETrade after being frustrated with how long the process was taking ) You are still liable for the trade, and a sale in your old account following final settlng of positions in their respective accounts would show as a short sale of that security.

PS yes I know you were kidding about having double positions :D

BBestP
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Question

I use Fidelity for pink sheet international trades in my retirement accts. I was under the impression that all of the trades were $7.95 I just found out that there is a $50 fee charged for each of these that do not have electronic settlement. Does Etrade charge the same? I can't believe I didn't notice this before.

Edit: Guess I could have searched etrade before I posted my question. The copy/paste doesn't come out well, but looks like they charge $55

inframan
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I trade pinks on Fidelity too. Of the stocks that I buy only a few have that extra $50 fee. I just wrote an order for one that had the extra fee, it said it would be executed through Etrade, I believe Etrade charges $20 for international trades.

I might put some money with Etrade, sometime the pink sheets suck. I had a bid for 1.15 on a stock, it hit 1.14 twice but my order never filled, its at 1.70 now.

BBestP
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I trade pinks on Fidelity too. Of the stocks that I buy only a few have that extra $50 fee. I just wrote an order for one that had the extra fee, it said it would be executed through Etrade, I believe Etrade charges $20 for international trades.

I might put some money with Etrade, sometime the pink sheets suck. I had a bid for 1.15 on a stock, it hit 1.14 twice but my order never filled, its at 1.70 now.

I think that there is a $55 fee for the trade if the stock ends in 'F' So if it's listed on the Nasdaq exchange and a foreign exchange. I've been checking all the brokers and google-ing my head off and can not find anywhere that doesn't have an ADR fee.

h00dat
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I think that there is a $55 fee for the trade if the stock ends in 'F' So if it's listed on the Nasdaq exchange and a foreign exchange. I've been checking all the brokers and google-ing my head off and can not find anywhere that doesn't have an ADR fee.

Too bad your restricted on the retirement accounts. Maybe, as you hinted, you should open a regular brokereage account at Fidelity and start trading international without all of these headaches...

Moonstruck
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I trade my 2 IRA accounts on the pinks with Fidelity. So far I have been charged an extra $50 for :

GMVMF GMV MINERALS INC
XRESF XTIERRA INC

Trades with only the $7.95 commisions, so far :

AGEEF APOGEE MINERALS
AXMIF AXMIN INC.
CNSNF CONSTANTINE METAL RESOURCES
MKRIF MELKIOR RESOURCES INC
NWIFF NUINSCO RESOURCES LIMITED
RPMGF RYE PATCH GOLD CORP
RVMID REVETT MINERALS INC
SNDXF SANDSTORM RESOURCES LTD
TYHJF TYHEE GOLD CORPORATION

There are allso the unlisted US$ to CN$ swap costs and extra dealer spreads to overcome. If you can get a tradeing account that is not forced to use the pinks, go for it... :o

BBestP
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Too bad your restricted on the retirement accounts. Maybe, as you hinted, you should open a regular brokereage account at Fidelity and start trading international without all of these headaches...

I have one, but most of my funds are in my retirement accts. So I can trade some on international, but not enough.

90percentsilver
02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I think eTrade fits my bill since I'm mainly trading on the Canadian stock exchange. What DOES bother me is the talk about them going going out of business or something. On the frontpage of Yahoo a week or two ago was an article about the 10 companies not to be around in 2011 and one of them was eTrade. If that happens what happens to my stocks that were bought through them??? I could see if I have MONEY sitting with them and I lost it but what about stocks that are in my name?? Anybody have any ideas/thoughts about this???

axxell33
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I think eTrade fits my bill since I'm mainly trading on the Canadian stock exchange. What DOES bother me is the talk about them going going out of business or something. On the frontpage of Yahoo a week or two ago was an article about the 10 companies not to be around in 2011 and one of them was eTrade. If that happens what happens to my stocks that were bought through them??? I could see if I have MONEY sitting with them and I lost it but what about stocks that are in my name?? Anybody have any ideas/thoughts about this???

Here is the article..

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing/10-american-companies-that-will-disappear-in-2011/19798647/

I wish I had seen this a while back. However, if something were to happen, the clients would not be kicked to the street. The company would more than likely just be bought out. I believe the article mentions that and names a few likely contenders.

90percentsilver
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Here is the article..

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing/10-american-companies-that-will-disappear-in-2011/19798647/

I wish I had seen this a while back. However, if something were to happen, the clients would not be kicked to the street. The company would more than likely just be bought out. I believe the article mentions that and names a few likely contenders.

yep! that was it! I wonder if TDA buys it if it will then gain the ability to directly buy of the canadian stock exhcnage? Or will TDA drop it as it merges ET with TDA?:rolleyes:

hmm still not sure what to do.

Cloud Puncher
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
the transfer process to Etrade takes quite a few days to complete and you must not trade the assets that you are transferring in that time frame- if your old account shows that your old positions are still there, you cannot "sell those positions" on the open market to close them out. ( I did this once while transferring from ETrade after being frustrated with how long the process was taking ) You are still liable for the trade, and a sale in your old account following final settlng of positions in their respective accounts would show as a short sale of that security.

PS yes I know you were kidding about having double positions :D

I'm being very careful not to sell anything; I figured that might throw a pretty good sized wrench into the works :)

could someone clarify this?

Looking at etrade's Global Trading commissions

(CAD)
Online stock trades: $19.99
Broker-Assisted stock Trade: $55.00

what makes a stock "broker assisted"... what if I just want the assistant to go away? :rolleyes:

BBestP
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm being very careful not to sell anything; I figured that might throw a pretty good sized wrench into the works :)

could someone clarify this?

Looking at etrade's Global Trading commissions

(CAD)
Online stock trades: $19.99
Broker-Assisted stock Trade: $55.00

what makes a stock "broker assisted"... what if I just want the assistant to go away? :rolleyes:

I believe the $55 is for stocks that are not traded electronically and a broker has to do it manually. Lots of the international pennies with an 'F' at the end of their symbol are this way.

Carssman1
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
For all you Questraders

Just thought I would cut and paste this here as it is about thier software upgrades yadda yadda!

02/01/2011 11:12:36 Important notice >> Due to the software upgrades in myQuestrade, all your personal and account related information is moving to a new format. Please confirm your contact information is correct. Login to myQuestrade after February 7th, 2011, click the my accounts tab and then my profile. You will be prompted to use our update contact info form.

02/01/2011 11:12:12 Important notice >> All stocks and options clients will receive a new ten-digit account number. If you have more than one account, you will receive a number for each. To look up your new number, login to myQuestrade after Monday, February 7th and click the my accounts tab.

02/01/2011 11:11:40 Important notice >> On Friday, February 4th at 5:30 p.m. ET, we will be restricting access to all stocks and options trading platforms in order to perform software upgrades. If you have any open orders, they will be cancelled at this time. Regular trading will resume at approximately 8:30 a.m. ET on February 7th. Please re-enter any open orders you want to maintain. For more information, visit go.Questrade.com. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks for making this a successful thread friends :D

BagOfGold
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
For all you Questraders

Just thought I would cut and paste this here as it is about thier software upgrades yadda yadda!

02/01/2011 11:12:36 Important notice >> Due to the software upgrades in myQuestrade, all your personal and account related information is moving to a new format. Please confirm your contact information is correct. Login to myQuestrade after February 7th, 2011, click the my accounts tab and then my profile. You will be prompted to use our update contact info form.

02/01/2011 11:12:12 Important notice >> All stocks and options clients will receive a new ten-digit account number. If you have more than one account, you will receive a number for each. To look up your new number, login to myQuestrade after Monday, February 7th and click the my accounts tab.

02/01/2011 11:11:40 Important notice >> On Friday, February 4th at 5:30 p.m. ET, we will be restricting access to all stocks and options trading platforms in order to perform software upgrades. If you have any open orders, they will be cancelled at this time. Regular trading will resume at approximately 8:30 a.m. ET on February 7th. Please re-enter any open orders you want to maintain. For more information, visit go.Questrade.com. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks for making this a successful thread friends :D

Yes!...I got the same message!...One of my brokerage accounts has already been transferred...the other one won't make it until Feb 7th or later!!!...:) :eek: :)

Bag Of Gold

Carssman1
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes!...I got the same message!...One of my brokerage accounts has already been transferred...the other one won't make it until Feb 7th or later!!!...:) :eek: :)

Bag Of Gold

Im looking at the same timeframe for my transfer to go through.

Makes a bit angry as the profit taking I have been doing this week, has been costing me dearly through TDWaterhouse.

Let me know how you like Questrade BoG.

Regards

90percentsilver
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I believe the $55 is for stocks that are not traded electronically and a broker has to do it manually. Lots of the international pennies with an 'F' at the end of their symbol are this way.

hmm How does that work? For instance "Great Panther Silver Limited" has two symbols according to Google Finance:

Great Panther Silver Limited GPRLF
Great Panther Silver Limited GPR

Arian Silver has two also:

ASLRF
AGQ

....so if buying these two stocks on eTrade then I'd just buy the non-"F" stocks AGQ and GPR --or-- since there is a "F" of both stocks then I get hit with the brokerage fee no matter which one I buy..?? :confused: Sorry I'm not trying to be stupid here, just trying to make sure I understand before jumping in and getting taken to the cleaners on fees... :eek:

Cloud Puncher
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
hmm How does that work? For instance "Great Panther Silver Limited" has two symbols according to Google Finance:

Great Panther Silver Limited GPRLF
Great Panther Silver Limited GPR

Arian Silver has two also:

ASLRF
AGQ

....so if buying these two stocks on eTrade then I'd just buy the non-"F" stocks AGQ and GPR --or-- since there is a "F" of both stocks then I get hit with the brokerage fee no matter which one I buy..?? :confused: Sorry I'm not trying to be stupid here, just trying to make sure I understand before jumping in and getting taken to the cleaners on fees... :eek:

Na, the "aslrf" is traded on the "pinks", wheras "AGQ" is traded on the TSX. 9.99 trade for the aslrf on the pinks, 19.99 trade for AGQ on TSX.

Disclaimer: "I think, but am pretty sure"

90percentsilver
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Na, the "aslrf" is traded on the "pinks", wheras "AGQ" is traded on the TSX. 9.99 trade for the aslrf on the pinks, 19.99 trade for AGQ on TSX.

Disclaimer: "I think, but am pretty sure"

ok so then it seems as long as I stick with things on the general TSX then it should just be the $20 fee. I can live with that. :)

BTW if I understand this correctly, the TSX and the pinks are separate. IOW a million people may want to buy GPR on the TSX, and I want to sell my GPRLF pink stock, but if there aren't any GPRLF pink/OTC buyers then it won't sell even though there are buyers on the TSX. Do I understand correctly? If I do then that is a heck of a good reason to trade directly on the TSX!

mshen11
02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
it depends.

a lot of the brokerages will have auto routing where if you enter to buy a pink sheet they may route to tsx if conditions are favorable. if so, it doesnt register as a sale on the OTCBB

i dont know what favorable means but i have seen it work in my favor... so i cant complain

Cloud Puncher
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
ok so then it seems as long as I stick with things on the general TSX then it should just be the $20 fee. I can live with that. :)

BTW if I understand this correctly, the TSX and the pinks are separate. IOW a million people may want to buy GPR on the TSX, and I want to sell my GPRLF pink stock, but if there aren't any GPRLF pink/OTC buyers then it won't sell even though there are buyers on the TSX. Do I understand correctly? If I do then that is a heck of a good reason to trade directly on the TSX!

Exactly :D The OTCBB is a private LLC, they have to make money... I don't remember what stock I was watching the other day, but I saw the spread on the pinks: "bid: .37" "ask: .43", (very low volume) then checked the same stock on the TSX, bid and ask were exactly the same (very high volume)

Cloud Puncher
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I got this message this afternoon in my etrade inbox...

Wed Feb 02 17:09:44 2011 Account Transfer Request Complete

Your Account Transfer request is complete.

Transfer amount: $0.00
From Account: XXXX-XXXX
To Account: XXXX-XXXX
Case number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I got pretty excited for a moment, then I clicked on my "Global Trading" link, and saw nothing there... thought about it for a minute, then decided to put nervous nelly to bed. I called etrade, and stated that last night I had called, and asked to transfer all of my holdings that are on the "pinks", to the TSX, and of course the nice lady on the phone said "no problem", etc... And I just got this message that says the transfer is complete, but I don't see anything in the Global account, it looks to me like its still sitting on the pinks. I then reiterated the fact she did tell me it would take five to seven business days, and that was just fine, but why does it look like its still on the pinks?

He explained that everything has been moved, the transfer is complete, but there is a "settling" period. He also went on to explain that it will be more like 3 days, not 5-7. I told him I just wanted to clear up a small bit of confusion I had; and I have to say, he was very helpful.

On a side note, I don't own any shares of etrade, but the customer service there is top notch ;)

axxell33
02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
It's been 4 days since I initiated my transfer with Etrade. I'm still showing shares in both the US account and the Global account. I'm anxious for it to be final! :eek:

My main concern now is how Etrade allows its clients to interact on the global markets. In the normal US portfolio, you can view your portfolio with real time data and several different view options. This updates showing the current price, bid/ask, volume, current days % move, etc. There is nothing like this on the Global side!

Under the Global tab, there is a "positions" sub-tab.. but that is not interactive at all and shows very little information. Perhaps this will change once the transfer is complete? If not, then WTF?!? Will I be watching price movements on another website and trading with Etrade? Still glad I am given access to the TSX, but how inconvenient is that!? I hope I'm missing something here.. :mad: :confused:

rothko
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
It's been 4 days since I initiated my transfer with Etrade. I'm still showing shares in both the US account and the Global account. I'm anxious for it to be final! :eek:

My main concern now is how Etrade allows its clients to interact on the global markets. In the normal US portfolio, you can view your portfolio with real time data and several different view options. This updates showing the current price, bid/ask, volume, current days % move, etc. There is nothing like this on the Global side!

Under the Global tab, there is a "positions" sub-tab.. but that is not interactive at all and shows very little information. Perhaps this will change once the transfer is complete? If not, then WTF?!? Will I be watching price movements on another website and trading with Etrade? Still glad I am given access to the TSX, but how inconvenient is that!? I hope I'm missing something here.. :mad: :confused:

those are all good questions. The global trading in my Etrade account still allows real time data when you input a buy or sell order ( a tab pops up with real time price with bid and ask and volume ) But I dont see book depth or anything else.

I am thinking about transferring some of my pinks to ETrade because I am getting such poor execution on the pinks. I hope they offer a similar console type display as they do with trading US stocks including level II quotes etc

1trojan
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I've read a lot of post about troubles with getting fills on the pink sheets. I've been trading on the TSX with an interactive brokers account. The commissions are reasonable too. The platform is a little complicated at first.

I don't buy the monthly real time charts though, it may be useful for people who daytrade.

Cloud Puncher
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Alright, heres the deal...

My account "settled" this afternoon, and so did my mood. Sorry to say axxell, it is exactly as you describe. Instead of the portfolio screen we are normally used to, (bear with me readers):

The following is a description of what is seen on an etrade US Brokerage portfolio page: ... all laid out nicely I might add

Portfolios

Symbol (interactive), buy (interactive), sell (interactive), last trade, $ gain, % gain, Day's gain, Qty, price paid, total gain $, total gain %, Market Val & totals

an example would look as follows:

AXMIN buy sell 0.42 $0.10 23.80% $1,000 10,000 $0.22 +$2,000 +93% $4200

Now, in the Global Trading portfolio, it looks as follows:

CA.AXM Axmin 10,000 0.42 4,200

Thats it! :eek:

I wasn't furious, or even angry; I felt dumb really. I called etrade, explained that I had made a mistake and that if there were a fee I had to pay for the trouble, that would be fine to; could you please swap all of my positions that are now on the TSX back to my US Brokerage account? No, sorry. You can transfer positions/stocks from the US to a foreign exchange, but not the other way around.

I explained how much more user friendly the interface was with the brokerage account, and that the global account has no interface, just a list. He suggested I create a "watchlist" in my portfolio, with the stocks, cost basis, etc... listed in a "fake" portfolio... I then asked, "So, the only way to get my funds back into my brokerage account from the global account is to sell all of the funds, let them settle, then transfer? Yes.

So I did it... sorry, I couldn't stand it; sorry for the bad news axxell. If your used to the original format and layout and interaction of your regular brokerage, and are expecting the same, you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you don't mind just glancing at a list (it seriously looks like a piece of paper that has been typed on, no links on the sheet at all) it will be fine. A person could "create" a mirror like portfolio on the US side that will reflect your positions, but there would be no, buy, sell, etc... links. You have to go back to the Global portfolio, click on a "trade" tab only to be taken to a blank sheet: you fill in the stock, quantity, limit, etc... COMPLETE PITA to me, and not worth it to me. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night... I can be a bit strange like that, but it was just too much.

I wanted to lay this out here in case anyone in the future thinks that everything is going to look the same on etrade when you transfer from your us brokerage to global trading account. It won't. I'm ok with it now, only because I know things will be put back the way they were. I'm not so happy with the pinks, but to me anyway, it beats the global account. DYODD

I should have left well enough alone... pfffttt... lesson learned

axxell33
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks.. CP.

I'm not a happy camper. I'm so irritated right now I don't know what to say. :eek: :mad:

90percentsilver
02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Any word on how an Interactive Brokers account compares when it comes to the showing/displaying of information (what Cloud Puncher is talking about)?? I'd still like to directly trade on the TSX.

axxell33
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Any word on how an Interactive Brokers account compares when it comes to the showing/displaying of information?? I'd still like to directly trade on the TSX.

They're very expensive.. either 1 cent a share or 0.05% of total value of the trade.

e.g. 10000 shares at .10 cents is either $100 for total shares or $50 based on percentage..

both WAY too high.

90percentsilver
02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
They're very expensive.. either 1 cent a share or 0.05% of total value of the trade.

e.g. 10000 shares at .10 cents is either $100 for total shares or $50 based on percentage..

both WAY too high.

ouch ..I agree. hummm what to do what to do...hmm

90percentsilver
02-04-2011, 12:14 AM
What I do wonder is if eTrade's lack of TSX information would matter to someone inexperienced like me? I use Google Finance to track all my stocks and portfolios and only log in to TDA when I am ready to buy/sell. Not sure if that's a good way to do all of this but that's how I've been doing it. :o

ETA: I looked at the post closer and everything it is talking about is stuff I track in Google Finance so not sure if any of this will really affect me. I find TDA's interface too slow and 'busy' and confusing with stuff all over the place when it comes to tracking portfolios so that's why I just track it all in Google Finance.

Cloud Puncher
02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
What I do wonder is if eTrade's lack of TSX information would matter to someone inexperienced like me? I use Google Finance to track all my stocks and portfolios and only log in to TDA when I am ready to buy/sell. Not sure if that's a good way to do all of this but that's how I've been doing it. :o

Yea, you might like it 90... its just not for me. I very much liked to see that I had X amount of shares, X% gained, X$ profits, etc... all on the same "sheet". I can't stand flipping between accounts, I'll admit, I'm weird like that... the original etrade platform spoiled me like that. FWIW, I gathered from the phone conversations that the Global MAY someday be like this, but not now.

but the worst of it for me anyway, was the running total... its either in Euro or CAD $. It made no sense to me for the layout to be that cumbersome. Again, its not for me, but may be just fine for others.

I'm now left holding my ***c with no interest in any positions... this makes me nervous. Next Monday or Tuesday though, I will be in a position to start with a clean slate. I still took a profit, after trading fees, etc... so its not all bad, but pffttt... whadya do.

I was happy to get rid of melkior which hadn't moved since purchase, and I am sitting on a small profit, and complete dry powder. I'll spend the weekend picking 8 that I wont mind sitting on for a while; wait for the double, sell half, repeat, etc...

I really hear ya axxell; or I wouldn't have sold all of my positions, just couldn't stand it though. Sorry for the bad news, I should have looked into it a bit further before I made the first call :( But I didn't, so all I can do is look up and ahead

Have a good Friday

watcher01
02-04-2011, 01:33 AM

One of the other options I found was through Scotia bank and Questrade.

I went with the latter as they only charge $9.95 per trade and pennies on shares, over or under certain costs.

Carssman

Carssman,

From Questrade - "Stock trades are a penny per share, $4.95 minimum / $9.95 maximum – plus you can transfer your account to Questrade for free."

Does that mean to buy our less penny stocks, I have to pay a penny per share in addition to max 9.95 ? If that is the case this is not a cost effective for stocks on BOG's list. Please let me know as I am thinking of opening account Online with Questrade but penny a share will simply kill it.

In your first post you implied that there is "pennies on shares, over or under certain costs." What is the over-under range here?

Thanks,
SA

axxell33
02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Yea, you might like it 90... its just not for me. I very much liked to see that I had X amount of shares, X% gained, X$ profits, etc... all on the same "sheet". I can't stand flipping between accounts, I'll admit, I'm weird like that... the original etrade platform spoiled me like that. FWIW, I gathered from the phone conversations that the Global MAY someday be like this, but not now.

but the worst of it for me anyway, was the running total... its either in Euro or CAD $. It made no sense to me for the layout to be that cumbersome. Again, its not for me, but may be just fine for others.

I'm now left holding my ***c with no interest in any positions... this makes me nervous. Next Monday or Tuesday though, I will be in a position to start with a clean slate. I still took a profit, after trading fees, etc... so its not all bad, but pffttt... whadya do.

I was happy to get rid of melkior which hadn't moved since purchase, and I am sitting on a small profit, and complete dry powder. I'll spend the weekend picking 8 that I wont mind sitting on for a while; wait for the double, sell half, repeat, etc...

I really hear ya axxell; or I wouldn't have sold all of my positions, just couldn't stand it though. Sorry for the bad news, I should have looked into it a bit further before I made the first call :( But I didn't, so all I can do is look up and ahead

Have a good Friday

I agree with everything you are saying. I have to see the daily movements in my holdings.. I think that is really important to understand the behavior. It's great for planning entry and exit points and without it, I feel like I don't know what is going on. I dont know what to do now.. I hate wasting the money to cash out and even if I do, where do I go now? I can't stand not having my orders filled on the pinks.

What do you guys know about Questrade? I know they are a Canadian company.. so can we open an account as a US Citizen? I'm sending them an email now and I'll update here with what I am able to find out.

I shared this in BoG's thread last night, but here is an article that discusses "going global" and diversifying out of the USD specifically into the CAD. It addresses a few options for transferring assets..

http://www.safehaven.com/article/19879/go-global-before-its-too-late?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+safehaven%2Fall-articles+%28Safehaven+-+Most+Recent+Articles%29

BBestP
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
I posted this over on BoG's thread yesterday and Carss mentioned that it might be worthwhile to post it over here as well.

Just a heads up if you have HSBC or are considering using them.

Have been waiting since last week for hsbc to transfer funds so I could buy some stocks. It still hadn't happened as of this morning so I logged in to see what was going on. My transfers had been locked, so I called and they said they did this regularly for security reasons. To get it unlocked I would need to fill out a form send it to one of their offices and then they would unlock the account and I would have to do the same thing every time they locked it. I couldn't believe that nonsense, so I closed my account. What a complete waste of time.

Bbp

Carssman1
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I posted this over on BoG's thread yesterday and Carss mentioned that it might be worthwhile to post it over here as well.

Just a heads up if you have HSBC or are considering using them.

Have been waiting since last week for hsbc to transfer funds so I could buy some stocks. It still hadn't happened as of this morning so I logged in to see what was going on. My transfers had been locked, so I called and they said they did this regularly for security reasons. To get it unlocked I would need to fill out a form send it to one of their offices and then they would unlock the account and I would have to do the same thing every time they locked it. I couldn't believe that nonsense, so I closed my account. What a complete waste of time.

Bbp

Thanks BBest,

You could always flee the US and live in my basement as a refugee ;)

Carssman1
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Carssman,

From Questrade - "Stock trades are a penny per share, $4.95 minimum / $9.95 maximum – plus you can transfer your account to Questrade for free."

Does that mean to buy our less penny stocks, I have to pay a penny per share in addition to max 9.95 ? If that is the case this is not a cost effective for stocks on BOG's list. Please let me know as I am thinking of opening account Online with Questrade but penny a share will simply kill it.

In your first post you implied that there is "pennies on shares, over or under certain costs." What is the over-under range here?

Thanks,
SA

In this case its $9.95 MAX,

Thats it that all buy and sell

Dealing with thousands of shares, they would absolutely rape us on these pennies if that was the case, that is why they cap it at 9.95 per trade, no matter how many shares you buy.

If you can, I highly recommend it.

Speaking if which

Not sure if you read this thread often BoG, but I am curious how you are liking the platforms Questrade offers?

Overalle how do like Questrade?

Thanks guys

The only Pink I dealt with was LIEG.OB

I even got that through Questrade but not my RRSP account.

even then it was like 9.95.

A little harder to buy and sell as the vol is quite low, but I managed to get in and out both times, at was I was bidding for and asking at.

Regards

BBestP
02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks BBest,

You could always flee the US and live in my basement as a refugee ;)

When was the last time you checked your basement? I have been hiding there for months

Carssman1
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
When was the last time you checked your basement? I have been hiding there for months

I thought I smelled something funky near my furnace.

:D

BBestP
02-04-2011, 12:06 PM
FWIW, I went through each trading commission for the last year. The only one that hit me with the extra $50 was Jiminex. All other penny stocks were $7.95 through Fidelity.

axxell33
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
response from Questrade.. just what I expected, but wanted to make sure..

We are sorry that if you are US resident, Questrade cannot hold regular trading accounts (margin account) for US residents. This rule is from the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.

mshen11
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM

both WAY too high.

IB's pennies are 8.95$ if i recall correctly.
that or i am grandfathered into their older account structures

h00dat
02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
response from Questrade.. just what I expected, but wanted to make sure..

That's odd...this from their website.

The following information will be asked from all account holders and authorized traders:
Full legal name
Social insurance number if Canadian
Social security number if American
Citizenship and passport if non-Canadian citizen
Residential and mailing address
Bank account information
Phone
Email address
Employer name, address and phone, or source of income if not employed
Financial information (annual income, liquid net worth, and total net worth)

Cloud Puncher
02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Made it back to the US side today, feeling a bit ho hum about the whole deal; but I do feel a LOT better with the running totals column; day's $gain, day's % gain, price paid, etc... I will have to live with the spread for now; ex. "bid" .35 / "ask" .39 ~ its a stretch, but with a $10 trade tag, and the % gains realized from these positions, I do prefer the brokerage side of things.

JMO

/rant

Da Silver Surfer
02-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Has anyone noticed that E*Trade Global Trading does not allow limit orders for Good Til 60 days like they do on the US side? It's inconvenient to have to reset your limit orders daily, especially if you want to put in some stink bids.

I am not sure if the other brokerages allow for Good Til 60 days or Good Til Cancelled on their Global side, but this would seem like a no-brainer feature to add.

C'mon E*Trade, hook us up! :eek:

axxell33
02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm so irritated.. I don't know what to do!!!!!

Etrade sucks.. IB costs too much, surely I am just crazy and overlooking something good here, right? I talked to ETrade yesterday and while I was on I asked them about upgrading to Pro or one of the real time streaming subscriptions.. and they informed me that it would not work on global trading. I then asked if they had any plans to upgrade that and he said he believed that it had been talked about but he had not been given any specific information.

What a load of b******t.

Here is what I am doing now..

I'm still going to place my trades on Etrade. But I'm creating a portfolio externally. Some folks use yahoo finance, some use google finance, but I really like tsx,com. You can sign up for a free account and it gives you a portfolio. This can track all of your alerts (news and pricing), decent charting, and they even provide delayed market depth price summary.. like a level II. I won't be day trading for 1/16 points so this is very useful for me.. but not critical. However, they do offer a subscription real time streaming level II for you day trader types. They also track US markets. 5 portfolios are available in the free account.

So anyway, I'm going to be placing some short term swings through the rest of the week where timing will be a bit more important. I'll see how Etrade executes and base my decision on that. I'm nervous.. I won't lie.. :cool:

BagOfGold
02-09-2011, 09:01 AM
that all of you would find a viable solution to trading directly on TSX & TSX Ventures stocks...instead of the pinks!...I am still hoping...& won't give up the hope!...Don't give up...work with a compromise if you can!!!...:eek: :) :eek:

Bag Of Gold

GuyinSA
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey

I have a TD Ameritrade account. Etrade won't let me open an account with them (I am not a US resident.) Interactive Brokers will open an account for me, but after a little bit sniffing I found an online brokerage in Singapore.

I thought of Singapore after I read something by Doug Casey and his recommendations of different brokers, he had a favorite broker in Sinapore but I have no idea what it was.

Anyway, I have posted the paperwork through to them and am waiting for the account to open.

I should be able to trade London, USA, Canada, Hong Kong and Singapore directly (maybe others too, but I forget).

Commissions vary, but essentially $29 CAD for the penny trades I want to make. More expensive than trading the pinks through TD Ameritrade, but I don't want all my eggs in a (US) brokerage.

Also, has anybody here considered an account with Rick Rule's company, Global Resource Investments? They charge $60 a trade but they do plenty of research (which they will only communicate over the phone, not in paper). They do come highly recommended. By all impressions Rick Rule has made buckets and mountains of money in his time and he supposedly shares his own recommendations to clients of his firm (his firm was also recently bought by Sprott but I think the team is not changing). Maybe the $60 is worth it for the expert advice and suggestions? Anyone?

SmugSilverBug
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi All,
Although I've been following BoG for quite sometime now, I am now an official new member!

I feel everyone's frustration, as I also opened an ETrade account, hoping to transfer my Ameritrade account pink sheets over to the TSX. We were told straight up from the beginning that we'd have to sell our pinks ourselves and transfer the money to our ETrade account. We gave ETrade a try, but the Global Trading portion of the website is not very intuitive at all! Let's just say that this expensive little laptop I'm typing this on just about met the wall. They round up the penny stocks, so you have to search for the real price. They don't offer real-time quotes for the TSX and you cannot even access your Global Trading account from their mobile app.

We're thinking about checking out PennTrade..although they are expensive (29.95 with every 10th trade free) and I believe you have to pay for real-time TSX quotes. Does anyone have any experience with PennTrade?

Happy investing!

Cloud Puncher
02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi All,
Although I've been following BoG for quite sometime now, I am now an official new member!

I feel everyone's frustration, as I also opened an ETrade account, hoping to transfer my Ameritrade account pink sheets over to the TSX. We were told straight up from the beginning that we'd have to sell our pinks ourselves and transfer the money to our ETrade account. We gave ETrade a try, but the Global Trading portion of the website is not very intuitive at all! Let's just say that this expensive little laptop I'm typing this on just about met the wall. They round up the penny stocks, so you have to search for the real price. They don't offer real-time quotes for the TSX and you cannot even access your Global Trading account from their mobile app.

We're thinking about checking out PennTrade..although they are expensive (29.95 with every 10th trade free) and I believe you have to pay for real-time TSX quotes. Does anyone have any experience with PennTrade?

Happy investing!

Amen Brotha :) I feel your pain... back on the pink side of things again, much happier. I don't have any experience with penn... seems pretty steep though?

Welcome to the forum :) ;)

axxell33
02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I was checking into Penntrade as well.. however, I believe they are owned by JPMorgan! =) I think something inside me would prevent me to wire money to the below address! :eek:

We just can't win for losin, huh?

How do I wire transfer funds to my PennTrade account?
You will need the following information to wire funds:

JP Morgan Chase Bank
One Chase Manhattan Plaza
New York, NY 10005

ABA # : 021000021

For Further Credit to: National Financial Services LLC (NFS)
Account #: 066196-221
100 Crosby Pkwy
Covington, KY 41015

FFC / Memo or Additional Instructions section: Your Name
Final credit A/C: Your 9 digit account number at Pennaluna

SWIFT CODE: CHASUS33 (only required for wires originating from outside the US)

Cloud Puncher
02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
that all of you would find a viable solution to trading directly on TSX & TSX Ventures stocks...instead of the pinks!...I am still hoping...& won't give up the hope!...Don't give up...work with a compromise if you can!!!

Bag Of Gold

It is a bit frustrating to say the least... I think axxell has the best compromise available; trading on the TSX with a separate platform. I'm just to weird to have things scattered about. Again, this is just me, I'm sure it will work for a lot of folks in the US who want to trade directly on the TSX. Just a double headache for me tho :) ;)

axxell33
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
It is a bit frustrating to say the least... I think axxell has the best compromise available; trading on the TSX with a separate platform. I'm just to weird to have things scattered about. Again, this is just me, I'm sure it will work for a lot of folks in the US who want to trade directly on the TSX. Just a double headache for me tho :) ;)

I traded on a half point today.. about 25k shares for a small profit. Honestly, I was sweating trying to decide what to do.. because ETrade didn't reflect the real time price (as they do for US prices).

I think IB may be the most complete package, most user friendly, and give you the most tools for being on the TSX. However, I refuse to pay their prices..

Cloud Puncher
02-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I traded on a half point today.. about 25k shares for a small profit. Honestly, I was sweating trying to decide what to do.. because ETrade didn't reflect the real time price (as they do for US prices).

I think IB may be the most complete package, most user friendly, and give you the most tools for being on the TSX. However, I refuse to pay their prices..

You beat the spread though... Certainly a step in the right direction. ;) I still don't know which way is up; honestly, I keep thinking... "should I get back on the TSX and just use the "ghost" portfolio..." I can't justify it though, given the lack of real time information and quick links all in one convenient place. I really hope you can make this work, I'd like to know how you feel about it in a month or so. Might just take some getting used to?

SmugSilverBug
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I was checking into Penntrade as well.. however, I believe they are owned by JPMorgan! =) I think something inside me would prevent me to wire money to the below address! :eek:

We just can't win for losin, huh?

Wow, thanks for the info...that would definitely prevent me from using PennTrade too. It's a shame because if ETrade would tweak their site/processes with respect to Global Trading they would have a good thing there.

axxell33
02-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Check out these guys and tell me what you think!!!

http://www.mastertrader.com/

Timet
02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Someone posted this site a while back and its helped me keep an eye on the tsx stocks I trade on the pinksheets.

http://www.level2stockquotes.com/real-time-tsx-stock-quotes.html

Definitely not a comparable to the real time streaming quotes we get from our brokers for US stocks but its better then nothing.

rothko
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi All,

Happy investing!

I havent transferred to ETrade yet after reading some of the issues with its trading interface on this thread. I think that the main advantage of ETrade is that it will allow you access to liquidity and volume ( when you want to get out fast ) and the ability to trade within the spread. As opposed to my TD account, where I need to bid about half a penny under the Bid in order to get my order filled.

If I do change to ETrade, I think I will have a service where I can monitor real time quotes and volume, and than place the bid accordingly on the Global Trade in another window.

axxell33
02-13-2011, 10:38 AM
If I do change to ETrade, I think I will have a service where I can monitor real time quotes and volume, and than place the bid accordingly on the Global Trade in another window.

Thats my plan exactly.. any suggestions on an affordable web based real time service? I'd rather not have to run a separate platform because sometimes I have to place a trade from my office computer. :cool:

BagOfGold
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Someone posted this site a while back and its helped me keep an eye on the tsx stocks I trade on the pinksheets.

Definitely not a comparable to the real time streaming quotes we get from our brokers for US stocks but its better then nothing.

Yes!...I had mentioned it awhile back...in an effort to help everyone to view the share prices...in real time!...I am glad you have put this to good use!!...:) :eek: :)

Bag Of Gold

Ouroboros
02-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I transferred my Etrade pinks to the Global side last week and I do see all the issues members have disdain about.

I took me a few days to try to get my mind around the new format(or lack thereof) and decided to transfer my whole portfolio to Google Finance. It's almost the same exact spreadsheet as the Etrade one(day's gains, total %'s, ect), except there's a 20 minute delay. Thats fine for me as most of the pennies only change a handful of times a day and I'm not daytrading.

The biggest issue as a previous poster pointed out was the lack of the 60 day order and since I have 20+ stocks that I might want to put stinks on, I'll be forced have to keep reentering after the market closes every day. Also, on the Etrade main accounts page the total balance for the global side reflects the previous business day. Yes, it can be way more fine tuned and there really shouldn't be any excusses for such an archaic platform in this day.

All in all I don't mind it too much and the access to higher volume and having them in $CAD gives a little extra edge if the US dollar falls(most here are counting on that scenario)

If anything it keeps me from the hitting refresh every 1 minute and gives me more time to walk the dog. ;)

Carssman1
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Well today was a good day indeed,

The account transfer from TD waterhouse over to Questrade has finally been completed and all my beans for my registered savings, are now under one roof.

This is great!!!! One thing that suprised me and may be tricky to identify, is that I no longer have the percentage of gains/losses from the TD account holdings. Meaning all assests moved over to Questrade are showing this mornings opening price, minus the proceeds already there with certain stocks I held in both accounts.

This may throw a PICKLE in my eventual "double, pull half off" tactic.

Either way, I can now have some more push with stocks and save serious brokerage fees now.

My goal of becoming a full time trader are quickly coming into reality.

Now all I need to do is throw half of my account down the drain and realize, I would still be more up, if I didnt start day trading at all ;)

Oh and back at the end of January, with the major run up in the PM juniors provided on BoG's penny list. I have since liquidated enough profits, that I sitting on a good chunck of dry powder, waiting to be deployed.

This is going to get fun.

Thanks guys

It was a long time coming, but my days of $29 dollar transactions with TD are over. I graciously welcome the new $9.95 trading days with arms wide open.

Until next time

axxell33
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
It was a long time coming, but my days of $29 dollar transactions with TD are over. I graciously welcome the new $9.95 trading days with arms wide open.

Are you a Canadian resident?

You lucky dog!

Etrade is making me mad.. this is the second time in a row that I saw a bottom and needed to submit an order and missed it. Both times, funds in my account were tied up due to a sale I made prior. It shows my cash balance correctly, but will not update the amount I can trade with. I missed a .155 bottom on Axmin last week and I missed a .155 bottom on NWM today. Not to mention.. I can't get real time prices. They're atleast 20 mins behind.

I'm seriously considering Interactive brokers and sucking up the prices..

someone please tell me there is another alternative?!? I'm so frustrated.. and this BS is costing me a lot of money.

BagOfGold
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM

You lucky dog!

Etrade is making me mad.. this is the second time in a row that I saw a bottom and needed to submit an order and missed it. Both times, funds in my account were tied up due to a sale I made prior. It shows my cash balance correctly, but will not update the amount I can trade with. I missed a .155 bottom on Axmin last week and I missed a .155 bottom on NWM today. Not to mention.. I can't get real time prices. They're atleast 20 mins behind.

someone please tell me there is another alternative?!? I'm so frustrated.. and this BS is costing me a lot of money.

Please use this link...& put your portfolio here...these are real time streaming quotes!!!...:eek: :) :eek:

Bag Of Gold

axxell33
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Please use this link...& put your portfolio here...these are real time streaming quotes!!!...:eek: :) :eek:

Bag Of Gold

Outstanding!

I clicked on the one above.. but it was US only. I guess I overlooked a link to the TSX. Thanks so much!!!

Carssman1
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM

You lucky dog!

Yes Canadian.

Again,, It was luck i stumbled on Questrade, it is too bad thay cant extend thier services across the border.

I really like the real time market movements. Especially the part where I can see the bids vs the Asks and volume,, gives me a good idea of what a stock will do during the run of a day. Although not perfect, it has done me wonders with my stink bids...

Goos luck and remember, I always have room in my garden shed for my fellow yanks that need to flee :D

BagOfGold
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes Canadian.

Again,, It was luck i stumbled on Questrade, it is too bad thay cant extend thier services across the border.

I really like the real time market movements. Especially the part where I can see the bids vs the Asks and volume,, gives me a good idea of what a stock will do during the run of a day. Although not perfect, it has done me wonders with my stink bids...

Goos luck and remember, I always have room in my garden shed for my fellow yanks that need to flee

I am very pleased with Questrade too!...The only way to go...commissions are only $4.95 - $9.95 on buys or sells!!!...:) :) :)

Bag Of Gold

Carssman1
02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I am very pleased with Questrade too!...The only way to go...commissions are only $4.95 - $9.95 on buys or sells!!!...:) :) :)

Bag Of Gold

I concur..

with stock trading, we have it real good now.

like i sad before

with TD, it was $29.99 for the buy.

Then $29.99 for the sale, Plus the commisions of the sale, sometimes exceeding $80.00 (depending on how many shares sold)

Thats a $139.99 for one buy and sell.

Are you kidding me!

That is a healthy day of work.

Thanks BoG you rock

BBestP
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Last week I posted about closing my HSBC acct. They told me they were going to mail a check, they FedEx'd a check w/ sig confirmation. Would have been nice if they told me thats what they would do. Missed the delivery, now I have to drive 1.5hr round trip to go get it.

1trojan
02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I've like my account at IB. Here are some trades today.

BOT 3,000 DOS Stock 0.380 CAD VENTURE 5.80
BOT 1,000 WPX Stock 1.720 CAD VENTURE 8.60

The commisions aren't too expensive IMO not as good as questtrade flat rate, but I can trade on the TSX from the US.

I bought 20000 of Atlo as well for 7.50

axxell33
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM

The commisions aren't too expensive IMO not as good as questtrade flat rate, but I can trade on the TSX from the US.

Thanks for sharing.. maybe I am misunderstanding how much they charge!

Are you buying on the cost plus plan or the flat rate?

Flat rate says .005 a share.. or max of .5%. That would be $50 on a $10k trade.

The cost plus says .008 a share for Canadian, plus exchange fee, plus clearing fee, plus transaction fee.

What am I missing here?!

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=commission

axxell33
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing.. maybe I am misunderstanding how much they charge!

Are you buying on the cost plus plan or the flat rate?

Flat rate says .005 a share.. or max of .5%. That would be $50 on a $10k trade.

The cost plus says .008 a share for Canadian, plus exchange fee, plus clearing fee, plus transaction fee.

What am I missing here?!

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=commission

90percentsilver
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I have the same questions that axxell33 has. From what 1trojan shows those are some nice prices. :cool:

rothko
02-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Thats my plan exactly.. any suggestions on an affordable web based real time service? I'd rather not have to run a separate platform because sometimes I have to place a trade from my office computer. :cool:

I checked the web a bit for free real time quotes and they vary in the cost to you. I havent posted earlier as I havent actually tried any of these-

http://www.vantagewire.com/ requires signup, email

http://quotes.freerealtime.com/dl/frt/M?SA=quotes%7CQuote&IM=quotes&symbol=TSX%2C%20TORONTO%20STOCK%20EXCHANGE%2C%20TS X%20VENTURE%2C&type=Quote&

also requires signup

www.tsx.com

www.tmx.com $19.95/mo for real time streaming quotes

http://www.wwquote.com/

I am not sure what I am going to go with as far as trading platform goes-
so far with my trading style ( buy and hold for a long time in a fundamentally sound company :D ) has made TDAmeritrade bearable even as the execution has been hit or miss and I cant day trade during the day due to my full time job.

Although if I had to choose the best option, I would probably go with Interactive Brokers. Even before I found this board traders tended to universally like the platform and the execution on IB. The 0.5% expense ( $50 ) in trading 10,000 shares is a wash considering a penny difference in execution is already $100 without any trading costs at all. Good luck finding something that works!

Cloud Puncher
02-14-2011, 10:08 PM
An ETrade "US Brokerage" interface would be absolutely ideal, if only it were available for the TSX. Of course when switched to a Global Account, you pretty much get nothing as stated in an earlier post. When I called, the guy pretty much said, "we know it sux, sorry". I asked if they had any plans to change the platform for the Global Account anytime soon; "no". Mehh... can't have it all... Although, I could have copied the portfolio to a "ghost" portfolio on the brokerage side, I didn't. Just not too comfortable having the stocks sitting HERE, and watching them from HERE. Still trying to come to terms with my decision I suppose...

/rant

1trojan
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm paying the flat rate. all of those work out to 1/2% of my trade price. Works ok for me, but I can see if you buy 10k of pennies in each shot that's expensive. IB is really cheap for non pennies. I think it's decent for the amount of pennies I buy in one order.

axxell33
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Although if I had to choose the best option, I would probably go with Interactive Brokers. Even before I found this board traders tended to universally like the platform and the execution on IB. The 0.5% expense ( $50 ) in trading 10,000 shares is a wash considering a penny difference in execution is already $100 without any trading costs at all. Good luck finding something that works!

I've tried to convince myself that it would be a wash too, but $50 is so much. I'm too thrifty minded to do it.. but I do like their outstanding platform. I called customer service to inquire about pricing and they were also very helpful. Sometimes I play the swings and once my account gets a bit larger perhaps I'll be able to make enough for it to be a wash. But I can't stand the though of 25% or 50% of profits going to the brokerage. :cool:

90percentsilver
02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I think I'm singing up with Interactive Brokers. Does anyone know how it is transferring the current account (in my case TDA) over to IB? Does it have to be done when signing up or can it be done at a later date?

SmugSilverBug
02-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I havent transferred to ETrade yet after reading some of the issues with its trading interface on this thread. I think that the main advantage of ETrade is that it will allow you access to liquidity and volume ( when you want to get out fast ) and the ability to trade within the spread. As opposed to my TD account, where I need to bid about half a penny under the Bid in order to get my order filled.

We actually took some time out and sent ETrade some suggestions/feedback about some of the Global Trading issues and they responded with an actual personal reply, not a generic response. Couldn't agree more with the advantages of ETrade compared to the pinks on TD.

At this point, we've decided to do the same; trade with ETrade using a real-time TSX quote service, although they can be quite costly. The bottom line for us at this point is the cost of the real-time TSX quote service is still a ton cheaper than paying the per trade fees that most of the trading houses charge US clients.

Maybe if enough people email ETrade with the Global Trading issues maybe they would do something about it...just a thought and some wishful thinkin' :D

SmugSilverBug
02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Goos luck and remember, I always have room in my garden shed for my fellow yanks that need to flee :D

I hope you have a really big garden shed!

axxell33
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I hope you have a really big garden shed!

ya! Me too! Because I'm bringing my chickens, ducks and rabbits. I hope you can garden cuz I'll have the meat!!!

:eek: :D

Moonstruck
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I am geting a bit miffed. That a good 1/2 of the open orders, I have on the pinks do not fill. Even though, the price / volume numbers show that they should. Orders are filling at lower prices, than my in place limit orders way to much this last week. :(

rothko
02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
ok traded a non penny stock on the pinks from TD- execution wasnt very good imo bid ask was 24.11 and 24.16 while on the tsx was trading at $23.85. ( CA ) finally got filled at $24.16 ( USA ) just a piece of data point I will put out there

90percentsilver
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I went to sign up for Interactive Brokers and it says to sign up:

Prior execution of 100 or more trades (any product).

:confused: I don't think I'll make 100 trades in 10 years. :rolleyes: All I'm looking for is someplace to trade directly on the TSX and IB seems to be the place that fits what I am looking for (eTrade seems to be 50% of the way there). Or do people ignore that and sign up regardless? ;)

inframan
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I am geting a bit miffed. That a good 1/2 of the open orders, I have on the pinks do not fill. Even though, the price / volume numbers show that they should. Orders are filling at lower prices, than my in place limit orders way to much this last week. :(

THere must have been other orders in line before yours and there wasn't enough volume to fill yours. Story of my life lately. I'm thinking of using eTrade just to buy a few low volume stocks I want. Last month I tried to buy LRA.V on the pinks a 1.15 it hit 1.14 twice and my order never filled. Its at 1.75 now :mad:

winterymix
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I was looking at an old email from TDAmeritrade and this is what they advised:

Good afternoon Mr.XXXXXX

Thank you for contacting TD AMERITRADE concerning trading Canadian traded mining companies. I can certainly provide you with information on that. Currently, IPARTY CORP COM (IPT) is restricted to closing transactions placed online only.

We allow you to trade, we are asking you to call and verify your identity and intent. Any opening trades must be placed with a broker by calling 1-888-871-9007. We will adjust the commission to the online equity rate of $9.99.

Thank you for choosing TD Ameritrade. We always look forward to providing you with the best possible trading experience.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
Apex Client Services, TD AMERITRADE
Division of TD AMERITRADE, Inc.

Not sure if you gotta have Apex standing but you get if if you make 5 trades a month.

magrah
02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Barclays (http://www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk/?usecase=publicitrader&category=publicaccounts) appear to allow more exchanges than td waterhouse and their reviews arent as horrendous either! ;)

Stang
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone
I'm brand new here and just finished reading this fantastic thread, WOW.

Has anyone in the US thought about setting up a Canadian trading company? I'm in process of setting up an LLC with a Canadian bank account and will be persuing a Questrade account as it appears to be the best set up in the forum..

Ill keep updating if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the awesome thread!:rolleyes:

DanChan
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I went to sign up for Interactive Brokers and it says to sign up:

Prior execution of 100 or more trades (any product).

:confused: I don't think I'll make 100 trades in 10 years. :rolleyes: All I'm looking for is someplace to trade directly on the TSX and IB seems to be the place that fits what I am looking for (eTrade seems to be 50% of the way there). Or do people ignore that and sign up regardless? ;)

IB is for very serious high-volume traders. If you open an account with them you'll find that you're making a huge mistake in lying on your application about your lack of experience. It could cost you the entire value of the account and have them sue you if that's not enough if you make an expensive mistake entering an order on their trading platform which is "built for speed, not for comfort" and you end up doing something you didn't expect. While TDAm will work with you, IB will just close your account if you tell them you don't know how to trade as an excuse. Try that and see what happens.

IB is for traders who do over 100 trades A YEAR for at least a few years, who know how to trade, are willing to accept the poor customer service, very unforgiving platform, and their extremely rigid rules, all in exchange for low commissions and world market access. Go over to the elitetrader message board and read all the sob stories from EXPERIENCED traders who had their positions closed out at huge losses with no notice of a margin call.

Since Etrade caters to small-time retail customers with as much trading experience as a baby, (literally!) and you think they'd give you what you want, there's no need to look any further.

But be prepared to blow up that account because the only way to learn how to trade is to lose a lot of money.

90percentsilver
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
IB is for very serious high-volume traders. If you open an account with them you'll find that you're making a huge mistake in lying on your application about your lack of experience. It could cost you the entire value of the account and have them sue you if that's not enough if you make an expensive mistake entering an order on their trading platform which is "built for speed, not for comfort" and you end up doing something you didn't expect. While TDAm will work with you, IB will just close your account if you tell them you don't know how to trade as an excuse. Try that and see what happens.

IB is for traders who do over 100 trades A YEAR for at least a few years, who know how to trade, are willing to accept the poor customer service, very unforgiving platform, and their extremely rigid rules, all in exchange for low commissions and world market access. Go over to the elitetrader message board and read all the sob stories from EXPERIENCED traders who had their positions closed out at huge losses with no notice of a margin call.

Since Etrade caters to small-time retail customers with as much trading experience as a baby, (literally!) and you think they'd give you what you want, there's no need to look any further.

But be prepared to blow up that account because the only way to learn how to trade is to lose a lot of money.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it! :)

I don't margin buy or anything like that. I do think I'd make more trades if the prices weren't so expensive. $20 TSX trades on ET (plus cost of converting AM $ to CD $) makes me think I will only be trading what is necessary--unless I do really well. ;) More than anything that's why I won't be making 100 trades a year.

But...your point is taken and I'll sign up for eTrade and just hope it gives me what I want.

rothko
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I have used Etrade and TD for many years now. When I had "butterfingers " and entered an extra zero on the price or shares traded I was usually saved by the USA's RegNMS rule ( I think) because this rule requires that buy orders are routed to the best price on any of the exchanges.

The first time you enter an extra zero in a buy or forget an extra zero in the sell is a hair raising experience. :eek: wait, it is always a hair raising experience! :eek:

GottaHaveIt
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Thought I'd add my two cents ...

I use Charles Schwab and I have been very happy with them.

Pink Sheet orders fill fast if you place a limit order at or above the current Ask price ... and their customer service is EXCELLENT. You can talk to a live person on the phone 24/7.

Their global trading desk told me that they will execute a trade directly on the Toronto exchange if they can get a better price than on the pink sheets ... but if you are in the U.S. like me you have to remember thant the Toronto exchange is in Canadian dollars which means your bid may have to be a few cents higher than the Ask price on the Pink Sheets.

GottaHaveIt
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
FYI ...

Just got this email from Charles Schwab ...

GLOBAL INVESTING
WITH A WORLD OF RESOURCES.

With an existing Schwab One® brokerage or retirement account, you can take advantage of our new online international trading capabilities, extensive resources, and professional support to sharpen your trading strategy.

Access to over 35 international markets
Trade in developed, emerging, and frontier markets.

New online trading features
Trade foreign stocks online in the U.S. over-the-counter (OTC) market1 for a low commission of $8.95 plus a $50 foreign transaction fee. Or call a Global Investing Specialist to place a trade directly on the foreign exchange.

Specialized knowledge and guidance
Get help with the complexities and challenges of investing in international markets.

Expert research
Leverage insights from Schwab, Credit Suisse, Ned Davis Research, and J.P. Morgan, on Schwab.com.
Get the details.
To learn more about international investing, including a list of countries available for online trading, visit us online or call 800-992-4685.

inframan
03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I think I have a work around without using a global account, I noticed that the pinks that require an extra $50 in Fidelity were closing through Etrade so I opened an etrade account. My original intent was to use a global account and pay the $20 fee, but it looks like it might only be a $10 fee on the pinks. The order hasn't filled yet but it says it will only cost $10 when it hits, I'll up date if/when my price objective is hit.

DanChan
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I've been with TDAm from when they were U.S. company Waterhouse Securities discount brokerage owned by Toronto Dominion Bank and commission for phone trades was $35. When the internet opened up to the masses i was a beta-tester of their WebBroker platform.

They've always treated me like gold and i've never had a bad trade. At Apex level it's $9.95 for unlimited shares. There were days with some pinks that it seemed like i was the market maker at least on one side.

The thing you gotta remember with the pinks is that it's purely OTC with the only "market maker" being your own broker putting up a "fake"
bid/ask to make it look like a regular market. That's why you can have working limit order and see fill go by at better prices than what you're offering and they get filled elsewhere. TDAm won't run some fake stops to take you out like an unscrupulous broker can do with the pinks.

They bought thinkorswim which has a great platform if you like fancy charts with pretty colors.

To me at least it's well worth the $10 commission to be able to buy 50 K shares in a day of a penny stock and usually get filled where sometimes it seems TDAm is taking the other side just to give me a fill. How many other "discount brokers" will do that? Certainly not Scottrade, which i had to use for a year because i got put on restriction for using unsettled funds in a cash account. After that "probation period" i moved eveyrthing over to Scottrade because they automatically kept tabs on settled cash and wouldn't let you violate the "free-ride" rule but after 6 months there i moved accounts back to TD and now i doubt any broker will let anyone do free-riding any more.

If you stay with TD as long as i have and don't cause them problems, they'll treat you with the respect you deserve.

BBestP
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Thought I would try and bring this thread back from the depths.

Just got off the phone with Fidelity. I am unhappy that I can't place "good till canceled" orders on foreign exchanges. The rep said it was a Fidelity policy since some exchanges don't allow it. It seems it would be easy enough to set up different order types for different exchanges. Maybe it's not, what do I know.

The rep told me that trading the pink sheets was the same as trading the actual foreign share except that I can have good till canceled orders. He said that most of the pink sheet stocks charge a penny per share. To me that's not the same as buying it directly.

I hadn't really considered this as a reason why if a stock ask is .10 and I bid .10 it sits for days, but if I would bid .105 or .11 it would fill. I guess that's how they make their penny per share. Someone correct me if I'm wrong in this thought.

My question for the US traders is, do you know of a platform that let's you trade foreign exchanges with "good till canceled" orders?

Thanks
bbp

madcow
06-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone. Another newb here.

So basically i want to trade ATV/ALVLF. I am from USA. Currently i am using Zecco but it wont let me purchase Foreign Ordinaries for some reason.

I see questrade was tossed around, but as i am from US i cant get on there :( .

I see Etrade mentioned a lot, and in BoG's thread scottrade was mentioned as well.

Is there a way for me to buy directly ATV? Or do i have to use pinks (or whatever they are called) since im not in CAD?

Any advantages/disadvantages to Etrade v Scottrade? Mostly i just need little to no min account balance as i am not rich like you all :D. I see scottrade is 500$ min and is $7.00 trade ($10 for alvlf i hear).

Etrade is 2k min to open? Or is that just for the 500$ gimick? I cant tell.

Or should i be looking at another broker? I read thru the full thread but any help at all would be great! Thanks :cool:

Ouroboros
06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone. Another newb here.

So basically i want to trade ATV/ALVLF. I am from USA. Currently i am using Zecco but it wont let me purchase Foreign Ordinaries for some reason.

I see questrade was tossed around, but as i am from US i cant get on there :( .

I see Etrade mentioned a lot, and in BoG's thread scottrade was mentioned as well.

Is there a way for me to buy directly ATV? Or do i have to use pinks (or whatever they are called) since im not in CAD?

Any advantages/disadvantages to Etrade v Scottrade? Mostly i just need little to no min account balance as i am not rich like you all :D. I see
scottrade is 500$ min and is $7.00 trade ($10 for alvlf i hear).

Etrade is 2k min to open? Or is that just for the 500$ gimick? I cant tell.

Or should i be looking at another broker? I read thru the full thread but any help at all would be great! Thanks :cool:

Switching to Etrade Global was the worst mistake I've ever made. It's a major pain as I have to call or Email them a few days after I make any sale, because there's a glitch that won't automatically settle the funds to reinvest or withdrawl. However, if you just want to buy a few stocks to get your feet wet and not trade daily or need a tightly organized realtime platform it's O.K. for that.

madcow
06-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Switching to Etrade Global was the worst mistake I've ever made. It's a major pain as I have to call or Email them a few days after I make any sale, because there's a glitch that won't automatically settle the funds to reinvest or withdrawl. However, if you just want to buy a few stocks to get your feet wet and not trade daily or need a tightly organized realtime platform it's O.K. for that.

yeah i picked that up from reading this thread that etrade global is a bit of a *****. Dunno if i wanna mess with all that :p

Silverbus
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I have a Scottrade account and own shares of several Canadian explorers on BOG's "list" along with a few others. However, I have been informed that this may not be the optimum way to invest in this sector due to lack of updates to the stock price?

After 12 pages of replies to this post it seems there is little to no conclusion about the best way to trade TSX stocks...