PDA

View Full Version : Copper Penny Removal

twindragons11
01-19-2011, 03:42 AM
When is the government going to start removing the pre-1982 pennies from circulation?

Hopefully they will do it soon, since it will become more rarer, thus increasing the price. Just like the pre-1965 silver coins

ramy98
01-19-2011, 04:08 AM
dude,why soon? Wouldnt you want to grab as much as you can before its too late?? Again, not everyone has as much as you...

I remember Silver in the teens everyone wanted it to go up and now many people want it to come back down so they can buy more!

twindragons11
01-19-2011, 04:51 AM
i have about 14 lbs of copper pennies right now.

it's true i want to get more, but i want them to start removing them now, since it will take years to remove all of them.

Greenback
01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Sometimes I feel the same way, but remember that copper is thought to go way up in the future. And as long as you can find sufficient quantities of copper pennies in circulation to justify spending the time, you are getting free money. I want that situation to go on as long as possible. But then I'm young so I have a lot of time.

Are you getting 20-25% copper like me?

Carpenter
01-19-2011, 08:05 AM

it's true i want to get more, but i want them to start removing them now, since it will take years to remove all of them.

Does anyone know if the government removed silver coinage from circulation?
They claimed in the beginning the two metals would exist side by side.

It will take me years to accumulate my goal.

Let us know when you have 14 tons.;)

twindragons11
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Sometimes I feel the same way, but remember that copper is thought to go way up in the future. And as long as you can find sufficient quantities of copper pennies in circulation to justify spending the time, you are getting free money. I want that situation to go on as long as possible. But then I'm young so I have a lot of time.

yep!!! i do get like 3-5 wheats for every 25 rolls

Junk Collector
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Even if they removed all of the copper pennies from circulation, it isn't going to raise the price of copper. If they remove them all and melt them down it might actually lower the price of copper because there will be thousands of tons of copper to flood the market. Most copper pennies by themselves wouldn't see a price increase due to "rarity" either. Millions of pennies were made each year and many are in peoples change jars. The only thing that will make your copper pennies worth more is if the price of copper itself rises due to industrial demand

Goldbrix
01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Does anyone know if the government removed silver coinage from circulation?.....

Judging by the number of retailers that offer 90% coinage, AND those of us -Blind Hogs - who still occassionally find one of the remaining "ACORNS" within the public domain I would say there was no significant move by goobermint to withdrawl those 90% silvers.

Such an action, I believe, would have started the unravaling of the silver manipulation much sooner than now.
(Since just before Thanksgiving I been given a '64 Quarter, and a '51 dime in change. The dime I just got and started a thread on just a week or so ago about.)

DYODD ( Search your coins)

coindog
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm with Carpenter, the public will pull them out over time. the govt. has no way to do it and if they try it will cost .04 each for them to do it just because they can't do anything right.

radioone
02-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Lately, I have been finding closer to 30% per box....(not sure why) averaging in the high 20's percentage wise... Last year I was seeing 20-25%.... must be more people are cashing in the pennies they have had around the house to have food to eat, pay bills etc... so the older pennies are coming out more? Just a theory....

regardless, I don't think it will be the gov't that pulls the coppers out of circulation.... it will be the folks like me that get them for the most part...

Kutzy
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I have averaged over 32% in the $1500 worth of boxes I have gone through. Its become a bit of a ritual. My wife loves going through them with me. Just sit down and watch a movie while sorting copper. Not too bad of a deal and all it cost is some time and a penny at a time.

twindragons11
02-06-2011, 07:07 PM
after you guys take remove the pre 1982 pennies, do you re-roll them back into their wrappers, or do you take them to CoinStar Machines?

i re-roll them, and it takes a long time. :(

Kutzy
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Drop them off at my bank who counts them for free and rebuy boxes

twindragons11
02-06-2011, 07:28 PM

lets say you have 25 dollars worth of pennies, but they arent in rolls, dont they have to count them one one by inorder to confirm you have the correct amount?

Kutzy
02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Banks have their own coin counter much like Coinstar. Some banks will charge you, some wont. YOu have to confirm that with your bank. I opened an accoutn with a local bank just because they offered free coin counting. I will never use that account for anything outside of dumping change into.

twindragons11
02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Banks have their own coin counter much like Coinstar. Some banks will charge you, some wont. YOu have to confirm that with your bank. I opened an accoutn with a local bank just because they offered free coin counting. I will never use that account for anything outside of dumping change into.

oh damn!! i never never that. thanks for the tip

red_xiii
02-07-2011, 01:50 AM

i've considered this, but how is it that they are not just selling you back the same (zinc) pennies?

TwoHorses
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
there was no significant move by goobermint to withdrawl those 90% silvers.

If you search, you can find tales of the Government making 1964 dated silver halves until as late as 1969. This was, ostensibly, to convince the public that silver was not being removed and hoarded. Don't think it worked.

Bruce7Trader
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
If you search, you can find tales of the Government making 1964 dated silver halves until as late as 1969. This was, ostensibly, to convince the public that silver was not being removed and hoarded. Don't think it worked.

TwoHorses good to see you around as we are looking like growing some green anteni. Do you drive car as i'm looking at buying F350 for my coin business. The 450 seems to have different drive line so looking at the F350 here and start doing the Banks for Nickels and one cents but i have a garage full on copper...

B7T:eek:

Kutzy
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
i've considered this, but how is it that they are not just selling you back the same (zinc) pennies?

Well in my town it seems that every bank uses Brinks. So having a buy bank and a drop off bank seems about pointless since they all go back to Brinks at some point anyway. I have gone through 60 or so boxes of pennies and my average number of copper has stayed pretty much the same throughout.

Squishee
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Just got a call from my bank today where I order 4-6 box a week and stack them.

They said they would not provide any more pennies since there is too much illegal melting going on :eek:

Damn ! I didnt melted mine yet^^

starting2stack
02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
i do a similar thing in uk with pre '94 1p/2p, which are 90% cu. When i'm at local shop i just ask for a bag of pennies (1)in the change. Tends to be about 28% success.

Out of curiosity, how would one melt these down? Think i have enough for a Kg bar now :)

Drill Baby Drill
02-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Quick Question, how much face value of pre 82 pennies, is equal to one pound

Agathon
02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

About 154 pennies (slightly over 3 rolls) equals one pound of copper.

red_xiii
02-11-2011, 11:04 PM

those pennies weigh 3.11 g. each, and there are 453.59237 g./lb., so that makes about 146 pennies/lb.

if you are talking about 1 lb. of pure copper, then Agathon is correct with 154 pennies.

Agathon
02-12-2011, 07:59 AM
those pennies weigh 3.11 g. each, and there are 453.59237 g./lb., so that makes about 146 pennies/lb.

if you are talking about 1 lb. of pure copper, then Agathon is correct with 154 pennies.

The pennies are 95% copper. So the copper is 1 lb per 154 pennies. The rest is worthless zinc.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html

twindragons11
02-12-2011, 07:14 PM

They said they would not provide any more pennies since there is too much illegal melting going on :eek:

go to a different bank. i usually go to banks that im not a member with.

treasureseekers1
02-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Before we stopped making silver coin,silver was a little over a dollar an ozt. Copper is around 4.50/lb now. Does anyone have a guess how high it may go?
I wonder if other comodities like copper are being suppressed like silver and gold?

Bruce7Trader
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
go to a different bank. i usually go to banks that im not a member with.

Kids had a pennies drive to have money for a school project. They sold the pennies to the Bank and now they are in my hands thanks little children. This is a perfect example of our educatio system teaching the kids nothing.

don't worry the pennies are in good hands mine....

275 dollars worth took me 30 minutes and i have no plan to sort them i'm stacking now no time for sorting...

B7T:cool:

Bag of Guns
02-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Ive been saving pennies for years, and have hands that always need to be doing something, so I sort the copper while I watch TV or youtube, or cant sleep. mostly it's a winter thing.

When I first wanted to buy pennies in bulk I had problems at the bank. I got questioned by the teller and the manager, they did not want to believe there was any good reason for me to need ten dollars in pennies. I eventualy told them I wanted to weigh down a safe and money was the best thing I could use to do that. I tried another bank, same story.

Thats when I remembered my years in retail when the store manager would send me to the bank every few days with a huge canvas sack and a list and I would buy a few hundred in coins.

if you want to buy coins and not get questioned/ turned down, go to a mall or somewhere there is many stores and a bank or 2, walk in like you belong there and ask for a variety of change. I don't get any strange looks when I buy 40/50 pounds of metal from the bank once every week or two at the mall, they think I work there. I sell the quarters I buy to my buddies that work in the city for parking. Itake the dimes and zinc pennies to the coin star for amazon monies. I save nickes as my last resort when I need cash bad I take the rolls of nickes back to my bank

starting2stack
02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
i do a similar thing in uk with pre '94 1p/2p, which are 90% cu. When i'm at local shop i just ask for a bag of pennies (1)in the change. Tends to be about 28% success.

Out of curiosity, how would one melt these down? Think i have enough for a Kg bar now :)

sorry, meant to say 97.5% copper.

still, anyone any ideas on how to safely melt them down?

Moonstruck
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
The way things are going. Soon even Zinc pennies will be worth their metal value! :eek:

Sizzilver
02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey guys!! I have been doing the same for about a month. So far collected probably 100 pounds.
When I read about your years and percentages I was dissapointed. If any of you live close enough to canada id go that route.
I get 80% pure copper from canadian rolls. We used copper until 96 so much more is out there. I dont even separate it. Just buy the 25 dollar box and keep it. Our copper is also more bullion quality. 999 i believe?
Hopefully this saves some time for someone and yes you still get the odd rare coin in canada. Probably more rare. Like 10xs rarer going by population.

Bruce7Trader
02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
The way things are going. Soon even Zinc pennies will be worth their metal value! :eek:

Yes i'm to the point now i go bank to bank and buy 25 dollar boxes and no sorting now just loading and pile the boxes. I'm thinking if i can sort the nickels and get 10,000 dollars in 1981 and older and then i'll buy 20,000 dollars of Pennies and not going to sort them at all.

twindragons11
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
i went to the bank today to get another box of pennies.

while i was at it, i asked the teller if they had any silver dollars, Morgans, or American Eagles.

she was f'ing clueless. she showed me the Sacagawea dollar and the Susan B. Anthony Dollar coin....:rolleyes:

it's a damn shame that banks hire people with low IQ's..... oh well, she will be in deep doodoo during the coming crash.:p

Bruce7Trader
02-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Thats normal to go into a bank and find that no one knows anything about banking. Since i have been working my city on the nickel side i believe i have done damage to the local Nickel market and now i start to move hard into the pennies. On th enickel side i have done the city several times buying just over 7,000 dollars so far in Nickels and i have been returning the sorted ones each day. Been doing this for about 6 weeks hard now. I return on average 120 dollars of sorted now a day thats 7 days a week as banks are open sundays now so i can hit some of the TD banks on Sunday. so i'm going through large amounts. Bringing me to the pennies i don't sort anymore i just buy the boxes. Not sure how long this will last till i get a flag from a bank or something happen. They took my ID at a few banks but mostly they just find it funny who would want those pennies they think i'm out of my mind.

silverbulletgoldcross
02-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Oh wow you mean these people don't know everything about everything unlike we kitcoites! Those plebeian imbeciles! Lolololol! Soon my friends only we kitcoites will take over the world. It is just a matter of time because we know what a copper penny is and spend t housands hoarding nickels instead of putting that money into silver and gold. Soon ourtime will be now mwahahahaha and then the world will know thepower!!!!!

Signed silver ulletgoldcrss (cuz I think urntoo stoopid to look up a few inches and see who signed it but I'm s smart and know everything!!!!)

twindragons11
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Thats normal to go into a bank and find that no one knows anything about banking. Since i have been working my city on the nickel side i believe i have done damage to the local Nickel market and now i start to move hard into the pennies. On th enickel side i have done the city several times buying just over 7,000 dollars so far in Nickels and i have been returning the sorted ones each day. Been doing this for about 6 weeks hard now. I return on average 120 dollars of sorted now a day thats 7 days a week as banks are open sundays now so i can hit some of the TD banks on Sunday. so i'm going through large amounts. Bringing me to the pennies i don't sort anymore i just buy the boxes. Not sure how long this will last till i get a flag from a bank or something happen. They took my ID at a few banks but mostly they just find it funny who would want those pennies they think i'm out of my mind.

damn dude, are you retired???

Bruce7Trader
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Between trading my IMG and sorting i don't have much time. I need to make a business out of this was thinking if the provincial government would allow me to hire some contract workers for sorting and dong pickups and drops. So much to do and little time to get this done.

If i keep making this kind of money i will need to buy storage maybe a condo but if i pile the boxes around the bearing walls i should be ok in my currunt unit. I don't know how much weight this condo can handle.

Back to sorting.

starting2stack
02-25-2011, 03:29 AM
sorry, meant to say 97.5% copper.

still, anyone any ideas on how to safely melt them down?

Ah, figured it out meself, i now own a 97.5% copper blob :D now, if i can work out a way to refine it chemically.....

solv925
02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Ah, figured it out meself, i now own a 97.5% copper blob :D now, if i can work out a way to refine it chemically.....

careful with those blobs!I once saw a movie where a blob devoured humans...I also witnessed the birth of many flaming blobs when i poured a big blob into a wet mould!

highroller4321
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM

With wear and tear on the coins and everything the average is $1.47 in copper pennies to = 1 pound.

highroller4321
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
To get back on topic......

No, the U.S will never create a program to recover the copper pennies. Frankly out government isn't smart enough to do it.

Canada has the ARP (allow recovery program) in effect and is making millions. They started pulled out the nickel nickels and cupro nickels and replacing them with steel. They than went on pulling the silver they could find and cupro nickels from the dimes, quarters, halves and replacing them with steel. This year they started with the loonie and the toonie. They have "legislation" in place that will probably go into effect this year that will start a program to get rid of the penny.

If the U.S was smart they would be doing the same thing....

chuckno
03-09-2011, 04:11 AM

Actually if you had all the copper as a liquid, it is close to .99 pure as zinc boils out of copper. Which is why you should do it outside. Zinc gas is bad for lungs. US copper pennies are made from .999 pure copper and a little zinc.
The reason for zinc may actually have to do with the fact that way back in time is government got a good deal on copper contaminated with zinc. As before 1917 (I think) they were copper and tin.
What Interesting to me is the weight. a troy ounce is 31 grams.
One pre 1982 cent is 3.1 grams which is why I consider copper to be a PM.
Could be co-incidence, but I don't think so.

Prospector
03-09-2011, 08:14 AM
One hundred million pennies

http://acidcow.com/pics/13494-one-hundred-million-pennies-23-pics.html