PDA

View Full Version : Charting - do members want charting?

SuperMod
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Charting - do members what more charts
In order to improve the discussion of investing in PMs or general stock investing I would like to know if members feel that we should make changes in the forum software set up to make it easier to add and view charts for those members who are interested in charting.

treasureseekers1
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I would most difinitly like to see charts and comments on them with explainations from someone that knows how to read them.

Castillb2010
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
That would be great!

treasureseekers1
12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
In order to improve the discussion of investing in PMs or general stock investing I would like to know if members feel that we should make changes in the forum software set up to make it easier to add and view charts for those members who are interested in charting.

SuperMod,how would you set that up? Any ideas?

SuperMod
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I will need to look into the software issues but I believe that there are limits for images that need to be changed in the set up of the forum software. I will work on finding out more if it is worth the effort for our members. That is the reason for the poll and for this thread. I could do with some instruction on charting myself and why not benefit from the experience of our own members on this forum?

treasureseekers1
12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I will need to look into the software issues but I believe that there are limits for images that need to be changed in the set up of the forum software. I will work on finding out more if it is worth the effort for our members. That is the reason for the poll and for this thread. I could do with some instruction on charting myself and why not benefit from the experience of our own members on this forum?

I think the infornation would be priceless. Would there be any cost to upgrade?

treasureseekers1
12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
We could go as far as having live video streaming and invite guest to appear and discuss different topics. I'm sure we could get so heavy hitters on here.

Moonstruck
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Charts can be usefull. As long as people remember, that it is only one of many tools that can be used to gamble in the markets.

SuperMod
12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
At this time it might just be some changes to the present software but upgrading the forum isn't expensive. I have been requesting it for some time now.

Got Goldies
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I learned the charting 7 years ago from member who used to be here... It has really helped me make cash. The board has some sort of anti Charting following, because apparently there is more people that say its just chicken bones.

Supermod I hope you are successful in clearing a path for these types of discussions.

There comes a point in time that you can make a chart because you want to buy low.

Easy to spot.

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Are you speaking of adding the ability to view live charts and edit same? In other words adding some charting functionality to Kitco? I'm thinking that is what you're referring to since we currently can add images, of charts already made, to posts.

It would be a big plus to Kitco customers and to the members of the forum to be able to view and edit live charts.

golditiki
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
I learned the charting 7 years ago from member who used to be here... It has really helped me make cash. The board has some sort of anti Charting following, because apparently there is more people that say its just chicken bones.

Supermod I hope you are successful in clearing a path for these types of discussions.

There comes a point in time that you can make a chart because you want to buy low.

Easy to spot.

Not entirely true.
People CERTAINLY want to listen if the charts are like the chart and comparison ( proof by analogy ) you recently presented.
Moreover the the Aladin oillamp presented it well.

Before, AUBULL ( whose absence I deeply regret ) was able to produce charts and make interesting comparisons of gold compared with some other important financial items when asked.

I appreciate the utility of charts only when i can see the evolution of a basic ( gold or silver) chart over time and compare its behaviour with the evolution of charts of the best performers of other important financial families.

I think that if you regularly ( say once ore twice a month ) perform such a comparative outlay, that would certainly help everybody to look into the future with better knowledge, though in these rotten times the gods of the C-banks are intervening a bit too much to be certain about whatsoever.

Golditiki +++

Krank
12-28-2010, 11:54 AM

As a chartist and ex I.T. person I'm not sure making software changes is possible or even necessary. It isn't difficult now to post charts and I expect that viewers either don't understand them or already know how to interpret them and quite capable of doing so on their own on various web sights designed for the purpose. Also, there are dozens and dozens of different oscillators and types of charts possible and I'd be surprised if many are familar with all of them, so what's good for one person may be greek to another, which is why I seldom post them. Below is an example of the types of things I look at in a chart. They include relative strength indicator, price chart in candlesticks including daily moving average, 50 day moving average, 200 day moving average, bollinger bands and it's quite easy to see the trend and channel in this six month chart (and this one forming an ascending triangle which told old Krank that POG was close to another upward move, hence my $1425.20 guess in this weeks POG contest).
I also depend on the MacD and slow stochastic charts to show me direction indicators and timing. This is old school analysis and I suppose most chartists are now into Fibonacci numbers which I can't calculate, but can certainly understand when someone explains it.

As for recommendations, perhaps a home page link directly to a place like the SharpCharts Workbench @ Stockcharts.com. To me the problem with charts isn't the posting of them, it's the overall process of going elsewhere to a charting site, selecting the various data iitems you want displayed and/or calculated, then generating the charts, then selecting the chart and saving to my own harddrive, then logging into a place like photobucket and uploading it, then grabbing the IMG link and pasting it on here. Any way of shortening that process would be helpful. I've always felt it's too bad Stockcharts wouldn't let us just to copy it's url after the chart was produced so we could simply post that here and allow readers to go directly to the link to see the original chart. Unfortunately they don't, at least not in the ForFree section. Perhaps other places do allow this? Does anyone know? Hey, maybe kitco can get us a group subscription rate . . . lol.

Anyway that's my 2 cents . . . guess I'm rambling.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/krank47/gold-1.png

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
To me the problem with charts isn't the posting of them, it's the overall process of going elsewhere to a charting site, selecting the various data iitems you want displayed and/or calculated, then generating the charts, then selecting the chart and saving to my own harddrive, then logging into a place like photobucket and uploading it, then grabbing the IMG link and pasting it on here. Any way of shortening that process would be helpful.

https://www.kitcomm.com/images/icons/icon14.gif Great points Krank.

So do I have this correctly? It's not so much that we need to be able to post chart images, since you point out we already can do so, but it would be great if Kitco.com had a streaming live chart page, maybe Java based, similar to goldprice.org/live-gold-price.html which would allow for easy on site access to build a market view using charts with loads of indicators? And be able to embed the URL right into your post so the locally created chart can be seen by other members?

To be able to see charts such ash the one you created and included above is incredibly useful.

I hope Kitco will provide this. And if that is an example of your work, it is very likely that many members would appreciate seeing much more of it.

Thanks.

treasureseekers1
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
The ideas are good,but I still think the educational and instruction on how to read and understand charts should be priorty. Like most on here we can find charting,but getting a clear understanding is very difficult.

To me I find reading a chart is like looking into the night sky and trying to connect the stars to the ,Belt of Orion. I just can't see it.

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
The ideas are good,but I still think the educational and instruction on how to read and understand charts should be priorty. Like most on here we can find charting,but getting a clear understanding is very difficult.

To me I find reading a chart is like looking into the night sky and trying to connect the stars to the ,Belt of Orion. I just can't see it.

Good points.. Agree with that!

It seems that both are highly useful. Resources (threads, links, articles, etc) to learn and improve on ones charting and chart reading abilities... and the functionality to create and show same.

Having the functionality on site would allow someone like Krank (and many other chartist) to post charts not only for use in market analysis but also for use as a teaching/learning tool.

Krank
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
https://www.kitcomm.com/images/icons/icon14.gif Great points Krank.

So do I have this correctly? It's not so much that we need to be able to post chart images, since you point out we already can do so, but it would be great if Kitco.com had a streaming live chart page, maybe Java based, similar to goldprice.org/live-gold-price.html which would allow for easy on site access to build a market view using charts with loads of indicators? And be able to embed the URL right into your post so the locally created chart can be seen by other members?
To be able to see charts such ash the one you created and included above is incredibly useful.

I hope Kitco will provide this. And if that is an example of your work, it is very likely that many members would appreciate seeing much more of it.

Thanks.

Well, yes and no. When it comes to gold and silver charts, I honestly only use them on Sundays to calculate my POG/POS guesses for the weeks contests. I don't need to see these charts again since I'm not doing anything with gold or silver that I'd need to see them, so I don't need streaming charts nor am I a daytrader who needs to watch streaming charts of any kind. I just refer to kitco's spot prices numerous times a day to see how POG/POS is doing.

However, when it comes to stocks of various explorers or miners, I use charts all day long, day after day, including weekends, but they don't need to be streaming either, but preferably live. I usually use either stockcharts, GlobeInvestorGold or FreeStockCharts.com because I base all of my buying and selling on T.A. Numerous times over the years I've suggested a stock was going to do this or that and I've usually said why I felt that way. Stating it was simply easier and quicker than posting a picture of the chart, which was how I came to the conclusion in the first place. If that process could be made easier, I'd probably start posting more charts and less verbage. . . of course that wouldn't necessarily mean any more improvement in accuracy. . lol.

treasureseekers1
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, yes and no. When it comes to gold and silver charts, I honestly only use them on Sundays to calculate my POG/POS guesses for the weeks contests. I don't need to see these charts again since I'm not doing anything with gold or silver that I'd need to see them, so I don't need streaming charts nor am I a daytrader who needs to watch streaming charts of any kind. I just refer to kitco's spot prices numerous times a day to see how POG/POS is doing.

However, when it comes to stocks of various explorers or miners, I use charts all day long, day after day, including weekends, but they don't need to be streaming either, but preferably live. I usually use either stockcharts, GlobeInvestorGold or FreeStockCharts.com because I base all of my buying and selling on T.A. Numerous times over the years I've suggested a stock was going to do this or that and I've usually said why I felt that way. Stating it was simply easier and quicker than posting a picture of the chart, which was how I came to the conclusion in the first place. If that process could be made easier, I'd probably start posting more charts and less verbage. . . of course that wouldn't necessarily mean any more improvement in accuracy. . lol.

Along with charting,have turtorials so we can understand the practicle uses and benefits. Have discissions,Q and A,etc. A calculator would be benefical too. Used for calculating face value to $, calculate scrape ag and au. .925,10k,14k etc.

Krank
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Good points.. Agree with that!

It seems that both are highly useful. Resources (threads, links, articles, etc) to learn and improve on ones charting and chart reading abilities... and the functionality to create and show same.

Having the functionality on site would allow someone like Krank (and many other chartist) to post charts not only for use in market analysis but also for use as a teaching/learning tool.

Learning how to use most oscillators and charting indicators is a snap. I'll give you an example. Scan to the bottom of this page, to the MacD indicator and just take a quick look . . .
http://www.kitco.com/reports/template_jimw.htm. Now scan down thru this explanation . . . (just briefly) http://www.kitco.com/reports/MACDindicator.htm

It may look and sound a little difficult, but it isn't. You can all drive a car, but do you need to be a mechanic? No! As long as the battery keep batting, the carburator keeps carbing and the pistons keep . . . er . . . working, it aint broke. Same with T.A. Now before you flip back to the first link there, listen to how Krank interprets the macd.

Basically, when the blue line crosses 'up' over the red line, the stock is going up. When the blue line crosses down across the red line, the stock is going down. . . and that is how to read the Macd . . . who cares how or why it works as long as the pistons keep . . . ah . . . working. Easy eh . . . and know you all know how to read one of the best oscillators there is. It is my favourite.

treasureseekers1
12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Learning how to use most oscillators and charting indicators is a snap. I'll give you an example. Scan to the bottom of this page, to the MacD indicator and just take a quick look . . .
http://www.kitco.com/reports/template_jimw.htm. Now scan down thru this explanation . . . (just briefly) http://www.kitco.com/reports/MACDindicator.htm

It may look and sound a little difficult, but it isn't. You can all drive a car, but do you need to be a mechanic? No! As long as the battery keep batting, the carburator keeps carbing and the pistons keep . . . er . . . working, it aint broke. Same with T.A. Now before you flip back to the first link there, listen to how Krank interprets the macd.

Basically, when the blue line crosses 'up' over the red line, the stock is going up. When the blue line crosses down across the red line, the stock is going down. . . and that is how to read the Macd . . . who cares how or why it works as long as the pistons keep . . . ah . . . working. Easy eh . . . and know you all know how to read one of the best oscillators there is. It is my favourite.

That's good stuff.
To find support and resistance how does one calculate that? Is it done by moving avgs over a period of time? Give me a calculation using a 50 day moving avg.

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm sure many of us would benefit from both your verbiage and charts!

Good points as to what may be needed. Agree that the streaming part could easily be left off if it was the difference between Kitco acquiring the technology or not.

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM

I gotta run but will be back latter and looking forward to checking this out.

Many thanks.

Krank
12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
That's good stuff.
To find support and resistance how does one calculate that? Is it done by moving avgs over a period of time? Give me a calculation using a 50 day moving avg.

Find a chart with stock price and 50DMA. Don't worry about how or why it works, just how to use it.

If stock is trading below 50DMA it'll find resistence at 50DMA and most probably start moving back down. A stock trading above 50DMA will usually find support at 50DMA and start moving back up. Use it in conjunction with Macd which indicates direction. Don't panic or celebrate if 50DMA is crossed one way or the other midday. It's where it closes the days trading that matters. The same applies to 100, 200 and all moving averages. Once crossed the odds are, that moving average will become the new resistence or support. IE $25 stock rises up to $26 50dma, crosses it and stays above it at the close. Chances are that 50dma that was resistence yesterday, will now become support. Clear as mud eh?

ynot2k
12-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Very cool info in the chart linked to, the JW detailed stuff, and the Krank 10 second winning description.

Gotta say that I like the fact the MACD appears to be crossing up and over the signal line with today's price action. I'm not planning on selling any physical, and have slowed down pool buys and sells, cause the current spread makes it more risky to sell, so I'm always happy to see the shiny metals go north.

hmmm, Pistons .... doing what pistons do.. uh huh. very good! :D

:)

JROCPW
12-29-2010, 12:15 AM
You can verbiage all day long Krank-that is some good stuff. :D

Medina
01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Charting is important for trading.

I do it myself, but witouth to much indicators, I am a noob, and need to learn more.

OddVaark
01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I would most difinitly like to see charts and comments on them with explainations from someone that knows how to read them.

I agree that it would be nice to have this here also.

chartsrgood
01-27-2011, 03:19 AM
At this time it might just be some changes to the present software but upgrading the forum isn't expensive. I have been requesting it for some time now.

Any progress?

rjcjid
01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
I find charts very useful in making my decisions

CarRide
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Definitely + charts.

clawfull
08-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Charting is important for trading.

I do it myself, but witouth to much indicators, I am a noob, and need to learn more.

You maybe a noob but you're off to a good start with few indicators. You will learn to ditch those indicators altogether. I just hope you don't learn the hard way, like most of us do ;)

chartsrgood
09-23-2011, 07:24 PM

any closer?
thank you