PDA

View Full Version : US Miner questions

Bassplayer
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Which miners operate mostly in the US? I know and hold a good position with HL but looking to invest a bit more into the US miners.

thanks

Scottj88
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
US Silver -- USSIF
Revett - RVMID (recently consolidated and put on amex)

Two good ones to start looking at

DYODD

Jayhawk
11-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Allied Nevada-ANV

Arcturus
11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Which miners operate mostly in the US? I know and hold a good position with HL but looking to invest a bit more into the US miners.

thanks

Rye Patch - RPMGF or RPM nice drill results in Nevada

http://www.ryepatchgold.com/s/Home.asp

BOiPiNOi604
03-05-2011, 04:55 PM
US Silver -- USSIF
Revett - RVMID (recently consolidated and put on amex)

Two good ones to start looking at

DYODD

USSIF
Is it me or is this stock cheap?
currently producing 2.2moz and it's at $.73cdn
why?

ChainSawDave
03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
USSIF
Is it me or is this stock cheap?
currently producing 2.8moz and it's at $.73cdn
why?

GREAT question you posted. I'm going to look into it myself. Hopefullly some whose math skills are better than mine will check the numbers as well.

Miners and math are almost synonomous. We gotta KNOW the numbers.

dcs5150
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
GREAT question you posted. I'm going to look into it myself. Hopefullly some whose math skills are better than mine will check the numbers as well.

I agree, the math is a pain in the neck. Even after all the pain of running through a balance sheet, calculating projected production income, taxes, any hedging derivatives, production costs including labor and energy, and assigning an expected earnings per share and future P/E; you still have to worry about them environmental and political creatures lurking in the shadows. Then you have to worry about what risk premium you are going to factor in, which is up to you to quanify, to see if you are getting a good deal on the stock purchase at the present time. Let alone worrying about exploration costs being a roll of the dice. It is all of these factors, and many more not mentioned here, that makes it tough for the large investment firms to decide to jump in after a nice run up like we've had recently, even after the spot price of gold and silver rising tremendously this past month. Will Wong was and still is on the right track in starting his thread on the miners last fall. Here's a virtual beer and a thumbs up to you, Will.

BOiPiNOi604
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM

sorry my statement is off a little.. 2.2moz silver production as of end of 2010

BOiPiNOi604
03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree, the math is a pain in the neck. Even after all the pain of running through a balance sheet, calculating projected production income, taxes, any hedging derivatives, production costs including labor and energy, and assigning an expected earnings per share and future P/E; you still have to worry about them environmental and political creatures lurking in the shadows. Then you have to worry about what risk premium you are going to factor in, which is up to you to quanify, to see if you are getting a good deal on the stock purchase at the present time. Let alone worrying about exploration costs being a roll of the dice. It is all of these factors, and many more not mentioned here, that makes it tough for the large investment firms to decide to jump in after a nice run up like we've had recently, even after the spot price of gold and silver rising tremendously this past month. Will Wong was and still is on the right track in starting his thread on the miners last fall. Here's a virtual beer and a thumbs up to you, Will.

Is there a book on running those numbers? I wouldn't mind reading all about it.

dcs5150
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Is there a book on running those numbers? I wouldn't mind reading all about it.

I haven't read any, although if one has the experience, it would be a great idea for writing a book on. Hmmm...For HL, I went through all the transcripts from earnings releases and conference calls for Q4 2009 - Q3 2010 and calculated approx. .12 cents per share income, but it was a real headache because you had to factor in the average price of zinc and lead, since HL was hedging these two metals for future producton in order to fund other developments in cash. I had to figure out how much they were probably going to lose due to these contracts and figure in the average price of silver, gold, lead and zinc, all of which has different contract denominations.
For instance, lead and zinc on the LME are sold in contacts denominated in lot sizes of 25 tonnes apiece. HL's transcripts provided the amount of lead and zinc denominated in $ per pound. You would have to have made all the necessary conversions in order to come up with the right numbers. All in all, it didn't amount to much, since the remaining product that was not provisioned for hedging turned out to be sold at great prices. That was just one line on the balance sheet, however.
I could go into others things, but would be writing a book.

BOiPiNOi604
03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I haven't read any, although if one has the experience, it would be a great idea for writing a book on. Hmmm...For HL, I went through all the transcripts from earnings releases and conference calls for Q4 2009 - Q3 2010 and calculated approx. .12 cents per share income, but it was a real headache because you had to factor in the average price of zinc and lead, since HL was hedging these two metals for future producton in order to fund other developments in cash. I had to figure out how much they were probably going to lose due to these contracts and figure in the average price of silver, gold, lead and zinc, all of which has different contract denominations.
For instance, lead and zinc on the LME are sold in contacts denominated in lot sizes of 25 tonnes apiece. HL's transcripts provided the amount of lead and zinc denominated in $ per pound. You would have to have made all the necessary conversions in order to come up with the right numbers. All in all, it didn't amount to much, since the remaining product that was not provisioned for hedging turned out to be sold at great prices. That was just one line on the balance sheet, however.
I could go into others things, but would be writing a book.

Now that's doing your homework

dcs5150
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Now that's doing your homework

Yeah, but it still wasn't enough. When you think you got the thing nailed, along comes a news headline slapping you in the face, saying HL has postponed it's earnings due to CERCLA litigations, making you wait only to then learn they posted a 5 cent loss per share due to this. It would make a great chapter in some investor's new book on how you can get punked. All that said, I'm still bullish on the miners. 100% committed.

BOiPiNOi604
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, but it still wasn't enough. When you think you got the thing nailed, along comes a news headline slapping you in the face, saying HL has postponed it's earnings due to CERCLA litigations, making you wait only to then learn they posted a 5 cent loss per share due to this. It would make a great chapter in some investor's new book on how you can get punked. All that said, I'm still bullish on the miners. 100% committed.

I'm bullish as well, just recently got into the whole stock business a week ago and I want to expose myself to some silver play. Just looking for those miners with good management; the ones that agressively progressing for future sustainability. IMO, silver will be the investment of the decade and if I can grab some JRs at the moment that can manage sustainability then I'll be a happy camper. Of course, easily said than done..