PDA

View Full Version : copper????

midasmike
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
am thinking of buying some copper bars. seems like the best i can do is 2 to 3 times spot. is this a reasonable price? thanks in advance, michael.

midasmike
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
am thinking of buying some copper bars. seems like the best i can do is 2 to 3 times spot. is this a reasonable price? thanks in advance, michael.

Sabremesh
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
You trolling my friend?

If you buy copper, you need to buy it in industrial quantities to make any money. By which I mean, tonnes. And then you'd need to store it somewhere.

Unlike gold, when it comes to investing in copper, you DON'T want physical.

Bassplayer
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I was thinking about buying 100 or so of the copper rounds and a few kilo bars for novelty purposes.

Has anyone bought these - how do they look?

CheeseBurgerPicnic
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Don't do it

paying around spot is what you should pay which is 3.80 a pound at the moment. Just go to your bank and ask for a box of penny's then sort out the copper ones(then return the zinc, grab a new box). In canada is 96 and under, not sure about the US but i think its 82.

I know that big cheap bullion bar probably looks nice and shiny but as an investment it could take a very very long time for you to turn a profit on that one.

HighInBC
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Just roll search for old pennies.

MyBids
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
midasmike,

There's another thread going that will answer some of your questions.

I've bought some neat rounds and will be more.

999FINE
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Don't do it

paying around spot is what you should pay which is 3.80 a pound at the moment. Just go to your bank and ask for a box of penny's then sort out the copper ones(then return the zinc, grab a new box). In canada is 96 and under, not sure about the US but i think its 82.

I know that big cheap bullion bar probably looks nice and shiny but as an investment it could take a very very long time for you to turn a profit on that one.

Listen to CheeseBurgerPicnic, and check out the threads, Just boutght a Penny Sorter, and Purchased a 1kg Copper Bullion BAR!!
they are littered with copper bullion stacking knowledge!!!

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=69297

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=69475

:cool: :cool: :cool:

CheeseBurgerPicnic
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
even the zinc pennies in the states are trading at 58% of the metal value right now so pretty much if you go to the bank, get some boxes of pennies and dont even sort them keeping the whole box you'd still be getting a better deal on your metal then paying 3x times spot for copper bars

plus your investment is more diversified, copper-zinc- and numastic (if you wait 50-100 years depend on the coin) HA! If you insist on base metals, get the pennies

97guns
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
ive been sorting pennies, gone through 6 or 7 boxes so far. its kind of addicting but im going for nickels more. im leaving for more boxes in a little bit here, probably gonna hit up 5 or 6 banks and swap another 1K of paper FRN's for some copper.

999FINE
11-22-2010, 12:21 PM

As copper becomes a more attractive investment vehicle, bullions bars will become mass produced and the premiums will go way down to respectable percentages. You could possibly sell your Bar for around what you got for it, because copper 999 fine bullion bars are simply not as common as PM's. So if you must get it, sell it, before the bars are mass produced, if were still alive then...

i have one
dont really regret it since it was only like $20.
But i will never buy another, just sticking with the pre 1982 pennies

999FINE
11-22-2010, 12:21 PM
... probably gonna hit up 5 or 6 banks and swap another 1K of paper FRN's for some copper...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ChrisDS
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I like copper, it's a pretty cool metal, but I wouldn't touch bullions with a ten foot pole... however I do keep the copper pennies I find.

midasmike
11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks for all the replies. just thought i'd get a jump on any future run up but it looks like i'm a little premature.
think i'll get a few bars because there nice looking and a novelty.

97guns
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

i just got back, took a box of zincers to coinstar and got a $23 lowes card. i guess ill be xmas shopping at lowes a little bit this year.

i hit up 4 banks and pulled down 7 boxes of nickels and 3 boxes of pennies. this might be my new exercise routine.

999FINE
11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
i just got back, took a box of zincers to coinstar and got a $23 lowes card. i guess ill be xmas shopping at lowes a little bit this year.

i hit up 4 banks and pulled down 7 boxes of nickels and 3 boxes of pennies. this might be my new exercise routine.

I haven't bought any nickels yet, just hoard all of the ones i come in contact with, isnt a box $50. I feel im trying to snatch up all of the pre 1982's i can before they are gone, nickels will be around far after pre 82s are dried up, if they stop circulating the nickel ones, i may have to sort through them as i do now, but i will. The pre 82's have a way better return. I really dont feel like going to get any now, but im on my way to get some now...Its addicting..and slightly embarrassing

97guns
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
nickel boxes are $100 and pennies are $25. i like pennies better too but the easy stacking of the nickel is making my decision easy.

Copperhead
11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
nickel boxes are $100 and pennies are $25. i like pennies better too but the easy stacking of the nickel is making my decision easy.

Who has the time to sort through hundreds of dollars of pennies? Even by use of a Ryedale sorting machine the time, not to mention the money for the machine, makes it impractical.

97guns
11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
im retired so ive got nothing but time on my hands, its nothing i plan to make a career of though. im just goning to fill another couple boxes of copper pennies and call it a day. i hang out on realcent.org and some of those penny horders are pretty crazy, ive seen one guys stash of 4 55 gallon drums filled and some other guy's with 40K in nickels. 10K in nickels is not out of the norm over there.

Greenback
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I've checked out realcent, some real characters over there. They are ahead of the curve IMO. I don't have the time to get into it as deep as some of them, but an enertaining little forum to read to be sure.

ccjoe
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
You trolling my friend?

If you buy copper, you need to buy it in industrial quantities to make any money. By which I mean, tonnes. And then you'd need to store it somewhere.

Just the opposite.
I'm in the process of buying tons right NOW. Storage is NO problem at all.

Since I bought my first bunch yesterday, cu is up 5%.
There's NOT a huge retail market NOW, but there wasn't for silver or gold either.
You have to think like Gerald Celente> Trends Research into the future NOT just the past.
The world is changing very quickly and as I'm typing they are mentioning over and over how copper is exploding with the supply and demand problem and the China bull> on Bloomberg> first time I've heard so much talk about cu.

yellowsnow
12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
is there a good copper ETF to buy? is it paper backed like slv and gld?

ccjoe
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
is there a good copper ETF to buy? is it paper backed like slv and gld?

I like physical even though you can, and I do, play the commodities futures market.
My wire just went through on my first shipment and I might go with a full 3K Kilos IF si goes up all week.
If not and si dips, then at least get 2K Kilos and the rest silver and then just sit on it for a few years and wake up wealthy.

Tommybee
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Copperhead - you can buy a Ryedale, use it for a year to get your copper and then resell it. I've seen them used for $350. I think new they are $500. If I come across another used one I may buy it. The only issue is returning the Zinc. I do what 97guns does...I use the Coinstar and choose an Amazon card. However, it still takes time to run all of those Zincolns thru that machine. I can't imagine how long I'd be there if I was using a Ryedale...:D

yellowsnow
12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I like physical even though you can, and I do, play the commodities futures market.
My wire just went through on my first shipment and I might go with a full 3K Kilos IF si goes up all week.
If not and si dips, then at least get 2K Kilos and the rest silver and then just sit on it for a few years and wake up wealthy.wow, wont shipping cost of 2k-3kilo of Cu be expensive? you're lucky to have space to store them. The physical Cu i have is 100 rolls of 1979 BU pennies:) I think they're 98% Cu.

ccjoe
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
wow, wont shipping cost of 2k-3kilo of Cu be expensive? you're lucky to have space to store them. The physical Cu i have is 100 rolls of 1979 BU pennies:) I think they're 98% Cu.

Not as much as you would think.
Now if I had to move the whole lot at one time.................:(

ccjoe
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I finalized my order for 3750 kilos at around 48500 and 1100 for shipping.
All .999 kilo bars> different decorative designs on them.

Copperhead
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Cc, do you plan on holding or are you going to flip them for a quick profit?

Copperhead
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Why not instead buy a pure copper product such as copper pipe or uncoated
copper wire instead of paying a high premium for a copper bar that would still have to be remelted to be consumed?

ccjoe
12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Cc, do you plan on holding or are you going to flip them for a quick profit?

Can't flip like most of us flip silver.
At least a year out before copper hits the moonshot to make it worth the pain in the butt to flip.
I can't wait to get my first bars in tomorrow or Tues as the first 500 keys are usps and the rest freighted to my site.

ccjoe
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Why not instead buy a pure copper product such as copper pipe or uncoated
copper wire instead of paying a high premium for a copper bar that would still have to be remelted to be consumed?
Good question as I could have gone that route and was offered that by my dealer.
BUT--- I think retail will be BIG with copper and the masses within a year or 2 so DON'T buy looking for quick money is my advice.

DougG
12-08-2010, 04:29 AM
As copper becomes a more attractive investment vehicle, bullions bars will become mass produced and the premiums will go way down to respectable percentages. You could possibly sell your Bar for around what you got for it, because copper 999 fine bullion bars are simply not as common as PM's. So if you must get it, sell it, before the bars are mass produced, if were still alive then...

i have one
dont really regret it since it was only like $20.
But i will never buy another, just sticking with the pre 1982 pennies

So how do you trade the weight in for cash? do you melt them down and make bars? who would buy your pennies for what they are worth in weight? A scrapper?

Greenback
12-08-2010, 06:37 AM
So how do you trade the weight in for cash? do you melt them down and make bars? who would buy your pennies for what they are worth in weight? A scrapper?

Individuals who want to diversify in copper will buy the copper pennies, once you can't find any in circulation. Just like 90% silver is bought and sold today, only I think copper pennies will be sold by the pound.

ccjoe
12-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm lazy so I like the beautiful, decorative, kilo bullion bars and think they will be the most resaleable within a year if not sooner.

999FINE
12-08-2010, 09:11 AM
If i could sell my pre 82s for copper prices i would have enough to get about 3 ozt Silver...

refrep
12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
even the zinc pennies in the states are trading at 58% of the metal value right now so pretty much if you go to the bank, get some boxes of pennies and dont even sort them keeping the whole box you'd still be getting a better deal on your metal then paying 3x times spot for copper bars

plus your investment is more diversified, copper-zinc- and numastic (if you wait 50-100 years depend on the coin) HA! If you insist on base metals, get the pennies

interesting. :D

ccjoe
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
interesting. :D

I'm so glad I wasn't that stupid person paying 3Xspot for copper bullion bars.
I paid 13 kilo for my .999 copper bars> 48% over spot> the cheapest in the country.
Retail is 3Xspot. That is EXACTLY why I invested 50 grand in copper.
FYI copper is the only metal up today, but I am waiting for 26 to buy some more of my beloved silver.http://www.barchart.com/commodityfutures/Metals

ccjoe
12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Just checked on line and now the kilos are 14.10!
I made 5K and haven't received the big order yet!

Copperhead
12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Just checked on line and now the kilos are 14.10!
I made 5K and haven't received the big order yet!

That's not a realized profit if you haven't sold any yet. Selling may prove to be more difficult than buying.

Copperhead
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
............So, what do copper and silver have in common, other than the fact than the latter is largely a by-product of the mining of the former? Well, enter the spec funds – once again. The flavor of the day, week, month, quarter, year, and past three years as well.

[Marketwatch’s Jim Jelter throws out the following road flares in an effort to temper the euphoria that has reached levels whereby ANY news-good or bad- has been used to buy, buy, buy, and little (zero, actually) in the way of carefully looking ‘under the hood’ (in terms of fundamentals, anyway) has been carried out at a time when sentiment and momentum have been ruling the (trading) day. Take it away, Jim:

“There have been a couple of recent developments that accelerated copper’s ascent, including the news Tuesday that J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. over the past few weeks had snapped up about $1 billion of copper on the London Metals Exchange, more than half of all the copper stored in the London’s warehouses. The bank claims it was buying on behalf of clients. Others suspect it was trying to corner the market. Regardless, the copper-buying binge is a huge bet on the red metal and leaves outsiders wondering whether this reflects a belief that global manufacturing is truly rebounding to the point where copper could soon be in short supply, or whether this is simply big money engineering a speculative “pump-and-dump” that’s likely to burn anyone jumping on the bandwagon at this late stage.

And then there’s silver. Silver futures have nearly left the charts, up 76% since the start of 2010, to trade at a 30-year high. As the most volatile of the three, silver is also most vulnerable to an implosion. But at $29.78 an ounce, it’s certainly been good to those with the foresight, fortitude or dumb luck to ride it to the top this year. Can the rally be sustained? That probably depends more on fears tied to the European debt crisis, the Fed and the dollar than it does to underlying demand for any of these metals. But anyone contemplating taking a position now in gold, silver or copper futures — especially if using dollars to buy them — should understand that the risks get bigger when these contracts start taking out record-highs.

Dazzling, yes. But at these levels, metals are potentially dangerous.”

http://www.kitco.com/ind/nadler/dec082010.html

opiumbox2000
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Anybody want any copper pennies. I am selling them for 2 cents each.

Holdfast
12-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Pass!:eek:

Copperhead
12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Pass!:eek:

Yet people will pay up to or even over $10.00 for $4.00's worth of copper bars.

opiumbox2000
12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Yet people will pay up to or even over $10.00 for $4.00's worth of copper bars.

Irrational Exhuber-stupidy

Holdfast
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Crikey!

I see someone else is having cooling problems with their Nvidia GPU.
That's a lot of heat sinks!:p
Silver has better conductivity and easier to sell!:D

tinhorn
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM

I would if it didn't cost another 2 cents each to ship them. If you ever visit the Boston area, bring 'em with ya and PM me.

opiumbox2000
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I would if it didn't cost another 2 cents each to ship them. If you ever visit the Boston area, bring 'em with ya and PM me.

I will store them for you. This way I don't have to charge a shipping fee. My storage fee is very reasonable. Just $10 a month.

mozart13
12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Anyone shorting Copper at present time, in the past whenever reached $4, there was pullback, has been up for last 8 trading sessions.
Copper ETF's on TSX :HKU,HKD

Greenback
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM

No thank you, the banks where I'm at have all the copper pennies I could want and selling them for 1 cent each, no shipping.

themadscientist
12-11-2010, 06:15 AM
I would love some copper bullion bars but the premium over spot is crazygonuts. I need to start smelting copper scrap and pouring my own.

925Sterling
12-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I would love some copper bullion bars but the premium over spot is crazygonuts. I need to start smelting copper scrap and pouring my own.

Tried that. I have found almost all industrial use copper to be cut with higher temp metals. It will not melt at Cu temp. While my setup cannot get hot enough I am sure it could be done on aceltylene/oxygen.

themadscientist
12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
So you are left with electrolysis to break it out of alloy? :confused:

925Sterling
12-11-2010, 11:41 AM
So you are left with electrolysis to break it out of alloy? :confused:

Haven't delved that deep into it. It sits just fine as is, can't stack it though. Just sorta lays. :rolleyes: I bought most of this stuff over the last few years. You can pick up alot of good deals on craigslist just by typing in "scrap copper".

Also any home renovation store like Home Depot or Lowes when they have "going out of buisness" sales. I bought spools of naked bare wire for 2 and 3 cents a foot.

ccjoe
12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Haven't delved that deep into it. It sits just fine as is, can't stack it though. Just sorta lays. :rolleyes: I bought most of this stuff over the last few years. You can pick up alot of good deals on craigslist just by typing in "scrap copper".

Also any home renovation store like Home Depot or Lowes when they have "going out of buisness" sales. I bought spools of naked bare wire for 2 and 3 cents a foot.

I have the last 8 boxes (66 lbs- 30 kilos per box) of my first 500 keys coming in the mail today.
The bars are beautiful!
Last night Larry Kudlow called it King Copper.
Today Chapman and Waltzek talked of it for the first time on gold seek radio.
Weird! The whole world is going copper as NOW silver is becoming too expensive.
2011 ag- 100 Oz
cu- 100 lb!
Go silver Go copper!!!!!!!!

Moonstruck
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I like playing with pennies. It relaxes me. Kinda get a sorting daze ;)

themadscientist
12-11-2010, 11:53 PM
I have the last 8 boxes (66 lbs- 30 kilos per box) of my first 500 keys coming in the mail today.
The bars are beautiful!

And no pictures, for shame. :(

ccjoe
12-12-2010, 06:27 AM
And no pictures, for shame. :(

I am too low tech for that as that would be like curing cancer for me:)

Holdfast
12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
I am too low tech for that as that would be like curing cancer for me:)

Low tech:confused: What is low tech?

I thought low tech meant you can't work a key board:eek: :o

You need a Christmas Basket:0

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/MyOrganicGarden/MyOrganicGarden/10Dec2010VegetableBasketYummo.jpg

themadscientist
12-12-2010, 06:58 AM
looks yummy. I wish I had time to garden. :mad:

ccjoe
12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Low tech:confused: What is low tech?

I thought low tech meant you can't work a key board:eek: :o

You need a Christmas Basket:0

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/MyOrganicGarden/MyOrganicGarden/10Dec2010VegetableBasketYummo.jpg

Great pic on my new 21 inch apple.
Too bad I can't do much with this great imac:(

97guns
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
The bars are beautiful!
Last night Larry Kudlow called it King Copper.
Today Chapman and Waltzek talked of it for the first time on gold seek radio.
Weird! The whole world is going copper as NOW silver is becoming too expensive.
2011 ag- 100 Oz
cu- 100 lb!
Go silver Go copper!!!!!!!!

see what i mean, you know what im talking about

ccjoe
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
see what i mean, you know what im talking about

Actually I'm flattered and you know what I mean:)

aybesee123
12-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Someone recently paid $50,000 for 4 tons of copper. That person could have bought TEN tons for that same price through this dealer? :confused:

http://www.portlandmint.com/products.php

Copperhead
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Someone recently paid $50,000 for 4 tons of copper. That person could have bought TEN tons for that same price through this dealer? :confused:

LOL! I like how they are selling $10,000 of U.S. nickels for over $10,700 but will only buy them back for $10,030. You might as well return them to the bank instead of shipping them back to them at that offer.

Copperhead
12-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Also, to be fair to that unnamed someone, copper pennies are #2 copper ( brass) and since it is illegal to melt them in the U.S. they are only of value, other than their face value, if you can find another investor who wants them. In other words, they have to remain as pennies under current law.

aybesee123
12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Also, to be fair to that unnamed someone, copper pennies are #2 copper ( brass) and since it is illegal to melt them in the U.S. they are only of value, other than their face value, if you can find another investor who wants them. In other words, they have to remain as pennies under current law.

Fair enough, a copper penny is 95% copper and 5% zinc. So he could have gotten 9.5 tons, not 10. :D

aybesee123
12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
LOL! I like how they are selling $10,000 of U.S. nickels for over $10,700 but will only buy them back for $10,030. You might as well return them to the bank instead of shipping them back to them at that offer.

Ya, I noticed that also, a 700 dollar bump and you still have to pay the crating and shipping! :eek:

Copperhead
12-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Fair enough, a copper penny is 95% copper and 5% zinc. So he could have gotten 9.5 tons, not 10. :D

Not really, as pennies they remain brass. Brass contains copper but it they are no longer pure copper. It isn't easy or cheap to refine brass back to pure copper. Also someone over at GIM had pennies assayed and it found a slight amount of nickel in the alloy. Nickel is like poison when it comes to using copper for electrical applications.

All I'm saying is that there are good reasons why "copper" pennies are going for less per pound than pure copper. I believe that CC understands those reasons and based his decision on them.

ccjoe
12-13-2010, 06:06 AM
I can buy 100K worth of apples for what that guy paid 50K for oranges.
Copper skyrocketing yet again.
That guy's dealer that he bought from just raised his price again TODAY!
So that guy is up 75% if he bought from any other dealer in the U.S. and he is up 20% in 13 days from that lowest priced dealer.
It's amazing that on a copper forum, there is such a lack of sophistication:(
I guess it's just make believe for most people here:(
Watch Bloomberg this morning, and they are talking yet again about skyrocketing copper.

ccjoe
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Not really, as pennies they remain brass. Brass contains copper but it they are no longer pure copper. It isn't easy or cheap to refine brass back to pure copper. Also someone over at GIM had pennies assayed and it found a slight amount of nickel in the alloy. Nickel is like poison when it comes to using copper for electrical applications.

All I'm saying is that there are good reasons why "copper" pennies are going for less per pound than pure copper. I believe that CC understands those reasons and based his decision on them.
Thanks copperhead as I posted BEFORE I read your rational post.
Apples and oranges is what the other posters were comparing.
I got so upset with being attacked at GIM that I attacked back, and they banned ME. So much for freedom to defend yourself from buffoonery.
Thanks again as I start to wonder why I even bother to post at all.

Copperhead
12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks copperhead as I posted BEFORE I read your rational post.
Apples and oranges is what the other posters were comparing.
I got so upset with being attacked at GIM that I attacked back, and they banned ME. So much for freedom to defend yourself from buffoonery.
Thanks again as I start to wonder why I even bother to post at all.

Right or wrong CC, you are thinking outside the box. That seldom makes one popular on sites such as GIM. I think we have a more open-minded group in general.

I remember a guy named Ryedale who invented a crude penny sorting machine. First the guys at GIM said it was a lie. He posted a video. Then they said it wouldn't sell. It did. Then they said they could invent a better one. They didn't. Sour grapes makes for poor wine, but lots of sour grapes whining.

ccjoe
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Right or wrong CC, you are thinking outside the box. That seldom makes one popular on sites such as GIM. I think we have a more open-minded group in general.

I remember a guy named Ryedale who invented a crude penny sorting machine. First the guys at GIM said it was a lie. He posted a video. Then they said it wouldn't sell. It did. Then they said they could invent a better one. They didn't. Sour grapes makes for poor wine, but lots of sour grapes whining.

WOW! A rational human being:)
I just checked GIM and they are doing a poll that proves I am stupid for storing my stuff in a high tech security facility and the voting is 50/4 against.
How can I deal with such Forrest Gumpian thinking.
I bought 3750 beautiful shiny copper kilos marked .999 fine copper with different designs for about 50% of what every other dealer charges, copper is going through the roof, I've almost doubled my 50 grand in 13 days and people bust my chops! It's hard to believe!

ccjoe
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Now watch, people will somehow find a way to bust my chops on that post!
It's on Bloomberg, CNBC; Jim Rogers; every expert in the country is saying it's the best investment for the decade. JP Morgan bought 80% of the world's supply and I just heard that there's only an 8 day supply left in London, and still people are sour grapes as you said? I think it's anti/Christian jealous evil.
It's Christmas for cryin out loud so be happy if someone is stoked about something and THEN the world follows.
I still love silver the most though:)

greenbeard
12-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Good job! Who are you buying from?

WOW! A rational human being:)
I just checked GIM and they are doing a poll that proves I am stupid for storing my stuff in a high tech security facility and the voting is 50/4 against.
How can I deal with such Forrest Gumpian thinking.
I bought 3750 beautiful shiny copper kilos marked .999 fine copper with different designs for about 50% of what every other dealer charges, copper is going through the roof, I've almost doubled my 50 grand in 13 days and people bust my chops! It's hard to believe!

ccjoe
12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Good job! Who are you buying from?

Just google like I did and do your R and D.

themadscientist
12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I would still like to see what the bars look like.

ccjoe
12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I would still like to see what the bars look like.

Just google as I just did.http://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/copper.html?p=2http://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/copper.html?p=2
I chose Provident but check out Tacoma Copper too.
They are all great.
Note the out of stock!
If I had given out my dealer I would never have gotten 3750 kilos for 13 apiece.
I help more than most people here but I cannot do deals for people.
It's probably the only talent I have.

themadscientist
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
"Temporarily out of stock," your doin I suspect? :p

ccjoe
12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
"Temporarily out of stock," your doin I suspect? :p

I don't think so:)
Thanks though.
It is very difficult to get these bars in quantity that tells me that we are only a year or two away from copper bars and coins selling like silver coins sell today.
This fiscal fiasco is really coming our way like a tsunami building up speed.
This DIP could be the very last dip as people are going to start panic buying gold, silver, pd, pla, and of course king copper.

torpedoman
12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
buy copper sheets they come in 4X8 like plywood if tshtf it is easy to make a still out of two sheets and if you have whiskey to trade you will not get hungry.

Moonstruck
12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
When I was a truck driver in the mid 90s. I delevered a few loads of copper slabs from that large open pit mine, in Arizona. To a bonded warehouse in the port of LA. They needed to use a fork lift to move them in and out of the truck......

So..

You need a biger truck!!

:D

twindragons11
12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
so only pennies from 1909-1981 (except 1943) are copper, am i correct?

greenbeard
12-15-2010, 11:49 PM
If you are talking lincoln pennies, yes.

so only pennies from 1909-1981 (except 1943) are copper, am i correct?

ccjoe
12-16-2010, 06:22 AM
When I was a truck driver in the mid 90s. I delevered a few loads of copper slabs from that large open pit mine, in Arizona. To a bonded warehouse in the port of LA. They needed to use a fork lift to move them in and out of the truck......

So..

You need a biger truck!!

:D

I agree after my kids helped load our 17 66 lb boxes into our facility.
Our final 3250 kilos are coming freighted with the 109 boxes being loaded into our facility.

ccjoe
12-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Another day another record>http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-21/copper-advances-for-a-third-day-in-london-shanghai-new-york.html

Next stop 10?
I see copper measured in ounces within 2 years when it hits 50 lb.
Don't confuse this price which is predicated upon raw cu, with the beautiful bars that I have. Night and day.

Greenback
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I think if copper hit that number you can forget about finding a good supply of copper pennies in circulation. Do you think the government would pull out the copper pennies like Canada did?

ccjoe
12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I think if copper hit that number you can forget about finding a good supply of copper pennies in circulation. Do you think the government would pull out the copper pennies like Canada did?

Absolutely! That's why I don't even bother with the pennies although my wife does that and also she looks for 1964< silver as a fun hobby.

JustaNumber
12-26-2010, 03:46 PM
...I've almost doubled my 50 grand in 13 days...
Where would you sell the copper if you wanted to? (I imagine it's not as easy as driving your forklift up to your local coin store).

laredo7mm
12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
...I bought 3750 beautiful shiny copper kilos marked .999 fine copper with different designs for about 50% of what every other dealer charges, copper is going through the roof, I've almost doubled my 50 grand in 13 days and people bust my chops! It's hard to believe!

You do have some pretty fuzzy math going on. You bought 3750kg at $13 per kilo, plus $1100 shipping (IIRC). Breaking it all down you paid $6.03 per pound. Spot price is $4.25 per pound.

Valuing your stack on dealer wholesale does not seem like the best way, imo.

Copperhead
12-26-2010, 04:53 PM
You don't realize a profit or a loss until you sell. I assume CC understands that. I also assumes he understands that with his bars he will be in the copper bar marketing business and not in a highly liquid investment such as silver eagles or bars. The same hold true for those who sort for copper pennies to sell. That doesn't mean he won't make out on it. But he will have to do a lot of work running his business.

ccjoe
12-26-2010, 06:39 PM
You don't realize a profit or a loss until you sell. I assume CC understands that. I also assumes he understands that with his bars he will be in the copper bar marketing business and not in a highly liquid investment such as silver eagles or bars. The same hold true for those who sort for copper pennies to sell. That doesn't mean he won't make out on it. But he will have to do a lot of work running his business.

You got it cu!
People should think and see that the next lowest price is around 26 a key.
It's NOT the spot as silver stackers realize. I wish copper newbies had that same knowledge.
I WILL sell for NO LESS than 39 + a kilo and triple my money WHEN others sell for 45 a key.
NOW they're going for 26 a kilo average and I bought the lowest price for 13.
VERY clear headed math to me.:)
I don't care what the spot is as I'm NOT buying spot but BARS.
It's like in school with a grading curve. 25% on a test used to be a B in a tough course.

Copperhead
12-26-2010, 08:33 PM
You got it cu!
People should think and see that the next lowest price is around 26 a key.
It's NOT the spot as silver stackers realize. I wish copper newbies had that same knowledge.
I WILL sell for NO LESS than 39 + a kilo and triple my money WHEN others sell for 45 a key.
VERY clear headed math to me.:)
I don't care what the spot is as I'm NOT buying spot but BARS.
It's like in school with a grading curve. 25% on a test used to be a B in a tough course.

No shame in running a business too. Many people now don't want to have to work at anything. All they want to do is buy a commodity or stock and expect it to pay out big. Sure, that can happen but it doesn't hurt to get out there and make something happen for yourself once in a while too.

laredo7mm
12-26-2010, 09:26 PM
You don't realize a profit or a loss until you sell...

True, but I know the real value, in FRNs, of my stack. That is based on what I can sell it for, at any given time, from the buyback numbers posted on Apmex. Basing my current FRN value on the price point I am going to sell at is not, in my opinion, realistic. It it was, and my sell point is 2X current spot, I should I adjust my stack value to approximately twice it's current amount.

...I WILL sell for NO LESS than 39 + a kilo and triple my money WHEN others sell for 45 a key.
VERY clear headed math to me.:)...

If that is the way you want to run your numbers that is your prerogative. But if that is the case, and you are going to undersell your competition by 13.33%, and then using your own figures, your bars should not be currently valued at $26, but instead, they should valued at $22.53.

ccjoe
12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
True, but I know the real value, in FRNs, of my stack. That is based on what I can sell it for, at any given time, from the buyback numbers posted on Apmex. Basing my current FRN value on the price point I am going to sell at is not, in my opinion, realistic. It it was, and my sell point is 2X current spot, I should I adjust my stack value to approximately twice it's current amount.

If that is the way you want to run your numbers that is your prerogative. But if that is the case, and you are going to undersell your competition by 13.33%, and then using your own figures, your bars should not be currently valued at $26, but instead, they should valued at $22.53.

The numbers were 3 weeks ago and copper has gone up 15% since I bought even though I haven't even got that last 3250 kilos yet.
Obviously why would anyone care that I've doubled my money (actually more) since I'm NOT selling for a while.

97guns
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Obviously why would anyone care that I've doubled my money (actually more) since I'm NOT selling for a while.

then why would you tell us repeatedly(actually more) that you've doubled up? Obviously you want someone to care.

ccjoe
12-27-2010, 02:19 PM
then why would you tell us repeatedly(actually more) that you've doubled up? Obviously you want someone to care.
I only do that when people apparently get resentful.
You remember 97 when you chased me from GIM by baiting me as you are now.

ccjoe
12-31-2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-31/copper-gains-to-record-in-london-new-york-heads-for-second-annual-rise.html
10 dollar copper anyone by Ground Hog's Day?

ccjoe
01-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I called in to radioseek radio last week and they played my question about copper. http://radio.goldseek.com/ It's about 32 MINUTES in. I've been feeling terrible so Chris Waltzek (the host) thought I said I was from Concord Mass> obviously cape cod.
He said Dr Stephen Leeb predicted 80 lb for copper!
Who knows maybe cu will turn out better than my ag?
I thought the same thing with real estate so there is NO room for cockiness, that's for sure.

Moonstruck
01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
The whole world needs copper. Lots and lots of copper. At this time. I like the copper mineing stocks, that allso produce silver. It's a nice multi-metal play. For both the short and longer term. :)

ccjoe
01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
The whole world needs copper. Lots and lots of copper. At this time. I like the copper mineing stocks, that allso produce silver. It's a nice multi-metal play. For both the short and longer term. :)

You got that right!
The average house uses over 439 lbs of cu>http://www.copper.org/education/c-facts/c-home.html

Agathon
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I must say, I've been getting into copper lately. Got a big package in the mail the other day. Wife said, "what is it?" I said, "copper." She rolled her eyes. But at least it doesn't break the bank.

Stocked up on gold for years, but had to stop once it hit >12xx.

Silver is awesome--probably my favorite--but I refuse to pay more than $40/oz. And soon all ounces will be more than that.

So copper looks good. In the 80s it was pushing $3-4/lb. So the gov't had to stop using real copper to make pennies. Now it's just a little over $4/lb. and China is importing it like mad. $10 copper? Easy. $20 copper? Why not?

The problem is finding it cheap. I've been buying on the 'bay, stacking copper pennies, copper wire, copper pipes, even ordered from Provident as ccjoe suggested. $9/lb. is the cheapest I've found. All in all I have less than 100 lbs. So, my question is:

How much is ridiculous? Let's face it: you can't sell copper bullion back to Kitco or Apmex. Refineries will give you spot at best. Are you gonna trade to the meth addicts, moonshiners, and Mad Max gangs, or what? I'd love to have a whole barn full of copper. But help me think this through. How (and when) am I gonna liquidate it?

ccjoe
01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I must say, I've been getting into copper lately. Got a big package in the mail the other day. Wife said, "what is it?" I said, "copper." She rolled her eyes. But at least it doesn't break the bank.

Silver is awesome--probably my favorite--but I refuse to pay more than $40/oz. And soon all ounces will be more than that.

So copper looks good. In the 80s it was pushing $3-4/lb. So the gov't had to stop using real copper to make pennies. Now it's just a little over $4/lb. and China is importing it like mad. $10 copper? Easy. $20 copper? Why not?

The problem is finding it cheap. I've been buying on the 'bay, stacking copper pennies, copper wire, copper pipes, even ordered from Provident as ccjoe suggested. $9/lb. is the cheapest I've found. All in all I have less than 100 lbs. So, my question is:

How much is ridiculous? Let's face it: you can't sell copper bullion back to Kitco or Apmex. Refineries will give you spot at best. Are you gonna trade to the meth addicts, moonshiners, and Mad Max gangs, or what? I'd love to have a whole barn full of copper. But help me think this through. How (and when) am I gonna liquidate it?

My quandary also as by Friday, I'll have the final 3250 Kilos delivered to my site. Then what?
I'm thinking about doing NOTHING until cu hits 10 and then open a site and retail it slowly so as to mitigate taxes.
When silver hits 50 SOON, and gold hits 1800 SOON, then people will be dying to buy a tangible asset and I KNOW copper will be the perfect vehicle to accomplish that.
Really--We all know that for years people have been stealing copper from abandoned houses, construction sites, etc.? Why is that do you think?

sandman993
01-03-2011, 11:42 AM
You trolling my friend?

Store it on your garage floor near a wall...by the old paint cans...right out in the open. No one will notice and you won't end up holding some worthless paper...that stuff may come in handy later. It's heavy though, ain't no denying that.

The problem is, the spot price and retail isn't realistic with each other...I just purchased at 2.00 over spot per pound. That said, if Cu's going where I think its headed...I won't worry about it...long term this investment is...and it's real.

Hoho64
01-04-2011, 05:33 AM
You should check out the BST thread, much cheaper than 9 a lb

tjmdo
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Just picked up a copper coin sorter and I think it misses some. I have put about 12.50 through and I find copper coins in my post 82 section. How do I fix this or is this typical???

Thanks

ccjoe
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
You should check out the BST thread, much cheaper than 9 a lb

My dealer FINALLY shipped out my final 3250 Kilos today as he has been bombed with orders.
I am very happy to have 8250 lbs of copper bars and no real idea of what to do.
I think I'll do NOTHING but see it appreciate to 25 very quickly this year seeing it was 4 a lb 30 years ago.
It reminds me so much of silver it's scary> drastically underpriced and with a monetary history.

Copperhead
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
My dealer FINALLY shipped out my final 3250 Kilos today as he has been bombed with orders.
I am very happy to have 8250 lbs of copper bars and no real idea of what to do.
I think I'll do NOTHING but see it appreciate to 25 very quickly this year seeing it was 4 a lb 30 years ago.
It reminds me so much of silver it's scary> drastically underpriced and with a monetary history.

Let me know when you decide to part with some of that hoard of yours.

ccjoe
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Let me know when you decide to part with some of that hoard of yours.

Thanks CU as I really haven't got that silver "hoard" PM feeling yet.
I'm getting there though as I hold 2 copper bars hours a day as I'm watching the financials. They are so smooth and beautiful! I am obsessed with banging them together as they make such a great and unique sound.
I'll probably get a website and start selling. If I do, I'll have to continue buying albeit at a much higher price.
It should be fun!

tinhorn
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Just picked up a copper coin sorter and I think it misses some. I have put about 12.50 through and I find copper coins in my post 82 section. How do I fix this or is this typical???

Thanks

I bought two of the $45 Chinese units from an Ebay seller, and I've found the same problem. I run them in a series, with a zinc coin in the first unit and a copper coin in the second. The first unit dumps right into the second unit, for an automatic double-sort.

The unit with a zinc coin seems to do a pretty good job of sorting the zincs without very many coppers in the zinc pile. The unit with the copper penny inserted does an extremely poor job of separating--I have copper on both sides, but it does seem to separate the zinc stragglers pretty well.

I've adjusted all over the place: tight, slack, high sensitivity and low. I even replaced the 3.07 gram penny with one weighing a true 3.1 grams. I don't think it's my settings at this point; if I run the missorted coins through a second time, most of them drop into the proper boxes! Next on my list of experiments is slowing down my feed speed, and maybe even washing the coins before sorting. Since the first sorter works better than the second one, and since I use Hot Wheels track and other plastic for slides and feed tubes, I'm wondering if the coins are generating some static electricity that's confusing the sorters.

Some guys at realcent.org claim accuracy of over 99%, but I don't see anything close to that with just one device. These Ebay units aren't really hands-off sorters--they just speed up our handsorting. For now I run my keepers through a second time, and then examine them individually. (I wouldn't ordinarily go to so much trouble but I'll be selling most of my coppers, so it's vital that no zincs get into the mix.) In the last two boxes of 2500 coins each, ONE zinc penny per box has managed to get into the final pile. That's a purity rate of .9996, after passing through cheap Chinese sorters FOUR times.

laredo7mm
01-17-2011, 03:49 PM
...if I run the missorted coins through a second time, most of them drop into the proper boxes! Next on my list of experiments is slowing down my feed speed...

When you get the errors sorting, is it when one penny gets stuck/jammed inside the comparitor, and then they both come out at the same time when the next penny is dropped in the unit?

I have even seen it where one penny gets stuck, and stays stuck until the solenoid is fired which then releases both pennies into the copper bin.

That is the issue that I was having, and I think I found a fix for it. Currently I have no issues with a 2 penny per second drop rate.

tinhorn
01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I think I've been feeding slow enough that that isn't my problem, but it certainly bears closer investigation. Thanks for the tip. Some dude on realcent was claiming a feed rate of eight coins per second before he started having jamming problems. THAT would be sweet, but can you imagine how quickly a jam would get out of hand? (Jams and spills are why I intend to use covered receptacles once I get a smoothly-working system.)

Washed some coins (ten rolls) earlier today with dish soap, and tried them this afternoon. No change in my mis-sorts, but they were much more pleasant to handle!

laredo7mm
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I think I've been feeding slow enough that that isn't my problem, but it certainly bears closer investigation...

I found that even when hand feeding the stuck coins will happen, I don't think it is feed speed related. It seems to be dependant on the internal design of the comparitor.

If you look into the unit from the exit slots, you will see the "comb" that drops when the solenoid is fired, allowing the matching coin to drop through the left slot (directly below where you put the coins in). On the comparitor I have, there is enough room between the end of that comb, and the plastic web between the exit slots, where a penny can get stuck.

To fix it, I drilled a small hole in the plastic housing and tapped it so I could screw in a 2-56 bolt between the end of the comb and the plastic web. Now a penny can not get stuck there...not enough room.

If you find that this is your problem, I can post some pictures to better explain what I did.

laredo7mm
01-17-2011, 05:19 PM
...Some dude on realcent was claiming a feed rate of eight coins per second...

Dang, that would be sweet. I designed my system for 2 per second...lol. Once I got the comparitor jams figured out, I ramped her up to max speed and all was going well, except now some of my pennies are not staying on edge and rolling down the chute.

So, typical story, fix one thing and break another...:D

tinhorn
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
A picture or two would be great! Might be a good preventive measure, and it might very well be my problem.

Dollar Tree has a Wi game sword that I've used for chutes. The cool things are that they're rectangular tubes, and the taper on the pointy end allows you to slip on an additional length if necessary.

laredo7mm
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
A picture or two would be great! Might be a good preventive measure, and it might very well be my problem...

I will try and get some pictures up in the next couple of days.

Interestingly, last night, I was running the rest of my $100 face through the machine after fixing the feeding issue and I decided to check the reject bucket. I found a bunch of coppers in with the zinc pennies...not happy...lol

So I re-ran all of the zinc bucket, but ran them at one coin per second as opposed to two per second. I probably found about a 6-7% error rate on those coins. Not sure if the comparitor I bought can not handle a very fast feed rate, or what was going on. Either way, I bought a different comparitor last night that is rated at 7 coins per second, and made in the USA...:)

Hopefully that one will work better.

tinhorn
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd guess that's about the same error rate I started with on my first unit. I changed the sample penny and did a little tweaking of the tight-slack control and now it captures nearly all the zinc.

I'd like to hear more about that new unit you have!

laredo7mm
01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Here are the pictures of the comparitor modifications.

...deleted to save space on my isp...

Hope that helps.

laredo7mm
01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
...I'd like to hear more about that new unit you have!

It is a new old stock/used unit made by Coin Mechanisms Inc.

On Edit: The new coin comparitor works great. It can easily handle my 2 coins per second feed rate with no jams or hung coins. I resorted my zincs ($70 face) from my other comparitor and found another pound+ of copper pennies.

laredo7mm
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Got about 58% copper out of the last batch of $100 face. Hit the "honey hole" with tons of copper and 38 full rolls of wheat pennies, plus 6 original bank wrapped 1972 rolls. Might have to go back and see if they have more.

Ran the feeder at 2 per second, had zero jams/hangs. I re-ran the zincs and found about 5 coppers. Re-ran the coppers and found about 10 zincs.

Not bad. I will not re-run my zinc in the future, but maybe the copper, just to try and keep out any bits of zinc.

Greenback
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Got about 58% copper out of the last batch of $100 face. Hit the "honey hole" with tons of copper and 38 full rolls of wheat pennies, plus 6 original bank wrapped 1972 rolls. Might have to go back and see if they have more.

WOW, that is a good score. I average 20% copper and 4-5 wheatbacks per $25.00 box. I wonder how many old penny boxes they have like that floating around?

laredo7mm
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
WOW, that is a good score. I average 20% copper and 4-5 wheatbacks per $25.00 box. I wonder how many old penny boxes they have like that floating around?

I don't think they have much left. Yesterday was my third trip there, each time getting $100 face. The teller said they were "running out." These are all hand rolls from customers, but I must be getting into the older stuff at the bottom of their vault.

In the two previous lots, iirc, I got about 32% from the first $100 and 30% from the second $100 face.

A lot of the rolls of wheats even had the date (i.e., 1957D) written on the wrapper. Someone must have cashed in their penny collection. :)

ccjoe
02-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Another day, another all time high!http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-01/copper-and-tin-rise-to-records-aluminum-and-nickel-gain-on-chinese-demand.html

Bruce7Trader
02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think they have much left. Yesterday was my third trip there, each time getting $100 face. The teller said they were "running out." These are all hand rolls from customers, but I must be getting into the older stuff at the bottom of their vault.

In the two previous lots, iirc, I got about 32% from the first $100 and 30% from the second $100 face.

A lot of the rolls of wheats even had the date (i.e., 1957D) written on the wrapper. Someone must have cashed in their penny collection. :)

Had a 1923 nickel yesterday mixed in with 2010 roll no idea how it got there seems strange to me. The only other coin in the roll was 1997.

Question on copper a friend has copper in his garage he wants to sell it with jackets he says he wants 3 dollars a pound with the jackets, but only about 25 percent of the pile has jackets the rest is number one copper clean new heavy wire is 3 dollars a pound for the pile fair?

WE have looked it over and no idea on actual weight but our thoughts are in the range of 1,300 to 1,500 pounds. Do i buy it? Most of the wire is 3 to 6 foot lengths.

B7T:cool:

komponist53
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Am just now getting into copper. The copper bullion is attractive, but anything that is processed is going to cost a lot more, plus the shipping isn't cheap either. A 1 kilo (around 2 lbs) will cost around $25 for one bar (as of Oct. 2011), so these stamped and highly polished bars have more collector value than investor value. Two cases in point: scrap copper is currently going for around 3 to 4 bucks a pound. The 2 pound bar then isn't worth more than about $8. Even when the market rebounds, that pretty copper slug won't be worth any more than what you paid for it. Unless you can buy this product a lot cheaper, it's not worth it to get into copper. The other point is that you'd have to buy 1,000 1 kilo bars to equal 1 ton, and right now, 1 ton in the marketplace goes for around $10,000. If you bought 1,000 of these copper bullion bars, you'd be paying $25,000 and losing $15,000! I now buy industrial grade copper in bars (much cheaper). Unless you own a metal scrap yard, don't go into plumbing fixtures...too messy. Buy formed stock copper only when the market is way low.

dieseldog
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Had a 1923 nickel yesterday mixed in with 2010 roll no idea how it got there seems strange to me. The only other coin in the roll was 1997.

Question on copper a friend has copper in his garage he wants to sell it with jackets he says he wants 3 dollars a pound with the jackets, but only about 25 percent of the pile has jackets the rest is number one copper clean new heavy wire is 3 dollars a pound for the pile fair?

WE have looked it over and no idea on actual weight but our thoughts are in the range of 1,300 to 1,500 pounds. Do i buy it? Most of the wire is 3 to 6 foot lengths.

B7T:cool:

bruce
call your local scrap dealer, ask what price they are paying for clean (no jackets, AKA insulation) copper wire. Then take a 3' length and strip it and weigh it.
This will give you an idea of what you should be paying for it. $3 sounds high, and I have no idea of the precentage of the weight that is the insulation on the wire...
good luck

yellowsnow
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Just roll search for old pennies.yup, get them under spot