PDA

View Full Version : Rare Earth Elements Companies

AURUM
11-04-2010, 01:47 PM
This thread is intended to continue conversations on rare earth elements and the companies involved in them.

This is a continuation of the archived thread that has voluminous amounts of information:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=69774

goldiehawn
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you :D

goldiehawn
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Just bought some more Lynas today

LYSCF and the US ADR is LYSDY

knwise
11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
This thread is intended to continue conversations on rare earth elements and the companies involved in them.

Could you place a link or move the "old thread or posts" to here for convenience & continuity? There is a lot of information (probably more than anywhere else) that should be shared or easily accessible that many spent a lot of time and energy to post. It is a beautiful work of art!
Thanks

AURUM
11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Could you place a link or move the "old thread or posts" to here for convenience & continuity? There is a lot of information (probably more than anywhere else) that should be shared or easily accessible that many spent a lot of time and energy to post. It is a beautiful work of art!
Thanks

I added the link to the first post on this thread. I am adding the link to this thread on the old one and it will be closed, but kept as an archive for easy access through the provided link.

Again, the old thread is here:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=69774

knwise
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Very Appreciative. :)

goldiehawn
11-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Still can't believe our thread got blown up over some Kidela dude none of us ever heard of.

Mods you screwed the pooch on this one.. :D

knwise
11-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Still can't believe our thread got blown up over some Kidela dude none of us ever heard of.

Mods you screwed the pooch on this one.. :D

I sure hope everyone comes back here, although no body is back home here other than one of the stalwarts and best head who shares her invaluable insights & experience to everyones delight. Thanks Goldiehawn! Must have been a bunch of ego's clashing to bring down one of the all time best threads. Lets pray for repentance, or whatever. There was so much diligence, work shared & a great community for all to benefit & share.
GL

goldiehawn
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I sure hope everyone comes back here, although no body is back home here other than one of the stalwarts and best head who shares her invaluable insights & experience to everyones delight. Thanks Goldiehawn! Must have been a bunch of ego's clashing to bring down one of the all time best threads. Lets pray for repentance, or whatever. There was so much diligence, work shared & a great community for all to benefit & share.
GL

Lynas is on sale today (LYSCF and LYSDY). Pulled back 10% on no news. Rest of sector is flat today. :D

BTW knwise I am a he :eek:

knwise
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
"BTW knwise I am a he"
Glad we got that right. I guess i should take my poster down!
Regardless, you are the one that got me started with REE'S & i am
really happy with all your help here. It was a great start & you have my undivided attention,
although i am not much of a contributor yet as i am still on a steep learning curve..
GL ;)

Lyonnais
11-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Interesting video talking about China's monopoly on strategic military use REEs:
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/63400346/

Where's BTG??

robncarin
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Just bought some more Lynas today

LYSCF and the US ADR is LYSDY

Goldie--
1. Can you please explain the difference between the two symbols if they are the same company
2. What is an "ADR"
3. Which is better to trade on the US markets -- or does it matter? The charts look about the same

Thanks!!

lageorges
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi there....happened onto the just closed REE thread here last week and was most impressed , some pretty well informed banter, the likes I havent seen on REEs prior.

So thought id join and by the time i came to have a voice here...poof the old thread was closed and onto a new thread here!

Oh well am hoping that doesnt mean all the previous contributors are gone.
In any event its nice to be here I see some name i recogninze from reading previous posts.

I bought into REEs a little more than a year ago and have enjoyed the ride immensely , Ill try to contribute but I must say I dont think ill be teaching any of you anything !

In REEs I hold MCP, RUU, UCU, SSE, PUC

Nice to meet you all..!!!

goldiehawn
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Goldie--
1. Can you please explain the difference between the two symbols if they are the same company
2. What is an "ADR"
3. Which is better to trade on the US markets -- or does it matter? The charts look about the same

Thanks!!

ADR is American Depository Receipt
A negotiable certificate issued by a U.S. bank representing a specified number of shares (or one share) in a foreign stock that is traded on a U.S. exchange. ADRs are denominated in U.S. dollars, with the underlying security held by a U.S. financial institution overseas. ADRs help to reduce administration and duty costs that would otherwise be levied on each transaction.

LYSDY is the US ADR of LYSCF (Lynas). One shares of LYSDY = Ten shares of LYSCF. Buying either is fine as they are both the same thing. The ADR just gives you easier access to it as it trades on the US exchanges. Schwab would charge you $100 to buy LYSCF while they would only charge you $8.95 to buy LYSDY.

Hope this helps! :D

dlhunter
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Got some Lynas?

bidie
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
CIN.V has provided an update on their drill program currently going on at their Carbo property in B.C.
------------------

Carbo Drill Core Displays Abundant REE Minerals

Trading Symbol CIN-TSX.V

VANCOUVER, Nov. 8 /CNW/ - Canadian International Mineral Inc. (CIN - TSX.V) and Commerce Resources Corp. (CCE - TSX.V) are pleased to update the current and ongoing diamond drill program on their Carbo Rare Earth Element (REE) property. CIN is earning a 75% interest in the property from Commerce Resources Corp. (CCE), and is meeting all conditions of the agreement to earn their interest. Drilling is currently on the eighth diamond drill hole (DDH). Total core as of late November 6 was 1226 meters. Drilling will continue until weather dictates the end of safe and cost effective working conditions.

Core is flown out daily to a staging area about 1km from the drill site and trucked to a secure core processing and storage facility in Prince George. There it is logged and sawn by Mackevoy Geosciences Ltd. personnel and shipped to ALS Chemex via DHL. Samples are pulverized, split and analyzed using Au FA ICP-AES finish (gold fire assay), Whole Rock ICP-AES, 38 element fusion ICP -MS (includes all REEs) and trace lead and zinc packages. No assays have been received and first results are anticipated in two weeks.

The Carbo property comprises 7 claims totalling an area of 2,778.63 hectares and is accessible by all weather gravel roads. It is located in the emerging Wicheeda REE carbonatite camp approximately 80 km north east of Prince George, B.C., on the western margin of the Rocky Mountain trench, a major continental geologic feature which is now recognized as the locus of numerous potentially economic concentrations of rare metals. Much of this terrain has seen very little exploration incorporating current models and modern technology. It is adjacent to and contiguous with Spectrum Mining's Wicheeda rare metals discovery, as described in B.C.G.S. Assesement Report # 30873. The Carbo drill targets are within 900 meters of Spectrum's 2009 drilling.

The region has garnered significant attention due to the discovery of significant REE mineralization associated with the Wicheeda Carbonatite-Syenite Complex. The Carbo Property covers in excess of 6 km strike length of the complex, which is manifested as an elongate, northwest to southeast trending geophysical anomaly.

A geological synopsis has been provided by Allison Brand, M.Sc. Mackevoy Geoscience Ltd. as follows.

The area currently undergoing diamond drilling corresponds to a distinct airborne geophysical anomaly and coincident soil sample assays from several locations with anomalous rare earth elements and pathfinders. Diamond drill core from the initial five holes has been examined and all holes intersect sections of carbonatite, associated alkaline dykes and metasomatic alteration. Assays are expected shortly from all drill core in the first two drill holes.

Carbonatite intersections can be thin to several tens of metres in thickness, and are generally planar and parallel to host rock (siltstone/phyllite) fabric, which is consistently subvertical. Occasionally the carbonatite is transitional to some of the alteration styles or occurs as crosscutting dikes or veins. Interfingered layering and breccia matrix infill of fine-grained, carbonatite material occurs near or at carbonatite contacts. Carbonatite is typically a combination of crystalline calcite, dolomite, and/or ankerite, accompanied by a variety of rare element accessory minerals. The host rocks around the intrusive are altered in a variety of modes, to varying degrees.

The alteration variably consists of bleaching, hornfelsing, pyritization, Na-K-carbonate metasomatic halo, and flooding of grey-blue feldspar-feldspathoid proximal to carbonatite. In addition, carbonate-bearing alkaline dikes that crosscut the host rocks are sulphide-rich (sphalerite, pyrite, pyrrhotite and galena).

Several research samples were chosen to elucidate the composition and identities of accessory minerals in carbonatite and its associated alteration zones. These samples were investigated via scanning electron microscopy (SEM) by Prof. Lee Groat, Dr. Jim Evans, and Dr. Leo Millonig of the University of British Columbia's Mineralogical Research Group.

Most significantly, REE-carbonate phase(s) were identified in carbonatite, and likely correspond to a combination of bastnae-sitesynchysite-parisite. Where concentrations of this mineral assemblage were reported they were noted to be up to 50% of the interval by mode. Sphalerite, strontianite (strontium carbonate), an unknown Ni- Fe-Cr oxide, barite, columbite((Fe, Mn)(Nb, Ta)2O6) and Nb-rich rutile were also identified. Significant sulphide is also present in deeper carbonatite intervals: phases identified in core include sphalerite, galena, pyrite, pyrrhotite, and chalcopyrite. The SEM investigation also confirmed the presence of feldspathoid and feldspar phases in alteration zones.

The style of mineralization thus far observed, is consistent with known occurrences of REE mineralization within the region. As previously stated, all core from the first two holes is currently being assayed.

CIN and CCE are proud to be sponsors of the upcoming International Workshop on the Geology of Rare Metals in Victoria November 9-10 organized by the British Columbia Geological Survey, Geological Survey of Canada and the Pacific Section of the Geological Association of Canada.

We are also honored that five of our consultants or members of CINs advisory board are presenting or authored papers for the workshop. They are Professor Lee Groat, Ph.D., and David Turner, M.Sc. (University of B.C., Mackevoy Geoscience Ltd.), Professor Anton Chakhouradian Ph.D. and Ryan Kressell M.Sc. (University of Manitoba) and Professor Roger Mitchell Ph.D. (Lakehead University).

Select sections of core from the current drilling program at Carbo are being sent out for further study, and.pictures of mineralized core are available for viewing on the company's website.
The Qualified Person who has reviewe
d the technical data for this news release is Thomas Hasek P.Eng.
Michael E. Schuss

TheFrozenMan
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I am holding URRE, DNN, and GDLNF.. Waiting for a big up on GDLNF, but the others are performing VERY well..

wildwind
11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I am holding URRE, DNN, and GDLNF.. Waiting for a big up on GDLNF, but the others are performing VERY well..

I particularly like the Greenlland one< the Gov.t there has raised the Uranium zero tolerance ban to 0.1% this is a begining and allows GDLNF to move forward, will buy into it this week.

goldiehawn
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Good read
http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Abandoned+Canadian+mine+lesson+rare+earth+investor s/3799498/story.html

wildwind
11-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Good read
http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Abandoned+Canadian+mine+lesson+rare+earth+investor s/3799498/story.html

Thank you.
Thats a very interesting article.Like it implies if China were to lift the quota ban and flood the market short term that would leave a depressed market and some very sick projects, the counter measure to that would be western powers protecting non chinese supliers because of security reasons.
So really at the moment everything is on the boil.
I found this paragraph interesting...........

"We believe that the electric vehicle is going to be a dominant form of transportation in decades to come,” Byron Capital’s Hykawy said, adding demand for the magnetic rare earths is set to jump almost 800 per cent by 2015".........Hmmm

As well as an upsurge in REEs there would be a concomitant surge in lithium requirments ......

goldiehawn
11-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you.
Thats a very interesting article.Like it implies if China were to lift the quota ban and flood the market short term that would leave a depressed market and some very sick projects, the counter measure to that would be western powers protecting non chinese supliers because of security reasons.
So really at the moment everything is on the boil.
I found this paragraph interesting...........

"We believe that the electric vehicle is going to be a dominant form of transportation in decades to come,” Byron Capital’s Hykawy said, adding demand for the magnetic rare earths is set to jump almost 800 per cent by 2015".........Hmmm

As well as an upsurge in REEs there would be a concomitant surge in lithium requirments ......

Here is a rebuttal to that article I posted “Abandoned Canadian mine a lesson for rare earth investors”.
http://raremetalaudio.com/
Tuesday, November 09, 2010
WANTED: Professor Rare Earth to 'Write a Wrong'.

scroll down to middle of page

brrrrt
11-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Greetings Goldiehawn and other contributers on this thread. I recently doubled on AREM and took half off the table when it happened. I stumbled across Quest (TSX.V:QRM) on
Discovery Investing morning notes today. It is today's post on http://www.discoveryinvesting.com/Notes . Quest's Website http://www.questrareminerals.com/index.php. They seem to have their stuff together. Closing price of $4.33 today. Any upside here? Thanks in advance.

wildwind
11-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Here is a rebuttal to that article I posted “Abandoned Canadian mine a lesson for rare earth investors”.
http://raremetalaudio.com/
Tuesday, November 09, 2010
WANTED: Professor Rare Earth to 'Write a Wrong'.

scroll down to middle of page

I only got a blank area on the page. However I enjoyed some of the Micky Fulp videos.
Its always nice to see someone who enjoys his work and is willing to pass on his knowledge to future generations.
I remember seeing that abandoned mine story elsewhere, isn't it in Northern Quebec. I thought I'd read about it being resurected by someone.

ridgeback23
11-12-2010, 01:46 AM
more news from china,
http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/12112010/24/f-afp-china-issues-tougher-rare-earth-export-rules.html

SiberD
11-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Lynas news.... :D :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/business/global/25rare.html?_r=2&ref=energy-environment

InGoldweTrust
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
http://oakshirefinancial.com/2010/11/29/jon-hykawy-sees-downstream-value-in-rare-earths/

Byron Capital Markets Analyst Jon Hykawy sees the rare earth elements (REE) sector for what it is—something much different from mining copper or gold. He believes the keys to making money in rare earths involve metallurgy, deposit location, marketing and downstream integration. In this Gold Report exclusive, Jon makes his case for rare earth elements and the companies he believes have the best chance to deliver them at a profit...

InGoldweTrust
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
China has started to severely restrict the exports of rare-earth materials, which often find use in “green”-technology designs, including hybrid vehicles and energy-efficient lighting, as well as in the medical, defense, and consumer markets. The country delivers nearly 100% of the world’s rare-earth materials: 17 metals that are somewhat hard to refine and that tend to occur in the same ore deposits (Table 1). The cutbacks have resulted in shock waves through the electronics industry and could force design changes in the near future.

Over the summer, the House of Representatives passed HR 6160, RESTART (Rare Earths and Critical Materials Revitalization Act of 2010). The bill authorizes development of a domestic rare-earth-materials program aiming at addressing short-term shortages. Industry organizations continue to push for legislation such as RESTART to speed the output of rare-earth materials. “We discussed the rare-earth situation with government committees, and they’re concerned about it,” says Fern Abrams, director of government relations and environmental policy at IPC (formerly, Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits).

read full article:

http://www.edn.com/article/511666Electronics_industry_braces_for_rare_earth_m aterials_shortages.php

InGoldweTrust
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc issued its first notes based on the performance of a basket of rare-earth miners including Molycorp Inc., Arafura Resources Ltd. and Neo Materials Technologies Inc.

The bank sold about 4 million euros ($5 million) of the equity-linked notes to German and Swiss individuals, according to Karl Michael Hanzl, who works in equity derivatives and structured retail sales for Austria and Germany at RBS in Frankfurt. The issue of the undated notes is open-ended, which means more securities can be created to meet investor demand.

read full article:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-12-02/rare-earth-boom-prompts-rbs-to-issue-notes-tied-to-15-miners.html

CounterStrike1776
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm not a big follower of the rare earths yet, still a newbie... Playing with other metals atm... But I thought I'd share something I read...

here's the link.
http://www.thedailycrux.com/content/6174/Energy/rss

bidie
12-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Canadian International Minerals (CIN.V) has assays due in the next week or two I have heard- That is not confirmed from the company however-
That is from drilling at their Carbo REE property in B.C.
\
The market has been firm so hoping for the best-

BC_Gold_Guy
12-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Ive been out of the loop ever since BringTheGold got banned but Ive been watching the RE stocks.

Molycorp has been going bonkers lately. I bought @ $22 and sold around $32 or $34, thinking I was smart. Today it broke $50!!! whatsgoingon???

proudandrenewed
12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I am really missing Bring the Gold's expertise, dedication and altruism.
This thread had once been his baby and needs foster parents.
Happy and Prosperous New Year to you, BTG, wherever you are. :)

Larso3
12-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Avalon's had a nice run the last couple weeks. It just got listed on the NYSE under ticker AVL (formerly AVARF.PK). I'm sure most saw it, but 30% today. I think it jumped about 20% when the NYSE news broke.

Good news for inst'l buyers and retail more comfortable with listed stocks.

Larso3
12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Funny in a not too funny way - I bought MCP at 14.02 in August and sold at 28.00. I moved the profits into AVL (was AVARF.PK), but damn, I should have kept MCP and just put new $ into Avalon.

Must be a good market when 100% in less than 2 months wasn't the right trade. No real regrets really, that would just be greedy. Another move like today and I'd be happy to take profits on AVL (leave the house money in).

Ten bears
12-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Ive been out of the loop ever since BringTheGold got banned but Ive been watching the RE stocks.

Molycorp has been going bonkers lately. I bought @ $22 and sold around $32 or $34, thinking I was smart. Today it broke $50!!! whatsgoingon???
I had a feeling that this one would climb big quick, when it went public. It did, I had no dry powder to act then. Still may be a bargain.

TB

Tensegrity
12-28-2010, 12:41 AM
To all you arriving thread visitors here, at what was once a busy beehive of excellent investing info on the rare earth element sector, I am sad to inform you that an outbreak of moderator induced colony collapse disorder has struck here and taken another victim. The hive has been effectively abandoned.

This comment may well be deemed inappropriate, but I am still compelled to make it.

Now that my 2nd favorite of the only five forums here at Kitco to which I ever paid any real attention seems to have been effectively been NUKED off the face of the site by what, in hindsight, might be deemed excessively heavy-handed moderation to accommodate the desires of a few to the detriment of the many, I must say that I do not appreciate the disappointing disappearance result that has been produced. If grades were to be given out for the actions of Kitco moderators, in this case, I would have to issue an "F" to all those who were involved in the decision process that essentially destroyed this thread.

-Tensegrity

Hackswell
12-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Avalon is on a tear again! Bouncing between 6.75 and 6.90 most of today so far, with a high of 7.18. That's up 72% 5 trading days ago! (6.90 / 4.00)

Go REEs and associated companies! :D

Larso3
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Anyone here like TASMAN (TASXF.PK)? It's a Scandinavian company with some good results in Norra Karr. Warning: It's over 100% in the last quarter...though that's not all that crazy considering how REE's have been performing.

Norra Karr is believed to be the only NI43-101 compliant REE deposit in mainland Europe. The project demonstrates a range of features that may facilitate near term development: <<

Excellent infrastructure, with roads, power and water at site and active
rail and port facilities in close proximity.

Sweden is a mining friendly jurisdiction. Large mines operate within
90km of the site, providing a skilled local work force and mining
related contractors;

Numerous intersections of mineralization are greater than 100m true
thickness, which begin at surface and remain open at depth. The
inferred Mineral Resource comprises a large mineralized volume amenable
to shallow open pit mining;

An unusually high proportion of high value heavy rare earth oxides
(HREO). This Mineral Resource estimate shows HREO/TREO consistently
exceeds 50%;

An unusually high proportion of yttrium and dysprosium, two rare earth
elements in scarce supply and strong demand. The base case Mineral
Resource estimate shows Dy2O3/TREO averages 4.8% and Y2O3/TREO averages
35.1%;

Initial work by Dr Tony Mariano suggest REE's are concentrated in one
mineral only (eudialyte), allowing focused metallurgical research and
potentially simplified processing;

Norra Karr is unusually low in uranium and thorium relative to peer
company projects. The mine site will not require any special permitting
or monitoring for radioactivity, and transport of concentrates will not
require radioactive permitting. Uranium and thorium in the base case
Mineral Resource estimate average 14 ppm and 7 ppm respectively;

Disclaimer - I hold TASXF.PK (CB at $1.50)

The information contained on this post and from any communication related is for entertainment and information purposes only.
I am not providing any legal, financial or other advice and I am not making any recommendation or endorsement as to any investment, advisor or other service or product or to any material submitted by third parties or linked to this website. In addition, I am not offering any advice regarding the nature, potential value or suitability of any particular investment, security or investment strategy.
The investment and services mentioned on this website may not be suitable for you. If you have any doubts you should contact an independent financial advisor. In particular some of the investments mentioned may not be regulated under the Financial Services Act 1986 or at all and the protection provided to you under this Act will not apply.
The material on this website does not constitute advice and you should not rely on any material in this website to make (or refrain from making) any decision or take (or refrain from making) any action.

shortstack
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
SHZ is up 68% today... why?! Just because China is slowing exports of Rare's by 10%?! I was looking at SHZ at 5 bucks yesterday and it's closing in on 10 today...

At least I bit down on some REE before the run... :p

airbil
12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
To all you arriving thread visitors here, at what was once a busy beehive of excellent investing info on the rare earth element sector, I am sad to inform you that an outbreak of moderator induced colony collapse disorder has struck here and taken another victim. The hive has been effectively abandoned.

Actually, FWIW, the thread lives here now:
http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2583&start=800

Gwyde
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
snippet:
Toyota is also planning on developing a new battery to replace the current industry standard of lithium-ion as well. These new magnesium-sulfur batteries can potentially hold twice as much energy as their lithium-based counterparts–as much as 4,000 watt hours/liter of electricity according to Toyota engineers. According to some sources, Toyota does not believe that lithium can really be a viable power storage device for cars on a mass scale and that better alternatives will need to be developed in order to truly bring electric cars to the masses. “Going from nickel-metal hydride to lithium ion, you essentially double the energy capacity,” Jeffrey Makarewicz said. “Lithium ion theoretically, under ideal conditions, has a capacity of about 2,000 kilowatt hours.

full article:
http://etfdb.com/2011/will-toyotas-plans-sink-rare-earth-metal-etfs/

migold
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Hope some of you have been holding Great Western. Another one of BtG's great calls. More than doubled over the last month. Now that it has acquired 70% in Rareco and is one of the only soup-to-nuts RE companies outside of China.... a 5:1 reverse split for major exchange listing or buyout by a major would not be out of the question. Thanks BtG where ever you are...

------------------
TORONTO, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Shares of Great Western Minerals Group (GWG.V) rose as much as 12 percent on Monday after the company said it had raised its interest in Rare Earth Extraction Co (Rareco) to 70.2 percent.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based Great Western is in the process of buying out South Africa's Rareco to secure control of the Steenkampskraal mine.

Steenkampskraal is a small, but very high-grade, rare earth deposit in South Africa that was previously mined in the 1950s and 1960s.

"The next step is really continuing to push forward hard with Steenkampskraal to get it into production as soon as we can," said Great Western's chief executive, Jim Engdahl.

The rare earth explorer and processor plans to have a feasibility study for the mine done by the fourth quarter of 2011, followed by construction in 2012.

Great Western currently buys rare earth oxides from China and processes them into metals and magnet alloys at its facilities in Britain and the United States.

Once the Steenkampskraal mine and separation facility are online, Great Western will be one of the few non-Chinese firms to both mine and process rare earths.

China produces over 95 percent of the world's rare earths, which are used in electronics such as smartphones and hybrid cars. The Asian nation has cut export quotas over the past few years, sending prices of the individual oxides soaring.

Great Western made an all-cash offer in September to buy the 79.2 percent of Rareco it did not already own, and now holds 33.5 million of the South African company's 47.8 million outstanding shares. The offer is open until Feb. 28.

Steenkampskraal is fully permitted for its 20-year mine life. Great Western expects to get licensing to store thorium, a radioactive byproduct of the mine, by the end of February.

Shares of Great Western were up as much as 12 percent at 84 Canadian cents on Monday on the TSX Venture Exchange, before easing to 82 Canadian cents, for a gain of 9.33 percent. The shares have risen 93 percent in the past 90 days. (Reporting by Julie Gordon in Toronto and Arnika Thakur in Bangalore; editing by Rob Wilson)

litemine
02-01-2011, 02:21 AM
CLQ
A new Canadian Lithium mine being developed, high quality and lots of it.
Close to a mining town VAL-Dor in Quebec
dyodd, happy investing:cool:

bidie
02-01-2011, 03:01 AM
CIN.V has been trading in the mid .50's range for about a month now-
-assays are due from the drilling they did at their Carbo property one of these days soon---- it is right next to a world class rare earth find called Wicheeda which is owned by Spectrum Minerals=

stjdavis
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems China is setting up reserves for REEs. Look for Britian, Russia, USA, and Japan to start doing the same.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.a1f3243ab58c6b6ab6455cbca444375 9.a91&show_article=1

RRE_newbie
02-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi,

I am new on here, and I have been on the sidelines for a while before dipping into the REE mania. I like to thank the main contributes of this thread for sharing there research and view on this sector. I came a little late to the party but still I am quite pleased with AVL and GWG. I am also holding some Ucore but it definitely lacks performance so I might trade them in for more GWG if they continue trading sideways this year. Unlike others, I am fairly bullish on the RRE sector as I am sure by the time these mines come online, China has reduced its quotas to effectively nil and actually may become an importer of this stuff. The other thing, it is likely new fields of application may be discovered by then adding to the demand. At this point I am not too afraid of Toyota or others to develop a REO-free motor.
In my books REO is the new Gold :D :D :D

I also like AKL.AU, but have not yet committed to buy, altho I am very tempted to do so. Right now I am undecided, get more AVL or put some into AKL. If someone likes to share an opinion on that, please do so.

Good luck

bidie
02-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Assays are due out for company CIN.V -very soon I hope

They have drilled 9 holes next to the Wicheeda discovery in British Columbia-

We have been patiently awaiting results- Wicheeda is considered a world class discovery so hoping the Carbo property owned by CIN is going to continue the magic-

I own shares in Carbo-

RRE_newbie
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Ucore did well for the last couple days, so as AVL, GWG lost some of it gains, I guess some profit taking going on there.
Man CIN got hammered today, I guess 4% TREO is not enough...

Ag gnostic
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Molycorp & the Mountain Pass mine was mentioned in this month's National Geographic.

BagOfGold
09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Has started his new REEs thread over at TF Metals Report!!!...:) :) :)

Bag Of Gold

BC_Gold_Guy
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Bag Of Gold

Thanks for the update! They are getting slaughtered right now. Might be a good time to buy soon...unless they are going lower.

BC_Gold_Guy
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Bag Of Gold
thanks for the update! The REE stocks are getting slaughtered and im looking for a good entry point.

fl57caveman
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-grants-license-aussie-rare-earth-plant-131350176.html

first new rare earth plant outside of china in a long time