PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping for silver...

latemetal1
09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Turned in some aluminum cans and will be buying silver tomorrow. This works out to 38 pounds cans = 1 ounce silver.:cool:

everything1
01-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Aluminum is up, I wonder what that would be in silver now.

LeadHead
01-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Aluminum is up, I wonder what that would be in silver now.

Took me a minute to realize that was a reply to an old thread. At first I was like "Huh???" Then I was like "Ohhh!":cool:

everything1
02-20-2021, 04:30 PM
I so wish aluminum was worth it to scrap, I never got anything substantial for it, 10-25 cents lb. tops. Always see people bring cans in. Looks like it's getting to be time for a trip to the scrap yard for copper though.

yellowsnow
02-20-2021, 05:23 PM
I so wish aluminum was worth it to scrap, I never got anything substantial for it, 10-25 cents lb. tops. Always see people bring cans in. Looks like it's getting to be time for a trip to the scrap yard for copper though.

don't bottle depot pays more for pop cans than from scrap yard?

LeadHead
02-22-2021, 08:51 AM

I have just recently gotten .46 U.S. per lb. for extruded aluminum. In the past (can't remember how long ago) I have gotten as much as .60 U.S. per lb. for aluminum cans.

bronkster1967
02-22-2021, 02:30 PM
Wow, that seems really low to me. I get that aluminum is a base metal, but as Yellowsnow just asked, can't you return the bottles to a beverage center or supermarket or bottle/can return and get minimum of 5 cents each? I believe that some states (assuming you live in the US) even have 10 cent deposits. I just searched online and they seem to say that it takes 31 to 32 aluminum cans to equal 1 pound which would equal $1.55 or $1.60 minimum ( obviously more so/double in states that pay 10 cents). I'm not being critical, but I'm wondering why you're getting less than 1/3 of what you could be getting. Or maybe I'm not understanding something? Like costs to melt it down or something? Just asking for me (not a friend)...

heypoolboy
02-23-2021, 12:55 AM
If you have that option. Here in WA, we don't have bottle/can deposit but all the cans sold here are marked with CA, OR, and other state deposit amounts. I could gather them up, drive to Oregon, and turn them in there (and Oregon is a 10 cent per can state). You'd need a lot to make it worthwhile (2.5 hr drive). I also don't know if they verify residency for large transactions. Finally, I think the can can't be crushed to get the deposit. So damaged/crushed go to the scrap yard and the volume that takes is much less. I tend to crush my cans. Hard habit to break.

bronkster1967
02-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Ahh. I get it. Even the cans/bottles we have here in NY State have CA and OR and 10 cents redemption stamped on them. But I also believe that it's state law that you can be charged with a crime for redeeming the deposits from a different state. I mean, I don't think there's a can police (yet), but with a large enough transaction, it'd probably be smart to at least give them a call before making the trip. You aren't allowed to crush them here, either. If you do, no dice. You won't get your nickel. Funny thing is, if you insert bottle or cans into the many machines that accept them, they do just that. They crush the aluminum cans and break the glass bottles and shred the plastic ones.

LeadHead
02-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Wow, that seems really low to me. I get that aluminum is a base metal, but as Yellowsnow just asked, can't you return the bottles to a beverage center or supermarket or bottle/can return and get minimum of 5 cents each? I believe that some states (assuming you live in the US) even have 10 cent deposits. I just searched online and they seem to say that it takes 31 to 32 aluminum cans to equal 1 pound which would equal $1.55 or $1.60 minimum ( obviously more so/double in states that pay 10 cents). I'm not being critical, but I'm wondering why you're getting less than 1/3 of what you could be getting. Or maybe I'm not understanding something? Like costs to melt it down or something? Just asking for me (not a friend)...

My state, nor none of the surrounding states have those "can bounties". All you can get is whatever the scrap yard will pay. Trust me, 60 cents per pound is hella good money for cans. Right now, they are only bringing .35 per pound. When I first started saving cans, back about 1990, you could only get like 14 cents a pound!