PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest recession you've been in?

Got Goldies
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
This one is the longest for me since its been going on since OCT of 2007. Almost 3 years.

2000 was a walk in the park.

Back in 1992 the DOW went ballistic.

I don't remember anything in the 80's. It was all cake for me.

AvergageJoe
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
This one... Who knows how long it will last... :(

II DALTON II
08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
It's gonna be a depression. Some forecasters and economists are saying we are in for at least 5 years of hard times. Some even say 20 years.

Got Goldies
08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm going to remain in liquid assets and I will watch wealth get transferred to me as the price of everything collapses. The Great Depression is the longest?

Ag gnostic
08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
How is recession defined, anyway?

I thought a recession was not entered until you had 2 quarters of negative GDP growth. I thought the recession was exited with 2 quarters of positive GDP growth.

Did they re-define the terms?

The worst one for me was the early 90's recession.

Silken
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
does it matter since we came off the gold standard?!?!?

its fiat based.,. and an illusion to boot!:)

Got Goldies
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
does it matter since we came off the gold standard?!?!?

its fiat based.,. and an illusion to boot!:)

Does this finally prove that a deflationary crisis can occur with a fiat system? I want to see prices of homes collapse to $19,000.

Silken
08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Does this finally prove that a deflationary crisis can occur with a fiat system? I want to see prices of homes collapse to $19,000.

they already have GG.., location within our borders is the only indicator.. a housing crash in NY.,. is not the same as a housing crash in Michigan

II DALTON II
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM

So do I lol. That would be amazing for people of my generation! One of the biggest problems (in the UK at least) is the under 30s not being able to afford to buy their first home. The average age for a person to leave home over here is now 25! The way everything is going that average will probably rise to 30.

CaptainTripps
08-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Location, Location, Location. Some places the prices have fallen like that but the houses are trashed and the neighborhoods have gone to crap. Where Im at house prices have steadilly risen. No boom, no bust here.

Hardasset75
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm going to remain in liquid assets and I will watch wealth get transferred to me as the price of everything collapses. The Great Depression is the longest?

me too GG .... if land ever falls in that boat, I will be ALL IN:)

RFID trumps
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
This one is the longest for me since its been going on since OCT of 2007. Almost 3 years.

Longest recession and leading to depression, that's easy, for nearly 20 years non stop...My hair line:)
But this is the longest economic recession I can think of. What if that speed bump since March '09 was just one big distortion in the long term perspective? The calm before the storm? I have a feeling a lot of campaigning is about to sway the markets, almost looking for one more distortion, stuffed with fresh fiat. But then again, the debt just may be unsustainable, and that idea of "Too Big to Fail" may be put to the test. Things are getting funky out there, better than any who dunnit book.

Got Goldies
08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Longest recession and leading to depression, that's easy, for nearly 20 years non stop...My hair line:)
But this is the longest economic recession I can think of. What if that speed bump since March '09 was just one big distortion in the long term perspective? The calm before the storm? I have a feeling a lot of campaigning is about to sway the markets, almost looking for one more distortion, stuffed with fresh fiat.

What is the problem with the economy?

Nobody can afford these high prices so they will deflate. There is no reason that a home in CALIF, built in the 60's, should cost more than $20,000.

zostar
08-20-2010, 01:59 AM

same here Got Goldies, same here.

But this one has no end in sight yet, the end horizon is still as

yet undefined, and un determined, and so it goes ...:eek:

MoMoney
08-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Funny thing is that I saw an article the other day that listed the worst recessions/depressions through USA history.
It seemed like they seperated many short recessionary periods in the late 70's thru early 80's.
To me, it felt like one big, long, serious recession.
Anyone remember lines at the gas station then...crazy system of odd # license plates getting petrol on certain days?! Ugh!:o