PDA

View Full Version : Why should I buy palladium instead of platinum? Or shouldn't I?

Copperhead
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Why should I buy palladium instead of platinum? Or shouldn't I?

Chemist
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM

Not instead! Purchase both palladium and platinum. You can also add gold and, if you have change left, a few ASE.

never enough
08-04-2010, 09:03 AM
One word: diversification

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-08-2010, 09:03 AM
as an industrial metal Pd has the advantage. from a supply standpoint Pd has an advantage of possible restraints. from a looks standpoint Pd is more purdy!

:D

Got Goldies
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Palladium isn't worth $500. It looks exactly like Silver.

Copperhead
08-08-2010, 05:46 PM

True (AS FAR AS LOOKS GO), but has it the industrial price potential to reach heights similar to platinum?

Rhobo2
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
That's GG's way of saying it will be 650 by years end.:)

Copperhead
08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
That's GG's way of saying it will be 650 by years end.:)

From what I know of it $650 or $350 is a possibility. ;)

145bluesman
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM

You can almost buy a red toolbox with two ounces. I hope to buy at least three by Jan1 2011

Auric6
08-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Pd is similar in weight and luster to Ag, but in addition to many other amazing properties, it doesn't tarnish and is much stronger with a higher melting point.
Perfect for durable jewelery where weight is a consideration.

HeathKit
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Actually, Pd is a far more durable catalyst than Pt, as it is less easily poisoned. It is also considerably more active in almost all hydrocarbon applications. Palladium should be the standard, and not platinum. I think Palladium is probably quite a bit rarer than Platinum as well. According to Merck Index, it may be 10 times (one order magnitude) rarer than Pt. This does not translate to a $15,000/Oz price for Pd for so many reasons. When you mine for metal, you generally aquire more than one element, with one metal paying, typically, for some of the acquisition costs of another metal.

Copperhead
08-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Pd is similar in weight and luster to Ag, but in addition to many other amazing properties, it doesn't tarnish and is much stronger with a higher melting point.
Perfect for durable jewelery where weight is a consideration.

I understand Pd is used in the white gold making process.

Actually, Pd is a far more durable catalyst than Pt, as it is less easily poisoned. It is also considerably more active in almost all hydrocarbon applications. Palladium should be the standard, and not platinum. I think Palladium is probably quite a bit rarer than Platinum as well. According to Merck Index, it may be 10 times (one order magnitude) rarer than Pt. This does not translate to a $15,000/Oz price for Pd for so many reasons. When you mine for metal, you generally aquire more than one element, with one metal paying, typically, for some of the acquisition costs of another metal.

Could the fact that Pd is more rare than platinum is the reason why it isn't used more in catalyst?

Thank you both for helping to feed a hungry student of palladium more information. :)

Gcubed
08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I hold palladium because I don't believe that Americans are going to accept commuting in golf carts. The internal combustion engine still has life. ;)

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
i disagree that it looks like silver, it has almost a blackchrome luster.

it is also incredibly hard and pure silver is much softer.

its mass is much higher than silver.

Copperhead
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I hold palladium because I don't believe that Americans are going to accept commuting in golf carts. The internal combustion engine still has life. ;)

How about Pd's fuel cell technology for the future?

Gcubed
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
How about Pd's fuel cell technology for the future?

Just another plus in my book. ;) I consider Pd to be a better long term bet than silver.

Blake Mitchell
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Because during the most recent rally from late 2008 to April of 2010 palladium went from $160 an ounce to $560 an ounce, up 350%. While platinum went from $800 to $1750 or 211%. Palladium had the potential for greater gains even if one wasn’t a timing genius.

However the percentage of decline from the April 2010 highs was 17% for palladium and 12% for platinum based on today’s prices (August 11).

Platinum is for traders and palladium is for even more gutsy traders.

merlinsword
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Y E S . . crunchin' those numbers very nicely ! !

Thing thats been buggin me is HOW to resist "weekly trading" both ag , and pd . . . the ol' option game

I am not a 'gutsy' guy anymore : I WAS a gutsy guy 50 yrs ago when a
monkey throwing darts could have made money

Both metals are ping-ponging too much to ignore much longer

HeathKit
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
i disagree that it looks like silver, it has almost a blackchrome luster.

it is also incredibly hard and pure silver is much softer.

its mass is much higher than silver.

Well, I do agree with your 1st two statements. Only the third needs some correcting. Silvers density = 10.49 g·cm−3, while Palladiums density is 12.023 g·cm−3. Palladium is ~ 12.76% denser than silver, so I wouldn't characterize this as having a mass "much higher" at all. Just marginally higher, or moderately higher.

But I am totally with you about the black chrom lustre. Is is what sets Pd apart, and makes it such an incredibly beautiful metal to behold. Palladium is iconic. One day it will surpass platinum in price per troy z. JMHO.

savagegoose
08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
i have $500 Pd. in my e-gold account., one day i hope to be able to s3ell it

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, I do agree with your 1st two statements. Only the third needs some correcting. Silvers density = 10.49 g·cm−3, while Palladiums density is 12.023 g·cm−3. Palladium is ~ 12.76% denser than silver, so I wouldn't characterize this as having a mass "much higher" at all. Just marginally higher, or moderately higher.

But I am totally with you about the black chrom lustre. Is is what sets Pd apart, and makes it such an incredibly beautiful metal to behold. Palladium is iconic. One day it will surpass platinum in price per troy z. JMHO.

:D

much, is a relative term!

to my eye, one ounce of palladium is MUCH smaller than silver.

JOMHO!

i can see we think alike.

ahguahgu
08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
You got your info wrong.

Pt is more durable than Pd as far as CAT is concerned. And rarer.

People are not stupid. Pt sell at 1500 and Pd at 500.

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-13-2010, 08:27 PM
"1850s

In 1869, Graham had a number of medallions minted in what he believed to be an alloy of palladium and hydrogen, which he called hydrogenium
The 1850s began with a notable new partnership. George Matthey was successful in negotiating an arrangement with one of the Russian mine owners to be the sole platinum refiner and selling agent. One of palladium’s most important properties was discovered as a result of researches of Thomas Graham, London chemist. In 1854, he was investigating how red-hot platinum absorbed hydrogen and discovered it could do so for an indefinite period of time, and no other gases produced the remarkable effect. Turning to palladium, he found that it could absorb 5 or 6 hundred times its own volume in hydrogen. When exposed to coal gas, only the hydrogen penetrated the palladium. This decade also saw considerable improvements in the achievement of high temperatures for melting metals. In France, the use of coal gas and oxygen in blow pipes were investigated, and using crucibles of lime or magnesia, achieved some success with platinum. Using these principals, Frenchmen Deville and Debray devised a process to refine native platinum and filed patents in France and Britain in 1857. The British rights were immediately acquired by George Matthey."

:confused:

goldgoeswhere
08-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Scarcity of platinum v palladium varies wildly based on the source, anywhere from Pd being 3x occurrence of Pt, to Pt being 15x the occurrence of Pd.

As to which is more effective in cats, do you really think cat manufacturers would be going out of their way to use a metal that is typically 3-5x as expensive if they had an alternative?

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-16-2010, 04:45 AM
As to which is more effective in cats, do you really think cat manufacturers would be going out of their way to use a metal that is typically 3-5x as expensive if they had an alternative?

and you know this how?

;)

bubbagyro
10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
PT and Pd are both good buys here. Pt has yet a way to go until the $2200 ceiling of a couple years ago. Pd has tested and beat the recent high and should go to $750. I like Rh here—it always lags the other three and the upside is the moon. All in all, I would buy Rh, Pd, and Pt in that order, and be a net seller of Au and Ag to get the grubstake to do this.

Bruce7Trader
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
and you know this how?

;)

From what i hear the Canadian mint will stop production of PD coins in 2011 for your information but will continue to produce PT coins..

I get my PT from Japan in many types of Chains.

I currently have a PT1000 chain that comes from Japan it's total weight is 101grams i can only say one things wow and again wow it's my best looking chain ever and actually in the airport the security said wow nice silver chain you have hahahaha!!!!

b7t:eek:

Find one even close to this and you should get a prize. I asked the other day to see the PT chains at Birks hahaha what a joke@@@ and they said if you want the best they can get you can order some as high as PT 900 hahaha as in stock all they have is PT 850.....

Well i thought i should rub this story hard here in the PD and PT thread...:p

been a hard day for those that just did some buying in PM shares or physical don't worry the JPM of the world are about done.

Mrpublic
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Just another plus in my book. ;) I consider Pd to be a better long term bet than silver.

From a technology standpoint, I think you are right about it being a better long term bet, but that is already priced in. From a monetary perspective, I think silver is more likely to be accepted.

bubbagyro
10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Ag is going to reach near term resistance soon, but long term is still a buy.
Much more profit picture in Pd and Pt. Pd has no overhead technical resistance, since it just closed above near-term resistance of $580, until $1200. Pt has no tech resistance until $2200. SO I favor Pd here with 100% profit future from today.

OldWest
10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Ag is going to reach near term resistance soon, but long term is still a buy.
Much more profit picture in Pd and Pt. Pd has no overhead technical resistance, since it just closed above near-term resistance of $580, until $1200. Pt has no tech resistance until $2200. SO I favor Pd here with 100% profit future from today.

Well put, bubbagyro. I say let it ride.

zartan
10-13-2010, 01:26 PM
not sure if this has been mentioned but very interesting for those here. if you do not want to read it, the largest russian producer of the pd said last weekend that the russian stock would run out next year. thus reducing supply while demand continues. this is huge news. enjoy
http://www.platinum.matthey.com/media-room/news-room/russia-s-palladium-stocks-to-finish-next-year/800108421.html

American
10-13-2010, 05:21 PM
That article is "Nothing but a Good Time." Palladium will continue to have higher highs and higher lows. Enjoy the ride.

monedas
10-14-2010, 08:57 AM
.......about 10 years ago when the Russians stopped shipping for awhile ! Platinum, in sympathy, hit $2000 ! $600 is relatively way cheaper than silver right now ! Remember, all the panicky new money will go to gold and silver first because they don't "know no bedda" !:)

monedas
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
.........of a stinky catalytic converter ! Jewelry or cold fusion or something nicer !:mad: