PDA

View Full Version : Excellent read on PD guys

Carssman
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
http://ca.us.biz.yahoo.com/iw/100106/0574439.html?.v=1

Fantasic bullish favour for PD in the coming months to a couple years.

We may see that 1100 dollar palladium yet..

Bang!!

never enough
01-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Keep in mind this is a press release from Stillwater Mining Company so they might not be all that objective.

That said, I'm quite pleased with my recent Pd purchase from a couple of months ago and welcome all news on the topic -- so thanks for posting the link. :)

Forest
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
The best thing about palladium is that I would have no problem letting go of it.

It's not particularly romantic or beautiful. Its just metal. I was a little disappointed when I first received my Suisse Pamps. But investment wise, its the best.

Gold, for centuries it has made men desperate and poor, criminals, crazy eyed. I got my first Mexican gold. Terrible investment for me. Why? I am never letting go of it. Some child will probably sell it when I am dust to buy a boat they'll abuse.

marscrumbs
01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
The only way they are ever getting my palladium away from me is by prying my cold fusion fingers off of it.

goldiebob
01-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum (PL-FT1,561.002.600.17%) and palladium both hit their highest in more than a year on Wednesday, lifted by expectations new exchange-traded products backed by the metals will shortly be launched in the United States, and hopes for a recovery in car demand.

Over half the world's platinum and palladium supply is consumed by carmakers for use in catalytic converters.

Volkswagen said on Thursday its Chinese sales rose more than a third last year, while Ford's China vehicle sales jumped 44 per cent in 2009. The company said it is aiming for strong growth this year.

MT Freeman
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum (PL-FT1,561.002.600.17%) and palladium both hit their highest in more than a year on Wednesday, lifted by expectations new exchange-traded products backed by the metals will shortly be launched in the United States, and hopes for a recovery in car demand.

Over half the world's platinum and palladium supply is consumed by carmakers for use in catalytic converters.

Volkswagen said on Thursday its Chinese sales rose more than a third last year, while Ford's China vehicle sales jumped 44 per cent in 2009. The company said it is aiming for strong growth this year.

Does China (and India) require catalytic converters?

Carssman
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Not as strict yet, But with all the emission standards nowe and them becominh a global player.. Hell ya

marscrumbs
01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
If they all start driving electric cars they won't need catalytic converters.

a793aa
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
But then....

Who is going to be able to afford an all-nighter charge to your electric car from your houses electrical outlet.....only to use for a range of 100 miles the following day? Imagine what your home electric bill will be, plus what the high costs of these electric autos will be when they come out. It will be a trade off vs. gas fillups.;)

Mrpublic
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Delphi do catalytic converters (http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/history/00-04-25/b08-delphi.html)
By Zeng Min

BUICKS produced by Shanghai General Motors will be equipped with locally made catalytic converters.

This is another milestone in the co-operation between Shanghai General Motors and automotive component supplier Delphi Automotive Systems in bringing high level technology to China.

Shanghai Delphi Emission Control System Co, Ltd, a joint venture between Delphi Automotive Systems and Shanghai Guozhong Industrial Company, will start official operations in the Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone in May this year. The company will supply domestic-made catalytic converters to Shanghai GM.

The Buick produced in Shanghai meets the current and future national emission requirements. By replacing the imported catalytic converter with the local product, Buick will continue to lead in terms of emissions control in the Chinese market.

Catalytic converters can efficiently reduce pollutants such as CO, HC and NOx from automobile exhausts, cutting the pollution from cars significantly.

Since China adopted the Euro 1 emission standard in January 1999, engine management systems and catalytic converters have become a must for domestic cars to meet emissions standards.

Catalytic converters fitted on all major domestic passenger cars are now imported.

Shanghai Delphi Emission Control System Co, Ltd is the first venture in China capable of producing the catalytic converter.

Catalytic converters made by Shanghai Delphi Emission Control System have passed stringent tests, and meet the requirements of Shanghai GM as substitutes for imports.

Copyright 2000 by Shanghai Star. All rights reserved.

Mrpublic
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Emission standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_standard#China) (Wikipedia)

China

...China enacted its first emissions controls on automobiles in 2000, equivalent to Euro I standards. China's State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA) upgraded emission controls again on July 1, 2004 to the Euro II standard[6]. More stringent emission standard, National Standard III, equivalent to Euro III standards, went into effect on July 1, 2007.[7] Plans are for Euro IV standards to take effect in 2010. Beijing introduced the Euro IV standard in advance on January 1, 2008, became the first city in mainland China to adopt this standard.[8]...

India

Main article: Bharat Stage emission standards

[edit] Background
The first Indian emission regulations were idle emission limits which became effective in 1989. These idle emission regulations were soon replaced by mass emission limits for both petrol (1991) and diesel (1992) vehicles, which were gradually tightened during the 1990ís. Since the year 2000, India started adopting European emission and fuel regulations for four-wheeled light-duty and for heavy-dc. Indian own emission regulations still apply to two- and three-wheeled vehicles.

Current requirement is that all transport vehicles carry a fitness certificate that is renewed each year after the first two years of new vehicle registration.

On October 6, 2003, the National Auto Fuel Policy has been announced, which envisages a phased program for introducing Euro 2 - 4 emission and fuel regulations by 2010.

-------------------------------------------------

This nis for passenger vehicles. Both India and China require emmission controls for other vehicle types also. For a description of the Euro standards, see:

European emission standards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards)

MT Freeman
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I knew somebody would know the answers. Thanks. It's something to consider. The way they went all goofy in Copenhagen they'll probably start putting pollution control devices on just about everything that burns fossil fuels. I read Obama claimed we'd cut our emissions by 50% by 2050 or something which would actually put us at 1871 levels.

MT Freeman
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
OK I was wrong it's 83% reduction of 2005 levels by 2050. What are they smoking in the White House dude!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-cap-and-tradefeb27,0,5872133.story

dissident
01-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Here's a huge market... only a matter of time before they do regulate small engines like lawn mowers as they put out much, much more pollution then cars because of the lack of sufficient measures to prevent it.

http://landscaping.suite101.com/article.cfm/lawnmower_emissions_regulations

Lawnmower emissions

On Tuesday, April 17, 2007, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a new proposal that sets strict standards for most lawn and garden equipment and small recreational watercraft. These proposed small engine rules should bring big emissions cuts to the United States.

"From the largest locomotives to the smallest lawn mowers, EPA's current and planned clean air regulations will continue environmental progress, keeping the air cleaner than a generation ago," said EPA Acting Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum.

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA.) saluted the EPA’s draft rule and decision to implement California’s small engines emissions reduction target nationwide. CA's small engine rule went into effect in January 2007, after EPA granted CA a Clean Air Act waiver in December 2006.
Groundbreaking Proposal

What makes this EPA draft rule significant to landscape gardeners?

Manufacturers will use catalytic converters for the first time on lawn and garden equipment, and small watercraft. Catalytic converters will allow equipment to adhere to the new exhaust emissions standards. The EPA determined after rigorous analysis and extensive work that such modifications were feasible and safe.

Read more at Suite101: Lawnmower Emissions Regulations: Proposed by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) April 17, 2007 http://landscaping.suite101.com/article.cfm/lawnmower_emissions_regulations#ixzz0c0kMzYFT