PDA

View Full Version : Rhodium bullion round

PiVi1962
05-27-2009, 02:32 AM
It seems that someone has found a way of minting coins in rhodium: 1 gr coins are on sale from May the 21st, 2009.
Here are two links to the news:
http://www.platinum.matthey.com/media_room/worlds_first-ever_rhodium_bullion_coin_arrives_19181446.html
http://goldandsilverblog.com/coming-soon-rhodium-bullion-coins/

Brier
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.rhodiumcoin.com/ Bit pricey, but it is physical.

BC_Gold_Guy
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY Interesting.

I thought Rodium was very Toxic?

kudos to Cohen Mint. I thought their Silver Gram coins were silly, but they are now in my good books for their Rodium feat.

I wouldnt mind a few of them.

What do you guys think of the price? 99 bucks for a gram....? I guess there really isnt any other option.

Brier
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I had to pick one up myself.

BC_Gold_Guy
06-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Cohen Mint claims to be the first to make a Rhodium coin, but I hear these guys have been making them for over a year:

http://www.americanelements.com/rhmbcn.html

no idea how much these guys charge though....

tedbylar
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Cohen Mint claims to be the first to make a Rhodium coin, but I hear these guys have been making them for over a year:

http://www.americanelements.com/rhmbcn.html

no idea how much these guys charge though....

I had been trying to find rhodium coins since rhodium was in the 900's. I emailed these folks, and received a response the other day:

> We are producing 3 coin sizes and one bar form. The coins are 1
> gram, 5 gram
> and 10 gram sizes and the bars are one (1) troy ounce. The cost
> of each is:
> $98.90 per gram. If you'd like to order, simply reply with the
> number of
> each size you are interested in.

Still a little pricey, 2-1/2 X spot or so. They emailed me back and said that if I was buying for investment, they could supply rhodium other than coins, ie, a Wholesale Rhodium Bar. Have not followed up, but would be a little cheaper if you can spend several thousand, I guess, since I expect the "WRB" to be more than an ounce.

BC_Gold_Guy
06-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I had been trying to find rhodium coins since rhodium was in the 900's. I emailed these folks, and received a response the other day:

> We are producing 3 coin sizes and one bar form. The coins are 1
> gram, 5 gram
> and 10 gram sizes and the bars are one (1) troy ounce. The cost
> of each is:
> $98.90 per gram. If you'd like to order, simply reply with the
> number of
> each size you are interested in.

Still a little pricey, 2-1/2 X spot or so. They emailed me back and said that if I was buying for investment, they could supply rhodium other than coins, ie, a Wholesale Rhodium Bar. Have not followed up, but would be a little cheaper if you can spend several thousand, I guess, since I expect the "WRB" to be more than an ounce.

hmmmm...Thanks for the info.

So they are the same price, Cohen Mint and American Elements. 99 per gram.

I wonder if you get a discount (cheaper than 99 per gram) for an ounce bar/coin. If not, isnt it better to buy the smaller increments?

What do you mean by "WRB"?

I think those Cohen Mint coins are more "recognizable" though since they are an actual mint and are getting a lot of press for their Rhodium coin achievement.

captbilly
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY Interesting.

I thought Rodium was very Toxic?

kudos to Cohen Mint. I thought their Silver Gram coins were silly, but they are now in my good books for their Rodium feat.

I wouldnt mind a few of them.

What do you guys think of the price? 99 bucks for a gram....? I guess there really isnt any other option.

The price is crazy, it would work out to over $3000 per troy ounce, unless you just have to have a piece of rhodium for your collection. As an investment it is completely impossible to justify paying that price.

As to your comment about rhodium being toxic, my research indicates that rhodium is essentially as inert at gold or platinum. Rhodium is considered to be completely non-toxic. Certain rhodium compounds are toxic, but that is true for virtually every non-toxic element. You can make highly toxic coumpounds from hydrogen and carbon (hydrocarbons, the basis for a huge number of plastics, and solvents, and fuels and oils, etc.) but neither carbon or hydrogen are toxic.

BC_Gold_Guy
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
The price is crazy, it would work out to over $3000 per troy ounce, unless you just have to have a piece of rhodium for your collection. As an investment it is completely impossible to justify paying that price.

http://www.rhodiumcoin.com/Rhodium_Coin_Media_Coverage.html

Q: I read the quotation for the spot price of Rhodium on
Kitco's website and it appears to me that you are charging
somewhat more than the spot price. Why is that?

A: This is a common one. Yes, its true that Kitco publishes a daily
quotation for Rhodium, it is an approximate quotation, and what is printed
below near the bottom of the page is what many people miss.

"Fabrication costs for various precious metals products are not included"

Being incredibly difficult to work with (see above) and being that a wholly
new manufacturing process had to be created to make coins out of
Rhodium the fabrication charges are quite high. We try and price our
product as low as we can, and we do absorb as much of our own cost as
possible when you buy in bulk. It really is a pain in the tush to manufacture.

MaxGravy
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
It really is a pain in the tush to manufacture.

That must be technical talk, lol :eek:

dumbnbroke
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
the only problem I have with Cohen is that their coin is in reality NOT the first rhodium bullion coin. American Elements was selling bullion coins last year. I'm not even sure that AE's coin was the first but it did come before the Cohen.

Carssman
06-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes you are right about that. AE has sold Bullion Rhodium for quite sometime. Not rounds though. Actually I Inquired about there bullion bars and this is what they wrote me.. Enjoy! Oh i was also inquiring about Iridium

At present we are minting 2 oz bars/ingots of rhodium; no iridium. If you
would like to purchase in units of this weight bar, please advise. Current
cost is approximately $5,800 per bar. Rhodium Bars are the least expensive
way to actually take title to rhodium metal. Each bar is marked with the
purity (.999 Fine), quantity in grams and a registration number specific to
that bar which is helpful in establishing chain of custody. You also will
receive a Certificate of Assay for the bar confirming the purity.

WOW what a deal!!!!!! That$$$2900 an ounce. well I guess if anyone wants to own a stake in Rhodium,,,, Ya no!! that wayy too much