PDA

View Full Version : Anybody See 60 Minutes and the Segment On Cold Fusion?

MyBids
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks pretty good for PD

CarRide
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Just watched it, awesome! I always suspected that it was swept under the rug!

MyBids
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I really feel bad for the guy who 1st announced it. I believe the story said he
was associated with the University of Utah at the time. He was basically run out of science.

Hrysophilos
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
seems like cold fusion works to produce excess electricity, but it only works in a random and unpredictable manner...60 Minutes report said that the pentagon is commissioning several research projects on cold fusion...this is big news...Palladium may all of a sudden become a strategic reserve metal

a793aa
04-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Previous testing caused unproducible results, with some thinking on how you prepare the Palladium before the cold fusion testing. Also, lots of indecision on how to measure the energy or heat created during the testing.

Overall, the US governament has agreed on a broad statement that ongoing cold fusion testing has created increased heat, based on testing though DARPA funding.

COLD FUSION IS HOT AGAIN- Incase you missed it:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4955212n

Palladiumhasnoenemies
04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
this is getting very interesting if it comes to pass palladium will be untouchable!!! we are talken about a Demand that has never been seen ever!!!!! i 4one am willing to buy 200oz in this after all we all take a chance on pm but i have seen Nothing that come close to what this may mean:eek:
Previous testing caused unproducible results, with some thinking on how you prepare the Palladium before the cold fusion testing. Also, lots of indecision on how to measure the energy or heat created during the testing.

Overall, the US governament has agreed on a broad statement that ongoing cold fusion testing has created increased heat, based on testing though DARPA funding.

COLD FUSION IS HOT AGAIN- Incase you missed it:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4955212n

ProfessorHortengle
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Extrapolate ahead what happens if cold fusion can be made feasible. How would virtually free energy affect the price of everything?

SUMOSABE
04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The one comment that I found interesting is that they said that they think the quality and or the way the Palladium was made / refined had an impact on the energy results in their experiments.........

adams684
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Extrapolate ahead what happens if cold fusion can be made feasible. How would virtually free energy affect the price of everything?

That's a very good question Professor. Surely it would have to bring the price of production way down, which would then lower the cost of the merchandise, but what does it do to a man's wage?

Palladiumhasnoenemies
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Are you kidding me you think that because its cheaper to produce that tey will give you a break ya right! you will hane no choice you will pay what they charge just like now funny you guys are :o
That's a very good question Professor. Surely it would have to bring the price of production way down, which would then lower the cost of the merchandise, but what does it do to a man's wage?

Ag gnostic
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Land would be one of the things that would increase in (immensly) price, I extrapolate. The price of most other things should go down radically, I think.

The price of the fuel source would probably skyrocket, though. I didn't see this report. Was it speculation on the possibility of cold fusion from palladium fuel, mostly?

insidedealer
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Land would be one of the things that would increase in (immensly) price, I extrapolate. The price of most other things should go down radically, I think.

The price of the fuel source would probably skyrocket, though. I didn't see this report. Was it speculation on the possibility of cold fusion from palladium fuel, mostly?

It wasn't palladium fuel so to speak. It was palladium reacting with deuterium(a very common element found in seawater) that caused the cold fusion. The science was a little further along than speculation....but cold fusion according to that story is nowhere near becoming a practical energy source.
To buy palladium based on it's value in cold fusion technology sems like a gamble that could pay off. But when? 1 year or 100 years? I did find it interesting that the Pentagon has some high level interest according to the story. There's undoubtedly more to this technology then is being reported.

Obediah
04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Just watched it, awesome! I always suspected that it was swept under the rug!

Yeup, allot A stuff under the Area 51 rug these days.

Heruur
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Here is one outstanding theory i found on the internet...

Basic reaction is this: Palladium + Deuterium creates a coordination compound or solution roughly with the formula Pd-D2. This material is the basis of many a hydrogenation reaction or a rather convenient method to store or purify hydrogen gas.

Pd-D2 can undergo a phase change when pressure is applied and form a transient METALLIC alloy with the same formula. The METALLIC bonding allows the electrons that keep the deuterium as a molicule to freely move about, creating electron/deuteron cloud conditions similar to that found in plasmas.

If there happens to be a strong electric or magnetic field present some of the deuterium nuclei will undergo a quantum mechanical effect called tunneling and coordinate within the capture radius of each other and fuse.

In lab experiments the electronic and or magnetic fields are weak and not polarized in a focused way so you get spurious pulsed fusion reactions.

Perhaps the reaction rate will be rather improved if, say one creates a suspension of very fine deuterium saturated particles of colloidal palladium in pure deuterium oxide. Then put this mixture in a conformal focused field EM gradient coil at the center of a symmetrical parabolic explosive shape charge...

The energy output may well be , what was it again, over unity... maybe...

If it works at all the reason it has been suppressed is it may well work as a BOMB. Imagine a nuke with fractional to possibly a few KILOTONS that a geeky nerd with angst could build for a few hundred bux.

:eek:

bignug
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Here is one outstanding theory i found on the internet...

Basic reaction is this: Palladium + Deuterium creates a coordination compound or solution roughly with the formula Pd-D2. This material is the basis of many a hydrogenation reaction or a rather convenient method to store or purify hydrogen gas.

Pd-D2 can undergo a phase change when pressure is applied and form a transient METALLIC alloy with the same formula. The METALLIC bonding allows the electrons that keep the deuterium as a molicule to freely move about, creating electron/deuteron cloud conditions similar to that found in plasmas.

If there happens to be a strong electric or magnetic field present some of the deuterium nuclei will undergo a quantum mechanical effect called tunneling and coordinate within the capture radius of each other and fuse.

In lab experiments the electronic and or magnetic fields are weak and not polarized in a focused way so you get spurious pulsed fusion reactions.

Perhaps the reaction rate will be rather improved if, say one creates a suspension of very fine deuterium saturated particles of colloidal palladium in pure deuterium oxide. Then put this mixture in a conformal focused field EM gradient coil at the center of a symmetrical parabolic explosive shape charge...

The energy output may well be , what was it again, over unity... maybe...

If it works at all the reason it has been suppressed is it may well work as a BOMB. Imagine a nuke with fractional to possibly a few KILOTONS that a geeky nerd with angst could build for a few hundred bux.

:eek:

Yikes! It's time to ban Palladium and sea water! A Peedy Deetoo Bomb? :eek:

MT Freeman
04-21-2009, 09:33 PM

I think this is really the main question. It doesn't matter if it's made from Pd or from table salt. There are outside forces that could very well keep a breakthrough like this buried. Part of me likes to agree with the Pickens Plan that we need to stop sending a trillion a year or whatever out of the country to places like Iran and Venezuela as soon as we can. On the other hand how much of our infrastructure would absolutely collapse if energy became next to free. That's an unlikely philosophical world of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek where people no longer are obsessed with personal wealth. Someone is still going to want to profit and get rich and someone is going to have to pay for the energy. We can only hope that the damn Saudis aren't the ones that end up holding the patent on something like this.

Fiz
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
I posted something like this the last time "cold fusion" was floated past our noses, and it is still the only rational way to deal with it -- and in this case, it's not my "humble" opinion, but one formed through direct experience -- over some four decades of doing research in the same area of nuclear physics that underlies the phenomenon they are trying to re-discover for the nth time.

If you want to invest in it, do so only because you think that a bunch of folks with money to burn will think it's a real and will bring cheap, abundant energy to the peoples of the earth, and that they will drive the prices up, and that then, you will sell before the whole house of cards once again collapses.

We've been there and done that before. I have no doubt it will be back again and again, of course. We still see perpetual motion machines in the news every few years, for example. And yet, the laws of thermodynamics are still intact.

The "bomb" has already been invented and tested -- it's called the hydrogen bomb. It takes enormous temperatures to get it started. "Cold" fusion just won't hack it.

Mats Wheellander
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
For the western world this is a make or break.

Either we lead the new energy era or we are as good as finished imo.

Fingers crossed.

MT Freeman
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
For the western world this is a make or break.

Either we lead the new energy era or we are as good as finished imo.

Fingers crossed.

What I thought was interesting was that the 60 Minutes story had them going to an Israeli lab to examine the experiment. I'd have no problem with Israel discovering this. They are about as independent on Arab oil as it gets.

On the whole, no one needs to go all in for Pd just yet. Just keep stacking a bit and keep your fingers crossed.

Mrpublic
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
BTW, people are talking about a Pd reaction. Basically (as far as I understand), Pd is not consumed. The reactions they talk about are really mechanistic representations.

The Pd acts as a matrix, much like as in Pd membranes for fuel cells. It is more like a catalyst then a reactant. Pd just happens to have the right molecular structure to allow the deuterium to undergo the process which creates the free energy (just like it just happens to allow hydrogen- very close to deuterium) to pass through it as in hydrogen membranes.

If interest in cold fusion research increases, as well as simultaneously fuel cell (i.e., hydrogen membranes) research, then holding a little palladium is not a bad idea. Pd has a lot of potential in all kinds of alternative energy applications because of its excellent ability to act as a catalyst, and just happening to be the near ideal hydrogen sieve.