PDA

View Full Version : q re: Saint-Guadens Palladium impact

DebaseThis
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
This is my first post so hi everyone... I'm curious about what long-time followers of the coin/bullion trade think will happen once the Saint-Guadens Palladium coin becomes available?

First, am I correct in my understanding that these coins *will* be produced for 2010? (i.e. is there any wiggle room for the mint not to issue this coin or does the fact that the high-relief gold SG indicate that, barring some new development, these coins will be produced?)

Assuming these coins come on the market as scheduled, I'm curious what folks think will happen to the existing Palladium Maple Leaf coins and other bullion bars re: premiums and desirability?

goldiebob
01-17-2009, 09:40 PM
I used to have a lot of Stillwater Palladium coins that I dumped when the
Maple came out thinking folks would prefer a Government mint coin.
Now I see they are trading at huge premiums, more than Maples.
I have sold them on eBay for close to 100% over spot.
Recently you will see the fractional coins going for 10 times spot.

Also, don't count on that coin being made for sure. The mint announced
in the fall they were cutting way back on what coins they mint now.

I believe the mint must us US sources of the metals they mint.
The big impact would be on Stillwater mining, which I believe is the only
source of domestic palladium.

DebaseThis
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
I appreciate you sharing your experiences with your Stillwater coins. I've been starting to acquire a little Palladium with prices at current levels and guess I won't get too bent out of shape over the premiums being asked right now (though I won't go overboard either, with premiums being what they are)

goldiebob
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I appreciate you sharing your experiences with your Stillwater coins. I've been starting to acquire a little Palladium with prices at current levels and guess I won't get too bent out of shape over the premiums being asked right now (though I won't go overboard either, with premiums being what they are)

I am always hunting for the best Palladium buy. Lately it as been
Tulving.com price on 10 oz Palladium bars. They are nice.
he has a 20 oz min. He sometimes drops premium to $19 to $29.
Over that I would wait.

NWT Mint has good pricing but 14 week delivery. I would avoid that option.

BobbbJ
01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
First, am I correct in my understanding that these coins *will* be produced for 2010? (i.e. is there any wiggle room for the mint not to issue this coin or does the fact that the high-relief gold SG indicate that, barring some new development, these coins will be produced?)

One thing I've learned is that the US Mint has no shortage of 'wiggle room' on anything. I believe what I see when it comes to them issuing anything. I, for one, truly hope they do actually issue these coins next year, but I'll believe it when I see it. JMO of course.

MT Freeman
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM
We talked about this back a couple months ago. Maybe we could bring the thread back. I'd love to see ths HR Pd coin. I just ordered one of the goldies a few minutes ago.

DebaseThis
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
One thing I've learned is that the US Mint has no shortage of 'wiggle room' on anything. I believe what I see when it comes to them issuing anything. I, for one, truly hope they do actually issue these coins next year, but I'll believe it when I see it. JMO of course.

That's a good point and, after more thought, it really won't matter if they release it if they are charging the same types of premiums they are for the Au SG as I'll stick with other types of Pd investments. I'd love to see it at a reasonable premium but I am prepared to pass on it if it doesn't make economic sense.

MT Freeman
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
That's a good point and, after more thought, it really won't matter if they release it if they are charging the same types of premiums they are for the Au SG as I'll stick with other types of Pd investments. I'd love to see it at a reasonable premium but I am prepared to pass on it if it doesn't make economic sense.

For me though I'd love to see a coin appear out there that would have a little more numismatic value than we do with the private label stuff. NWT Mint isn't a gov't mint. They make nice stuff but it just isn't the same. US Mint Palladium doesn't have to be just High Relief, I'd be happy to see a Palladuim Eagle. Nothing wrong with PAMP bars and the like ... I've got lots of that stuff. I'd like to see Pd attract more collectors not just industrial and bullion buyers. Just my 2 cents.