PDA

View Full Version : For Platinum 1/4 Eagles...

Elevatorguy
01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
...are any years more desirable than others? This question relates to bullion coins. If a seller cannot guarantee what years the coins will be, is it advisable to still buy based solely on spot price?

Thanks

rstones199
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
...are any years more desirable than others? This question relates to bullion coins. If a seller cannot guarantee what years the coins will be, is it advisable to still buy based solely on spot price?

Thanks

If you are dealing with the proofs, then the year might matter (2004 and 2005 are worth more than the other years). If you are dealing with straight bullion, then the year doesnt matter.

oklabrow
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I would not assume only the proof plats will be rare. If you go to the web site for the US Mint you can get the mintages on non proof fractionals from the years of '97 thru '05. Some of the mintage numbers are low.
Then, consider the price run to almost $2400 last year. I sold at least $60,000 worth of fractionals to the smelter folks myself. I even heard of 170 proof sets getting scrapped and melted. Some of the coins are hard to find now and everyone thinks they are being hoarded, but it might be lots are gone. I would guess there are some bullion fractionals that are just as rare as some of the proofs. Check the starting numbers from the mint and do a little research. Good Luck