PDA

View Full Version : Rhodium - ouch

AllthatglittersisPD
10-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Sucks to be in Rhodium right now. It was around 10k back in late spring. It's now under 2,500. Lost 23% today, and around 75% since late spring. Ouch.

BC_Gold_Guy
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
does anyone have any physical rodium? Is it really toxic?

the only way to invest is with a pool account, I think? right?

AllthatglittersisPD
10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes, very toxic and carcinogenic. Pool accounts are the only way I know of to invest in it. I wonder where the bottom's going to be. A 75% haircut in 6 months is massive! WIth something like that though, car sales have to be healthy which I don't see happening for years. I have some PD just because there is so much potential for it beyond the automotive industry.

spankthatbass
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I remember when I got into PMs.. Rhodium was like 10,500 or so. First thing I thought of was... that is a train wreck waiting to happen. $10,500 for one ounce of metal.....LOL!

chromedream
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I remember when I got into PMs.. Rhodium was like 10,500 or so. First thing I thought of was... that is a train wreck waiting to happen. $10,500 for one ounce of metal.....LOL!

Anyone know why it was so high, and now so low?

dc dalton
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Anyone know why it was so high, and now so low?

Rhodiums main use in in the auto industry for catalytic covertors, also used to plate jewelry .... need I explain why so low?

jayspizzy
10-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Rhodium was a great ride for whoever invested wisely in it. From 350/oz to 10,500 and oz in four years. Nice.

Probably one of the reasons it catapulted was that the Russia stopped producing in the late 90s when their economy collapsed, just in time for our SUV producing credit boom.

chromedream
10-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Rhodiums main use in in the auto industry for catalytic covertors, also used to plate jewelry .... need I explain why so low?

Catalytic convertors, Now it makes sense- as Platinum also is tanking, it's almost equal to Gold.

Maybe it all makes sense, Industrial uses: Platinum, Rhodium, and Silver are all undervalued, whereas Gold, a true store of wealth for 5000 years has maintained itself for the most part, albeit still under valued. Maybe Silver spot is doomed afterall. I dont see $20 silver in the near future unless a real SHTF scenerio

jayspizzy
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Catalytic convertors, Now it makes sense- as Platinum also is tanking, it's almost equal to Gold.

Maybe it all makes sense, Industrial uses: Platinum, Rhodium, and Silver are all undervalued, whereas Gold, a true store of wealth for 5000 years has maintained itself for the most part, albeit still under valued. Maybe Silver spot is doomed afterall. I dont see $20 silver in the near future unless a real SHTF scenerio

I don't necessarily agree. The automotive industry is not restricted to the US. There is still a great demand for cars in Asia. Also, silver has many other uses worldwide, like jewelry, photography, computers and cell phones. Thirdly, investment demand is skyrocketing and can compensate for recessionary dip in industrial demand.

What drives the silver price this low is the false paper price, not industrial slump. The physical price is just not reflected in the numbers yet.

Khufu2k
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM

It's toxic but you can use it to plate jewelry?

Can someone explain me because a lot tell that you can't have rhodium bar because it's really toxic and carcinogenic.:confused: :confused:

Gallium
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Can someone explain me because a lot tell that you can't have rhodium bar because it's really toxic and carcinogenic.:confused: :confused:

In pure form it is not toxic. But compounds containing Rd, tend to be toxic. So don't let your Rd plated ring react with anything.

dc dalton
10-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Yup I have a ring on my finger that is Rhodium plated ... now where this person got the toxic is beyond me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium

AllthatglittersisPD
10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Down another 24% today. That's almost 50% in two days. If it were to fall another 24% tomorrow, would anyone buy? I don't think I would, but it sure would be tempting.