PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Outlook

Frank
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Can someone has any idea when the Platinum will begin to rise again ? This metal is very votatile, at the very distance and remote view, it begin to move.

silver_surfer
09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Can someone has any idea when the Platinum will begin to rise again ? This metal is very votatile, at the very distance and remote view, it begin to move.

I'm looking for platinum to reach it's historical 1:1 ratio with gold again.

Then I will buy back in. Probably around $600 or so.

muhamor2
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM

With the same rates Pt won't go any lower than $1300/oz. In worst scenario it might take couple of years to go higher than 2200.

Don't even think to jump off of Platinum at this moment because as you said it's violent. It goes down faster and would go up faster.

If you do a reaserch; short term is a gamble, nobody can predict anything because Pt is also very well manipulated.

SilverBar2007
09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not a Pt guy but...

since 90% is used in the auto industry... mostly ours because of our regs on exhaust (but not MPG) then since the auto industry is still in free-fall, shouldnt that mean that Pt will continue to fall until there is a bottom in the auto market?

Which happens after these are bottomed out first:

1) Housing prices
2) Financials
3) Stock market
4) Consumer spending
5) Credit
6) Inflation worries

muhamor2
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not a Pt guy but...

since 90% is used in the auto industry... mostly ours because of our regs on exhaust (but not MPG) then since the auto industry is still in free-fall, shouldnt that mean that Pt will continue to fall until there is a bottom in the auto market?

1) Housing prices
2) Financials
3) Stock market
4) Consumer spending
5) Credit
6) Inflation worries

I'm somehow a Pt guy mostly.

What you mentioned are the reasons of the last month's fall.
There are plenty of other reasons for Pt to go up not this month though.

PdAgAu
09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm not a Pt guy but...

1) Housing prices
2) Financials
3) Stock market
4) Consumer spending
5) Credit
6) Inflation worries

Can't Pd be substituted for Pt though? You also have to take into account the 100's of millions of future consumers in China and India who get their first car.
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.identifyhepatitis.com/gold.gifhttp://www.identifyhepatitis.com/gold1.gif http://identifyhepatitis.com/silver2.gif"Those entrapped by the herd instinct are drowned in the deluges of history. But there are always the few who observe, reason, and take precautions, and thus escape the flood. For these few gold has been the asset of last resort." Antony C. Suttonhttp://www.identifyhepatitis.com/silver.gif

igorcarajo
09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Can't Pd be substituted for Pt though? You also have to take into account the 100's of millions of future consumers in China and India who get their first car.

I don't know about China and India, but there are third world countries where catalytic converters are not mandated by law, so I wouldn't assume that just because the China/India auto market will grow, demand for Pt will also go up.

johndaniels
09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know about China and India, but there are third world countries where catalytic converters are not mandated by law, so I wouldn't assume that just because the China/India auto market will grow, demand for Pt will also go up.

if they want the option of selling them in america: they will need pt!

Coldtrader
09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
if they want the option of selling them in america: they will need pt!

Huh? We're not talking about a Chinese car brand..

In either case, I don't the chinese magically being able to afford all these considering if there is a worldwide recession, I don't know who china is going to import to.

Goldrat
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't know if this can give any clues or anything, but...
I live in scandinavia, and has for the last ten years, because of a 'volatile' economy never had a car. All I can say, that with increased taxes and gas-prices, I have never seen so much people in trains and busses (woe me...). Still... ...people goes shopping for silly things like shoes and purses like never before. Personally I believe the car-industry falls through before the ladies stops shopping for irrelevant items. ;)

Mozart
09-04-2008, 04:06 AM
since 90% is used in the auto industry...

No, not 90%; it's slighly over 50%.

Can't Pd be substituted for Pt though?

No, in most cases, Pd cannot be subb'd in for Pt, as the industrial, scientific qualities of Pt greatly exceeds that of Pd and most other metals for the applications that Pt is applied to. Thousands of industrial applications find Pt to be an indispensible metal for which there is no viable substitute; in some cases, Pd can be subb'd for Pt, but such cases are rare.

It's nice to see Pt shoot up in a $100-intra-day trading burst upwards. Been a while since that has happened. Now if we can have five straight days of such kinds of shots upward with steadily-higher closing prices...quick, somebody, go throw some see-4 into some of them Pt mines...<strictly creative licence here, mind you>

MiamiFlorida
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Personally, I expect Pt and Pd to continue downward from their fragile positions. The two metals, typically moving in extreme opposite to each other with regard to price, have not found a comfortable bottom. At this point, both are highly speculative purchases. Too many variables still operating, and before we'll see polarization of prices, we'll need to know where the direction the auto and energy markets will take.

Will American auto sales improve, will developing nations adapt to or be able to afford use of catalytic converters. And I'm sure that, in the back of your mind, you ask "will the world begin to move toward auto's using an electric drive system". The other big question is, what will be done with fuel cells, and how large of an impact will they have on replacing the existing infrastructure.

Saw something in another post regarding Peak Oil, Lindsey Williams provides evidence that there is, in reality, a Non-Energy Crisis... interesting
to hear what he has to say:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147

johndaniels
09-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Personally, I expect Pt and Pd to continue downward from their fragile positions. The two metals, typically moving in extreme opposite to each other with regard to price, have not found a comfortable bottom. At this point, both are highly speculative purchases. Too many variables still operating, and before we'll see polarization of prices, we'll need to know where the direction the auto and energy markets will take.

Will American auto sales improve, will developing nations adapt to or be able to afford use of catalytic converters. And I'm sure that, in the back of your mind, you ask "will the world begin to move toward auto's using an electric drive system". The other big question is, what will be done with fuel cells, and how large of an impact will they have on replacing the existing infrastructure.

Saw something in another post regarding Peak Oil, Lindsey Williams provides evidence that there is, in reality, a Non-Energy Crisis... interesting
to hear what he has to say:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147

oil prices going down allows supply to build. I think its because the world learned to ration and reduce consumption. There wont be much motivation for alternatives if the prices stay down; and oil prices being kept at reasonable levels is very good for car makers. Not to mention emerging vehicle manufacturers abroad will want to preserve the option of US sales; why would they ignore the biggest market for cars? that means they HAVE to address pollution issues.

retro
09-05-2008, 10:16 PM
oil prices going down allows supply to build. I think its because the world learned to ration and reduce consumption. There wont be much motivation for alternatives if the prices stay down; and oil prices being kept at reasonable levels is very good for car makers. Not to mention emerging vehicle manufacturers abroad will want to preserve the option of US sales; why would they ignore the biggest market for cars? that means they HAVE to address pollution issues.

I'm afraid that governments will do what they always do and leave environmental matters in the capable hands of the markets. :rolleyes: