PDA

View Full Version : platinum future guess!

the elf
08-11-2008, 07:41 PM
whats your guess for the platinum value 5 years from now in the year 2013

i need some encouragement for the long run :(

Heruur
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
If you are planning to go that long keep it- you won't be sorry....

the elf
08-12-2008, 06:28 PM
yeah i plan on keeping for at least 5-10 years minimum

just try and forget about it but it just goes down and down each day

just have a horrible gut feeling it will never recover... at least not back to $2400+

ILUVPMs
08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
i think it could reach 4000 with inflation coming

refrep
08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
yeah i plan on keeping for at least 5-10 years minimum

just try and forget about it but it just goes down and down each day

just have a horrible gut feeling it will never recover... at least not back to $2400+

it will recover. platinum is a metal not so easily found remember. The dollar WILL continue to sink. The run up on the dollar is VERY temporary. Metals will soon make a brutal turn around and in my opinion will reach highs not yet seen... MO

Grimbles
08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey hey
I'm new here, so disregard the credibility of whatever I say :P
buut
I did hear that they've found a way to replace the platinum used in catalytic converters with silver.
I would think that would damage a huge chunk of platinums industrial potential , and degrade it's value several years down the road.

has anyone else heard about this? I hope I'm wrong to be honest :|

Mats Wheellander
08-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey hey
buut
I did hear that they've found a way to replace the platinum used in catalytic converters with silver.
I would think that would damage a huge chunk of platinums industrial potential , and degrade it's value several years down the road.

Less demand could mean less suply which could mean higher prices. Not saying It will but this sometimes is how it works on other commodities.

greasemonkeymann
08-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey hey
buut

yes i've heard they are trying to do it but the fact lies, NOTHING can replace PMGs when it comes to cats, the silver catalyzing/oxydizing isn't nearly as effective as the PMGs and melts much easier.

refrep
08-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Hey hey
buut

i heard this as well months ago. They are experimenting with silver in CC's in Diesel Cars. I haven't heard anythinig since. I have a decent silver stash so if this occurs rest assured I'll be happy... MO

Grimbles
08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah for sure
I've started stockpiling silver myself, not just because it's cheap, but because some people believe that by ratio it'll out perform gold in the long run

That's an interesting way to look at it though... that the price could actually go up if the demand and supply went down.
I was thinking that with lower industrial demand, all the demand and supply would be left up to investors, and I guess jewellery production, and because of our puffed up, over inflated economy, not too many people are buying platinum as a jewellery, and I doubt they will be for a while

that's how I'd see the price go down... but I guess there are a million different ways an event could happen... we do live in chaos

cheers

Mozart
08-17-2008, 01:44 PM
i They are experimenting with silver in CC's in Diesel Cars.

This old news of silver-in-place of diesel in cat converts is BS, fully debunked by AuFool of this forum. Do a search and find the posts in which AuFool listed the info that busts this shiat about silver in place of Pt in cats.

Frank
08-18-2008, 07:39 AM
it will recover. platinum is a metal not so easily found remember. The dollar WILL continue to sink. The run up on the dollar is VERY temporary. Metals will soon make a brutal turn around and in my opinion will reach highs not yet seen... MO

The point is when they will make a turn around. The recent crash is terrible.

AUfool
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
All it says is that money was authorized to begin study on a broad range of subjects, only a tiny itty bitty sliver of which has anything to do with silver in cat converters. And it's a very initial broad study...very preliminary.

Believe me, if silver at $13 had any chance to replace platinum at $1300, the auto industry wouldn't need the President to authorize funds for a study! The article was written for and featured on a silver-tout website. It's just not reality.

Like the rest of the "news" we read on the web and see on TV, it was designed to paint a different picture than science and physical reality supports. Please don't fall prey to that stuff.

Why do metal-heads seem to always think everything we read on a metals site must be absolute truth while we fade everything we read/hear/see in the rest of the media? :o

AUfool
08-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I've personally shed all but 6 ounces of my platinum and taken on 1000 ounces of silver and lots more gold at this point in time, so I'm not boosting Pt or downing Ag. I'm just trying to boost a reality-check on this matter.

I believe Pt will do fine over the next three to five years. But I now think silver and gold will do better. The serious battle is going to be in the monetary arena...not the industrial one.

Now if cheap high-density batteries that don't use any precious metals at all pop up...Pt and Pd will be in some trouble as electric cars will really take off, leaving no need for cat converters at all.

But that's going to take more than a couple of years. Silver could even find its way into exotic electric motors, as it does conduct quite a bit better than copper, reducing what are known as I-squared-R losses. But that's more applicable to low-voltage high-current designs and the smart designs will be using high-voltage 3-phase AC motors, so silver's conductivity advantage over copper won't be a factor unless copper and silver prices get a lot nearer to each other (God forbid).

jimmyje
08-19-2008, 12:56 AM
The point is when they will make a turn around. The recent crash is terrible.

The bottom is nowhere near yet. I don't know if it will bottom below $1000 but close to it. $600 for gold, $10 Silver.

AUfool
08-19-2008, 02:53 AM
The bottom is nowhere near yet. I don't know if it will bottom below $1000 but close to it. $600 for gold, $10 Silver.

So, Jimmyje, what do you figure to happen after these "bottoms"? Sideways for ten years? Another Bull? If they are truly bottoms you are calling (and I don't necessarily disagree with your numbers, although I'm a bit more optimistic) then it must be either sideways or up afterward, huh?