PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a Refiner to process my Converters.

Yspleez
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Hello, Oops, I just posted this in the Pallidium forum by accident, great way to start off as a poster huh? So here goes my second attempt. I truly enjoy everyone's thought/remarks on the PM market. I need some help! I am looking for a Refiner who will accept my Catalytic Converters and extract/refine the PMs out of them into buillion form for me. I know that they will charge a premium for this service, and I am willing to pay a fair price for a good product. I just cannot find the company I had tagged on my old computer's favorites. We scrap about a half-dozen cars a week and I have a decent pile of Converters stacking up. Any info or links would be appreciated.

Mozart
06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
So YOU are the dude who has been responsible for all the stolen cat converts in my neighborhood as of late! I want my converter back!<g>

I'm only joking about the stolen cat convert...knock on wood. I found some theft-prevention kits that use multiple steel cables -- that could work, mainly by making it more troublesome and time-consuming to remove a converter, as speed is of the essence with this kind of theft. I have an old '81 Datsun truck, so it may be pretty low on the target list for cat-convert thieves. Some of them may be druggies, but I bet that most of them just plain need the money in this tight, struggling economy.

Just curious...other than noting the vehicle being diesel/gas, is there a way to differentiate between Pt converters and Pd converters, or does it not matter?

tinhorn
06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
So YOU are the dude who has been responsible for all the stolen cat converts in my neighborhood as of late! I want my converter back!

It's no joke: http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=stolen+converters&FORM=MSNH . Man, this is nuts.

wildsilverback
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.recycalytics.com/ don't know them or about them they had an add here at kitco

joseg
06-24-2008, 06:53 AM
well it depends on how many you have, if its less than a hundread you could sell to a dealer like the one in the above post if however you want to get full value you need to send them to a recycler, I use BASF, (Frank.Ferro@basf.com) could inform you, to save on transport and decanning costs, open up the Kats with an angle grinder and pack only the honeycomb core
(sell the scrap steel to a scrap yard)

Rymkykut
06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Anybody knows, how many grams of Pt or Pd is in one converter?

joseg
06-24-2008, 07:18 AM
the grams depend on the size and make, to give an example a lot of 230 kilos of bricks gave 345 grams of plat 161 grams of pal and 46 grams of rhodium
shipping and processing was about $1,000

Yspleez
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I have tried e-mailing the companies mentioned and no one has responded. I would really like to get these converters processed, if anyone knows where or who does it, please let me know.

insidedealer
07-07-2008, 10:05 PM
the grams depend on the size and make, to give an example a lot of 230 kilos of bricks gave 345 grams of plat 161 grams of pal and 46 grams of rhodium
shipping and processing was about $1,000

When you say 230 kilos of bricks, do you mean the entire converter...or just the honeycombs you speak of? And how much would the honeycomb weigh? Thanks in advance.

joseg
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
When you say 230 kilos of bricks, do you mean the entire converter...or just the honeycombs you speak of? And how much would the honeycomb weigh? Thanks in advance.
cut open the kat and smash out the honey comb weight of bricks is as stated, sell the steel as scrap too

PawnPimp
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
What is the refining cost? Turn around for a settlement check? What percentage of of platinum and rhodium spot do they pay? How many grams of platinum can 1 catalytic converter approximatly have? (i know they all come in a different sizes)

Yspleez
07-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I am glad to see some interest heating up in this thread. I would really like to find a reputable processor. I want the precious metals, not the cash. So I need a platinum processor that will extract and refine for me. Keep looking people, I know there must be a good company out there!!

PawnPimp
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
i want the cash.

sgeiger
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I would befriend a coin dealer or jeweler, maybe an artist who makes silver jewelry; junk car dealers will know, but they might not confide in you as that is their baliwick. I was in a coin shop and mentioned melting coins. He kept changing the subject. It was obvious he wasn't admitting anything to this stranger. Melting scap isn't illegal. A small AU smelter (1 kilo) was listed on ebay. $800 was the asking. I wonder if that would be useful, for AU/AG. I know the melting point for PT is much, much higher and this little stove doesn't go there; I just thought I'd mention it.

Yspleez
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I did get a few replies, one company offers to refine my material for 20%, seems fair overall. I think I would have to de-can or open them all up for them. I did find a few companies that seemed to do this in the past but no longer do. I wonder why?

YellowChick
07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I posted a reply on your original thread last night, and explained the "why." Perhaps you could locate that reply?

When one processes their own, they don't have to deal with any refiners.

Megan "YellowChick" Rose

silvercoinboy
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I use BASF (The old Engelhard) in the UK for silver refining with excellent results. I would recommend them.

Yspleez
08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Help! I just lost several thousand $$ thanks to Rhodium's and Platinum's recent drop!! How do I get 500 pounds of catalyst to the UK? Do they have a place here in the USA? Someone has got to know a place here in the USA that refine's converters and will give me my PMs back. thanks....Larry

Freedom
08-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Sell converters here:
http://www.midsouthrecycling.com/

Price list for scrap converters:
http://www.midsouthrecycling.com/scrap_converter_price_list.html

nice pix:
http://www.catalytic-converters.com/

Northern Refineries:
http://www.northernrefineries.com/Platinum_Refining.htm

Hope this helps!

Goldeen
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.autocatalyst-recycling.umicore.com/catalyticConverter/

Goldrat
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow, so much PM's in that stuff?!
I have to go recharge my Dremel (tm)!
Where is my black BDU?! :cool:

PGMGOLDRECYCLER
09-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I did get a few replies, one company offers to refine my material for 20%, seems fair overall. I think I would have to de-can or open them all up for them. I did find a few companies that seemed to do this in the past but no longer do. I wonder why?

Hi YSPLEEZ: Contact Pierre marchand at PMR. E-Mail: pierremarchand.pmr@bellnet.ca These guys are located in Quebec. They will accept a minimum of 500 converters, grade them and pay according to type and PGM content. Alternatively you can de-can them and send a minimum of 1000 pounds of catalyst for refining and they pay according to PGM material recovered. Keep in mind that the more you send de-canned the better deal you will receive. I am not sure if they will return the metals to you. Foreign vehicles (Honda, Toyota, etc) have more PGM content than domestic (Chev, Ford, etc). Exotic ( Mercedes, Audi, etc) are worth a lot more. If you are in the US they normally pay for customs charges across the border and they can provide a hedge for pricing. Hope this helps.----JOE

PGMGOLDRECYCLER
09-13-2008, 07:56 AM
So YOU are the dude who has been responsible for all the stolen cat converts in my neighborhood as of late! I want my converter back!<g>

I'm only joking about the stolen cat convert...knock on wood. I found some theft-prevention kits that use multiple steel cables -- that could work, mainly by making it more troublesome and time-consuming to remove a converter, as speed is of the essence with this kind of theft. I have an old '81 Datsun truck, so it may be pretty low on the target list for cat-convert thieves. Some of them may be druggies, but I bet that most of them just plain need the money in this tight, struggling economy.

Just curious...other than noting the vehicle being diesel/gas, is there a way to differentiate between Pt converters and Pd converters, or does it not matter?
Most converters are referred to as three way. They normally have two bricks of catalyst. The first brick is treated with a combination Of rhodium and platinum to remove nitrous oxides from the air by converting it to nitrogen and water. The second brick is treated is treated with platinum and palladium to remove carbon monoxide by converting it to oxygen and water. If you ever see water coming out of the tail pipe of a car in front of you it means that the PGM`s are doing what they are designed to do. No two converters are the same unless they come of the same model and year. Domestic models (Canada and the US) have the least amount of PGM content. Hope this answers your question.---JOE

NAM LABS
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi YSPLEEZ: Contact Pierre marchand at PMR. E-Mail: pierremarchand.pmr@bellnet.ca These guys are located in Quebec. They will accept a minimum of 500 converters, grade them and pay according to type and PGM content. Alternatively you can de-can them and send a minimum of 1000 pounds of catalyst for refining and they pay according to PGM material recovered. Keep in mind that the more you send de-canned the better deal you will receive. I am not sure if they will return the metals to you. Foreign vehicles (Honda, Toyota, etc) have more PGM content than domestic (Chev, Ford, etc). Exotic ( Mercedes, Audi, etc) are worth a lot more. If you are in the US they normally pay for customs charges across the border and they can provide a hedge for pricing. Hope this helps.----JOE

PMR does not refine, they decan and assay material then send it to a refiner.
I believe they pay out 85% of the lot value..

But yes contact Peirre, if your quanitity is not large enough for the refinery