PDA

View Full Version : Check the weight of your Palladium

Commoner
06-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Many elements on the periodic table of elements absorb hydrogen, most are situated in the transition group metals. One element, palladium, can absorb up to 900 times its own weight in H2. Incredible as this sounds, it is a fact that 1 pound of palladium will hold 900 lbs of Hydrogen. That is the equivalent to having enough fuel to drive your average car across the U.S. several times.
http://www.slowmovingwater.com/hydrides2.htm
So you (or your dealer) takes an ounce of Palladium and puts it in an atmosphere (normal pressure) of hydrogen and you end up with 56 pounds of Palladium! Man, I am going to be so rich when I am finished jacking up my Palladium on hydrogen. ;)

MyBids
06-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Once you get hydrogen into PD how do you get it back out? I read somewhere that retrieving the stored hydrogen in the PD was a problem.

Commoner
06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Is the whole site that I linked a sick joke?:eek:

smutboy
06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
usealy a Hydride is more of spoge like matrix to it so it has more surface area. For the gas to asorbe. But they also need some pressure to push the gas in to the matrix. When pressure is let off it can come back out of the hydrid matrix.

Whats realy neat about them to is its not released instantly and needs to seap out of the matrix. so even if a tank ruptured it would not be and explosion. Because the gas is released slowly from the matrial holding it.

Inflatulence
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Commoner may have something here. If I subject 20 Palladium Maple Leafs to an atmosphere of Hydrogen, I could end up with a half-ton of Palladium I guess! I wonder if they need to come out of their plastic holders for this to happen? Wow, I could use a half-ton of Palladium right about now.

SilverNitrate
06-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I think its 900 volumes of H2. So 1 cubic foot of hydrogen weigh less than one gram. But anyways a one ounce Pd can't absorb not more than 1/10th gram thus making it only very much slightly denser.

Commoner
06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
See post 1-3 for more accurate information about Palladium and hydrogen:
https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=18277

The article that claims one pound of Palladium can hold 900 pounds of hydrogen in NOT CORRECT -- the web site is bogas.