PDA

View Full Version : Blackouts Power Platinum - Forbes

nevadagold
05-20-2008, 10:20 PM
This years J&M report was probably the most important one that I have read in my career. If I only had the balls and the bankroll, I would otherwise be 100% fully invested..

http://www.forbes.com/commodities/2008/05/20/platinum-shortage-Africa-markets-commodities-cx_mp_0520markets24.html

"In addition to constrained supply versus higher demand, high platinum prices were "further supported by a weakening U.S. dollar and a strong financial performance from other commodities including gold," said Johnson Matthey. The price rise "accelerated later in the year as the South African supply situation worsened. Buying of metal through exchange-traded funds intensified at the same time, removing liquidity from the market and adding to volatility and reinforcing the price rises." Platinum's price rose nearly 35.0% in 2007."

sgeiger
05-21-2008, 08:36 AM
My reading supports this. Short term it could be subject to a speculative bubble (just the ETF effect?), but long-term PT is under increasing demand.

nevadagold
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
No resistance in Pt until the $2300 high print. My best guess is that we can see $2700 on this run before a meaningful consolidation occurs. USDX looks ready to breakdown again in my view.