PDA

View Full Version : weakening dollar

golditiki2
09-17-2020, 02:58 PM
looking from this side of the atlantic, our euro and GBP are sclerotic, but WONDER, calamity euro is strengthening against the fdollar, which from my point of vieuw is a dangerous sign. Not wondering why the chinese are buying commodities. Deflationary prices in dollar and a weakening dollar is a double bonus.

something rotten in the state of USA.

Golditiki2+++

t00nces2
09-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Personally, I thought it would have collapsed a while ago. The world is falling apart, we all might as well fall apart together. TPTB are dying to do a reset and I have a feeling as long as Trump is re elected, they will have to wait at least another four years. I would also not be surpised if President Trump was able to renegotiate the terms of the dollar collapse into terms that would benefit the US and help shepherd the rest of the world through to a softer landing.

silverone
09-17-2020, 08:32 PM
looking from this side of the atlantic, our euro and GBP are sclerotic, but WONDER, calamity euro is strengthening against the fdollar, which from my point of vieuw is a dangerous sign. Not wondering why the chinese are buying commodities. Deflationary prices in dollar and a weakening dollar is a double bonus.

something rotten in the state of USA.

Golditiki2+++

Dude (IMHO) we are Sooo Screwed.
No Matter who Wins the stupid Election.
but, hey what do I know?
Back in 2011' I waited until 11-11-11 to convert my silver to Gold :rolleyes:

freeman50
10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
I'd say selections always have the influence to the currency no matter what choice we would do.

yellowsnow
10-07-2020, 09:47 PM
canada takes the cake on printing, and i don't know who's getting the dough
https://scontent.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/121128837_10157776040557379_4981593640805292626_n. jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=nEGvhUrRxV8AX_PpcB_&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=19be4ead8e79ab1aa22b9fef0688a5a5&oe=5FA42503

SilverPalm
05-08-2022, 10:19 PM
The DXY just broke though 104. The USD may be weak, but it is not the weakest. This is a 20 year high.

brutus2
05-09-2022, 01:20 PM
The DXY just broke though 104. The USD may be weak, but it is not the weakest. This is a 20 year high.

One thing for sure is that it is going to be a big concern for future profits of the US multinationals.
I do not hear much about this, but if you make a significant amount of your profits, in say Japan or in Europe, ( or in many other countries, to a lessor extent),
than when you convert them back to US funds, for reporting, it may not look pretty vs prior comparisons.

Perhaps just one of several reasons for these stocks selling off lately.

Also tough headwind for gold and commodities.

I am betting the toothless Fed will take the wind out of this trend by the fall. ( will stop QE tightening just after it starts, and moderates or ends rate increases based on
two quarters of negative growth ( another convenient excuse) or they will conjure up another one ( stock markets all in bear markets or more germs or climate change or war etc. )

golditiki2
05-13-2022, 02:31 AM
hihi, was just looking at the first input, dollar was weakening, I do not know what the ratio was at the time of writing, but today it is the opposite, the euro is tanking and big. I guess that the dollar and the euro might soon be 1:1 ?

Golditiki2+++

brutus2
05-15-2022, 12:26 PM
As of today the US dollar index is up 15.87% in past year.
This sounds very significant and potentially very negative to emerging markets.

Lets look closer. I chose to look at everything compared to Gold and based on 1 year period.

The US dollar is up 1.72% vs Gold.

Now look at the Bric nations vs Gold

Brazil - up 5.68% vs Gold
Russia - up 15.83% vs Gold
India - down 3.89% vs Gold
China -down 3.67% vs Gold

Average - up 3.49% vs Gold

They are faring collectively better than the US dollar vs Gold in the last year, despite the endless negative stories coming out of China, Russia and India about their economies and/or situations. Russia being the strongest currency with arguably the most negative press on its economy.

Meanwhile all you hear is the great US $ and the trash that is Gold, from the main stream press.

They should be singing the trash that is the Euro and the Yen, down 14.70% and 16.12% respectively in the last 12 months vs Gold.

brutus2
06-06-2022, 05:18 PM

Lets look closer. I chose to look at everything compared to Gold and based on 1 year period.

They are faring collectively better than the US dollar vs Gold in the last year, despite the endless negative stories coming out of China, Russia and India about their economies and/or situations. Russia being the strongest currency with arguably the most negative press on its economy.

Meanwhile all you hear is the great US $ and the trash that is Gold, from the main stream press.

They should be singing the trash that is the Euro and the Yen, down 14.70% and 16.12% respectively in the last 12 months vs Gold.

Update. Still the same picture, except Russia doing even better and Japan worse. BRIC countries still doing better ( collectively) than US dollar vs Gold in last 12 months.

Russia up 18.13%
Brazil up 7.47%
China down 2.04%
India down 4.20%
Average BRIC +4.84%

US $ up 2.15%

Pound down 11.06%
Euro down 11.17%
Yen down 16.95%

DXY ( dollar index) increased 13.8% last 12 months.

The DXY is just comparing fiat among the Vampire Club members.
Interestingly look at the total debt per person ( government/corporate/personal) among the BRIC countries vs the DXY members and you will know the rest of the story.

golditiki2
07-04-2022, 03:20 PM
got a shock, the swiss frank is now one euro. Incredible but true.... still a little push and the euro, dollar swiss frank and poundc will all be worth the same, then they can baptize their common money units the NATO ( new name for the common atlantic unit. That will be the future "single atlantic currency" .

Golditiki2+++

brutus2
07-04-2022, 07:28 PM

BRIC nations up average of 4.7% against US dollar while the main currencies of the DXY are down an average of 17%. As of today. 12 month roll.

I do not hear this on the business news narrative.

golditiki2
07-05-2022, 02:30 AM
BRIC nations up average of 4.7% against US dollar while the main currencies of the DXY are down an average of 17%. As of today. 12 month roll.

I do not hear this on the business news narrative.

well, some countries are standing because they are starched with bureaucrats. Ex.g. France has communities, cantons, departements, regions, the nations' government and the european bureaucratic organizations to feed that means a lot of people who live well. Not to speak about vital big companies which are nowadays " privatized ", but in reality held by the government and need to be subsidized year after year the sleek way in order to avoid monstruous strikes.

It means bigger and bigger need of money injections = bond issues nobody ever will payback. I.e money printing = deliberately inflating the currency value in order to "save" the starched system for the good of all.

Golditiki2+++

golditiki2
07-08-2022, 03:55 AM
just read that the french EDF is making such big losses there is talk about nationalizing ( again ) the company which is too big to fall ...

The german government is gonna buy another big energy group which is at the brink of going " pleite" ( insolvency ), so when energy dinosaurs are going that way, we know the medecine will be to rackeeert the taxpayer and cut the value of the euro, because all main european countries have the same problems. Actually we are everywhere in a yearly holiday mood so everybody is more or less lethargic to what is gonna happen. September will be the cruel awakening. Many won't find out they have no job anymore.

Be prepared.

Golditiki2+++

brutus2
07-08-2022, 09:40 AM
just read that the french EDF is making such big losses there is talk about nationalizing ( again ) the company which is too big to fall ...

The german government is gonna buy another big energy group which is at the brink of going " pleite" ( insolvency ), so when energy dinosaurs are going that way, we know the medecine will be to rackeeert the taxpayer and cut the value of the euro, because all main european countries have the same problems. Actually we are everywhere in a yearly holiday mood so everybody is more or less lethargic to what is gonna happen. September will be the cruel awakening. Many won't find out they have no job anymore.

Be prepared.

Golditiki2+++

It is a great time to be a politician or bureaucrat or a CEO of a multinational. No matter how bad you or your actions are, you will never have consequences.

You see, it will always be Putin`s fault

Miteysquirrel
07-08-2022, 09:48 AM
I cant comprehend massive inflation and a very strong dollar...my brain hurts.

golditiki2
07-09-2022, 04:12 AM
I cant comprehend massive inflation and a very strong dollar...my brain hurts.

Japan, UK and EU economies are probably "deader" than the US economy.

Golditiki2+++

brutus2
07-09-2022, 09:54 AM
Japan, UK and EU economies are probably "deader" than the US economy.

Golditiki2+++

Exactly Goldtiki2. Fiat currency valuation is relative against each other.

The US dollar is like a boat with the least draft going through a very shallow passage.
You may not make it, but I would choose it over the ones with greater drafts.
In this case that definitely would be the Yen, Euro and Pound, in my opinion and many others.

SilverPalm
07-12-2022, 09:20 AM
USD to Euro is 1:1 right now

ruthenium
07-17-2022, 11:02 AM
A little pullback on the dollar maybe as far as 106

https://www.tradingview.com/x/hLeCtOuE/

It may only make it to the green band.

ruthenium
07-17-2022, 11:40 AM
Brutus2 You might want to weight those changes by GDP when making a composite....when I do that I get down 1.2%

brutus2
07-18-2022, 06:25 AM
Brutus2 You might want to weight those changes by GDP when making a composite....when I do that I get down 1.2%

Fair enough Ruthenium.

Other than the strong showing of Brazil and especially Russia ( currency) being overly representative the point still remains the same. The DXY is not representative of dollar strength and it vastly
overstates it.

Since the DXY purports to measure a basket of currencies that the US trades with ( 83% of its weight is Euro, Yen and pound) while those 3 actual total trade with US represent only 23%, a much more representative
snap shot would be the following. ( China, Canada and Mexico represent 41% of total trade with US and all 3 are roughly equal in that trade so.

Country VS US vs Gold
Canada -3% +3%
Mexico -3% +3%
China -4% +2%

combined rounded -3% +3%

Euro -16% -10%
Japan -24% -19%
pound -16% -10%
average -19% -13%

The lower weighting of Japan as well as small weighting of Canadian dollar drags overall DXY towards -16% and -10% for weighted DXY

The net result is very similar except not quite as pronounced as my original assertion. That the US dollar is not up that much vs the currencies that matter the most ( major trading partners),
that Gold is actually up a lot against the weak sisters that compose most of the DXY, and that the mainstream press continues to exaggerate the relative real strength of the US dollar ( yes it is stronger but not
nearly as strong as the outdated DXY would indicate)

oak333
07-27-2022, 03:00 PM
China and Russia confirmed that they will create a new world reserve
currency, based on BRICS currencies.

https://www.silverdoctors.com/headlines/world-news/china-russia-announce-new-world-currency-this-is-the-historic-cashless-reset/

ruthenium
07-31-2022, 11:37 PM
see my 7/17 post this thread #20....it took the weaker path despite 75 bp rate hike....

https://www.tradingview.com/x/nSobBpP1/

hesitating...but not broken...interesting given the BRICS currency lack of coverage in main media....from the 7/17 post for comparison..

https://www.tradingview.com/x/hLeCtOuE/

golditiki2
08-26-2022, 02:14 AM
most of the world' old debt is in dollars i guess and some has to be paid back every year, so that will hurt all those who have now weak currencies. on the other hand collecting profits from those meager currencycountries will lower the profits of american companies whho fleece these today low currency coutries. Everything has two sides.

Golditiki2+++

SilverPalm
09-26-2022, 12:34 PM
DXY now above 114 & the pound is falling off a cliff. $1.07 when last I looked.

golditiki2
10-08-2022, 04:22 AM
One euro is now 97 us cents. We europeans do not need a sparring partner, we knock ourselves KO and we are proud of our actions, when knocking yourself KO y're also a winner, we are so strong our prime minister urges the ECB to QE !!!

Here in the North a lot of vegetables and other stuff are produced in heated locations, that cost is of course surging and yesterday somebody said a kilo of tomatoes will cost 15 euros. Already such greenhouse bred tomatoes are tasteless, and if they cost 15 euro a kilo ( little more than two Lbs ), they will be forced to eat them themselves.

We are still under the influence of our media drugs, the reality djinn will appear in the months to come.

Golditiki2+++

ruthenium
10-09-2022, 08:57 PM
https://www.tradingview.com/x/Ga8ks64S/

goldtiki2 as for warm veggies....switch to cooler ones broccoli and Kale

spinach instead of basil..

I just made some walnut basil pesto from my yard...but it will be spinach in the winter.. or Kale if it gets too cold...

SilverPalm
10-12-2022, 11:51 AM
Is it time to buy the chf?
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=CHF

According to these guys, the Fed just did -
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/funding-panic-imminent-fed-quietly-sends-31-billion-switzerland-swap-line

yellowsnow
10-12-2022, 04:06 PM
Is it time to buy the chf?
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=CHF

According to these guys, the Fed just did -
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/funding-panic-imminent-fed-quietly-sends-31-billion-switzerland-swap-line

even the rock solid swiss franc has been shook

SilverPalm
10-17-2022, 07:04 AM
Has the GBP come to a bottom against the USD???

SilverPalm
10-20-2022, 09:36 AM
CHF is back down to parity, after it's recent 10% premium. Is CHF now a buy?

ruthenium
11-04-2022, 10:16 PM
The CHF and the SNB got loans from the FED for some reason...not good.

If the Brits really do fiscal reform....and go gonzo on ALT fuels, maybe...but they need energy....

I plan to stay clear of the government issued fiats.....why not ETF Metal for the moment until things look really dicey...

Dollar toppy....but a geopolitical event could change all that....elections likely to strengthen dollar and equities on elections/day after. CPI lower would strangely be interpreted by the markets and gold as light at the end of the tunnel...inflation not dead....dollar weakening will re-ignite that.

If peace breaks out hit the buy button on everything but defense stocks and that is a snowballs chance before .... I think we got a dose of China's Covid recovery this week.. I would take that recovery to also dampen the dollar.

https://www.tradingview.com/x/1KIU2UbO/

ruthenium
02-17-2023, 07:51 AM
New bond FIRE??

https://www.tradingview.com/x/jL2h1igk/

PM Bug
03-10-2023, 11:14 AM
Jan 25:
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday that Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa BRICS countries will discuss creating a common currency at the group's forthcoming summit this August in South Africa.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/russian-fm-says-brics-group-to-consider-common-currency/2797085

Feb 8:
Following the decision by the BRICS countries to consider new members, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov claimed that "more than a dozen" countries have expressed interest in joining the economic group comprising Brazil, China, India, Russia and South Africa.

Although the foreign minister did not name the interested countries, it may be noted that Algeria, Argentina, and Iran have applied to join BRICS. They are not the only potential new BRICS members as Afghanistan, Egypt, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and Turkey are also interested in becoming members.
Nonetheless, BRICS members do share interests such as multipolarity and the potential for de-dollarisation. The five current BRICS members are considering a single common BRICS reserve currency, a potential rival to the US dollar and the IMF's Special Drawing Rights currency. This could enable BRICS members to expand their influence in the global financial system by offering an alternative global payment system.

For China and Russia in particular, the inclusion of new BRICS members supports their shared ambitions for a multipolar world and de-dollarisation. Both countries are eager to protect their interests from their geopolitical and geoeconomic rivalry with the US and avoid further sanctions.
For several potential members, various interlinked domestic crises need to be resolved before membership is possible. Meanwhile, for other potential members, regional rivalries need to be put aside to ensure membership.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/brics-expanding-to-saudi-arabia-indonesia-and-beyond-holds-promise-but-challenges-remain/ar-AA17fozE

Sounds like Iran and Saudi Arabia would need to resolve the 1,400 year old Sunni/Shia "regional rivalry" for the BRICS to consider them for membership. Now today:

Long-time regional foes Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to resume diplomatic relations and reopen embassies in each other's countries following China-led negotiations in Beijing, both governments announced via their respective state media agencies.

"As a result of the talks, Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to resume diplomatic relations and re-open embassies ... within two months," Iran's news agency IRNA reported Friday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/arch-rivals-iran-and-saudi-arabia-agree-to-revive-ties-reopen-embassies.html

If Saudi Arabia does join the BRICS and they do roll out a common currency, it's going to be the end of the petrodollar system.

golditiki2
03-15-2023, 01:59 PM
things are jazz, nothing seems to be stable. It was to be foreseen, the exponential extreme leveraging in order to extract money out of a crushed bone powder ends somewhere.

Humans never will be wise, it is impossible. The music stopped and now everybody is scrambling for a chair.
Of course governments will try to talk us into sleep, but anybody having a bit of understanding knows that when the ideck of the huge nverted pyramid is falling there is no escape. To jump from paper to paper is worthless, because all paper is rotten. Only real things and real services are valid assets. Ownership ( stocks may also be worth something but expressed in currency only part of what they might have been some days ago. Some stockvalues might hold, others go to zero. The big sifting will happen, no doubt, bank bancrupties or not, the system has to be weeded.

difficult to assess the future valuerelations between currencies. There will be big turbulences, that is for sure. If they bail out everybody, it the result will be hyperinflation, if not crashrecession. It requires skill to skipper between two deadly skerries.

Golditiki2+++

golditiki2
03-16-2023, 06:54 AM
tha latest info seems to tell us that the items bstressed banks sell are sold or accepted as collateral at PAR, it means in reality there is no arbitrage anymore and the Masters keep the needle of the (market)scales stuck.

That is like hollowing out the area upon which your house is built, apparently fine looking in reality on the point of collapsing into the cavity underneath. It will only take some time and that will happen, on a fine day when.

One of the indicators the new KING KONG will appear, will be a sudden organized drop in goldprices and then BADAM, the collapse will happen.

The Masters will congress in secret and simsalabim tell the world their solutions which they already had prepared for your " good" and for their profit.

Golditiki2+++