PDA

View Full Version : Bitcoin plunged as much as 20 percent hours after a rally past $11,000

WhatsUpDoc1958
11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
How's that pool boy doing now?

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Discussion about tulip bulbs in the video...

Bitcoin’s Wild Ride: A Rally, a Rout and Outages on the Exchanges (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/wild-bitcoin-ride-erases-2-200-in-five-hours-after-record-rally)
Bloomberg
November 29, 2017, 2:39 PM

Losses topped $2,000 in hours after hitting record $11,000
Coinbase, other exchanges report massive rise in traffic

Bitcoin plunged as much as 20 percent hours after a rally past $11,000 generated a surge in traffic at online exchanges that led to intermittent outages.

The plunge capped a wild day for the largest cryptocurrency that included a breakneck advance to a high of $11,434 before the reversal took it as low as $9,009. As of 3:36 p.m. in New York, it traded at $9,911.10, virtually unchanged from where it began the session.

Bitcoin had rallied 20 percent in just four days

“After doubling in such a short period of time, people are taking profits,”

Count Stacula
11-29-2017, 08:42 PM
It was a good buying opportunity for those who are into Bitcoin.

AnotherDave
11-29-2017, 08:54 PM
[Reply to Doc above, because the forum software is on the fritz again, and isn't quoting.]

When I point out that EVERY TRADE was done voluntarily, at whatever "price" they agreed upon, the room gets real quiet then talks about something else.

Poor Twisted Monk
11-29-2017, 11:46 PM
When I point out that EVERY TRADE was done voluntarily, at whatever "price" they agreed upon, the room gets real quiet then talks about something else.

That's the very definition of a market. When something goes to $0, every trade is also done voluntarily at agreed-upon prices.

AnotherDave
11-30-2017, 07:36 AM
That's the very definition of a market. When something goes to $0, every trade is also done voluntarily at agreed-upon prices.

That would be something's worth at market, yes. Are you making a case for manipulation? That can't be done with Bitcoin.

t00nces2
11-30-2017, 07:59 AM
How's that pool boy doing now?

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Discussion about tulip bulbs in the video...

Bitcoin’s Wild Ride: A Rally, a Rout and Outages on the Exchanges (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/wild-bitcoin-ride-erases-2-200-in-five-hours-after-record-rally)
Bloomberg
November 29, 2017, 2:39 PM

Losses topped $2,000 in hours after hitting record $11,000
Coinbase, other exchanges report massive rise in traffic

Bitcoin plunged as much as 20 percent hours after a rally past $11,000 generated a surge in traffic at online exchanges that led to intermittent outages.

The plunge capped a wild day for the largest cryptocurrency that included a breakneck advance to a high of $11,434 before the reversal took it as low as $9,009. As of 3:36 p.m. in New York, it traded at $9,911.10, virtually unchanged from where it began the session.

Bitcoin had rallied 20 percent in just four days

“After doubling in such a short period of time, people are taking profits,”

As badly as the haters hate, I think it has held up pretty good. Freedom is constantly under attack.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win

WhatsUpDoc1958
11-30-2017, 08:44 AM
I wonder if the the commentaries about hyperbolic blowoffs and comparisons with Tulip-Mania are correct.

On the other hand, I was experiencing deja vu all over again with the thought of buying a $1,000 of Ripple XRP in the last 3 months. (I didn't buy).
(I bought into gold and silver in 2012 and 2013). Ripple XRP was between $0.15 and $0.18 in August, up to $0.22 today, but down from its peak at $0.28.
In effect, I am worried about my skill in getting into investments at the wrong time, and having to wait years to recover.

How much of the bitcoin story within the last month is irrational exuberance and tales told by pool boys buying Bitcoin?

t00nces2
11-30-2017, 09:38 AM
I wonder if the the commentaries about hyperbolic blowoffs and comparisons with Tulip-Mania are correct.

On the other hand, I was experiencing deja vu all over again with the thought of buying a $1,000 of Ripple XRP in the last 3 months. (I didn't buy).
(I bought into gold and silver in 2012 and 2013). Ripple XRP was between $0.15 and $0.18 in August, up to $0.22 today, but down from its peak at $0.28.
In effect, I am worried about my skill in getting into investments at the wrong time, and having to wait years to recover.

How much of the bitcoin story within the last month is irrational exuberance and tales told by pool boys buying Bitcoin?

Yesterday, I was inclined to sell over 11K thinking I would buy back when it fell. I did not because I was worried about missing a big move to the upside. I feel your pain. We will never know. At one time, Yahoo and AOL were golden stocks, now, not so much. No matter what you do, you will always worry that you are making the wrong move, and the wrong moves will stick with your memory longer... Wrong moves seem to be interpreted as, "Boy! Was I phukin stupid!". "The right moves" seem to be interpreted by the brain as being the result of prescient insight after the fact... Boy! I can see these things coming! Since you will have anticipated the bad ahead of time to, bad moves will always sting because you had anticipated them too.

robtmil
11-30-2017, 09:52 AM
As badly as the haters hate, I think it has held up pretty good. Freedom is constantly under attack.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win

Exactly. Throughout bitcoin's history it's been normal to have 50% pullbacks. Smart people call them "buying opportunities".

AnotherDave
11-30-2017, 11:22 AM
. . . How much of the bitcoin story within the last month is irrational exuberance and tales told by pool boys buying Bitcoin?

Pool boys, and "internet experts".

Bitcoin is a currency, not an investment. Those starry-eyed future millionaires are going to be very disappointed if Bitcoin isn't soon supported by actual commerce.

Poor Twisted Monk
12-01-2017, 05:53 AM
That would be something's worth at market, yes. Are you making a case for manipulation? That can't be done with Bitcoin.

Not yet, but just wait till CME gets started with bitcoin derivatives...

Chump Change
12-01-2017, 05:58 AM
It's already started:

https://readwrite.com/2017/09/18/latoken-raises-millions-in-ico-to-create-the-first-asset-backed-token-exchange/

“My dream is to build a NASDAQ on Blockchain with a wider range of tradable assets, blurring the boundaries between the crypto and the real economies, ..."

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, sorta like mold

AnotherDave
12-01-2017, 10:34 AM

And by what logic is a derivative relevant to the name of what it is derived from?

I think we should start calling all derivatives "PTMs", after the guy who suckers us into a s s u m i n g there is any sort of connection to begin with!

AnotherDave
12-01-2017, 10:40 AM
It's already started:

https://readwrite.com/2017/09/18/latoken-raises-millions-in-ico-to-create-the-first-asset-backed-token-exchange/

“My dream is to build a NASDAQ on Blockchain with a wider range of tradable assets, blurring the boundaries between the crypto and the real economies, ..."

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, sorta like mold

With blockchain technology, there is no need for NASDAQ, NYSE, or the thousands of gate-keepers and regulatory industries that pop up around them.

That's a good thing!

golditiki2
12-01-2017, 01:21 PM

i read tdy two companies got the green light to start the derivative jock, soon there will be 100 papernothings for one " true" nothing.
Here we go, it was obvious that the destructors of value would not start exploiting a popular opportinity.

Golditiki2+++