PDA

View Full Version : Charting platinum to silver ratio

silverade
03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok, so, I'm very new to the whole technical analysis thing. I just bought a book on it and was kind of curious how it would work when looking at various metal ratios. In this case, I was looking at the platinum to silver ratio. I don't actually have a chart but I have recorded values since the beginning of the year. Back around mid January right before Platinum's big run the ratio fell from 102 at the beginning of the year to just under 96. It hovered there a couple of days and then shot up. Finally topping on 2/18 at almost 123. It hovered around 120 for a couple of days and then finally dropped back down. On March 17th it once again hit 96. It ended today at 109. Any thoughts on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree or does this type of analysis yield some potentially useful information about where things are headed over the next couple days/weeks.

I've attached my spreadsheet in .csv format.

dacrunch
03-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Don't have the set-up to do your numbers, but made a little drawing for you - if it helps... you'll have to do your own rise %s...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u37/dacrunch/5yr-Platinum-Silver-Compare.jpg

Freedom
04-22-2016, 09:58 AM
I've been following the platinum vs. silver trade ratios for some time now...
Note:
The PSR has been dropping...
we are where we were 3 years ago...60:1
Keep watching...
We get below 50:1 you may want to trade some silver for platinum

Davidwd
04-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Ok, so, I'm very new to the whole technical analysis thing. I just bought a book on it and was kind of curious how it would work when looking at various metal ratios. In this case, I was looking at the platinum to silver ratio. I don't actually have a chart but I have recorded values since the beginning of the year. Back around mid January right before Platinum's big run the ratio fell from 102 at the beginning of the year to just under 96. It hovered there a couple of days and then shot up. Finally topping on 2/18 at almost 123. It hovered around 120 for a couple of days and then finally dropped back down. On March 17th it once again hit 96. It ended today at 109. Any thoughts on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree or does this type of analysis yield some potentially useful information about where things are headed over the next couple days/weeks.

I've attached my spreadsheet in .csv format.

Hi what's the book called, it's something I would like to learn.

Freedom
04-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Silverade made that post 8 years ago...

Got Goldies
04-24-2016, 12:34 AM

There is no book.. You have to learn off the old school people like me.

Bobmhey
05-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Pretty nice idea for paper traders. But physical traders get killed on platinum markups. Not as bad a copper. Does anyone know a good copper to buy at say a hardware store that might be a good long term investment. Maybe get some copper pipe or wire at the store now and scrap for more in the future.

Freedom
06-16-2016, 07:38 AM
PSR dropping! 55.5:1
we are almost in trade territory!

we get below 50:1, be ready to pull the trigger!

trying
06-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Hey freedom just wondering if your ratio of 50:1 takes into consideration the high premiums on platinum. I was looking at the big A site and they are asking 1400 per eagle. Or are you looking at bars or cheaper coins? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for looking

Or maybe I should ask who you make the trade with?

Freedom
06-16-2016, 01:21 PM
go cheap...Maple leaf's or platypus coins, pamp-Suisse bars in assay cards...approx. $100 premium you will pay.
Yes, I do take the premium into consideration....that's why I don't buy the APE's...too crazy expensive.

at a 48:1 PS ratio, you should end up at approx. 52:1 on your actual physical trade.
I order the PT thru my LCS...and I sell him my Ag to pay for it.
He makes a little money on the buy and the sell...I got no problem with that.

approx. 2080 oz of silver will get you 40 oz of platinum.
when ratio reverts back to approx. 80:1...time to trade again.
you'll get approx. 75:1 in return....or...approx. 3000 ounces.

wouldn't you like 1000 free ounces of silver? I sure do!

approx. seems to be the word of the day! LOL

trying
06-16-2016, 10:49 PM
Hey thanks for the info. Sadly my options are few with lcs but I will have to go ask some questions from them. And two MB of free silver I guess that would kind of suck. NOT! Thanks again for the info

dan8802
07-02-2016, 01:33 PM
I think the information you get from running this data could certainly be useful to you, especially if you are considering trading the 2 metals.
Platinum and silver are both industrial metals that can be quite volatile at times, which could be used to your advantage. Viewing a chart of the ratio could also give insight into both metals, although there will be limitations.
Instead of recording the data and charting it yourself you can view such charts online.
Try this http://ptcalc.com/ratio-history

Freedom
07-03-2016, 08:54 AM
I plug the current PM prices into my chart to see the exact ratio at that point in time.
When I see a favorable trade ratio is getting close, I will start checking twice a day...
when I get real close to a trade, I will check hourly...look for a daily dip...and pounce on it!