PDA

View Full Version : Commodity boom and bet cycles

Rhodium9000
01-18-2016, 01:21 PM
The commodity boom of the mid-2000's ended in a bit of a bust with the financial crisis of 2008-2009. But now we seem to be experiencing a super-bust in commodity price. Take copper for example:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/copper-outlook-confounds-analysts-1452871585

My guess is that we are at a bottom, and a new set of commodity speculators may begin a new boom cycle. But each boom and bust cycle is always a bit different than the last one. My own guess is that we'll begin seeing a reversal in metals soon, but not driven by the economic fundamentals. The only real reason the the dollar is so strong is that we did QE before the rest of the world and they are only doing it now. The fact that we are not dependent on anyone else for oil also helped the dollar.

I suspect we will begin to see a turnaround in the next few months, but we also may not have seen the bottom quite yet.

Given the active demand for rhodium, I do think we have seen the bottom for this metal.

captainsilverton
01-18-2016, 07:24 PM
many, well from what i read, and what do i know?.. are already setting up to go long, on and in several of the commodities, including oil and pms..... oil the better bet imho.... in the long!!!...got time?

inct

Davidwd
01-19-2016, 02:57 AM
The commodity boom of the mid-2000's ended in a bit of a bust with the financial crisis of 2008-2009. But now we seem to be experiencing a super-bust in commodity price. Take copper for example:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/copper-outlook-confounds-analysts-1452871585

My guess is that we are at a bottom, and a new set of commodity speculators may begin a new boom cycle. But each boom and bust cycle is always a bit different than the last one. My own guess is that we'll begin seeing a reversal in metals soon, but not driven by the economic fundamentals. The only real reason the the dollar is so strong is that we did QE before the rest of the world and they are only doing it now. The fact that we are not dependent on anyone else for oil also helped the dollar.

I suspect we will begin to see a turnaround in the next few months, but we also may not have seen the bottom quite yet.

Given the active demand for rhodium, I do think we have seen the bottom for this metal.

I suppose now is the right time to buy - for the brave! Pt is at the lowest for almost a decade, quite tempting but I am suffering have losses in RH. Japan seems to be buying a lot of PT but it is still impossible to estimate current supply/demand/stock levels

CheGuevara
01-24-2016, 10:17 PM
I suppose now is the right time to buy - for the brave! Pt is at the lowest for almost a decade, quite tempting but I am suffering have losses in RH. Japan seems to be buying a lot of PT but it is still impossible to estimate current supply/demand/stock levels

Global growth is slowing and I would wait five years or so. Maybe gold could spike if the market tanks.