PDA

View Full Version : 1st time gold coin buyer

sen10
04-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Hi. I would like to buy my first gold coin and don't know with what to start. The purpose is to include gold in a diversified portfolio. Should I start with the American Gold Eagle, Gold Buffalo or Canadian Gold Maple Leaf ? Which one is more recognized internationally and would the higher premium on the American coins be preserved abroad or will be bought back at the same price as the Canadian Maple leaf? Would the 2015 Canadian Maple Leaf be better with the new security features? Buy the Brilliant Uncirculated or certified coin? Is it easy to sell gold coins ? Which ones and types (BU or Certified) do buyers/dealers prefer? How do you store the coins that come in the mint mylar plastic films? Will the 2006-W Gold Buffalo have more value since it is the 1st edition? Thanks for sharing your experience :)

captainsilverton
04-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Hi. I would like to buy my first gold coin and don't know with what to start. The purpose is to include gold in a diversified portfolio. Should I start with the American Gold Eagle, Gold Buffalo or Canadian Gold Maple Leaf ? Which one is more recognized internationally and would the higher premium on the American coins be preserved abroad or will be bought back at the same price as the Canadian Maple leaf? Buy the Brilliant Uncirculated or certified coin? Is it easy to sell gold coins ? Which ones and types (BU or Certified) do buyers/dealers prefer? How do you store the coins that come in the mint mylar plastic films? Will the 2006-W Gold Buffalo have more value since it is the 1st edition? Thanks for sharing your experience :)

read here, spend the time.. ya have a great resource of varied thought

welcome

inct

BADxxx
04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
If you are buying with $US and buying with the intent of investing then wait until the Federal reserve bank raises interest rates. No point in buying today at $1200 when the price will drop to $1100 or less over the next 3 years.

Customer Care
04-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Captainsilverton makes a good point. There is no right answer which covers all bases. If one product were undeniably better, you can imagine there wouldn't be such a variety available. We at Kitco do not generally deal with numismatic value of coins, opting rather to deal with common bullion coins, and certain limited edition releases from very known certified refiners such as the Perth Mint and Royal Canadian Mint. As such, we would not be able to buy 2006-W buffaloes at a higher price than any other, but other dealers who specialize in such items might.
As far as coin choices go, you are on the right track. When buying and selling back to Kitco, you would indeed be able to sell back at a higher price items which you initially paid a higher premium for, since this would enable us to resell them once again. You may open our buy and sell pages side by side in order to compare premiums. Please keep in mind that they may change according to market trends and supply/demand.
Unless specifically stated on the item description, packaging methods vary according to what we have in stock. If kept in the same condition, you can assume we would pay the same price for any items received as for one that is new of the same type. These are our general guidelines. However, these vary widely among dealers, and geographically. As such, your own careful research is the best course of action.
If you have any further questions about Kitco or bullion in general, please feel free to call us at 1-877-775-4826 between 8:30am and 10pm EST. It will be our pleasure to assist you.