PDA

View Full Version : A small copper find

VVS1MAN
02-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I was cleaning a house that was being remodeled today and saw copper wires and tubing on the floor so I asked the guy that owns the house what he was going to do with it. He tells me i can have it or throw it away. He said there wasnt enough for him to get excited about. So after I striped it all down I did get a few pounds out of it. Not a big find but it is a nice addition to the rest of my silver and copper stacks. Besides copper wire coils nice and small.

DagnyStalker
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
You gotta better price then me,but I just picked up 42# of clean copper for $3/# from my employer. Old computer heat sinks.

...My stack just got a whole lot HEAVIER

coolgenner
03-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Why do the pretty copper bullion bars go for 16 bucks a pound on eBay when copper is under 4 dollars a pound?

In the end isn't copper just copper?

Holdfast
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I was cleaning a house that was being remodeled today and saw copper wires and tubing on the floor so I asked the guy that owns the house what he was going to do with it. He tells me i can have it or throw it away. He said there wasnt enough for him to get excited about. So after I striped it all down I did get a few pounds out of it. Not a big find but it is a nice addition to the rest of my silver and copper stacks. Besides copper wire coils nice and small.

Well done.:)

Copper is always great to collect; even if you don't sell it as scrap. Every bloke should have a hoard of copper and brass for those handyman moments.

If you have the room to collect copper, aluminium and lead, you'll be surprised at how much you can accumulate over a few years. Over here, we recycle all our metals, nothing goes in the dump.

H

MyBids
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Nice find for sure. Except for the work striping it's free copper.

Why do the pretty copper bullion bars go for 16 bucks a pound on eBay when copper is under 4 dollars a pound?

In the end isn't copper just copper?

No copper is not copper. Especially if the copper is a piggy and I can
prove it. Got this off of the Goodwill site.

Joe Bob
03-03-2012, 12:04 AM
My oldest son works in construction and gets waste wire on a regular basis.He strips it while watching the tube.

Chump Change
03-03-2012, 01:23 AM
My oldest son works in construction and gets waste wire on a regular basis.He strips it while watching the tube.

I saw somewhere, if you start a fire and throw the wiring in the insulation will burn off leaving just the wire.:D

coolgenner
03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
so with the spot price of copper under four dollars, is 7.70 a pound (inlcuding shipping) a good deal? This is for .999 pure copper 10 pound bar for 77 dollars.

redraspberry
03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I saw somewhere, if you start a fire and throw the wiring in the insulation will burn off leaving just the wire.:D

Looks pretty when you burn it too. Changes the flame to green and blue. :D

Moonstruck
03-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Burning the plastic coasting off is going to lower the scrap value. You need to cut or peel the plastic off. To get payed the best price.

redraspberry
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
It's $0.30 a lb higher for bright copper over the burnt stuff here. If there is a lot of wire and some of it small gage then burning is the only way.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Burning the plastic coasting off is going to lower the scrap value. You need to cut or peel the plastic off. To get payed the best price.

Not to mention its not the greatest for the environment or the quality of air you breathe around you. :o