PDA

View Full Version : I found a palladium source..finally

gold stacks
11-25-2007, 03:43 PM
so My normal gold and silver guy has all of a sudden been buying up 'scrap palladium" jewelry products that ppl bring in> He said that most ppl think its platinum until he corects them.. In any even, he is silling to sell me scrap palladium in the form of jwelry for 3% BELOW spot because thats what he can get from the refiner AND he gets very little, maybe an ounce a month. So I have a couple one ounce bars but I think Im going to try this appraoch for a couple months.(total 3 ounces) just to have some diversification...

thoughts >?

ScrapBuyer
11-25-2007, 04:52 PM
3% below melt? My answer is an astounding no way. Refinement of palladium is not as simple as gold. Stick to pure hallmarked bars and rounds if you want palladium. A refiner does not pay 97% contained on palladium. I deal with 2 refiners, one pays 80% contained, and the other pays 98% contained, however there is a $500 lot fee and a per ounce fee. My advice on this one is to DYODD and think twice..

born2drv
11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
pd jewelry alloys are typically 95%, but the alloying metals can vary, sometimes ruthenium, sometimes iridium, sometimes even cobalt. And jewelery casting companies are very particular about which ones they use because it makes a big difference in manufacturing, so it's not something you want to mix, you really want to refine it pure then alloy.

anyhow i have about 1-2 oz of pd scrap i'm collecting as well since i'm a jeweler but i don't regularly have much so it's a slow process to accumulate. if you wish to pay 97% of 95% pure spot price, you can have mine as well ;) I don't think I'll have 1 kilo or so any time soon to make it worth refining.

Nibby boy
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't know what I'm gonna do with my palladium bars. they just sit there and smile back. I know that darn metal is worth a boatload, but it just refuses to budge. I'll buy some more scrap for the jeweler to turn into a ring for my wife (She likes Palladium now more than Gold).

meh...hope it stays cheap a little while longer. Maybe I'll have enough to make a palladium-ware out of it. Man that would be awesome. Palladium forks and knives, and a spoon!